• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone know when Landorus is set? When you battle, or sometime before, etc. Basically I'm asking if SR would work.

Watch Da Birdie said:
Anyway, this was a pretty neat idea I heard the other day...having a box filled with all the Unown, and showing them over the GTS Negotiations to talk with the other player.

What would that accomplish?

Murkas said:
Is the GTS still filled with unreasonable requests? Lvl 5 Vulpix for Lvl 100 Legendary, I hated that.

Just offer your own stuff and ask for something, you'll probably get it.

I have been sort of avoiding this thread since I am still not done the game yet (7 badges and just getting to my mythic pokemon in the Dragon Tower now (forgive my lack of technical terms, I have a terrible memory for all the new Pokemon names))

I pretty much invested my life into Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and then shortly after I lost interest in the series... I bought Soul Silver and one of the other ones, but never made it past the first couple gyms.

For some reason White brought me back to loving the series, and I pretty much haven't been able to put it down since. I methodically search each area, and catch every pokemon I see (no duplicates though). I am truly enjoying the game.

The issue I am having now is since it has been IV generations of Pokemon since I followed the game closely, I am lost on some of the new concepts... Dragon Type Pokemon? Breeding to get good stats? Holding items? Calcium/Other Vitamins for Pokemon? All of these are I am sure great additions to the game, but it is honestly overwhelming trying to get a good grasp on them all. I am obviously using bulbapedia as much as I can, but holy smokes that site and the content is contains are MASSIVE (huge props to the team that run that site).

Anyways I realize my post has nothing notably useful in it, I am just simply expressing my satisfation with Pokemon White :)

Can't wait to catch my Dragon Type Pokemon.

PS - How many Pokemon are there in White? Like I said before I am trying to catch everything I see, but I am obviously nowhere close to having all of the Pokemon that are in the game... Just wondering how close I am.

PPS - I got an Egg from some guy after surfing to an island (?) below Pallet town (I am sure that's not what it is called anymore). Is there a Togepi in the egg? Should I be doing anything special to raise it well? I tried searching Bulbapedia for 'egg' and turned up several results, and none of them seemed to be the egg I have.

Woffls

Current Team:
seismitoad.png
victini.png
zekrom.png
volcarona.png
landorus.png
kyurem.png

Seismitoad: 65 - Hydro Pump, Hyper Voice, Surf, Drain Punch
Victini: 67 - Zen Headbutt, Flame Burst, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt
Zekrom: 66 - Dragon Claw, Fly, Zen Headbut, Fusion Bolt
Landorus: 70 - Rock Slide, Earthquake, Sandstorm, Fissure
Volcarona: 70 - Silver Wind, Quiver Dance, Heat Wave, Bug Buzz
Kyurem: 75 - Glaciate, Dragon Pulse, Imprison, Endeavor
+ Bisharp 63 - Thunder Wave, False Swipe, Iron Defense, Iron Head. This is my catching Pkmn.

I'm going to start fighting the Elite 4 again, so I'll actually look at sorting out the move sets properly. I'll look at making a proper team after I import my FireRed, Emerald, Pearl and Soul Silver Pokémon ;D

[edit] Also, can someone trade me a Snivey or Oshawatt for a Tepig? I have 3 at level 1 and just want all the starters! Brave, Modest and Quiet natures, if that makes any difference :\

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Finally, got a trade for one of my Pansear...a Japanese Poochyena!

It's got some interesting moves on it for a Level 1...Me First, Snatch, and Fire Fang. :0
Likewise, the Pansear they got had Nasty Plot, Grass Knot, and Flamethrower, so it's a fair trade imo.

Next trade was a Darumaka for a Pansear with a UK fella...so...fire ape for fire ape.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Devin Olsen said:
I have been sort of avoiding this thread since I am still not done the game yet (7 badges and just getting to my mythic pokemon in the Dragon Tower now (forgive my lack of technical terms, I have a terrible memory for all the new Pokemon names))

I pretty much invested my life into Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and then shortly after I lost interest in the series... I bought Soul Silver and one of the other ones, but never made it past the first couple gyms.

For some reason White brought me back to loving the series, and I pretty much haven't been able to put it down since. I methodically search each area, and catch every pokemon I see (no duplicates though). I am truly enjoying the game.

The issue I am having now is since it has been IV generations of Pokemon since I followed the game closely, I am lost on some of the new concepts... Dragon Type Pokemon? Breeding to get good stats? Holding items? Calcium/Other Vitamins for Pokemon? All of these are I am sure great additions to the game, but it is honestly overwhelming trying to get a good grasp on them all. I am obviously using bulbapedia as much as I can, but holy smokes that site and the content is contains are MASSIVE (huge props to the team that run that site).

Anyways I realize my post has nothing notably useful in it, I am just simply expressing my satisfation with Pokemon White :)

Can't wait to catch my Dragon Type Pokemon.

Congrats! However, Dragon types have been when the series since it started. Dragonite is a dual dragon/flying, for example.

Here are the things you shouldn't worry about yet:

- Natures
- Hold Items (for the most part, although Amulet Coin, Exp Share, and Lucky Egg can help you greatly in the story mode)
- Effort Values and Individual Values
- Stats (for the most part, don't pay attention to the numbers, but how a Pokemon "feels" for your team)
- Breeding

PS - How many Pokemon are there in White? Like I said before I am trying to catch everything I see, but I am obviously nowhere close to having all of the Pokemon that are in the game... Just wondering how close I am.

I really don't know. There 156 new Unova Pokemon, but taking out version exclusives, event legendaries, and one-offs, it's probably around 130-140 without trading, but counting evolutions.

Counting the post-game, and it's a couple hundred more than that since you can catch a boatload of Pokemon from the older games. Especially in White, which has White Forest.

PPS - I got an Egg from some guy after surfing to an island (?) below Pallet town (I am sure that's not what it is called anymore). Is there a Togepi in the egg? Should I be doing anything special to raise it well? I tried searching Bulbapedia for 'egg' and turned up several results, and none of them seemed to be the egg I have.

It's one of the new Pokemon. Just keep traveling, it grows closer to hatching depending on how many steps you take.

Boogiepop

:) Woke up to a Level 92 Reshiram with a Lucky Egg this morning, having put up a lv 1 female Oshawott yesterday on GTS :)
Now I'm waiting to see if another of my baby Oshawotts can net me a second Thundurus, so I'll have trade fodder once I finally see a Tornadus...

Watch Da Birdie

Mank said:
:) Woke up to a Level 92 Reshiram with a Lucky Egg this morning, having put up a lv 1 female Oshawott yesterday on GTS :)
Now I'm waiting to see if another of my baby Oshawotts can net me a second Thundurus, so I'll have trade fodder once I finally see a Tornadus...

I'd be careful if I was you...it might be a hack. Did you check to see where they obtained it?

Watch Da Birdie

Japanese dudes rock.

The next GTS Negotiation I did with a Japanese dude gave me a Squirtle for a basic Pansear. :D

Wiseblade

Watch Da Birdie said:
I'd be careful if I was you...it might be a hack. Did you check to see where they obtained it?
GF made hack filtering on GTS more stringent from what I heard. Basically anything on GTS is legit or indistinguishable from a legit one.

Boogiepop

Watch Da Birdie said:
It looks legit, everything matches up fine. Are people able to hack B/W pokes and get them up on the GTS currently, BTW?

Andrex said:
Congrats! However, Dragon types have been when the series since it started. Dragonite is a dual dragon/flying, for example.
Ah shit.. You're right. I don't know why I never even thought of that. Was there Dragon Type moves as well? It has been so long since I played Red/Blue that I forget the specifics, but I just thought I remembered there really only being five or six Pokemon types... Is Ice Type new at least? That was another that I didn't remember from the old generations.

Andrex said:
I really don't know. There 156 new Unova Pokemon, but taking out version exclusives, event legendaries, and one-offs, it's probably around 130-140 without trading, but counting evolutions.
Ah alright, I thought there would be way more then that to be honest... When I look at my Pokedex it says 91, but I assume that is the number of Pokemon I have SEEN. Is there a quick way to see how many unique types I have caught/evolved?

Andrex said:
Counting the post-game, and it's a couple hundred more than that since you can catch a boatload of Pokemon from the older games. Especially in White, which has White Forest.
Yeah I haven't read up much on White Forest, I just know that from the quick blurb I read about it vs Black's equivalent was the reason I chose White. Fighting fully evolved rare Pokemon isn't as exciting a catching unevolved rare pokemon in my opinion.

Andrex said:
It's one of the new Pokemon. Just keep traveling, it grows closer to hatching depending on how many steps you take.
Ah right on.

Thanks for the info!

Edit: Also is there any good way to find a Shiny? I keep hearing that it is a 1/8000 chance of finding one in the wild... Do those odds get any better depending what grass patches you're in? Or do I have the same odds finding one in the first grass field I see vs end game stuff.

Sorry for all the questions.

Watch Da Birdie

Dunno.

It just bothers me that someone would give up a Legendary over the GTS. I guess that's why I don't bother searching for Legendaries. Maybe they're just nice, or maybe they got it from someone else, thinking it was hacked, and wanted to dump it on someone else for a nice new Oshawott. :p

Boogiepop

Decided to switch out the male Oshawott for a female Zorua. Figured that might be a little more likely to get a hit. Not really sure what's the best lure for legendaries yet, though. Also, I really wish you could offer more than one thing at once...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Devin Olsen said:
Ah shit.. You're right. I don't know why I never even thought of that. Was there Dragon Type moves as well? It has been so long since I played Red/Blue that I forget the specifics, but I just thought I remembered there really only being five or six Pokemon types... Is Ice Type new at least? That was another that I didn't remember from the old generations.

I was the same as you when I came back to the series with Pokemon Pearl. I only remembered there being like six types, and I guess I always assumed rock/ground were the same type, stuff like that. Probably what happened was that I confused the trading card game with the video games, and didn't really pay attention much for the games.

That said, all the types in Black/White were there since Red/Blue, except for Steel and Dark which were added in Gold/Silver. I'm sure all the types had at least one move in Red/Blue, too.

Devin Olsen said:
Ah alright, I thought there would be way more then that to be honest... When I look at my Pokedex it says 91, but I assume that is the number of Pokemon I have SEEN. Is there a quick way to see how many unique types I have caught/evolved?

When you open up the menu and hit the Pokedex, at the top it should say "SEEN 100 OBTAINED 50" or something like that.

Devin Olsen said:
Ah right on.

Thanks for the info!

No prob.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I was the same as you when I came back to the series with Pokemon Pearl. I only remembered there being like six types, and I guess I always assumed rock/ground were the same type, stuff like that. Probably what happened was that I confused the trading card game with the video games, and didn't really pay attention much for the games.

That said, all the types in Black/White were there since Red/Blue, except for Steel and Dark which were added in Gold/Silver. I'm sure all the types had at least one move in Red/Blue, too.

When you open up the menu and hit the Pokedex, at the top it should say "SEEN 100 OBTAINED 50" or something like that.

No prob.
Actually Dragon and ghost only had Dragon Rage (always does 40 damage) and Night Shade (does damage equal to your level) in Gen I, so there was no way to do Dragon damage or Ghost damage.

Morokh

Mank said:
It looks legit, everything matches up fine. Are people able to hack B/W pokes and get them up on the GTS currently, BTW?

Pokesav, and programs to trick GTS for BW exist , I used one to clone my Soulsilver EV-trained pokemons to get them in my White version.

so short version -> Yes

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
Actually Dragon and ghost only had Dragon Rage (always does 40 damage) and Night Shade (does damage equal to your level) in Gen I, so there was no way to do Dragon damage or Ghost damage.

Actually, Lick was a Ghost move. Albeit, incredibly weak. Ghost types also did nothing to Psychic types, which most think was an error in the code because in numerous official guides, Ghost was said to be Super Effective against Psychics.

It didn't help the only Ghost, Gengar, was also weak to Psychic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:

Well I never said those moves did damage. :p

upandaway

I really wish they put the menu on the Start button, and then used both X and Y for shortcuts (along with the option to make a shortcut for every single menu item including save). I just hate pressing X by mistake when I wanted Y (or when I really wanted to press X), because it fucking FUCKING FUCKING cancels the dousing machine. But if you enter the bag from a shortcut, it doesn't cancel it.

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
Actually, Lick was a Ghost move. Albeit, incredibly weak. Ghost types also did nothing to Psychic types, which most think was an error in the code because in numerous official guides, Ghost was said to be Super Effective against Psychics.

It didn't help the only Ghost, Gengar, was also weak to Psychic.
Funny, I could have sworn Lick was normal type in Gen I... Well, at least I was right about Dragon. ¬.¬

Wiseblade said:

What about Lick?

edit: Beaten by a mile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mank said:
Does the whole "Flame Body" thing depend on party positioning, or does it effect all eggs in your party?

Position doesn't matter, and it does affect all the eggs.

Zzoram

MidnightScott said:
Anyone have a spare Thunderstone, I wanna evolve my Eelektross. This wouldn't be a problem if they allowed item transfers >.<

Someone with Black is in the best position to help since Black City lets you buy evolve stones.

Boogiepop

GTS negotiations are... confusing. First person just kinda broke, second dude I just gave an Oshawott for a slowpoke cuz that's all he was offering and I didn't really care, third dude showed off shiny legendaries and just showed disapproval at my shiny Camerupt and its ilk, and fourth dude just sat there sad facing at my Oshawott's without showing anything of his own to give an idea of what he wanted. Doesn't seem like a terribly useful feature to me, unless you're the guy looking for random starters I guess.

Ah so here is a good question, I have four Pokemon at the moment that I am focusing on training, my other Pokemon is a HM slave (Fly and Surf (Pretty amazed that my Swanna can do both)) and the sixth is the egg I mentioned earlier.

This is my party:
PT4Qs.jpg

Now I am about to catch Zekrom (I think? I am at the Dragon tower right now, so I assume that is what I am about to find).

I am trying to find the best balance between strengths/types and I am sure I am way off, but I am just having a hard time deciding which Pokemon to switch out... The Audino is kind of weak from what I can see, and the Musharna is hit and miss... Druddigon is literally brand new to my party, I caught him just before I got into the tower and was pretty excited with how different he looked so I switched him out for one of the other Pokemon that I really did not like.

Any suggestions for what type I should be looking for?

would someone mind explaining GTS negotiations to me?

i went in and got very confused very fast. i feel dumb.

do i put Pokemon i want, or Pokemon i am willing to trade. i just don't get it.

ryan-ts

Good times, Hyper Beam was my greatest fear in any battle...the opponent had to rest after using it but if the attack hit, your Pokemon was already done. Psychic? Thats why there were teams of 5 Alakazam's and a Mewtwo.

Manus

Lol I remember abusing Pokemon Stadium as a kid with a Calming Minding Mewtwo and just Pyschic everything down. It wasn't even fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom