• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

Soi tested this random Alomomola i caught and it's packing 30 in Speed and Defense. Will be using for breeding a better one.

beje

Banned
And finally got a decent Yamask:

HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
19 11 30 26 29 8

Sassy nature (-Spe +SpD). Shit's going to rock

Bred a Sassy Larvitar with kind of shit EV's.

HP 14, 15
Att 8, 9
Def 22, 23
SpA 29
SpD 10, 11
Speed 22, 23

Speed is ok, and SpA is very nice considering I'd be using it for Bolt/Beam/Flamethrower. He'll be an ok mating partner. Now I just need a female parent with some decent attack/spATK/SpD evs.

Also the Power items. I know if a parent holds one the corresponding stat IV will be transferred to the child. Does this work with both parents allowing you to pass the best stat of each parent to the child? If so that would be amazing.

KarmaCow

So I haven't really played a pokemon game since Yellow and was thinking to pick this up. I saw that White and Black have some differences beyond pokemon and I'm wondering if those actually matter. White seems better for catching pokemon but what about those rare items? I doubt I'll get into the competitive battle scene and IV/EV training so is White better if just plan to try to get every pokemon I can?

Izayoi

Banned
Of course I missed the conversation like usual, but my current playtime/Pokedex completion for both games:

White

Time: 168 hours
Dex: 646

Black

Time: 67 hours
Dex: 153

Gravijah

I think I'm currently at about 82 hours. I don't play with the c-gear on, so that's pure playing time. Haven't been playing much in a few days, though.

Wiseblade

Obsessed said:
Bred a Sassy Larvitar with kind of shit EV's.

HP 14, 15
Att 8, 9
Def 22, 23
SpA 29
SpD 10, 11
Speed 22, 23

Speed is ok, and SpA is very nice considering I'd be using it for Bolt/Beam/Flamethrower. He'll be an ok mating partner. Now I just need a female parent with some decent attack/spATK/SpD evs.

Also the Power items. I know if a parent holds one the corresponding stat IV will be transferred to the child. Does this work with both parents allowing you to pass the best stat of each parent to the child? If so that would be amazing.
It does.

EDIT: Izayoi's here EVERBODY STOP POSTING

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
I think I'm currently at about 82 hours. I don't play with the c-gear on, so that's pure playing time. Haven't been playing much in a few days, though.
Yeah some of that is C-Gear time.

Dunno why they decided to do that.

Wiseblade said:
It does.

EDIT: Izayoi's here EVERBODY STOP POSTING
Aww man. :(

Red

Just under 60 hours for me, a bit of standby time here and there but mostly it's pretty accurate.

367 Pokemon seen, 243 caught.

Scratch that, just double checked. 393 seen. 306 obtained. Was going from memory, and I'm pretty sure I put down my numbers from Pearl.

Izayoi

Banned
Super_Chicken said:
How does the C-gear work anyway? I typically play with it off since I assume better battery life without it on.
You do get better battery life with it off.

Basically it's a lot like the StreetPass on the 3DS. It talks to nearby DS's who also are running Pokemon BW and have C-Gear enabled. It exchanges info and completes surveys and some other cool stuff.

It's also used for trades and battles locally, helps cut down the time needed significantly.

Gravijah said:
I'm sort of in limbo right now. I'm not sure if I want to start White or replay Emerald or FRLG.
Replay Emerald and then start White when the 3DS comes out.

Izayoi said:
You do get better battery life with it off.

Basically it's a lot like the StreetPass on the 3DS. It talks to nearby DS's who also are running Pokemon BW and have C-Gear enabled. It exchanges info and completes surveys and some other cool stuff.

It's also used for trades and battles locally, helps cut down the time needed significantly.

Replay Emerald and then start White when the 3DS comes out.

So it's mostly for local trading with friends and stuff? That's kinda what I thought.

My little brother traded some ant-eater thing for a Rotom, a Sawsbuck for the white version legendary, a Patrat for Golem, and a female Snivy for a Raikou. All from the same person

What the...

Why can't I be matched up with people like that on the GTS Negotiate thing...

He also hatched 3 Snivy eggs, all three were female. And his original Snivy starter was female.

Little kids are better at Pokemon :(

Izayoi

Banned
Raxus said:
Can someone help explain IVs and EVs to me so I know what to look for when I am breeding.
EVs have nothing to do with breeding.

IVs, or Individual Values, are a lot like Pokemon genes. They play an instrumental part in the stat development of your Pokemon.

The system is very complicated, if you want formulas and stuff check this page out.

I need to restart Sapphire and LeafGreen, I want those starters! There isn't a certain point you need to have reached in the DS games to be able to use PokeTransfer is there? And same question for using Pal Park in Gen IV.

Izayoi

Banned
Super_Chicken said:
So it's mostly for local trading with friends and stuff? That's kinda what I thought.
Yeah, pretty much. It works better in Japan. However, if you attend college or live in a big city you'll have better luck than most. I get tons of hits at my college.

btkadams said:
i don't understand. why would some of that be c-gear time if he said he doesn't have the c-gear on?
He was replying to me and I was referencing my original post.

balladofwindfishes said:
My little brother traded some ant-eater thing for a Rotom, a Sawsbuck for the white version legendary, a Patrat for Golem, and a female Snivy for a Raikou. All from the same person

What the...

Why can't I be matched up with people like that on the GTS Negotiate thing...

He also hatched 3 Snivy eggs, all three were female. And his original Snivy starter was female.

Little kids are better at Pokemon :(
Haha, he's just very lucky is all.

Green Scar said:
I need to restart Sapphire and LeafGreen, I want those starters! There isn't a certain point you need to have reached in the DS games to be able to use PokeTransfer is there? And same question for using Pal Park in Gen IV.
In Black and White you need to have beaten the Elite Four before you can use the Poketransfer.

In DPPt and HGSS you need to obtain the National Dex before you're allowed entry.

Green Scar said:

I've got all the starters, I'm just doing an E4 run to level up some newly hatched pokemon. Do you have any black exclusive pokemons? Or even legendarys to trade back so I can have them showed them caught but so I can request em on GTS.

Super_Chicken said:
I've got all the starters, I'm just doing an E4 run to level up some newly hatched pokemon. Do you have any black exclusive pokemons? Or even legendarys to trade back so I can have them showed them caught but so I can request em on GTS.

I've got all 3 Hooved Legendaries, Tornadus, Reshiram, Dialga, Giratina and Lati@s. Any of those take your fancy? My FC is in the Google Doc.

Green Scar said:
I've got all 3 Hooved Legendaries, Tornadus, Reshiram, Dialga, Giratina and Lati@s. Any of those take your fancy? My FC is in the Google Doc.

I've got a dialga, giratina and latios. Who are the 3 hooved legendaties?
And which specific starters do you need? I'll start hatching the eggs for you.

Gravijah said:
Is there a single Pokemon species that has no one asking for a legendary for it?

Nope! hahaha. I wish when searching it would give you more than 7 results, of which 6 are legendary requests.

Gravijah

Super_Chicken said:

Nope! hahaha. I wish when searching it would give you more than 7 results, of which 6 are legendary requests.

I wish you could actually scroll through all of the results.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Is there a single Pokemon species that has no one asking for a legendary for it?
Enough patience will turn up mistake postings and people asking for level 100 common Pokemon and stuff.

Super_Chicken said:

PM sent.

I just noticed that the most recent person to register their FC on the Google Doc is Firestorm. A bit surprising, I would have thought he'd have been one of the first :lol. B/W PokeGAF is approaching 150 people!

Achtius

Holy crap, those BP items are impossible to get T_T

Anyone know how to get heart scale? Need a few but not sure where to get them.

Gravijah

Achtius said:

My Black City is actually selling Heart Scales. Scooooore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Achtius said:

In Driftveil, if you show a Pokemon that has a certain move to the girl in the left-most house, she'll give you a Heart Scale. You can do this every day.

Izayoi

Banned
Achtius said:

Have you not been using the Dowsing Machine? There are TONS of them hidden away, especially on water routes.

I've got at least ten from that alone.

Suairyu

Banned
So what's a good nature for Thundurus? I'm thinking Rash, to raise his already high Sp. Attack and decrease his poor Defense? His speed already seems quite good. Or perhaps Modest to reduce his quite high attack, as he seems better suited for special attacks?

I get the feeling I'm not actually going to be able to get a proper feel for what natures are useful for which base stats until I try a few competitive games.

Achtius

Andrex said:
In Driftveil, if you show a Pokemon that has a certain move to the girl in the left-most house, she'll give you a Heart Scale. You can do this every day.

Thanks!

Izayoi said:
Have you not been using the Dowsing Machine? There are TONS of them hidden away, especially on water routes.

I've got at least ten from that alone.

Wait what? *SURFS*

If I give a Pokemon a Macho Brace it will double the EV's I get right?

Also reading the description on Bulbapedia, the Power items give your Pokemon 4 EVs after every battle, even if the Pokemon doesn't participate? That seems really really good. Is that even true?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Suairyu said:
So what's a good nature for Thundurus? I'm thinking Rash, to raise his already high Sp. Attack and decrease his poor Defense? His speed already seems quite good. Or perhaps Modest to reduce his quite high attack, as he seems better suited for special attacks?

I get the feeling I'm not actually going to be able to get a proper feel for what natures are useful for which base stats until I try a few competitive games.

How to choose natures (by Andrex):
  1. Attack or Special Attack. Choose one.
  2. Eliminate the natures that don't debuff whichever one you didn't choose.
  3. Then choose from that selection based on which stat you want to buff the most; usually this is either the attack stat you chose or Speed.

Andrefpvs

Gravijah said:
ugh need anime renditions of bw muuuuuuuusic

brofist.jpg

Accumula Town! <3

Izayoi

Banned
Andrex said:
How to choose natures (by Andrex):
  1. Attack or Special Attack. Choose one.
  2. Eliminate the natures that don't debuff whichever one you didn't choose.
  3. Then choose from that selection based on which stat you want to buff the most; usually this is either the attack stat you chose or speed.
Basically, there are four natures in the game that you're ever going to care about:

Adamant
Modest
Jolly
Timid

Wiseblade

Beginners guide to Natures (by Wiseblade)

1) Pick one of these natures:

Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)

Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack)

Jolly (+Speed, -Special Attack)

Timid (+Speed -Attack)

Relaxed (+Defense, -Speed)

Sassy (+Special Defense, -Speed)

There is no step 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom