• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, I'm trying to catch Landorus, using Poké Balls only. So far, I've managed to catch every single Pokémon currently catchable in the Unova dex, except him.

It's very frustrating, since the approximate maximum chance when he's at ~1 HP is 1.2%. Gah.

Gravijah

ColtraineGF said:
Currently, I'm trying to catck Landorus, using Poké Balls only. So far, I've managed to catch every single Pokémon currently catchable in the Unova dex, except him.

It's very frustrating, since the approximate maximum chance when he's at ~1 HP is 1.2%. Gah.

Plus critical catch! I don't think I've ever had one on a legendary, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Probably, since I was only skimming posts in that thread for the most part. Was scurred of spoilers.
Well then here you go. Hopefully it will make sense of some of it.

1270681646331ymnu.png

Essentially, Arceus existed before the Universe.

He created the beings of Time, Space, and Anti-matter, who in turn created the Universe. After the Universe was created, they created the beings of Sky, Land, and Sea, falling dormant afterward and observing their creation from their own dimensions.

The Sky Trio created Earth, and the beings who shaped the planet (the Regis and Heatran).

Arceus also created the beings of the intangible. Those who governed over Emotion, Knowledge, Willpower, and Wishes.

From these Pokemon all modern-day Pokemon were born.

Note that the image links Mewtwo and Deoxys but their only real connection is that they're both related to DNA.

Is it sad I play Pokemon games for the story? I mean, once I beat the E4 and finish up some of the other stuff, I just stop. I've never been big on the post game and competitive stuff. Does that make me less of a fan? :(

Raxus

Izayoi said:
Emboar has a ton of options. Unfortunately his true potential is hidden away in the Dream World still, but you've got a ton of options to work with here.

Flame Charge/Flare Blitz
Head Smash/Earthquake/Stone Edge
Wild Charge
Hammer Arm (I would say Superpower but it's an Egg move unfortunately.)

The great thing about unlimited use TMs is that now you get to play around with movesets as much as you want. Go crazy.
Why so many moves that will damage my pokemon? (Emboar can't learn Hammer Arm sadly).

Teknoman

MidnightCowboy said:
Is it sad I play Pokemon games for the story? I mean, once I beat the E4 and finish up some of the other stuff, I just stop. I've never been big on the post game and competitive stuff. Does that make me less of a fan? :(

Not really.

Raxus said:
Why so many moves that will damage my pokemon? (Emboar can't learn Hammer Arm sadly).

I think its a move it has to remember.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think Mew created Arceus, who went on to create everything else, but other than that, good jorb Izayoi.

Izayoi

Banned
MidnightCowboy said:
Not at all. You're just as much of a fan as the guy who spends an entire day breeding natures or IVs.

Everyone enjoys Pokemon in their own way.

Raxus said:
Battle Subway is all about killing before you're killed - doing as much damage as fast as possible no matter the cost to your own Pokemon. The aim is not for endurance.

Also, he can learn Hammer Arm. Take a Heart Scale to the Move Family.

zumphry

Banned
Izayoi said:
Not at all. You're just as much of a fan as the guy who spends an entire day breeding natures or IVs.

Everyone enjoys Pokemon in their own way.

What about....well....those people?

HeartGold>SoulSilver people, I mean. ;)

Izayoi

Banned
Andrex said:
I think Mew created Arceus, who went on to create everything else, but other than that, good jorb Izayoi.
That's not correct, though. Mew was merely the forerunner of most modern Pokemon. Mew himself was a descendant of the mind trio.

Pokemon story is serious business.

Small Mailman said:
You ever think that maybe Pokemon isn't meant to be thought about this hard?
Gamefreak is actually surprisingly detailed and consistent with their lore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
That's not correct, though. Mew was merely the forerunner of most modern Pokemon. Mew himself was a descendant of the mind trio.

Pokemon story is serious business.

Says who? If the Pokedex said Mew created all Pokemon, then we have to accept that as fact, or it introduces the possibility that none of the dex entries are telling the truth. So with that in mind, anything that can be captured inside a Pokeball is a "Pokemon." No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I say, the Pokeballs only work because everything it descended from Mew, they all share some strain of DNA or something that makes them separate from humans. In your view though, there are multiple non-human, non-Pokemon "beings" that logically should not be able to be caught in Pokeballs, yet they are.

Raxus

Izayoi said:
Battle Subway is all about killing before you're killed - doing as much damage as fast as possible no matter the cost to your own Pokemon. The aim is not for endurance.

Also, he can learn Hammer Arm. Take a Heart Scale to the Move Family.
Good to know. Speaking of heart scales, where can I get more if I need them?

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Says who? If the Pokedex said Mew created all Pokemon, then we have to accept that as fact, or it introduces the possibility that none of the dex entries are telling the truth. So with that in mind, anything that can be captured inside a Pokeball is a "Pokemon." No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I say, the Pokeballs only work because everything it descended from Mew, they all share some strain of DNA or something that makes them separate from humans. In your view though, there are multiple non-human, non-Pokemon "beings" that logically should not be able to be caught in Pokeballs, yet they are.

I've never thought of Dex entries as 100% fact, but more lore, myths, etc surrounding said Pokemon. You also have to keep in mind that certain things are changed later/retconned... and I think Arceus being the creator of all Pokemon is one of them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
I've never thought of Dex entries as 100% fact, but more lore, myths, etc surrounding said Pokemon. You also have to keep in mind that certain things are changed later/retconned... and I think Arceus being the creator of all Pokemon is one of them.

But the HG/SS and B/W entries state Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon... Ancestor meaning, probably didn't create every Pokemon one by one (Arceus probably did), but that he's more of a grandfather. If he created Arceus and left it at that, then that fits the bill.

Also, in no dex entry did it state Arceus created any Pokemon at all:

Diamond: It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Pearl: It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed.
Platinum: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.
HeartGold/SoulSilver: According to the legends of Sinnoh, this Pokémon emerged from an egg and shaped all there is in this world.
Black/White: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.

(It is worth noting that the dex entries clearly state whether or not the info is from a myth or not.)

All it said is Arceus made the universe. Not any Pokemon. Most likely, Mew made Arceus, Arceus made the universe, then Mew made some more Pokemon. Arceus probably made some of his own, like the emotion trio, but those are still descendants of Mew, and thus carry the unique Pokemon DNA.

TheOGB

Banned
Gravijah said:
who in the hell would full a fucking database with myths

Gravijah

Andrex said:
But the HG/SS and B/W entries state Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon... Ancestor meaning, probably didn't create every Pokemon one by one (Arceus probably did), but that he's more of a grandfather. If he created Arceus and left it at that, then that fits the bill.

Diamond: It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Pearl: It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed.
Platinum: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.
HeartGold/SoulSilver: According to the legends of Sinnoh, this Pokémon emerged from an egg and shaped all there is in this world.
Black/White: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.

(It is worth noting that the dex entries clearly state whether or not the info is from a myth or not.)

All it said is Arceus made the universe. Not any Pokemon. Most likely, Mew made Arceus, Arceus made the universe, then Mew made some more Pokemon. Arceus probably made some of his own, like the emotion trio, but those are still descendants of Mew, and thus carry the unique Pokemon DNA.

Well, I think creating "everything" includes Pokemon. It also says he emerged from nothing, meaning no Mew or anything... Unless you see Mew as some kind of Godlike figure.

TheOGB said:

Professor Oak, that's who.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Well, I think creating "everything" includes Pokemon. It also says he emerged from nothing, meaning no Mew or anything... Unless you see Mew as some kind of Godlike figure.

I take "from nothing" as meaning, an empty void. No space, no matter. Mew probably existed in this void before it created Arceus. For how long? Who knows.

And it clearly said creating the universe (or "shaping the world"), I don't take that as meaning sentient life. The dex entries would mention that if it were the case. It sounds like creating matter, space, and time.

Izayoi

Banned
Andrex said:

You know, they explained all of this in the movies.

Arceus created everything. He is God, it's basically explicitly stated.

The entire 12th movie was about him trying to undo his creations because they had turned on him.

We have God himself telling us what happened as opposed to the rather wishy-washy "some scientists believe" note in the dex.

I think that's evidence enough.

TheOGB said:
Don't make me bust out the PokeScience image. The dex entries are the observation of kids who go out and explore, and general myths and/or lore about the Pokemon that have been passed on through stories. Very little of it is actual scientific observation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You're using the anime as canon, really? And not even the main anime canon, the movie canon?

And I have to rewatch the movies but I don't think it's ever explicitly stated Arceus created sentient life.

Gravijah

ZayneH said:
"Now, what was my grandson's name again? Oh, that's right! His name was Dicks!"

I used to think that when Professor Oak said "Erm", he was asking his assistant named "Erm" what his grandsons name was.

Big One

Banned
@ image

There's tons of flaws with that. For one, Lugia isn't the leader of the legendary birds. He isn't even a bird, he's a dragon. The anime will try to tell you different but whatever.

Heatran doesn't have any relation to the other legendaries, and Jirachi doesn't have a direct relation to Arceus. Deoxys shouldn't be connected to anything either. I'm also not sure why it pairs the pixie trio to Mew...

Here's what I think about Pokemon lore:

Arceus isn't actually god, he just has god-like powers in scale. His place in Pokemon myth is just that...myth. Religion. It's what the people of Sinnoh believe in - or, at one time they did.

Mew is science, it provides a theory to the origin of Pokemon based off factual evidence. It's the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think people like connect all of the legendary Pokemon in some type of pantheon, but I think they clearly represent different forms of ideas of how things work in the Pokemon universe...hence, being called "legendary" they're just rare Pokemon with high stats and some legends about them.

Izayoi

Banned
Andrex said:
You're using the anime as canon, really? And not even the main anime canon, the movie canon?

And I have to rewatch the movies but I don't think it's ever explicitly stated Arceus created sentient life.
It's part of the Pokemon universe, why wouldn't I be?

Also, Cyrus was aiming to use Arceus to recreate the universe with no Pokemon or people aside from Cyrus himself.

You figure something that could erase space and beings could also bring them into existence.

Also in keeping with the strong Chinese-inspired mythology and imagery of the Pokemon universe, Arceus' history matches the Chinese god of creation Pangu almost word for word. Both existed before the universe in a cosmic egg, and when they hatched they created everything. Nothing existed before either of them.

His name also means "highest god" in Latin (arch, deus), which implies there are none who preceded him.

Big One

Banned
Izayoi said:
It's part of the Pokemon universe, why wouldn't I be?
Because of blatant contradictions, different character names (not to mention differences between character incarnations), different stories, different setting where there's a crapload of towns that don't exist in the games? There's different Pokemon continuities, simple as that. Of course a lot of those are gag manga...

Izayoi

Banned
Big One said:
@ image

There's tons of flaws with that. For one, Lugia isn't the leader of the legendary birds. He isn't even a bird, he's a dragon. The anime will try to tell you different but whatever.

Heatran doesn't have any relation to the other legendaries, and Jirachi doesn't have a direct relation to Arceus. Deoxys shouldn't be connected to anything either. I'm also not sure why it pairs the pixie trio to Mew...

Here's what I think about Pokemon lore:

Arceus isn't actually god, he just has god-like powers in scale. His place in Pokemon myth is just that...myth. Religion. It's what the people of Sinnoh believe in - or, at one time they did.

Mew is science, it provides a theory to the origin of Pokemon based off factual evidence. It's the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think people like connect all of the legendary Pokemon in some type of pantheon, but I think they clearly represent different forms of ideas of how things work in the Pokemon universe...hence, being called "legendary" they're just rare Pokemon with high stats and some legends about them.
So you're going to completely ignore a huge aspect of Pokemon lore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom