• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

The Lamp said:
When was the last time Nintendo had terrible grammar mistakes in Pokemon like "I think gotten to know you"?

Speaking of, whoever took those screenshots is using shitty emulator filtering. I already hate them. ;(

1. In 'chaos', an egg is created.
2. Arceus is born.
3. Arceus creates Dialga (time), and Palkia (space). (and maybe Giratina [anti-time/space], but it was forgotten)
4. Arceus creates Uxie (knowledge), Mesprit (emotion), and Azelf (will).
5. Dialga and Palkia create 'matter'.
6. Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf create 'spirit'.
7. Arceus rests (<_<)

That's all from the Gen 4 games. Arceus himself doesn't create anything else, save for those 'Pokémon' (more like deities, really), who create the universe.

Aside from this, the other legendaries (myth-wise) came from other sources, some clear, some not-so-clear. Like where Celebi first comes in, seeing as there are an infinite amount of them due to time travel.

Fewr

Zomba13 said:
So... Ruby and Sapphire take place in the Mew timeline?
Haha.

Btw, I just visited the Desert, and found a psychic trainer who more or less mentioned the "let me show you them" line.

Poyunch

ZayneH said:
I'm probably the only one who thinks something like this could be implemented into the battle system. Like, specific parts of each Pokemon's body would be effected more or less by attacks (physical ones only?).

Sure, Pikachu being effective at all on a Ground/Rock type is stupid, but still.
Yeah maybe for a spinoff. It might shake up the system too much.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Did anyone else find some odd hints in B/W that the fundamental nature of the Pokemon universe is...off somehow?
Like Juniper making the comment about Klink only showing up 100 years ago, or how ridiculous a lot of the legendary lore is, or the fact that this is obviously taking place on an alternate earth. It makes me think of a sci-fi or fantasy story concept with a world shaped by people's perceptions and desires. Where Pokemon spring into being based on cultural memes. Maybe even being passed into the world by the thoughts of a world like ours, hence why so many of them resemble animals.

I'm reading too much into this, but its little niggling comments like that that make me hopeful there's some deeper, meta-story going on.

Dartastic

Izayoi said:
Well then here you go. Hopefully it will make sense of some of it.

1270681646331ymnu.png

Essentially, Arceus existed before the Universe.

He created the beings of Time, Space, and Anti-matter, who in turn created the Universe. After the Universe was created, they created the beings of Sky, Land, and Sea, falling dormant afterward and observing their creation from their own dimensions.

The Sky Trio created Earth, and the beings who shaped the planet (the Regis and Heatran).

Arceus also created the beings of the intangible. Those who governed over Emotion, Knowledge, Willpower, and Wishes.

From these Pokemon all modern-day Pokemon were born.

Note that the image links Mewtwo and Deoxys but their only real connection is that they're both related to DNA.

What the fuck.

Poyunch

789shadow said:
Remember Thunder Armor from the Tate and Liza fight?
Pikachu and Swellow used Deus Ex Machina!
Well I stopped watching after the Johto season ended but yeah I saw that clip. :lol

The_Technomancer said:
Did anyone else find some odd hints in B/W that the fundamental nature of the Pokemon universe is...off somehow?
Like Juniper making the comment about Klink only showing up 100 years ago, or how ridiculous a lot of the legendary lore is, or the fact that this is obviously taking place on an alternate earth. It makes me think of a sci-fi or fantasy story concept with a world shaped by people's perceptions and desires. Where Pokemon spring into being based on cultural memes. Maybe even being passed into the world by the thoughts of a world like ours, hence why so many of them resemble animals.

I'm reading too much into this, but its little niggling comments like that that make me hopeful there's some deeper, meta-story going on.
You're stealing my idea for this game I've wanted to make!!!! Nooooo

Gravijah

A few things I'm curious about:

Are they getting rid of Pokemon being in "our" world? Unova is supposed to be based on America, specifically NYC. In past games, places like South America have been mentioned.

Have we seen all of Unova? To the north and west there's nothing but forest. Maybe we'll journey there during Grey or a sequel? Is Unova part of a bigger region, like the prior games?

Gravijah said:

Are they getting rid of Pokemon being in "our" world? Unova is supposed to be based on America, specifically NYC. In past games, places like South America have been mentioned.

Have we seen all of Unova? To the north and west there's nothing but forest. Maybe we'll journey there during Grey or a sequel? Is Unova part of a bigger region, like the prior games?
Unova know.

Gravijah said:

d6r0el.jpg

The square is where Unova is. This map was from an early episode of BW.

789shadow

Banned
TheOGB said:
To be fair, the movies don't even seem to be canon with the anime. :p
They do demonstrate, however, that Team Rocket is far more skilled at being good guys than they are at being bad guys.......
But after Best Wishes!,............

TheOGB said:

son of a bitch

They go back and forth. Like Ash remembered Lucario's hadou in an episode where he faced that one gym leader chick who had a Lucario.

Regulus Tera said:
So can the move deleter erase HM moves?

Yes, that is why they exist. You can delete other moves when you learn new ones, but HM moves have to be deleted by the Move Deleter.

Gravijah

ColtraineGF said:
http://i.imgur.com/d6r0el.jpg[IMG]
The square is where Unova is. This map was from an early episode of BW.[/QUOTE]

Mmm, look at all those possibilities! That also confirms that Earth (?) in Pokemon isn't based on our Earth, at least in the Anime.

Big One

Banned
Izayoi said:
Well originally this all started when I explained the origin of the Legendary Pokemon to Gravijah, a topic which spans all of the media.
The movies are already in canon with the anime in their own ways. It isn't that hard to say this cause there is some major discrepancies that the anime episodes have with each other in general, so fitting it all into a single canon isn't very hard in the long run. Even then the movies don't provide a gateway to how the legendary Pokemon are in the games. Lucario and Zoraork certainly aren't legendary or have any real myths behind them in the video games, Mewtwo and Entei supposedly talk (the later has a completely different origin in the movie), Lugia is mistaken as a bird and made leader of the legendary bird trio, etc.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
A few things I'm curious about<b></b>:

It's all over the place. Nobody is really sure, but the only official map we have that shows all of the regions in one image is this:

However if you piece together each of the regions based on the real-life areas that they resemble it looks more like this:

mR2kf.jpg

TheOGB said:
No, but they deal far more heavily with the myths and legends of the universe as opposed to the anime which barely touches on them (with the exception of Best Wishes, it seems like).

They're far more relevant to the current discussion than the anime has ever been.

Izayoi

Banned
Big One said:
The movies are already in canon with the anime in their own ways. It isn't that hard to say this cause there is some major discrepancies that the anime episodes have with each other in general, so fitting it all into a single canon isn't very hard in the long run. Even then the movies don't provide a gateway to how the legendary Pokemon are in the games. Lucario and Zoraork certainly aren't legendary or have any real myths behind them in the video games, Mewtwo and Entei supposedly talk (the later has a completely different origin in the movie), Lugia is mistaken as a bird and made leader of the legendary bird trio, etc.
The movies never state that Lucario or Zoroark are Legendary, do they? I don't think anyone ever calls Lugia a bird, either. At least not in the Japanese version of the movie.

We know through dialogue and information in the games that certain Pokemon are capable of communication via telepathy - I don't see how the movies visualizing that aspect discredits them.

I dunno, it seems like they're fairly accurate. They're obviously sanctioned by Gamefreak so they can't be too far off the mark, right?

Izayoi

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Oh man if in Gen VI has you return to Unova I think Gen V and Gen VI might top my love for the first two gens.
Wouldn't that be something?

Gravijah said:
...What if Pokemon Grey is a sequel?
Wouldn't THAT be something?

The way they set up the end of this game it's a definite possibility.

Red

Dartastic said:
What the fuck.
Haha, I react the same way, but the games make it pretty clear that this is the way things happened. The idea I always got was that, as "legendary" or "mythical" Pokemon, stories were built up around these guys by old cultures (pre-Trainers), and that they aren't necessarily true (but could be).

There's meant to be a sense of wonder around them, and I think that comes across effectively -- especially for a younger audience.

Izayoi

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
What are the reigons located between Hoenn and Johto, and between Johto/Kanto and Sinnoh?

Also Pokemon 2000 and Pokemon 3 had better be canon. So much cool stuff with Lugia and the Unowns.
Orre and Fiore, I believe.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, as cool as Unova was, I am getting kind of bummed out at how small the worlds/how short the main quest in each game is. I would love to have something similar to G/S "second quest", only maybe sometime they remake the entirety of the Kanto-derivative region.

Well I've got 372 in the dex and 55 hours & 30 minutes as my playtime.

Leveling up so many Pokémon that I won't be using is such a pain in the ass c.c

So glad I didn't buy both versions in English.

Big One

Banned
Izayoi said:
The movies never state that Lucario or Zoroark are Legendary, do they?
Yes, yes they do.
Izayoi said:
We know through dialogue and information in the games that certain Pokemon are capable of communication via telepathy - I don't see how the movies visualizing that aspect discredits them.
Communication via telepathy =/= human speaking, but I've never seen this dialogue you speak of so I can't really comment on that. The movies being in the same universe as the anime already discredits them for simply having Pokemon that repeatedly say their names over and over again.
Izayoi said:
I dunno, it seems like they're fairly accurate. They're obviously sanctioned by Gamefreak so they can't be too far off the mark, right?
No, they aren't. Before the anime was made, a major person at Gamefreak did make rules to what the anime should follow. I forgot his name but I remember reading this is Iwata's Ask about Gamefreak's input on the anime being rather minimal. One of the rules was that Ash/Satoshi was to stay the protagonist forever. After that, the anime just did whatever it want. It's writers aren't the same as the people who write the Pokemon game, and aside from Gamefreak getting credited, they aren't really ordered to do anything from them. Gamefreak is a very small company and has no real big business stature like Nintendo does. The Pokemon anime is there to advertise the games for Nintendo to sell them.

Amory

Pokemon baffles me. I mean, when I was a kid and I bought a game boy color and pokemon red, I played through the game start to finish and I couldn't wait to turn it on and play more. Teachers even took away our game boys when they found us trying to play during class.

Fifteen(?) years later, I just can't do it anymore. I still get the appeal of the game, but I just can't justify grinding 90% of the time and playing through a storyline that refuses to change in any significant way between iterations. I mean in actuality, the story seems to have gotten worse since the first games, since basically everything seems the same, with the only exception being that everyone is nice to the player now, and no one seems remotely interested in defeating you in battles. Having a "rival" instead of "friends" at least was motivating.

I don't regret buying pokemon white, but I know for a fact that it's not for me anymore. And that's alright, but it sort of sucks too. :/

Fewr

Funny, I never played blue/red at school, and now I sometimes do a quick battle at work when waiting for a big file to be opened, or when waiting for a lengthy process to finish.

Kyzer

Banned
I think. Its like. In terms of Mew and Arceus's relationship.

Arceus created Mew. Mew transformed all the time (through imagination, destiny, or the will of Arceus, idk) into many different species, and made them permanent. But that would mean Mew can breed. Idk. Nvm dont listen to me.

Izayoi

Banned
Amory Blaine said:
Pokemon baffles me. I mean, when I was a kid and I bought a game boy color and pokemon red, I played through the game start to finish and I couldn't wait to turn it on and play more. Teachers even took away our game boys when they found us trying to play during class.

Fifteen(?) years later, I just can't do it anymore. I still get the appeal of the game, but I just can't justify grinding 90% of the time and playing through a storyline that refuses to change in any significant way between iterations. I mean in actuality, the story seems to have gotten worse since the first games, since basically everything seems the same, with the only exception being that everyone is nice to the player now, and no one seems remotely interested in defeating you in battles. Having a "rival" instead of "friends" at least was motivating.

I don't regret buying pokemon white, but I know for a fact that it's not for me anymore. And that's alright, but it sort of sucks too. :/
You haven't played for very long if you think the story is worse.

They've also eliminated a lot of the grind with Generation, the level scaling is far better than it has ever been before.

So play a little more, give it a chance.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
JackEtc said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUU

I finally beat the elite four and then
I beat N
, But I can't beat
Ghetsis
. I gotta grind more.

Revive spam. My highest-leveled Pokeyman was 48 when I beat him.

iirate

Alright, I want a capturing duo capable of dealing with anything, and I think I figured out who will serve my purposes:

Venonat @Heat Rock
Trait: Compound Eyes
- Baton Pass
- Foresight
- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day

Absol
- Baton Pass
- False Swipe
- Mean Look
- Taunt

I'm pretty sure Absol is a lock. Right now, Venonat allows Absol to deal with Ghosts, dishes out Spore-accuracy sleep (thanks Compound Eyes!) kills weather that might damage the other Poke. The only thing that might get in the way is self-inflicted damage from the opponent's poke, but the only answer I see to that is sleep.

Is there anything I'm missing that might aid in capturing?

Zzoram said:
What happens if I trade for the other version's pokemon with Charge move and give it to the guy in town 8?
You get a Cell Battery hold item that raises attack when you're hit by an electric attack. I have Black, so if you have White we could trade Blitzles!

Poyunch

Izayoi said:
You haven't played for very long if you think the story is worse.

They've also eliminated a lot of the grind with Generation, the level scaling is far better than it has ever been before.

So play a little more, give it a chance.
Well compared to Team Rocket, Team Plasma doesn't really seem too threatening. They may have grander scheme but it's not as menacing for obvious reasons. I think it's understandable to feel that the conflict isn't as big of a deal in Black/White than it is in previous generations.

Delio

So is Relaxed good for a Vaporeon? I notice Bold is recommended but eh this one Wurei gave me is relaxed with Wish already in tow so.

789shadow

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Well compared to Team Rocket, Team Plasma doesn't really seem too threatening. They may have grander scheme but it's not as menacing for obvious reasons. I think it's understandable to feel that the conflict isn't as big of a deal in Black/White than it is in previous generations.
This is because they don't have a ludicrous plot to reshape the world/universe.

iirate

How strange is it that simple world domination is small-scale bad guy stuff in this series?

On another note, I was just thinking about how cool it would be if we got Gen I and II on the 3DS shop along with some method to transfer to Gen V, finally linking all gens together in some capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom