• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
bianca haters gtfo

EhF7t.gif

I was really hoping she would become the Champion.

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
Grey or next gen or RSE remakes or whatever need to put more catchable Pokemon in the game. Go all out with seasons, time of day, etc.

The sad thing is that I completely agree. There's still more species on Earth, Game Freak! Hurry it up!

beje

Banned
Andrex said:
I'd probably put EvilMario and beje over you. :p But you're a good bronze.

I'm not really that good, I just know the theory. In fact, this is the first time ever I'm IV breeding my team from scratch.

Teknoman

Andrefpvs said:
Dude... :(

Also, I think more people should attach mail to their Pokémon when trading them. I'd love to have my Mail Box full of messages from people all over the world. I only have one from Bianca atm :|

I think im going to start doing that for GTS trades.

Zertez said:
I hate her so much. She always shows up at the worse times and the fights normally are not all that bad, but most the time I just fought a decent trainer with low health and she pops up out of no where.
She wouldn't be a proper rival if she didn't do that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah. I don't really keep up with the competitive community anymore, but I browse Smogon once in a while. I was heavily involved in 4th Generation competitive battling, and I might step back into 5th Generation doubles when I feel it's right.

Izayoi

Banned
MidnightScott said:
Izayoi put your Pokémon knowledge on Styroscope :p
I've been wondering what to write there, nothing much to say about the 3DS right now that we don't already know.

What should I say? I can go on and on about any number of topics.

PounchEnvy said:
I don't know what would happen to Cheren if this came true.
Probably throw himself off of Sky Arrow Bridge.

EvilMario said:
Yeah. I don't really keep up with the competitive community anymore, but I browse Smogon once in a while. I was heavily involved in 4th Generation competitive battling, and I might step back into 5th Generation doubles when I feel it's right.
Smogon is a shithole, stay away.

Teknoman

All these perfect bred Pokemon are going to stomp my team into oblivion.

Then again, double battle tournament is something fairly new compared to the last wi-fi tournaments we've had.

Also has Sky Drop glitch been fixed?

Gravijah

beje said:
I'm not really that good, I just know the theory. In fact, this is the first time ever I'm IV breeding my team from scratch.

I suck at battling, but I enjoy the theory behind it. Love reading about it, too.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Beat the game yesterday and... Holy fucking crap, the presentation was ridiculous!

The pokemon league was fuck epic thanks to it's presentation. The
Dark and Ghost
users had particularly impressive looking rooms. I mean Damn.

Anyways, here's who I used to go toe to toe with destiny!

8.png

I've always used the Squirtle family during the main story line since R/B/Y. And nothing will ever change that. I fucks with the Squirtle squad, till the day I die.

571.png

Wasn't really that impressive until my Zorua got Night Burst and Nasty Plot. Then I decided to evolve him before Victory Road. He then proceeded to wreck everything in his path... I can't count how many times I went untouched using this guy. Dude was just murder.

589.png

Strong, reliable and badass looking. One of my absolute favorites ever. A mainstay in the battle subway. No way I win as much as I did without him.
628.png

Good pokemon. Didn't use him much during the end game though, mainly because the others were already beasting... there was just no need for him most of the time. Love his design.
620.png

Another on of my favorite designs this gen. And also one of my favorite pokemon to use. Another mainstay in the battle subway. He absolutely wrecks shit with Drain Punch. Couple that with U-Turn and his Regenerator ability and he becomes invaluable.
637.png

Biggest pain in the ass ever to train. Ever. I am never doing that shit again(I hope). But was it worth it? Oh hell yes it was. One of my absolute favorite designs ever and one of the few pokemon with a back sprite that didn't annoy the shit of me with it's pixels(game freak really fucked up in that department. Some pokemon were just ruined for me because of that). It's also a god damn beast... I mean damn son, one Quiver Dance and it's fucking over. I also got Hidden Power Grass with this dude, which is awesome, considering what he's weak against. Love, love, LOVE this pokemon.

If someone told me prior to this game that I'd be using not one, but two, bug types during my main storyline, I would have laughed at them. Bug pokemon are actually fucking awesome now. Well done GF.

Here are some pro's and con's I had with this game overall.

Pro's:

+ Fantastic presentation. A lot of the in-door environments are just insane. And nothing I expected from GF.

+ Great battle speed. (Although, I do wish turning off battle animations would mean all animations, including the release of the pokeballs. That would make things a bit faster. But it's no big deal)

+ Great pokemon designs. I really like the look of the pokemon this gen. It's definitely taken the second spot on my all time favorite pokemon designs for a generation.

+ Black people in pokemon. Holy shit, Black people do exist! And not only do they exist, they have some pretty high ranking jobs to boot. It's still pretty hilarious that it took them 15 years to finally get it done legitimately. Maybe some day down the line we can choose not only our gender but our race as well. Baby steps...

+ The lack of required HM use. I was really taken aback by this. HM usage in this game was few and far between. They may as well have not even been there. Of course HM's like fly were used with regularity. Now all GF has to do is get rid of it all together.

+ Infinite TM's. This is quite possibly the greatest thing to happen to these games. I mean wow. It drastically changed the makeup of how I've been playing pokemon games for 15 years. Not having to stress over how I use a rare TM is a HUGE lift off my shoulders. Being able to experiment with moves as I see fit made this game so much more entertaining. If GF ever takes this away from us I'm done with these games. I swear to Poke-Christ, I'm fucking done.

+ Battle animations. Best battle animations of any gen. Really liked what they did with these. (There were a lot of reused ones though, and some of the updated versions were bleh some times. But still good overall.)

+ Epic cutscenes. There were a few times in this game where Pokemon channeled their inner Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and I fucking loved it. There NEEDS to be more cutscenes in future iterations.

+ Difficulty. There were a lot of times in this game where I was genuinely challenged, much to my surprise. I haven't been this challenged since Yellow way back when. I hope this is something they'll keep up going forward.

+ Audino. For us grinders this guy is a dream come true. I've created mass genocide on these guys and I regret nothing. N must hate my fucking guts though.

+ Breeding is a lot less of a pain in the ass this go around.

+ Music was really good. I particularly enjoyed the checkpoint melody, Tam Plasma theme and Victini's theme.

Con's:

- Lack of a real rival. The "rivals" in this game are shit. Period. They're just fucking lame. (although, no one will ever out-lame May in R/S/E. Was she even a rival...) I really miss the douchebag types they had in the first two gens. I also didn't mind how they did it in Gen 4. He wasn't a douche, but he always seemed like he genuinely wanted to fuck your shit up, friends or no. These new guys (who you can't even name. That's how you know they're not legit right there...) are just boring and seem absolutely harmless. Cherin seemed like a legit threat at times, but he looks so lame it's hard to take him serious. And don't even get me started on Bianca. This aspect of the game really, really sucked.

- Pixels. Why Game Freak? Why? Who OK'd this shit? This is just terrible most of the time and totally distracting. I'm no expert on pixels and how they work, but something has to be done about this shit. I don't know what can be done, but something must be done. It's a fucking disaster a lot of the time. What really makes me mad about this is how great they look when they first come out of the pokeball, and then the camera goes in for a super close-up and it looks like ass. I really, really hate this shit. ugh

- I'm sick of the fucking Patrat family and Lilipup family. I swear to god it felt like every trainer had at least one or two and I'm sick of looking at their faces.

- Team Plasma was lame. They had really good theme music though. But not even that could save them from their awful design and nonthreatening demeanor. All they were to me was the pussy version of Team Rocket.

- Excluding previous gen pokemon from the main game. I totally get why they did it. But I still don't like it. There are a lot of pokemon I really liked in the previous gens and it sucks that I'm not allowed to go near most of them until I beat the game. I hope this never happens again.

All in all I really enjoyed it. One of the best in the series without a doubt. Nothing will ever topple the first two gens and their respective remakes for me though, because my mind is infected with the nostalgia virus and there is simply no cure.

Soul Silver > Yellow > Black > Platinum > Emerald

Overall, Pokemon Black get's a rock solid 9.0 from me. Absolutely loved it.

And now it's time for dat post game!

Zertez

Is there another legit trading community out there? Ive looked around a little, but seems like a lot are tainted with hacked Pokemon. I hated it with D2 and want to play with only legit Pokemon, if it all possible.

Azure J

This game is so fucking good. How good? For the past 3 days, I've been powering through the main story and actually feel "wowed" with every other new discovery or event that happens. It just feels so different while at the same time being so familiar (weird hyperbole be excused there). I just felt like I had to say something to GAF before I go back into hiding just in time for the Champion Battle (btw, Elite Four is so fucking balin' in this one).

TL;DR This game paused my Marvel hype. I had zero expectations (not because of anything against the series, but because I literally knew nothing about the game more than some music tracks I liked) and before the main story is even finished I can say that this is one of my big picks for DS game of the year. That should account for something. :lol

Edit: Gravijah knows what's up. This entire game I tried to run a team made up of dual types (though Snivy line is the exception here) and once I found out about that one, I was determined to use that as my main fire type when I get to it. Also one note while I'm stream of consciousness typing, as much as I like the game and was able to get through it with a fairly diverse team, I feel like Unova didn't have enough fire types...

Current team: Eelektross - Favorite Pokemon design ever/Swoobat/Zweilous/Serperior - Favorite design of this gen/Carracosta/Darmanitan - I'd love this one if it weren't such a glass cannon

Izayoi

Banned
Zertez said:
Is there another legit trading community out there? Ive looked around a little, but seems like a lot are tainted with hacked Pokemon. I hated it with D2 and want to play with only legit Pokemon, if it all possible.
You're pretty much out of luck. Smogon is almost 100% illegitimate Pokemon and /vp/ is, well... /vp/.

Gravijah said:
Man, I think Volcarona is one of my favorite Pokemon design wise ever. Nevermind that it's also strong as hell.
Agreed. This Generation has been absolutely fantastic both design and usability-wise. I love it.

Yeah, Platinum has a metric buttload of animations for trainers, so seeing only the rivals have them on Black/White is a bit of a buzzkill. Still, the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:
All these perfect bred Pokemon are going to stomp my team into oblivion.

Then again, double battle tournament is something fairly new compared to the last wi-fi tournaments we've had.

Yeah, I mean my team is still gonna be competitive (not all perfect IVs, but at least perfect in one stat probably), but I'm a real fish out of water when it comes to anything but straight up singles, so I'm sure my own chances for winning are probably low. I also have to say that I got defeated by every challenger when I was a gym leader in the GAF league last year. My teams seem to lack any kind of synchronization even if individually the Pokemon themselves are threatening. That, and I'm still learning which moves to use when.

I am excited for the tournament though, as this is the first time I'm breeding competitive Pokemon but not using a derivative of a Smogon moveset. Still using the recommended EV spreads and natures, but the rest is all me. Hopefully that will give my team a better flow and allow it to work together better.

beje

Banned
Andrex said:
Yeah, I mean my team is still gonna be competitive (not all perfect EVs, but at least perfect in one stat probably), but I'm a real fish out of water when it comes to anything but straight up singles, so I'm sure my own chances for winning are probably low. I also have to say that I got defeated by every challenger when I was a gym leader in the GAF league last year. My teams seem to lack any kind of synchronization even if individually they're threatening. That, and I'm still learning which moves to learn when.

I am excited for the tournament though, as this is the first time I'm breeding competitive Pokemon but not using a derivative of a Smogon moveset. Still using the recommended EV spreads and natures, but the rest is all me. Hopefully that will give my team a better flow and allow it to work together better.

It's more or less then same I'm doing. Smogon sets are boring and highly predictable.

Teknoman

Forceatowulf said:
+ Black people in pokemon. Holy shit, Black people do exist! And not only do they exist, they have some pretty high ranking jobs to boot. It's still pretty hilarious that it took them 15 years to finally get it done legitimately. Maybe some day down the line we can choose not only our gender but our race as well. Baby steps...
[/I]

To be fair on the 15 years part, PBR let use pick skin tone (awesome for making trainers closer to yourself), and this game takes place in a USA esque region so lots of different races had to show up. The other games took place in regions modeled after Japan.

Also damn at Sky Drop not being fixed. I'm not sure what the glitch does, but it sucks that you cant use a Pokemon's signature move in battle.

Andrex said:
Yeah, I mean my team is still gonna be competitive (not all perfect IVs, but at least perfect in one stat probably), but I'm a real fish out of water when it comes to anything but straight up singles, so I'm sure my own chances for winning are probably low. I also have to say that I got defeated by every challenger when I was a gym leader in the GAF league last year. My teams seem to lack any kind of synchronization even if individually the Pokemon themselves are threatening. That, and I'm still learning which moves to use when.

Your Gyarados scares me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:
To be fair on the 15 years part, PBR let use pick skin tone (awesome for making trainers closer to yourself), and this game takes place in a USA esque region so lots of different races had to show up. The other games took place in regions modeled after Japan.

Well there was Brock and that floozy gym leader from those sucky Gen 3 games (lol), but this is indeed the first game with straight-out black people (gym leader and Elite Four member to boot!) And of course the dancers.

As for PBR, they only added the darker skin tones for the international release, ironically.

Teknoman said:
Your Gyarados scares me.

You should see my Garchomp.

But seriously, that Gyarados is probably my favorite of my team... maybe tied with Togekiss. I mean, it's shiny, it's clearly recognizable from what was my favorite Pokemon game ever, and it kicks competitive butt. And it's part flying-type. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect fit.

Zertez

Izayoi said:
You're pretty much out of luck. Smogon is almost 100% illegitimate Pokemon and /vp/ is, well... /vp/.
How would you recommend getting Pokemon from Generation 1? Im not sure if it is too early to ask since most havent transferred many things over, but seems the only people wanting to trade Generation 1 and 3 want ridiculous things in return.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Gravijah said:
Man, I think Volcarona is one of my favorite Pokemon design wise ever. Nevermind that it's also strong as hell.
It's full of win and it's a bug type. My mind is still trying to comprehend how that combination is possible.

Poyunch

Forceatowulf said:
It's full of win and it's a bug type. My mind is still trying to comprehend how that combination is possible.
Thank god they didn't go with a fire ant. It's much more logical but it would never be as awesome as Volcorona.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PounchEnvy said:
Thank god they didn't go with a fire ant. It's much more logical but it would never be as awesome as Volcorona.

Steel ant is still kind of awesome IMO. Probably my favorite bug this gen.

Gravijah said:
Haha, really? It just feels so throwaway to me, kinda like Heatmor or whatever. Maybe they'll grow on me.

It's because they're stuck in Victory Road. By time you get there, you have zero interest in making any new Pokemon friends (that aren't Deino).

Speaking of the rivals, do they have any specific speech mannerisms in the English text? In the French version, Cheren is all about fancy words/upper-class polite talk while Bianca is basically just the childish dumb blonde stereotype.

Poyunch

Holy Order Sol said:
Speaking of the rivals,, do they have any specific speech mannerisms in the English text? In the French version, Cheren is all about fancy words/upper-class polite talk while Bianca is basically just the childish dumb blonde stereotype.
It's basically the same way except Cheren is more cold than fancy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Haha, really? It just feels so throwaway to me, kinda like Heatmor or whatever. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Maybe because a Beast Wars ant Transformer was one of my favorite toys as a kid...

Wiseblade

Holy Order Sol said:
Speaking of the rivals,, do they have any specific speech mannerisms in the English text? In the French version, Cheren is all about fancy words/upper-class polite talk while Bianca is basically just the childish dumb blonde stereotype.
Cheren's more neutral, but Bianca definitely has a childish way of speaking.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Izayoi said:
Smogon is a shithole, stay away.

lol. Even if you don't care for the 'elitist' attitude, and don't agree with their tiering/banning, it's a good resource. Pokemon is really a numbers game, and they're very serious about trying to find the best, most successful strategies. I don't care for everyone on the site, and I don't follow the analysis step for step. It's just a resource.

Izayoi

Banned
Zertez said:
How would you recommend getting Pokemon from Generation 1? Im not sure if it is too early to ask since most havent transferred many things over, but seems the only people wanting to trade Generation 1 and 3 want ridiculous things in return.
Ask GAF! I know that there are many people here, including myself, who have all 643 currently available Pokemon.

Green Scar said:
It's because they're stuck in Victory Road. By time you get there, you have zero interest in making any new Pokemon friends (that aren't Deino).
Yeah. I wish they were introduced a little earlier. I like the idea of the rivalry and stuff but they're so close to the end of the game that they don't really get a chance to shine - and it's not like they're particularly powerful or anything.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
Time is right as soon as VGC locations are announced. Join us in Indianapolis on the weekend of July 8th - 10th :)

EvilMario said:
lol. Even if you don't care for the 'elitist' attitude, and don't agree with their tiering/banning, it's a good resource. Pokemon is really a numbers game, and they're very serious about trying to find the best, most successful strategies. I don't care for everyone on the site, and I don't follow the analysis step for step. It's just a resource.
We need to be more elitist :( Smogon becoming less and less elitist and I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom