• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Teknoman said:
To be fair on the 15 years part, PBR let use pick skin tone (awesome for making trainers closer to yourself), and this game takes place in a USA esque region so lots of different races had to show up. The other games took place in regions modeled after Japan.
I don't play those games so I had no clue. But as far as the main games are concerned it's been 15 years.

I really hope they take the next step and allow us to create our own characters soon. It's been a long time coming.
Andrex said:
Well there was Brock and that floozy gym leader from those sucky Gen 3 games (lol), but this is indeed the first game with straight-out black people (gym leader and Elite Four member to boot!) And of course the dancers.

As for PBR, they only added the darker skin tones for the international release, ironically.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brock is Asian with a heavy tan.

EvilMario said:
lol. Even if you don't care for the 'elitist' attitude, and don't agree with their tiering/banning, it's a good resource. Pokemon is really a numbers game, and they're very serious about trying to find the best, most successful strategies. I don't care for everyone on the site, and I don't follow the analysis step for step. It's just a resource.
It's a good site with shit people is what I like to say.

jman2050

Smogon is an excellent resource for getting a hold of the mechanics of hardcore training and knowing how to maximize the potential of a given pokemon based on what type of team you want to put together.

It is however, as Izayoi has already said, also a shithole.

Zertez

Izayoi said:
Ask GAF! I know that there are many people here, including myself, who have all 643 currently available Pokemon.
Ive asked the past 3 or 4 days, without much luck yet. Dont want to spam the thread. Ive been looking for female Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Turtwig and Smeargle. At this point I would be happy with a short loan to breed or just to put in Dex, so I can trade for them.

The Lamp

Andrex said:
that floozy gym leader from those sucky Gen 3 games

R2nF3.jpg

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
lol. Even if you don't care for the 'elitist' attitude, and don't agree with their tiering/banning, it's a good resource. Pokemon is really a numbers game, and they're very serious about trying to find the best, most successful strategies. I don't care for everyone on the site, and I don't follow the analysis step for step. It's just a resource.
This. Even though I've Disagreed with a lot of the recent banning decisions, the site is an amazing strategic resource. I just wish there was more of an emphasis on following GF's meta and less on their own house rules.

EDIT: Andrex, will you ever learn?

Are there any 3rd gen Pokemon still exclusive to the third gen?

I don't think there are, which might make a RS remake less appealing for many. For HG/SS we still needed a reasonable way to catch most of the legends from GS, and actually HG/SS also had the Hoenn legends also.

And a RS remake would obviously be a 3DS game, so the compatibility between the DS and 3DS would be a little different. Also they'd have to make improvements to the visuals and take advantage of the added 3DS power, which makes me believe we'll actually get a Black/White remake (Grey) before we get RS. With Grey they will create the new 3DS Pokemon engine, and then make a quick remake of RS with that engine later.

Gravijah

balladofwindfishes said:
Are there any 3rd gen Pokemon still exclusive to the third gen?

I don't think there are, which might make a RS remake less appealing for many. For HG/SS we still needed a reasonable way to catch most of the legends from GS, and actually HG/SS also had the Hoenn legends also.

And a RS remake would obviously be a 3DS game, so the compatibility between the DS and 3DS would be a little different. Also they'd have to make improvements to the visuals and take advantage of the added 3DS power, which makes me believe we'll actually get a Black/White remake (Grey) before we get RS. With Grey they will create the new 3DS Pokemon engine, and then make a quick remake of RS with that engine later.

Just the starters I think. Wait, they might be in the Dream World. And what Andrex said.

Green Scar said:
I had to deal with Sapphire being a bit shit so so should everyone else :mad:

At least you picked Sapphire over Ruby.

Teknoman

Forceatowulf said:
I don't play those games so I had no clue. But as far as the main games are concerned it's been 15 years.

I really hope they take the next step and allow us to create our own characters soon. It's been a long time coming.

That would be cool. I will say that it was nice see black people in a JRPG that arent there for comic relief.

Izayoi said:
You're pretty much out of luck. Smogon is almost 100% illegitimate Pokemon and /vp/ is, well... /vp/.

By illegitimate do you mean Pokemon with legal stats, but created with the use of PokeSav?

And if most people use PokeSav why even breed your own Pokemon? Sounds like a lot of effort for nothing really.

Teknoman

HenryGale said:
Where can I find a leaf stone? I was told if I showed all the darling to the scientist I get one, but that hasn't worked.

I think you need to show every forme of Deerling. There are some other people that give stones and you can find them in caves too...I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
According to Serebii, the only third-gen Pokemon not obtainable in HG/SS are Regirock, Registeel, Regice (all obtainable in Platinum, but only with a special Japan-only Regigigas), Jirachi (obtainable in all Gen 4 games via Wi-Fi event last October), and Deoxys.

Edit- Beaten.

Wiseblade

Obsessed said:
By illegitimate do you mean Pokemon with legal stats, but created with the use of PokeSav?

And if most people use PokeSav why even breed your own Pokemon? Sounds like a lot of effort for nothing really.

Not Pokésav, but exploiting the RNG, which some people (Read: whiners) don't like.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
HG/SS features nearly every Pokemon possible from Generation I/II/III and most from IV.
If you have Platinum+HG/SS, then you have everything not regulated to event only.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

And that is why the HG/SS Safari Zone kicked ass.

The only really crappy thing about that situation is that neither Glameow nor Stunky are in Platinum. Why? Because GF are jerks.

Wiseblade said:
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald > Gold/Silver/Crystal. There, I said it.

My mind is imploding right now. Seriously, what the hell? Maybe the metagame or whatever was much better but RSE's world and quest were just straight up inferior to Gen II. Besides, after the avalanche of improvements Gen II brought to the table, RSE always had an uphill battle to impress beyond the graphics, but the fact that it removed features from Gen II proves that Game Freak were a bit lost when making RSE.

jman2050

Wiseblade said:
This. Even though I've Disagreed with a lot of the recent banning decisions, the site is an amazing strategic resource. I just wish there was more of an emphasis on following GF's meta and less on their own house rules.

The Garchomp ban during gen IV I was okay with because seriously, FU Garchomp
I realize this is biased
Double Team I sort of understand the reasoning, but then this is also the same metagame that lives and dies by who's weak to Stealth Rock.
The Drizzle/Swift Swim ban is stupid as all hell.
The Inconsistent ban is even MORE stupid as all hell.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
And that is why the HG/SS Safari Zone kicked ass.

Other than the stupid time requirements. Ruined it!

Green Scar said:
My mind is imploding right now. Seriously, what the hell? Maybe the metagame or whatever was much better but RSE's world and quest were just straight up inferior to Gen II. Besides, after the avalanche of improvements Gen II brought to the table, RSE always had an uphill battle to impress beyond the graphics, but the fact that it removed features from Gen II proves that Game Freak were a bit lost when making RSE.

RSE>GSC. Metagross in cool factor > anything from gen 2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Obsessed said:
Oh. And by abusing the RNG you can get Pokemon with 31 in each stat really easily?

AFAIK the B/W RNG still hasn't been completely cracked yet so it may not be so easy.

Wiseblade

jman2050 said:
The Garchomp ban during gen IV I was okay with because seriously, FU Garchomp
I realize this is biased
Double Team I sort of understand the reasoning, but then this is also the same metagame that lives and dies by who's weak to Stealth Rock.
The Drizzle/Swift Swim ban is stupid as all hell.
The Inconsistent ban is even MORE stupid as all hell.

Yeah, Chomp was ridiculous in Gen IV. And Double team needs to stay banned because anyone with Sturdy + a recovery move (Skarmory in particular) could exploit it to hell and back.

But I totally disagree with Salamence being Uber in Gen IV and Drizzle/Swift Swim infuriates me. It's not broken, you just don't want to deal with it!

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Saved it. Made sure the posers got weeded out and only the dedicated got rewarded. :)

I'm just mad because the Safari Zone is one of my favorite things from Pokemon but they made it wayyyyy too annoying in HGSS. Maybe I'll go time travel someday and finish it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
HenryGale said:
Where can I find a leaf stone? I was told if I showed all the darling to the scientist I get one, but that hasn't worked.
I think I got one from the first pier in the city. There was a girl at the side of the pier who asked me what type of Pansear/sage/pour i wanted to evolve, and gave it to me.

backlot

Obsessed said:
Oh. And by abusing the RNG you can get Pokemon with 31 in each stat really easily?
More easily than if you tried getting all 31's by normal breeding. Actually abusing the RNG can get pretty complicated though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
I'm just mad because the Safari Zone is one of my favorite things from Pokemon but they made it wayyyyy too annoying in HGSS. Maybe I'll go time travel someday and finish it.

I always thought it was annoying, you're just getting into it and... bam, called all the way back to the start. HG/SS Safari Zone felt like an open sandbox that you got to play with, and if you did it right, you could encounter a couple new Pokemon almost every week for a good month or two. Then when you were done with that, you just had to check back in in a few months to get the last stragglers. I mean, they probably should have gone the whole way with updating it including taking out that dumb as hell bait/mud system, but it was still the best Safari Zone. The amount of Pokemon possible is just insane.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
RNG abuse is no illegitimate by any means. They're not hacking, they just have an advanced knowledge of the mechanics. People might not like it, but that's the way it is.

Nintendo usually detects Pokesav Pokemon, because there is some 'garbage' information when every Pokemon is created and they can detect that at tournaments. Although maybe this is differen't now? VGC 2011 is this generation only, which should solve any issues about easily RNGed Pokemon from 4th Generation, because I don't believe B/W is quite so easy at the moment.

BowieZ

Banned
I just realized I have no idea about ANYTHING to do with Pokemon. I clicked on this thread out of curiosity. WOW. It's a whole other world in here.

I know there's a pikachu thing and you gotta catch all of 'em pokemon, but apart from that...

Am I missing out?

jman2050

Really, the worst part about RSE is the fact that pretty much all the music is mediocre-to-terrible.

I mean yeah that's partially the GBA's fault but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom