• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

finalozzo said:
i have a shiny boldore. :p
and btw, the fourth gen sucks, especially the starters. (II gen > all, and venusaur is fucking cool)
You're mad. Gen II sucks. Venusaur is even worse. No matter how much GF try to pretty it up, all I'll ever see is this:
Spr_b_g1_003.png

Disgusting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Platinum is a pretty fun game though, and I like Gen IV, but looking back I think it had the worst selection of Pokemon...DP, moreso, as Platinum at-least let you get the new evolutions in-game, plus a few other oldies like Houndour and Skarmory. But seriously, DP gave you a Dex of 150, with half of them being oldies basically...very disappointing.

But uh...yeah, Thundurus freaks me out when you encounter it...I was just on Route 3 breeding and, BAM, lighting strikes. So creepy.

Watch Da Birdie

I have a whole box of Pansear now...not one of them is a female.

Can't wait till I have to start breeding them for the right nature...at least I don't have to worry about them getting the wrong ability.

FootNinja said:
Guys...Give Venusaur a break. Life as a plant dinosaur has enough challenges without you guys shitting on his self esteem.

Well, he can rest easy with the fact that, at the very least, he'll never be as bad as Meganium.

dohohoho~

Murkas

The only good thing about gen 2 starters was Totodile, the other two sucked. Torterra is a beast, Infernape is Blazikan done right and Empoleon is king, sorry bro :(

Does it have to be shiny dogs or Celebi for the event because I missed those.

Wiseblade

Murkas said:
The only good thing about gen 2 starters was Totodile, the other two sucked. Torterra is a beast, Infernape is Blaziken done right and Empoleon is king, sorry bro :(

Does it have to be shiny dogs or Celebi for the event because I missed those.

You shut your mouth!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is Reuniclus the best Psychic type in the game?

Mush said:
Starmie
252SPA/252SPE/4SPD/Timid/Expert Belt

Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Garchomp
252ATK/252SPE/4HP/Jolly/Choice Scarf

Stone Edge
Dragon Claw
Outrage
Earthquake

"insert filler here"

Battle Subway team, yay or nay?

That and a Heracross were basically my Battle Frontier-trashing team from SoulSilver.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Andrex said:
Is Reuniclus the best Psychic type in the game?

That and a Heracross were basically my Battle Frontier-trashing team from SoulSilver.

Victini and the unobtainable Meloetta are the only Psychics this generation that would give the mighty Reuniclus a run for his money.. but he's a beast.

As for my Battle Tower team from previous generations, I used (Trick / Flash / Thunder-Wave / Memento) Uxie, with Registeel being the primary sweeper (Iron Head / Curse / Substitute / Rest) and Garchomp (Substitute / Swords Dance / Earthquake / Outrage with Lum Berry).

Basically, Uxie will only be targeted by attacks Registeel / Garchomp can take. And even then, it can rarely be OHKOed by anything. So, you Trick the Choice Scarf from Uxie onto a Pokemon, making it stuck in its move. Being, Psychic, it's not going to be a Fighting or Ground move so about 90% of the time Registeel will be the switch in when I have them down to -6 accuracy, paralyzed and then Memento'ed. I would not always use Memento, because sometimes it was critical to keep Uxie alive to setup Garchomp later.

Anyways, with the Pokemon stuck in a single move with -6 Accuracy, -2 Attack and -2 Special Attack, Registeel sets up Curse with his Substitute and Rest before sweeping. He rarely could be 2HKOed, even factoring in a critical. Garchomp was the back up sweeper, meant to take Fire attacks, or Status, thanks to his Lum. There's only something like 2 Pokemon in Battle Tower that are not 2HKOed by a +6 Outrage, with most being an easy OHKO.

I wanted to swap Drapion with Accupressure for Registeel eventually. Battle Armor means Criticals are a thing of the past, and he enjoys being paired with Uxie as well. Speaking of Uxie, if I had a better Latias, I would have used her, thanks not attracting the odd Fire attack once in a while.

All in all, the team was pretty good for me though.

Watch Da Birdie

After 37(!) Pansear's, I finally got a female.

Now to raise my Chimchar to learn Nasty Plot, and then it's time to breed more Pansear's to get a Naive or Rash Natured one. :(

Wiseblade

Watch Da Birdie said:
After 37(!) Pansear's, I finally got a female.

Now to raise my Chimchar to learn Nasty Plot, and then it's time to breed more Pansear's to get a Naive or Rash Natured one. :(

Ouch. I think i bred a similar number of Drilburs last night before I finally got two with Adamant nature, Sand Rush and 31 Atk/Speed IVs.

It was an emotional experience.

OMG Aero

storafötter said:
what do you guys think of my Ferrothorn?
Hold Item: Leftovers
Ability: Steel Thorns
EV: 252 hp, 128 defense, 130 special defense
Sassy Nature (+ special defense, – speed)
Gyro ball
Curse
Power whip/Explosion
Leech seed

His unique typing and insane defense gives him a lot of advantages when playing defensive. However he does have decent attack stat which is why I have an offensive move-set with him. Using Curse to further boost Attack/Def (lower Speed) and Gyro Ball (as he already has very low speed!). It is also handy to have Leech Seed in order to heal at the same time.

I am aware that Stealth Rock/Spikes can be a very important move for him, but I want to have a move that can heal. So Leech Seed with leftovers will be useful for him.
Since you are giving it Leech Seed, you could swap Leftovers for a Rocky Helmet to really punish physical attackers.

iirate

I feel like Infernape gets a free pass because he's next to the (awesome) Torterra, and people really like Empoleon for some reason (Steel penguins are impossibly cool. I'm still not sure how GF messed this one up). Here's the TRUE starter tier lists:

Water - Blastoise > Swampert > Samurott >>> Empoleon > Feraligatr
Grass - Torterra > Serperior > Venusaur > Sceptile >>> Meganium
Fire - Charizard > Blaziken >>> Emboar > Infernape > Typhlosion

Despite being a loyal water-starter, I must admit that grass stands out for overall quality. Only real weak piece for them is Meganium, and well, Gen II was easily the worst tier for starters.

Watch Da Birdie

Thank God for the new EXP System.

One Hariyama, and my Chimchar's at Level 23. :D
So, it's got the Nasty Plot I needed for my Simisear set.

iirate said:
I feel like Infernape gets a free pass because he's next to the (awesome) Torterra, and people really like Empoleon for some reason (Steel penguins are impossibly cool. I'm still not sure how GF messed this one up). Here's the TRUE starter tier lists:

Despite being a loyal water-starter, I must admit that grass stands out for overall quality. Only real weak piece for them is Meganium, and well, Gen II was easily the worst tier for starters.
You were so close. But Swampert >>>> every starter, just in sheer combat beastliness.

I'm still super-pissed that we got another Fire/Fighting. Dewott and Samurott should have been Water/Fighting and learned Sacred Sword via tutor. =(

Watch Da Birdie

Hmm...for me I think it would go...

Grass: Meganium < Serperior < Venusaur < Sceptile < Torterra
Fire: Typhlosion = Charizard < Infernape < Blaziken < Emboar
Water: Blastoise = Feraligatr < Empoleon < Samurott < Swampert

Although, Grotle and Pignite are my favorite starter forms ever.

Wiseblade

iirate said:

Ugh, your list is all kinds of wrong.

Grass - Serperior > Torterra >>> Sceptile > Meganium > Venusaur
Fire - Blaziken > Charizard > Infernape >>> Typhlosion >>> Emboar
Water - Empoleon >>> Blastoise > Swampert > Feraligatr >>> Samurott

Samurott was totally a missed opportunity. He should have been a bipedal Water/Fighting and learned the new sword moves.

Roto13

Can we drop the subject of starters now? It's been going since yesterday evening and it's mostly just Wiseblade being all UN-Wise(blade) and acting like Venusaur is anything less than the greatest starter in the history of Pokemons.

Achtius

Etrian Oddity said:
I'm still super-pissed that we got another Fire/Fighting. Dewott and Samurott should have been Water/Fighting and learned Sacred Sword via tutor. =(

Until they take out stealth rock or make it so fire isn't weak to rock, i think we are going to get more fire/fighting starter ;(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mine:

Empoleon > Blastoise > Samurott > Feraligatr > Swampert

Charizard >= Infernape > Typhlosion >= Emboar > Hippy McChicken Legs

Torterra > Serperior > Venusaur > Meganium > Sceptile

iirate

Etrian Oddity said:
You were so close. But Swampert >>>> every starter, just in sheer combat beastliness.

To be fair (and I didn't state this at all in the original post), I was rating them based on aesthetics alone.

Also, you're completely right. They should have stopped at ONE Fire/Fighting, instead of handing us three IN A ROW. Samurott was such a natural candidate for Water/Fighting too.

I'd still like to see them create a starter trio that, when fully evolved, follows the Dark/Fighting/Ghost paper-rock-scissors paradigm, as a counterpoint to their Grass/Water/Fire typings. For example:

Grass/Fighting - Fire/Dark - Water/Ghost

It would be interesting to see a series of starters that absolutely wreck each other. I'd especially be interested in seeing how GF would lay out the stats for each.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dc89 said:
togepi.png

A challenger appears!

Even though I love the Toge* line (Togetic is still probably my favorite Pokemon design ever <3), I always thought Togepi's beady eyes were kind of un-cute.

OMG Aero

Watch Da Birdie said:
Thank God for the new EXP System.

One Hariyama, and my Chimchar's at Level 23. :D
So, it's got the Nasty Plot I needed for my Simisear set.
Any chance you could breed me a Chimchar? Preferably one with Nasty Plot too?
I'm thinking about giving Elgyem a try to see how it is, and Bulbapedia says it can get Nasty Plot through Chimchar, Drowzee or Croagunk.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I can make a list too!

Empoleon > Blastoise > Samurott > > Swampert > Feraligatr

Charizard > Blaziken > Emboar > Typhlosion > Infernape

Torterra > Meganium > Venusaur > Serperior > Sceptile

Watch Da Birdie

Time for GTS Negotions!

Need to get rid of these 40+ Pansear first before I begin to breed more.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
I can make a list too!

Empoleon > Blastoise > Samurott > > Swampert > Feraligatr

Charizard > Blaziken > Emboar > Typhlosion > Infernape

Torterra > Meganium > Venusaur > Serperior > Sceptile

Our top ones are the same, and our water ones are mostly the same. <3

Watch Da Birdie

Bah, no one on GTS Negotions want my Pansear. :(

Even the ones with Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, and Grass Knot bred on them.

Watch Da Birdie

Anyway, this was a pretty neat idea I heard the other day...having a box filled with all the Unown, and showing them over the GTS Negotiations to talk with the other player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom