• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrefpvs

Andrex said:
Hey with B/W that's not really an insult anymore. ;).

Hehe, yeah, I agree. For example, the story. There was a post a little while back from someone who was not very familiar with Pokémon saying that B/W story was a 2/10 at least, but they don't know how we had it throughout all these years.

I'm very pleased with B/W, can't wait to go home and play the final story battles (saved right in front of
Zekrom
).

Woffls

HolyCheck said:
just caught a level 5 abra :D false swipes + lots of pokeballs + white forest = fun
I've only found like 8 different species in white forest :( Does it change based on the time of day or seasons or anything?

Suairyu

Banned
Andrefpvs said:
Hehe, yeah, I agree. For example, the story. There was a post a little while back from someone who was not very familiar with Pokémon saying that B/W story was a 2/10 at least, but they don't know how we had it throughout all these years.

I'm very pleased with B/W, can't wait to go home and play the final story battles (saved right in front of
Zekrom
).
In fairness to that poster, you should hold Pokémon to the standards of other games in the medium, not other entries in the same series.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the story, but I would like GameFreak to take it further with Gen VI.

I don't even mean over-arching story, because I think ultimately that should always be at it's simplest "I wanna be the very best". But having a lot more mini-stories in all the cities, the character development of your rival(s) (especially Bianca this time around, that has been so satisfying to watch), the way all the gym leaders know each other and seem like friends, helping each other out. All that stuff.

Nearing the 6th gym with

Pignite: 32

Stoutland: 32

Tirtouga: 30

Vanillite: 30

Munna: 30

Unfezant: 32

I'm planning on getting them all up to level 36 or so before I challenge the 6th gym.

Andrefpvs

Suairyu said:
In fairness to that poster, you should hold Pokémon to the standards of other games in the medium, not other entries in the same series.

Yes, yes, of course! I was not saying they were wrong. Even Final Fantasy I had more story than most Pokémon games. I was just saying that there was a reason old fans were pleased by the changes in storytelling, something that perhaps newcomers to the series would not understand.

Suairyu said:
I'm pleasantly surprised with the story, but I would like GameFreak to take it further with Gen VI.

Me too. I always thought about a game where, I dunno, something really intriguing is going on, like you solve the mysteries and end the story, and then you worry about the badges and the league. Or anything similar that would break away from the traditional Gyms->League->Champion foundation.

Suairyu

Banned
Izayoi said:
If the story followed a format similar to the Special manga I'd be ecstatic.
How did that go?

And you guys all know that the best story would be beating the champion and then Oak introducing himself and being all "here's a camera and an on-rail transport vehicles now go take pictures of Pokémon" and it turns into Pokémon snap and your career as a Pokémon Watcher begins.

Izayoi

Banned
Suairyu said:
How did that go?
Everyone fucks everything up, hardcore.

Elite Four trying to take over the world/kill everyone, gym leaders go to war with the Elite Four. Blaine grafts himself to Mewtwo (I shit you not).

It's fucking awesome.

Suairyu

Banned
Izayoi said:
Everyone fucks everything up, hardcore.

Elite Four trying to take over the world/kill everyone, gym leaders go to war with the Elite Four. Blaine grafts himself to Mewtwo (I shit you not).

It's fucking awesome.
Minus the grafting part, that sounds like a great plotline.

Izayoi

Banned
Suairyu said:
Minus the grafting part, that sounds like a great plotline.
Well not so much grafting as using his own cells and Mew's cells to create Mewtwo.

He worked with Rocket as the lead scientist on the project.

In any case, it's awesome. At one point Rocket took over Saffron city. Trainers of all kinds participated and it was for all intents and purposes a war zone, the streets were crowded with Pokemon battles and the city was burned the ground.

The manga does a great job of putting Pokemon in a far more realistic light than the show or games (up until Gen V maybe). It shows just how dangerous Legendary Pokemon actually are and how powerful Pokemon in general are. Hell, Red and Giovanni destroyed the Viridian City gym in their battle.

Shit's neat.

Morokh

About White Forest.

Items appear randomly every-day in it, but what about Pokemons ?
Do they only change when you connect to a Black version ? or on a x-day basis ?

and I guess Heylink is local wireless only :eek:

Woffls said:
I've only found like 8 different species in white forest :( Does it change based on the time of day or seasons or anything?

In order to get more pokemon in the white forest you need to use the Entralink feature with someone who has Pokemon Black this apparently can only be done locally.

Jinko

Woffls said:

You have to invite NPC's to come to white forest using entralink, the more trainers who visit the forest the more pokemon are avliable to catch.

Is pretty lame if you don't have someone locally playing the game to connect to.

You can get most of them through the dream world but its not avalible until the 30th and it all depends on what pokemon Game Freak have in the dream world at that time.

As for gen VI im hoping for proper DLC and yea an evolution in story telling would be great.

Woffls

Hatchet Man said:
In order to get more pokemon in the white forest you need to use the Entralink feature with someone who has Pokemon Black this apparently can only be done locally.
God dammit >_< I'm renting Pokémon Black when I get my 3DS, hopefully I'll get Entralink early on.

Also, how early on can I trade between two copies of the game locally? Going through the whole thing and beating the Elite 4 just to trade a starter and Reshiram is... actually, yeah, totally worth it.

Fewr

Woffls said:
God dammit >_< I'm renting Pokémon Black when I get my 3DS, hopefully I'll get Entralink early on.

Also, how early on can I trade between two copies of the game locally? Going through the whole thing and beating the Elite 4 just to trade a starter and Reshiram is... actually, yeah, totally worth it.
After first gym, which is about an hour or two after starting if text speed is mid, and animations on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
farnham said:
white forest is the best thing ever

who said black city was better ?
Well they can buy items without the need to hunt for them, but the prices are ridiculous. Fresh Water is §1000!

Chorazin

Playing White with hundreds of other people was so crazy at PAX East. The amount of local connectivity options the C-Gear gives is really crazy. using the Entralink was nuts, seeing a Pikachu run up to you and give you a bonus power was so neat, and going into someone else's game was crazy fun!

It's like a whole different game now. :(

Roto13

Does the guy in Castelia city count traded Pokemon or Pokemon with different Trainer IDs? I transferred a bunch of stuff from HeartGold and it shot me up past 50 trades. Got me a Master Ball. :p (And a bunch of other stuff.)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
More stupid GTS stuff...

Like Cofagrigus, Marshtomp and Skuntank can't be traded with their official names over the GTS due to the "sht" and "kunt" in their names. >.>

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Watch Da Birdie said:
More stupid GTS stuff...

Like Cofagrigus, Marshtomp and Skuntank can't be traded with their official names over the GTS due to the "sht" and "kunt" in their names. >.>

lol wtf.

Zzoram

Lol at GTS filter fail. Why didn't they exempt official Pokemon names? Can they somehow update GTS to fix it now or is it locked in until Grey?

Zzoram

Meier said:
For the primarily non-PVPers out there, how many keep Leer, etc.? I usually end up giving it up...
I have no idea how to build PvP Pokemon. I usually just keep strong STAB attacks and maybe 1 buff or debuff for instances where I encounter a type I'm weak against.

Zzoram said:
Lol at GTS filter fail. Why didn't they exempt official Pokemon names? Can they somehow update GTS to fix it now or is it locked in until Grey?

I'm sure they can. I remember legendaries being banned for a short time on the GTS in early Diamond & Pearl, but they ended up fixing that as well...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zzoram said:
Well they managed to ban the move sky drop so I guess they could update the filter list. Add in Sonic as well with the reason of "Not cool enough"

Adamant, Docile, Rash, Bold and Timid Dittos so far.

Jinko

Watch Da Birdie said:
More stupid GTS stuff...

LOL fail !

survivor

Banned
Meier said:
For the primarily non-PVPers out there, how many keep Leer, etc.? I usually end up giving it up...
Early game I like to keep it just in case I'm facing a Pokemon with high defense. After this it's gone.

Generally the only non-attacking moves that I keep in-game are Swords Dance, Curse or Dragon Dance.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gosh darn Zen Mode Darmanitan. Confusion due to Thrash plus sandstorm meant it KO'd its dumbass self. Grr. Any way I could get another RageCandyBar and try again?

Wiseblade

Meier said:
Very few of those moves are any good in-game. Like, who's going to bother setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes against Youngster Joey?

Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Quiver Dance and Coil give a noticable benefit after one use, so they're cool.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Gosh darn Zen Mode Darmanitan. Confusion due to Thrash plus sandstorm meant it KO'd its dumbass self. Grr. Any way I could get another RageCandyBar and try again?
Bulbapedia says they're obtainable in Icirrus City, but only in winter.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Bulbapedia says they're obtainable in Icirrus City, but only in winter.

Nice!

Speaking of, am I correct in understanding that:

The unreachable places in Icirrus City are accessible during the winter, and the unreachable places in Pinwheel Forest are accessible during the spring?
Any other places I'm forgetting? Any places only accessible in autumn?

Busaiku

So has anyone else been having problems with super effective moves?
Most times, a move is super effective (like say Rock Slide on a Mandibuzz), but rarely it might not be.

Is this a new mechanic, or just a problem with QC?

Does anyone know any good gridning spots? I'm up to the E4 at ATM with 2 level 50s and the rest were caught level 40-ish so their stats suck. They keep getting beaten by level 30s. :(

Dammit, this is the third day in a row the Musical Man in Opelucid City hasn't given me an item! I haven't been messing with the clock. Has this happened to anyone else? I tried doing a google search but couldn't find anyone with the same problem

Raxus

Mr. Paer said:
Dammit, this is the third day in a row the Musical Man in Opelucid City hasn't given me an item! I haven't been messing with the clock. Has this happened to anyone else? I tried doing a google search but couldn't find anyone with the same problem
Why would you want the props? They are utterly worthless.

Woffls

God. Damn. FINALLY.

Caught Metang at lvl 63 after god knows how many ultra balls and restarts. Harder than any other to catch so far for me. But then, I'm only false-swiping as I've not bothered to see if I have anything that knows slp/par/frz/brn etc moves yet. I probably have.

Suairyu

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
Maybe you already collected all 100?
Raxus said:
They help you perform in the Musical Theatre.

Raxus said:
Collecting all 100 props turns your trainer card a different color, and it's easy enough to spend five seconds talking to the Musical Dude everyday

Plus who knows when I'll want to make my Excadrill all fancy for a night out on the town
Suairyu said:
Maybe you already collected all 100?
I bought the game launch day. The only props I have (other than what you start with) are the ones he has given me.

Maybe I have to actually perform in the musical every once in a while for him to keep giving me free shit? After all, he DOES ask me if I'm a huge musical fan each day, and I keep lying to him. He can probably check entrance records for contestants and verify that I am indeed not a huge musical fan. That sneaky bastard

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Chorazin said:
Playing White with hundreds of other people was so crazy at PAX East. The amount of local connectivity options the C-Gear gives is really crazy. using the Entralink was nuts, seeing a Pikachu run up to you and give you a bonus power was so neat, and going into someone else's game was crazy fun!

It's like a whole different game now. :(

It's just a shame most people will never get that experience. I doubt even the biggest nerd convention here will have many people with the game present.

Suairyu

Banned
Nils said:
It's just a shame most people will never get that experience. I doubt even the biggest nerd convention here will have many people with the game present.
Oh, to be an eight year old Japanese girl!

Salaadin

Suairyu said:
They help you perform in the Musical Theatre.

Oh man, that made me laugh. :^O

I beat Gym 5 last night. He was simple compared to #4. I was expecting more of a challenge from him.
I want his 3rd pokemon though. That thing was huge and cool looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom