• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiseblade said:
Beginners guide to Natures (by Wiseblade)
1) Pick one of these natures:

Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)

Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack)
Jolly (+Speed, -Special Attack)

Timid (+Speed -Attack)

Relaxed (+Defense, -Speed)

Sassy (+Special Defense, -Speed)

There is no step 2.
Sooooo for a Scrafty, should I go with Adamant, Relaxed or Sassy?

Balb

Wiseblade said:
Beginners guide to Natures (by Wiseblade)

1) Pick one of these natures:

Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)

Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack)

Jolly (+Speed, -Special Attack)

Timid (+Speed -Attack)

Relaxed (+Defense, -Speed)

Sassy (+Special Defense, -Speed)

There is no step 2.

I use Hasty for my Infernape.

Suairyu

Banned
Andrex said:
How to choose natures (by Andrex):
  1. Attack or Special Attack. Choose one.
  2. Eliminate the natures that don't debuff whichever one you didn't choose.
  3. Then choose from that selection based on which stat you want to buff the most; usually this is either the attack stat you chose or Speed.
I get the principle, just not the finer points. Like, take Thundurus:
http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/thundurus

Despite high attack, he has even higher special attack, so that's his purpose. So, buff special attack or speed? Both are already obscenely high. And then, out of the rubbish stats, what do I pick to knock down even further? HP, Defense or Special Defense? Defense is his worst, so that? Or perhaps just debuff attack, sparing his weaker stats, as I won't be using attack?

Like as far as I see it, there are options here, man.

Wiseblade

Balb said:
I use Hasty for my Infernape.
Like I said earlier, Mixed attackers aren't "beginner". I just chose the six natures a beginner would get the most mileage out of until they got the hang of working things out for themselves.

Izayoi

Banned
Suairyu said:

Despite high attack, he has even higher special attack, so that's his purpose. So, buff special attack or speed? Both are already obscenely high. And then, out of the rubbish stats, what do I pick to knock down even further? HP, Defense or Special Defense? Defense is his worst, so that? Or perhaps just debuff attack, sparing his weaker stats, as I won't be using attack?

He's a Special Sweeper. With an already great speed stat you're going to want to put out as much damage as possible. Modest would be his ideal nature.

Fewr

Andrex said:
I got an Emboar from the GTS but the font its name is in is all weird... is it hacked, or just like from Italy or something? Its name is Chavo, don't know if that's Emboar's name in a different language...
The word "chavo" is most likely mexican.

After being pissed off at what I did with ferroseed I went to okamiden. After being pissed off at losing a boss battle people I have to watch that damn guys health and my own I said F it back to pokemon lol. Time to make my team again.

Suairyu said:

I don't know much about Thundurus, but check its movepool and see what you think would be best to use, physical or special attacks. Take the rest of your team into accountas well, since you may or may not want two Pokémon serving similar purposes.

Ondore

Someone on GameFAQs got this attached to a Ditto they got off the GTS from Japan:
13004696661.jpg

Wow. Just... wow.

Suairyu

Banned
Izayoi said:
He's a Special Sweeper. With an already great speed stat you're going to want to put out as much damage as possible. Modest would be his ideal nature.
Bam! There we go. Thankyou!

Do I save the game before the first or second time I meet Thundurus?

Wiseblade

Suairyu said:

From a quick glace on Bulbapedia, I see that pretty much all of Thundurus' best moves use his Special Attack and he has a way to boost it with Nasty Plot. I'd go with timid. In fact I'd probably run this:

Thundurus @ Damp Rock/Focus Sash
Timid (+Speed, -Atk)
-Rain Dance
-Nasty Plot
-Thunder
-Dark Pulse/Focus Blast/Filler

Prankster ability means Thundurus will always go first if he uses a non attacking move, which makes him perfect for setting up rain on the first turn. Thunder becomes a guaranteed hit in the rain making it favourable to Thunderbolt for him. Nasty Plot is there so that if you get the chance you can make everything not pink and fat die.

Izayoi

Banned
Ondore said:
Someone on GameFAQs got this attached to a Ditto they got off the GTS from Japan:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/dragonmick/13004696661.jpg[IMG]

Wow. Just... wow.[/quote]
:(

[quote=Suairyu]Bam! There we go. Thankyou!

Do I save the game before the first or second time I meet Thundurus?[/quote]
You're going to want to get him low with a status condition, then save when he's on the same route as you.

Also, don't listen to what I said initally, Wiseblade is right.

[quote=Wiseblade]From a quick glace on Bulbapedia, I see that pretty much all of Thundurus' best moves use his Special Attack and he has a way to boost it with Nasty Plot. I'd go with timid. In fact I'd probably run this:

Thundurus @ Damp Rock/Focus Sash
Timid (+Speed, -S.Atk)
-Rain Dance
-Nasty Plot
-Thunder
-Dark Pulse/Focus Blast/Filler

Prankster ability means Thundurus will always go first if he uses a non attacking move, which makes him perfect for setting up rain on the first turn. Thunder becomes a guaranteed hit in the rain making it favourable to Thunderbolt for him. Nasty Plot is there so that if you get the chance you hcan make everything not pick and fat die.[/quote]
I completely forgot about the Genie trio's Prankster. Such a good ability. Timid is definitely the way to go.

Suairyu

Banned
Nasty Plot, eh? "Raises the user's Special Attack by two stages."
What constitutes a 'stage'? I'm assuming two stages is enough to offset the reduction in S.Attack caused by Timid?

And I'm planning to just lob the masterball at him. When is the nature determined? The very first time you meet him?

beje

Banned
Delio said:
Man breeding for a Careful Almomola. Taking..forever

Pfff I'm waiting for a correctly natured Druddigon. Almost have the IVs, and even a perfect Atk I'm passing through with the Brace but every single one I get has a completely shitty and unusable nature.

Edit: I just got a Jolly one. It's better than nothing but this pokémon is not especially quick so I don't think it would make a difference.

Andrefpvs

Ondore said:
13004696661.jpg

Wow. Just... wow.

Dude... :(

Also, I think more people should attach mail to their Pokémon when trading them. I'd love to have my Mail Box full of messages from people all over the world. I only have one from Bianca atm :|

Wiseblade

Suairyu said:
What constitutes a 'stage'? I'm assuming two stages is enough to offset the reduction in S.Attack caused by Timid?

And I'm planning to just lob the masterball at him. When is the nature determined? The very first time you meet him?
Sorry Timid is +Speed, -Attack. he wouldn't be using his physical attack with the set i posted, so there's no harm in reducing it.

Each "stage" increases a stat by 50% of it original value. So after using Nasty Plot once, Thundurus' Special Attack doubles.

Delio

beje said:
Pfff I'm waiting for a correctly natured Druddigon. Almost have the IVs, and even a perfect Atk I'm passing through with the Brace but every single one I get has a completely shitty and unusable nature.

Edit: I just got a Jolly one. It's better than nothing but this pokémon is not especially quick so I don't think it would make a difference.

I've got a nice Defense IV so now it's just waiting on a Careful Female.

Izayoi

Banned
Suairyu said:

I actually don't know, but you're probably right.

I would save before meeting him.

Also, for a guide on what stat changes do:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stat_changing_moves#Stat_modifiers

O D I N

Andrefpvs said:
I only have one from Bianca atm :|

Everytime she says something, all I can think is "STFU!!!!!"

>:[

Can't stand her.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Well, picked this up a few minutes ago. It's my first time since Gen 1 going into a Pokemon game blind, so here goes, I guess.

Godspeed, soldier.

btkadams

Ondore said:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/dragonmick/13004696661.jpg[IMG]

Wow. Just... wow.[/QUOTE]
this just made me really sad.

The IV talk around here feels like too much for me to handle :(.
I find it awfully confusing when trying to read it on Serebii. I usually just breed 7 of the same pokemon and pic the one with the best starting stats (and right "nature").

Played by now 50-60 hours of the game, must say I am starting to get bored/burned out. But this doesn't stop my Pokemon addiction of thinking most of the day of possible pokemon tactics/EV/breeding methods.

vall03

storafötter said:
I find it awfully confusing when trying to read it on Serebii. I usually just breed 7 of the same pokemon and pic the one with the best starting stats (and right "nature").

Played by now 50-60 hours of the game, must say I am starting to get bored/burned out.
same here, IVs are too much to handle for me, as long as I have the right Nature and right EV spread, Im ok. Really dont want to touch IVs since I cant manipulate them and mostly based on luck.

Raxus

storafötter said:

Played by now 50-60 hours of the game, must say I am starting to get bored/burned out.
Thank goodness there is a critic at the battle subway. He lets you know where your pokemon excels and if he has a good IV. Makes things a little easier.

Boogiepop

Battle Subway :( Got to 16 or so in Super Single before a Sceptile wiped both my Garchomp and Swampert (my Weavile got killed by the first Pokemon). Ugh, getting enough BP for all the power items, TMs, and possibly at least a few other items is going to be tough.

Obsessed said:
Reading the description on Bulbapedia, the Power items give your Pokemon 4 EVs after every battle, even if the Pokemon doesn't participate? That seems really really good. Is that even true?

Repeating my question.

D-Pad

So I said "fuck it" and went ahead and transferred all of my HeartGold friends over, including my EV trained battle-team. This time, however, I left a couple of friends so hoothoot wouldn't be lonely. :p That and a roaming Latias which I gave up on catching because it sucks and won't come anywhere near me.

I'm still only sitting on about 320 seen AND owned. WTF! Too many monsters. :\

Also, I'm convinced the points earned in the transfer game is (also) based on aim, because I can end around the same time with the same amount of misses and get drastically different results (700-900?!).

beje

Banned
Raxus said:
Thank goodness there is a critic at the battle subway. He lets you know how your pokemon excels and if he has a good IV. Makes things a little easier.

Yeah, that's the way I do it. Coupled with some rare candies you get throughout the adventure and an IV calculator you can have a pretty nice grasp of the IVs of the just captured/hatched pokémon.

Achtius

beje said:
Yeah, that's the way I do it. Coupled with some rare candies you get throughout the adventure and an IV calculator you can have a pretty nice grasp of the IVs of the just captured/hatched pokémon.

Go to the building left of pokemon center in Nimbasa, it'll automatically scale your pokemon to 50 until battle is over (save before hand and soft reset to get out)

Gravijah

D-Pad said:
So I said "fuck it" and went ahead and transferred all of my HeartGold friends over, including my EV trained battle-team. This time, however, I left a couple of friends so hoothoot wouldn't be lonely. :p That and a roaming Latias which I gave up on catching because it sucks and won't come anywhere near me.

I'm still only sitting on about 320 seen AND owned. WTF! Too many monsters. :\

Grey or next gen or RSE remakes or whatever need to put more catchable Pokemon in the game. Go all out with seasons, time of day, etc.

Raxus said:
Thank goodness there is a critic at the battle subway. He lets you know where your pokemon excels and if he has a good IV. Makes things a little easier.

Thats very interesting, will definitely check the my future pokemons there. I just hope I don't start obsessing over imperfections if i get the hang of it :p.

beje

Banned
Achtius said:
Go to the building left of pokemon center in Nimbasa, it'll automatically scale your pokemon to 50 until battle is over (save before hand and soft reset to get out)

Great. I learn this when I already have almost 5 out of 6 of my team IV bred T_______T

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
So with 645 Playing Marvel and Firestorm based on Smogon, does this make me GAF's competitive Pokémon authority?

:D

I'd probably put EvilMario and beje over you. :p But you're a good bronze.

Zertez

Gravijah said:
bianca haters gtfo

EhF7t.gif
I hate her so much. She always shows up at the worse times and the fights normally are not all that bad, but most the time I just fought a decent trainer with low health and she pops up out of no where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom