• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
balladofwindfishes said:
RS had some really cool Pokemon in it though. Stuff like Salamence, Metagross, Blaziken, Trapinch, Torkoal and Dusclops were top tier looking Pokemon.

Disagree with crossed out stuff.

I used to power through all the games. Im going for a complete nova dex. Never completed any dex before. Im being very thorough and leveling everyone I get. I have about 85 hours and 5 gym badges. 92 pokemon seen and 86 caught.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is the reason why Generation 3 was great.. and why the 3DS remakes will be.. AMAZING!
Also, Regitro, the best trio

LKPpR.jpg

Well I don't want to learn how to abuse the RNG, so should I just give up breeding? I'd pretty much be at a disadvantage for almost all battles because I'd imagine most of the people I'd be playing would be using RNG'abused Pokemon, or PokeSav'ed Pokemon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
I just realized I have no idea about ANYTHING to do with Pokemon. I clicked on this thread out of curiosity. WOW. It's a whole other world in here.

I know there's a pikachu thing and you gotta catch all of 'em pokemon, but apart from that...

Am I missing out?

Over 11,000 posts say... Yes.

Check the OP if you're curious about these games specifically.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Obsessed said:
Well I don't want to learn how to abuse the RNG, so should I just give up breeding? I'd pretty much be at a disadvantage for almost all battles because I'd imagine most of the people I'd be playing would be using RNG'abused Pokemon, or PokeSav'ed Pokemon.

Naw, people really only RNG for IVs and shiny-ness, and while IVs are important in the metagame, EVs, moveset, hold item, and nature are much more important. I wouldn't sweat it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Obsessed said:

No. I'd say the vast majority of people online breed, and do not RNG abuse. You have various levels of breeding too though. People that just want 31 IVs in their Attack/Speed, and don't care about other stats as long as they're reasonable.. and then people that need 31/30 IVs in everything. There will always be various levels.

Just try not to be OCD about it, and enjoy it. If you find yourself not enjoying the process, take a break.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
No. I'd say the vast majority of people online breed, and do not RNG abuse. You have various levels of breeding too though. People that just want 31 IVs in their Attack/Speed, and don't care about other stats as long as they're reasonable.. and then people that need 31/30 IVs in everything. There will always be various levels.

Just try not to be OCD about it, and enjoy it. If you find yourself not enjoying the process, take a break.

EvilMario maybe you know, what would be the difference in damage of between an attack that has an IV of 0 and the same attack but with an IV of 31, at say level 100? I always wanted to know. I imagine it's like 10 HP or less.

survivor

Banned
Obsessed said:
To be honest the only IV stat you should ever bother to get perfect is Speed. Yeah sure others are important but it doesn't matter if you are off by few points. The main obstacle in breeding anyway is getting those Dittos with good IVs.

Andrex said:
Naw, people really only RNG for IVs and shiny-ness, and while IVs are important in the metagame, EVs, moveset, hold item, and nature are much more important. I wouldn't sweat it.

EvilMario said:

Good to know. :p

Time to finish EV training my Drilbur.

jman2050

Obsessed said:

Nah, if you don't want to go OCD on the min-maxing, don't. 31s aren't necessary, just look for mostly above average stuff in the areas that your pokemon need.

The one exception IIRC is with speed, since that's the one stat where a few points difference can make a huge difference depending on the matchup and EV spreads. And even then the acceptable threshold is much lower than a perfect 31.

Magnus

So, Black/White were quite fantastic to experience after basically playing none of the games since Gen II.

Got addicted to the games again, and learned that having both Gen IV games and Gen V basically give you access to almost all the various Pokeymans, so I'm going for it.

Started up Platinum yesterday. And it's fun and all, but man, Gen V destroys Platinum so far in every department. Pokemon sprites/animation, music (by a mile), challenge, characterization/script, Pokemon design...shit. I almost wish I played Gen IV first.

EvilMario said:
This is the reason why Generation 3 was great.. and why the 3DS remakes will be.. AMAZING!
Also, Regitro, the best trio

This will get me to buy a 3DS. I am holding out for a price drop/re-design. I always get caught with the first version of the handheld. Plus I really just want it for pokemon.

Never played Gen 3. So a 3DS remake would be fantastic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Magnus said:
So, Black/White were quite fantastic to experience after basically playing none of the games since Gen II.

Got addicted to the games again, and learned that having both Gen IV games and Gen V basically give you access to almost all the various Pokeymans, so I'm going for it.

Started up Platinum yesterday. And it's fun and all, but man, Gen V destroys Platinum so far in every department. Pokemon sprites/animation, music (by a mile), challenge, characterization/script, Pokemon design...shit. I almost wish I played Gen IV first.

Eh, I still think Gen 4 had very strong writing, Pokemon designs, and region design. The story isn't as involved as B/W but it's still enjoyable, and very funny in parts. One major leg up Platinum has is that the encounter rate is the best of the series.

Edit- Although the HM's are pretty ridiculous. I'm glad B/W toned it down a lot.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
BowieZ said:
I just realized I have no idea about ANYTHING to do with Pokemon. I clicked on this thread out of curiosity. WOW. It's a whole other world in here.

I know there's a pikachu thing and you gotta catch all of 'em pokemon, but apart from that...

Am I missing out?
It's a fun series for sure. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Outside of Red/Blue I haven't played another Pokemon game until Platinum and I quit that because the games had really really changed. Used to be you could play and figure out pretty much everything as you went. Now you'll miss a ton of stuff if you don't play with some sort of guide.

So for the die hard Pokefans here I have a question: What's up with shiny pokemon? I mean I know they're rare but my research so far only indicates that they used to have set IVs but now the only difference is cosmetic. I ask because right after I got my first badge I landed a shiny Shinx and I'm curious if I need to do anything special with it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Andrex said:
EvilMario maybe you know, what would be the difference in damage of between an attack that has an IV of 0 and the same attack but with an IV of 31, at say level 100? I always wanted to know. I imagine it's like 10 HP or less.

Every IV is a point to the stat (or 4 EVs, if you will). It can make quite the difference.

Just to demonstrate, Tyranitar with Choice Band and 252 Atk EVs vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey with Crunch.

31 IVs in Attack: 55.9% - 66%
0 IVs in Attack: 51% - 60.2%

Even more extreme, because Blissey has very low Defense as it is; if Blissey had a 0 IV in Defense, Crunch (31 Atk IVs) would do: 75.6% - 89.1%. Quite the difference. There are plenty of good damage calculators out there, if you're curious.

Smogon's is decent, Metalkid is commonly used as well.

Wiseblade

jman2050 said:
Worst title theme song
Worst champion music
Worst Gym Leader music
Worst wild battle music
Worst surfing theme, pokemon center music, route music, I could go on.

Sootopolis City was pretty awesome though at least
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2MP97fwOa8
1) Wrong. GSC has a WAY worse intro.
2) Wrong. B/W wishes it had RSE's champion theme.
3) Wrong. Best Gym leader theme is more like it.
4) I'll give you this one. but it's still not a bad theme.
5) Actually it has the BEST surfing theme. the Diving theme is amazing too.
6) Wrong yet again. RSE's PC theme is leagues about B/W's.

On top of that The weather trio has the best legendary battle music ever, the abandoned Ship theme, the best Cave theme, the desert theme. and lost of amazing routes.

Plus Emerald has the Frontier Brain battle theme which is fantastic too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
Every IV is a point to the stat (or 4 EVs, if you will). It can make quite the difference.

Just to demonstrate, Tyranitar with Choice Band and 252 Atk EVs vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey with Crunch.

31 IVs in Attack: 55.9% - 66%
0 IVs in Attack: 51% - 60.2%

Even more extreme, because Blissey has very low Defense as it is; if Blissey had a 0 IV in Defense, Crunch would do: 75.6% - 89.1%

Hrm, wow, much bigger disparity than I thought. Maybe I should be trying for perfect everything...

Edit- Although in all of those situations, it's a 2HKO.

D-Pad

Of all the things to hate about Ruby and Sapphire, the music should not be one of them.

Especially when you have things like ocean (I hate surfing) the annoying as hell fonts, the ugly menu colors, the terrible people sprites, and the trees.

Those fucking skinny trees.

Thank God for FireRed/LeafGreen.

Maybe next gen we'll see a variety of different trees mixed together.

Poyunch

Gen III is still the fastest of the series. At least outside of battles.

But yeah I don't know what it is about Gen V but I haven't been as satisfied with Pokemon since Gen II. I skipped Gen III and played Gen IV because I met some guys who were into Pokemon (which then forced me to catch up and play Gen III). I really didn't enjoy Gen IV. It felt like I wasn't really missing anything going from Gen II to Gen IV. There was a lot of new mechanics but the structure felt generally the same.

I think that's why I enjoyed Gen V so much. But Gen II is cited as being linear and the same with Gen V. Maybe I just like linear Pokemon games. :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Andrex said:
Hrm, wow, much bigger disparity than I thought. Maybe I should be trying for perfect everything...

Edit- Although in all of those situations, it's a 2HKO.

I'd say try to be reasonable with it. Speed is the most important stat in almost every case, because having a 30 Speed IV with your Starmie, and losing to Azelf because the Azelf has a perfect Speed IV is terrible.

I use to breed for 31/30 IVs for a long while, but it's too much work now. As long as I score the Speed IV, and Attack IV being perfect for my sweeper, I only need reasonable IVs (25+) for my other stats. I just do breeding for fun anyways, and mostly for Battle Tower/Subway teams.

Edit response: It's just an example in that situation. Look at it this way though. The first Blissey can switch out of Tyranitar's Pursuit without nearly dying. Blissey could die to SR if it comes back in having taken that much damage, and Sand Stream going. Also, if it's a WishBliss, it might be able to stall out Tyranitar if it's low health and Poisoned with Toxic Spikes (common for a Stall team that Blissey might be on).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PounchEnvy said:
Gen III is still the fastest of the series. At least outside of battles.

But yeah I don't know what it is about Gen V but I haven't been as satisfied with Pokemon since Gen II. I skipped Gen III and played Gen IV because I met some guys who were into Pokemon (which then forced me to catch up and play Gen III). I really didn't enjoy Gen IV. It felt like I wasn't really missing anything going from Gen II to Gen IV. There was a lot of new mechanics but the structure felt generally the same.

I think that's why I enjoyed Gen V so much. But Gen II is cited as being linear and the same with Gen V. Maybe I just like linear Pokemon games. :/

Sinnoh was pretty linear I thought... maybe not in terms of geography like Unova, but still pretty plain as to where to go next... Plus, no ocean.

D-Pad

Wiseblade said:
1) Wrong. GSC has a WAY worse intro.
2) Wrong. B/W wishes it had RSE's champion theme.
3) Wrong. Best Gym leader theme is more like it.
4) I'll give you this one. but it's still not a bad theme.
5) Actually it has the BEST surfing theme. the Diving theme is amazing too.
6) Wrong yet again. RSE's PC theme is leagues about B/W's.

On top of that The weather trio has the best legendary battle music ever, the abandoned Ship theme, the best Cave theme, the desert theme. and lost of amazing routes.

Plus Emerald has the Frontier Brain battle theme which is fantastic too.

Gold and Silver has the best surfing music so you're wrong too! :p

RS had a pretty ridiculous camera angle. I found that, and the skinny trees to be pretty annoying.
For some reason I never noticed the huge amount of surfing until you just mentioned it.

I tried playing FR again a few months ago and it moved way too fast for me. Also not having the Pokemon animate was kind of off-putting. It made everything seem robotic and artificial.

But FR is still an ace GBA game, and one of the best Pokemon games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Gold and Silver has the best surfing music so you're wrong too! :p

And the Kanto gym leader theme in HG/SS is definitely the best gym music in the series, B/W final gym Pokemon notwithstanding.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Gen 4 is poop. The rest are awesome.

Wrong.

jman2050

Wiseblade said:
1) Wrong. GSC has a WAY worse intro. No
2) Wrong. B/W wishes it had RSE's champion theme. I actually hadn't heard Alder's battle theme until now and it does indeed suck ass. Oh well, RSE's is second worst then
3) Wrong. Best Gym leader theme is more like it. Hell no
4) I'll give you this one. but it's still not a bad theme. Fair enough
5) Actually it has the BEST surfing theme. the Diving theme is amazing too. Maybe I just got sick of hearing it cause surfing comprised 70% of the game
6) Wrong yet again. RSE's PC theme is leagues about B/W's. Haha no

On top of that The weather trio has the best legendary battle music ever, the abandoned Ship theme, the best Cave theme, the desert theme. and lost of amazing routes. There's some decent stuff there, but nothing amazing

Plus Emerald has the Frontier Brain battle theme which is fantastic too.Okay, I had forgotten about this one. Point goes to you

So yeah

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firehead said:
No idea why I thought Cheren was a girl... Odd. Oh well!
So, what would be the best Pokemon to help captures? I saw something about Smeargle a few pages back, would that be correct?

Smeargle can have the 'best' moveset with Spore (100% sleep) / False Swipe / Mean Look. You could even use Taunt on him to stop a Pokemon from healing, if need be.

backlot

EvilMario said:
Edit response: It's just an example in that situation. Look at it this way though. The first Blissey can switch out of Tyranitar's Pursuit without nearly dying. Blissey could die to SR if it comes back in having taken that much damage, and Sand Stream going. Also, if it's a WishBliss, it might be able to stall out Tyranitar if it's low health and Poisoned with Toxic Spikes (common for a Stall team that Blissey might be on).
You will never see a legit WishBliss outside of a simulator though. It was an obscure event a long time ago and I've never heard of anyone actually having one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firehead said:
No idea why I thought Cheren was a girl... Odd. Oh well!
So, what would be the best Pokemon to help captures? I saw something about Smeargle a few pages back, would that be correct?

Smeargle because it can learn any move. Breloom is what I use (in combo with Smeargle.)

Smeargle
Mean Look
Ingrain
Baton Pass

Breloom
Spore
Sword Dance
False Swipe

Forgot the other moves.

jman2050

backlot said:
You will never see a legit WishBliss outside of a simulator though. It was an obscure event a long time ago and I've never heard of anyone actually having one.

Whose crazy idea was it in the first place to give Blissey of all things Wish?

Delio

Well it's been a few hours but i got this.

Mamanbou - #594 (Careful)
HP: 30
Att: 26 - 27
Def: 30
SpA: 0 - 1
SpD: 22 - 23
Speed: 30 - 31

Keeper? Also it's been in the daycare so it's lv 24 does that mess with it's Evs?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
backlot said:

Definitely, but that's simulators where many people play. Again, it was just an example of IVs and damage output. I don't have many event Pokemon myself, but I did play through Pokemon XD a dozen times just to obtain a few decent Pokemon with rare moves (Heal Bell Dragonite / Articuno and Baton Pass Beedrill.. heh)

WishBliss is nasty this generation too, with Wish healing half of the Wisher's HP.

Delio said:
Well it's been a few hours but i got this.

Mamanbou - #594 (Careful)
HP: 30
Att: 26 - 27
Def: 30
SpA: 0 - 1
SpD: 22 - 23
Speed: 30 - 31

Keeper? Also it's been in the daycare so it's lv 24 does that mess with it's Evs?

Definitely has the stats where you need them. I think it's pretty decent. And Daycare does not effect EVs. EVs are only gained from Experience gained in battles.

ivysaur12

Banned
Question: My school's internet has an open guest network, but when you use it you need to confirm that you abide by its AUP. Fine, whatever. But I think it's messing up when I try to connect my DS to it. Is there anyway around this?

survivor

Banned
Do critical hits ignore all stats change? I thought they always ignored whatever stat the defender Pokemon had but today in the E4 a Throh with -4 attack managed to kill me with critical hit.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
survivor said:
Do critical hits ignore all stats change? I thought they always ignored whatever stat the defender Pokemon had but today in the E4 a Throh with -4 attack managed to kill me with critical hit.

According to Bulbapedia, they explain it like this:

"When a move scores a critical hit, damage is calculated based on either the modified or unmodified attack and defense stats, whichever is more advantageous to the attacker. For example, an attacker who has used Swords Dance and then makes a critical hit will get the benefit of the increased Attack, while one affected by Charm will use its normal Attack score. Another example would be if a team had Light Screen or Reflect on it and the attacker scored a critical on the team with the certain wall; the defense added by the wall would then be ignored, and the attacker would do double damage."

jman2050 said:
Whose crazy idea was it in the first place to give Blissey of all things Wish?

They gave Salamence Wish too. They were Wish crazy back then.

Quick question.

Leveled up my Throh, and need help on which move I should keep.

Should I learn Circle Throw? Current moves:
Revenge
Seismic Toss
Vital Throw
Body Slam

That all seem good. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom