• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuan

Haven't played a Pokemon game since the original. Doesn't appear as though much changed, but the simple mechanics are a nice change of pace and leveling Pokémon is ever-so-addicting. I've got some noob questions:

1. What are the positives/negatives to evolving Pignite immediately? I know that moves generally come later, but do his stat increases per level suffer compared to Emboar's? What's more important? I was considering leveling Pignite to 39 to get Flamethrower and evolving after that.

2. How does nursery leveling work? I put a Pansage in there last night. I know he'll have leveled up by the time I go back to pick him up, but how does the game treat this? Will it acquire skills as well, or is it strictly a level raise with no abilities gained?

Roto13

Takuan said:
2. How does nursery leveling work? I put a Pansage in there last night. I know he'll have leveled up by the time I go back to pick him up, but how does the game treat this? Will it acquire skills as well, or is it strictly a level raise with no abilities gained?
If a Pokemon levels up and gains a move while at the daycare, it will replace the top move on the list. (And if it does it a second time in the same stay at the daycare, it will replace the second move, and so forth.)

The Lamp

Takuan said:
Haven't played a Pokemon game since the original. Doesn't appear as though much changed, but the simple mechanics are a nice change of pace and leveling Pokémon is ever-so-addicting. I've got some noob questions:

1. What are the positives/negatives to evolving Pignite immediately? I know that moves generally come later, but do his stat increases per level suffer compared to Emboar's? What's more important? I was considering leveling Pignite to 39 to get Flamethrower and evolving after that.

A LOT has changed since the original. It's astounding (Though not as much as 13 years should warrant).

Pokemon in the daycare still learn moves and stuff, but I believe the daycare leaders pick which ones are learned and forgotten. I don't know how EVs work with the daycare.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Takuan said:

1. The damage output will be very significant and you're only getting Flamethrower 4 levels earlier. It's your decision.

2. The Daycare gives you Experience for every step you take. Pokemon will not evolve in Daycare, but they will replace their old moves with new ones. That's the only thing you should really be careful with. No Effort Value points are gained through Daycare, only through Battles.

Machine

Takuan said:

If you don't evolve Tepig immediately, you also miss the opportunity to learn a move (Arm Thrust). That may or may not be a big deal to you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Machine said:
If you don't evolve Tepig immediately, you also miss the opportunity to learn a move (Arm Thrust). That may or may not be a big deal to you.

If he really wants, Arm Thrust (and any levelup move) and can taught through the Move Releaner. And Heart Scales are pretty easy to come by in this game. He receives Brick Break / Low Sweep through TMs are well, so it's not exactly like he'll be without a fighting move. And Arm Thrust only reaches Brick Break's base power if it hits all 5 times.

Takuan

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm a bit of a min/maxer, so I guess I'll be evolving into Emboar ASAP.

Daycare info is great to know. Not sure what I'll wind up doing with Pansage - I don't particularly care about it, I just don't have a Grass-type Pokémon at the moment and figured variety is a good thing. Speaking of that, I've already gotten my fourth badge and have yet to find any more than 4-5 interesting Pokémon. There was a reference to a cool-looking dog in Burgh's city, but I haven't come across one of those yet.

Edit: Oh, I'm seeing these "Shiny" palette swapped Pokémon on Bulbapedia. What are these? Rarer versions? Trade-only?

Teknoman

vhfive said:
Am I the only person who plays this game (as well as all other DS games) with the sound off?

I can understand in some areas where thats required or even if you get tired of some of the music, but you are really missing out, especially in this game (and most likely any other high quality DS game).

Its like playing Chrono Trigger or Guitar Hero on mute.

Teknoman said:
I can understand in some areas where thats required or even if you get tired of some of the music, but you are really missing out, especially in this game (and most likely any other high quality DS game).

Its like playing Chrono Trigger or Guitar Hero on mute.

Yeah, thats one thing that I've noticed already and I'm only at the 3rd gym, the music is really great. Reminds me of Earthbound(also great music).

Red

Abyssal Ruins is a pretty cool place. Do each of the dive spots take you to a different ruin or are they all connected?

Game's been a breeze since I got my Hydreigon. Love that thing.

Wiseblade

Stupid Cobalion. You have 1Hp and are paralyzed, why do you keep resisting? Do you think i'll run out of Dark Balls? Because I won't. I'm going to catch you sooner or later so you might as well save us both some time and STAY IN THE DAMN BALL.

kodt

Banned
Total Pokemon noob here. I only played the original Pokemon Red back in the day.

Just a question I have out of curiosity, what exactly would be involved with catching all 646 pokemon?

Would you need to have played older GBA/DS versions and transfer them or can it all be done on Black/White?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Takuan said:
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm a bit of a min/maxer, so I guess I'll be evolving into Emboar ASAP.

Daycare info is great to know. Not sure what I'll wind up doing with Pansage - I don't particularly care about it, I just don't have a Grass-type Pokémon at the moment and figured variety is a good thing. Speaking of that, I've already gotten my fourth badge and have yet to find any more than 4-5 interesting Pokémon. There was a reference to a cool-looking dog in Burgh's city, but I haven't come across one of those yet.

Edit: Oh, I'm seeing these "Shiny" palette swapped Pokémon on Bulbapedia. What are these? Rarer versions? Trade-only?

Shiny Pokemon are alternative palettes, and are pretty rare. Heavily sought after (although they became a lot more common last generation). The odds are around 1/8192 for finding one, although people have really picked apart game mechanics to try to make it much easier to find them.

<3 Shiny Rayquaza

HTavC.gif

Teknoman

kodt said:
Total Pokemon noob here. I only played the original Pokemon Red back in the day.

Just a question I have out of curiosity, what exactly would be involved with catching all 646 pokemon?

Would you need to have played older GBA/DS versions and transfer them or can it all be done on Black/White?

Transfer or just trade with others. Of course a decent amount appear after "beating the game".

Magnus

kodt said:

Between a copy of each of the Gen IV games (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver) and one of the Gen V games (Black/White), it's possible to get like 80% of them. With trading among just the two gens, you could land all but the Event ones, and there's a site to supplement those if you're not opposed to subverting the actual process of going to a Nintendo event.

To be clear though, it's possible, but a long process, to get (I think) absolutely all of them through trading with other Black/White users who've brought the older ones in from their GenIV games, save the Event ones.

Wiseblade

Magnus said:
Between a copy of each of the Gen IV games (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver) and one of the Gen V games (Black/White), it's possible to get like 80% of them. With trading among just the two gens, you could land all but the Event ones, and there's a site to supplement those if you're not ,opposed to subverting the actual process of going to a Nintendo event.
Actually between Platinum and HG/SS, you'd be able to get pratically everything except even legends with a little trading. Even on B/W, There are a ton of older Pokémon post-E4 and Dream World will give you access to loads more.

Red

Damn, after three trips to the Abyssal Ruins, I bought 200 Moomoo milks and 99 revival herbs and still have over
30vgdq1.jpg
200,00 left :eek:

Azure J

Some more random one off notes since my first post yesterday:

- You know what I can't understand? Final Battle N was a decent challenge, but nothing crazy. Ghetis on the other hand... What in the fuck?

This is the part where if GAF was a cartoon show you'd all go "Hydregion?" and I'd dryly answer "Hydregion." Ironically enough I was actually training a Denio to become one and had a Zweilous at 51 by that time.

I lamed that fight out so badly though. Having more Revives than one has PP for a certain attack is a real "screw the rules, I have money" strategy. :lol

- I like how a simple experiment made my momentum nearly come to a screeching halt in this game. Switching out my Lv. 46 Scrafty w/Moxie to open the space for training Denio resulted in me losing all of my fighting type advantages, something which I have learned to respect highly now. :lol

- Is it just me or does everything evolve late as hell in this one? It's cool since I used to hate maxing my Pokemon out before a certain point and then feeling as though there wasn't much else to do in the older games.

- How did I go from stomping on other trainers and eating Gym Leaders/E4 member's lunches to getting OCV'd by the first Pokemon the sleepy psychic used after beating N and looking to gain some experience for my Zweilous and poor Swoobat (everything KOs this one I swear :( )? I didn't know I had to hit 70s by this point! :lol

- This gen has the best music in the series. I seriously can't believe that I'm saying that when Gens 2 & 3 exist and most of the old school R/B/Y stuff makes me 9 - 10 years old again in spirit, but damn. Battle themes, route themes, city themes, you name it I'll give you the most insane thoughts about it. There are some moments musically that remind me of Chrono Trigger and RPG themes of that era, but at the same time it sounds so current it's just too hard to peg as here or there.

- I -seriously- love Volcarona. This gen though really shined with a lot of different Pokemon, especially of the Grass/Bug/Electric variations. Why though did fire types get the shaft...

- Why oh why isn't Dark Pulse a TM move? :( Now no matter what I do, I'm going to have to raise a second Denio from scratch.

All in all, with just the main story stuff seemingly finished and my first little bit of exploring the routes to the west, I'd say that this is easily my favorite generation so far barring some hiccups here and there. Coming in somewhat blind also helped a lot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zee-V70 said:
Maybe the Ruby/Sapphire remakes will be set in the same time as BW, and actually outright reference the Unova region at points; and then Grey is set in both of them--it's a sequel to both BW and the RSE remakes, and you go from Unova over to Hoenn post-E4 in order to keep pursuing N.

RBY/FrLg and RSE happen at the same time.

GSC/HGSS and DPPt happen at the same time about three years later.

B/W happen an unknown amount of time after that (Caitlin moves on from the Sinnoh Battle Frontier to the Unova Elite Four.)

Dartastic

So, how many steps does it take to hatch that egg into the badass pokemon that becomes Volcarona? I'm thinking of at least hatching it before I try and beat the E4. Also, if I put Darmanitan next to it, will it hatch faster?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AzureJericho said:
Some more random one off notes since my first post yesterday:

- You know what I can't understand? Final Battle N was a decent challenge, but nothing crazy. Ghetis on the other hand... What in the fuck?

This is the part where if GAF was a cartoon show you'd all go "Hydregion?" and I'd dryly answer "Hydregion." Ironically enough I was actually training a Denio to become one and had a Zweilous at 51 by that time.

I lamed that fight out so badly though. Having more Revives than one has PP for a certain attack is a real "screw the rules, I have money" strategy. :lol

- I like how a simple experiment made my momentum nearly come to a screeching halt in this game. Switching out my Lv. 46 Scrafty w/Moxie to open the space for training Denio resulted in me losing all of my fighting type advantages, something which I have learned to respect highly now. :lol

- Is it just me or does everything evolve late as hell in this one? It's cool since I used to hate maxing my Pokemon out before a certain point and then feeling as though there wasn't much else to do in the older games.

- How did I go from stomping on other trainers and eating Gym Leaders/E4 member's lunches to getting OCV'd by the first Pokemon the sleepy psychic used after beating N and looking to gain some experience for my Zweilous and poor Swoobat (everything KOs this one I swear :( )? I didn't know I had to hit 70s by this point! :lol

- This gen has the best music in the series. I seriously can't believe that I'm saying that when Gens 2 & 3 exist and most of the old school R/B/Y stuff makes me 9 - 10 years old again in spirit, but damn. Battle themes, route themes, city themes, you name it I'll give you the most insane thoughts about it. There are some moments musically that remind me of Chrono Trigger and RPG themes of that era, but at the same time it sounds so current it's just too hard to peg as here or there.

- I -seriously- love Volcarona. This gen though really shined with a lot of different Pokemon, especially of the Grass/Bug/Electric variations. Why though did fire types get the shaft...

- Why oh why isn't Dark Pulse a TM move? :( Now no matter what I do, I'm going to have to raise a second Denio from scratch.

All in all, with just the main story stuff seemingly finished and my first little bit of exploring the routes to the west, I'd say that this is easily my favorite generation so far barring some hiccups here and there. Coming in somewhat blind also helped a lot.

Huge mistake on the developer's part. I don't understand it either. Dark Pulse is critical to so many Dark-type Pokemon, since few learn it naturally. If you want Houndoom, or Nasty Plot Shiftry now, you have to breed in Generation 4. I hope it's a Move Tutor in the upcoming titles, or they give it to the few Specially based Dark Pokemon that need it.

Dartastic said:
So, how many steps does it take to hatch that egg into the badass pokemon that becomes Volcarona? I'm thinking of at least hatching it before I try and beat the E4. Eh?

10,240 steps, which places it in the highest possible tier for egg hatching.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
kodt said:

I think that you can encounter roughly 600-620ish pokemon (not catch,but encounter, either in the wild or via in-game trainer battles, or by training a pokemon that you CAN catch.) with one of Black/White and either Heart Gold or Soul Silver, but I'm not sure.

There is no way you'll be able to get all 649 pokemon without trading or interacting with people that have other versions (or cheating). It is impossible. It will always be impossible to get all pokemon without trading with other people, and there will always be more pokemo introduced every gen that you have to trade for in order to get, either due to version exclusivity or evolutionary requirements. That is a design choice, a staple of the pokemon franchise, and, indeed, part of the reason why the franchise exploded in the first place.

Thankfully, ever since Diamond/Pearl, we have online capabilities for Pokemon, and can trade with anyone for anything as long as we have their friend codes. Or we can trade for any pokemon we have encountered with complete strangers on the GTS (of course, you'll have to wade through a bazillion fodder for legendary trade proposals to find what you're looking for).

If you want my personal reccomendation? Just enjoy B/W, and if you're still interested after you beat the games to catch them all and participate in the post-game competitive/collecting scene, THEN you can worry about it. There are 156 new pokemon in Black/White (1 or 2 of which are event pokemon that are not legitimately available yet. Actually, one of those will almost certainly be the main legendary of the inevitable Pokemon Grey), and these are the only pokemon you'll be seeing at all within the Unova region before you beat the game and the credits roll.

Don't worry about the other 493... yet.

Jinko

EvilMario said:
Shiny Pokemon are alternative palettes, and are pretty rare. Heavily sought after (although they became a lot more common last generation). The odds are around 1/8192 for finding one, although people have really picked apart game mechanics to try to make it much easier to find them.

<3 Shiny Rayquaza

HTavC.gif

Not to mention that most on the GTS are clones, too bad really.

Alot of the older pokemon will be attainable via dream world when it goes live on the 30th, from what i gather Game Freak will update the pokemon you can meet every so often.

Dartastic

EvilMario said:
10,240 steps, which places it in the highest possible tier for egg hatching.
OMG. I wonder how long that will take me... I think I might just use the bike on a bridge for a while when I'm on the web. Yikes.

Red

GaimeGuy said:
I think that you can encounter roughly 600-620ish pokemon (not catch,but encounter, either in the wild or via in-game trainer battles, or by training a pokemon that you CAN catch.) with one of Black/White and either Heart Gold or Soul Silver, but I'm not sure.

There is no way you'll be able to get all 649 pokemon without trading or interacting with people that have other versions (or cheating). It is impossible. It will always be impossible to get all pokemon without trading with other people, and there will always be more pokemo introduced every gen that you have to trade for in order to get, either due to version exclusivity or evolutionary requirements. That is a design choice, a staple of the pokemon franchise, and, indeed, part of the reason why the franchise exploded in the first place.

Thankfully, ever since Diamond/Pearl, we have online capabilities for Pokemon, and can trade with anyone for anything as long as we have their friend codes. Or we can trade for any pokemon we have encountered with complete strangers on the GTS (of course, you'll have to wade through a bazillion fodder for legendary trade proposals to find what you're looking for).

If you want my personal reccomendation? Just enjoy B/W, and if you're still interested after you beat the games to catch them all and participate in the post-game competitive/collecting scene, THEN you can worry about it. There are 156 new pokemon in Black/White (1 or 2 of which are event pokemon that are not legitimately available yet. Actually, one of those will almost certainly be the main legendary of the inevitable Pokemon Grey), and these are the only pokemon you'll be seeing at all within the Unova region before you beat the game and the credits roll.

Don't worry about the other 493... yet.
Right now I think signs are pointing toward Kyurem being Grey's "mascot," and he's readably available in B/W.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dartastic said:
OMG. I wonder how long that will take me... I think I might just use the bike on a bridge for a while when I'm on the web. Yikes.

At least you can then use the Larvesta / Volcarona for hatching eggs in half the time (thanks to the Flame Body ability)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Andrex said:
RBY/FrLg and RSE happen at the same time.

GSC/HGSS and DPPt happen at the same time about three years later.

B/W happen an unknown amount of time after that (Caitlin moves on from the Sinnoh Battle Frontier to the Unova Elite Four.)

I don't think B/W happens that much later than GSC/HGSS and DPPt. It might not even be a year later.

Actually, I think Gen 2 happens a little after Gen IV (like, immediately after)

Chronologically, I belive it goes:

Gen 1 and Gen 3
*3 year gap*
Gen 4
Gen 2 (basically at the same time as Gen 4, but Gen 2 ends later than Gen 4 does)
*short gap*
Gen 5

Dartastic

EvilMario said:
At least you can then use the Larvesta / Volcarona for hatching eggs in half the time (thanks to the Flame Body ability)
yaaaaaaaaay it hatched! =D It actually wasn't that bad at all. I just rode my bike across the large bridge for like 5 or 10 minutes. Now I'm going to battle the E4 for my first time. Love the presentation that they've given them... it makes it seem like a big deal. :p

Edit - BAHAHAH. ONE battle against ONE of the E4's Pokemon got my Larvesta up to level 16 with the EXP Share. BAHAHAHHAHA. Nice.

Jinko

Dartastic said:
yaaaaaaaaay it hatched! =D It actually wasn't that bad at all. I just rode my bike across the large bridge for like 5 or 10 minutes. Now I'm going to battle the E4 for my first time. Love the presentation that they've given them... it makes it seem like a big deal. :p
Edit - BAHAHAH. ONE battle against ONE of the E4's Pokemon got my Larvesta up to level 16 with the EXP Share. BAHAHAHHAHA. Nice.

LOL thats where all my eggs are hatched XD

Oni Link 666 said:
The evolved water one looks especially stupid. It's like the female lead singer of their monkey band. That is what they're supposed to be, right? Like some kind of monkey band? Like The Monkeys?
They're based on the whole hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil thing.

Gravijah said:
Is it ever mentioned in BW that kids go on journeys at a certain age? Hmm...
Given that it's America, we'd probably have soccer moms protesting that kids go out on their own too early and crap, so it's reasonable to assume that BW kids start their journeys later.

EmCeeGramr said:
:lol

By the way--I don't remember exactly where the trainer was, but he basically said "my pokemans, let me show you them" eloquently. If anyone can recall this as well, by all means elaborate.

OMG Aero

Dartastic said:

You need to fight the wild Audino near Black City/White Forest.
I had a level 1 Pokemon with Lucky Egg and used Gigalith's explosion to kill the Audino so only the first Pokemon got the exp and it earned over 25,000 exp, enough to take it to level 25.

Someone should should hack the game to fight a level 100 wild Audino with a foreign level 1 Pokemon holding a Lucky Egg and with the exp bonus pass power active to see what is the max exp you can earn in a single fight.

I asked you all for advise for which game to get last week, and I finally ended up getting White. I've played it for about 2 hours and I got the first badge, so I'm a little early in the game. I still don't understand why Plasma is telling people not to abuse pokemon and enforce it threw pokemon battles and kicking Munna for dream mist.

Hopefully I see more random pokemon in the fields instead of the same 3 for every section. I don't remember but have the pokemon always looked so pixelated in the battles?

OMG Aero said:
You need to fight the wild Audino near Black City/White Forest.
I had a level 1 Pokemon with Lucky Egg and used Gigalith's explosion to kill the Audino so only the first Pokemon got the exp and it earned over 25,000 exp, enough to take it to level 25.

Someone should should hack the game to fight a level 100 wild Audino with a foreign level 1 Pokemon holding a Lucky Egg and with the exp bonus pass power active to see what is the max exp you can earn in a single fight.
Someone actually mentioned a legitimate way to do this earlier--it would be possible, within the game's limits, to bring a level 1 with max boosts possible all the way up to level 60 with a single kill.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Look what I got today, it's my free shirt I won from @NintendoAmerica!

But, it's....

paS9Kl.jpg

SaPyIl.jpg

Oh well, it still feels comfy. I wouldn't mind that I got the Black shirt if I also got the White shirt too. Still, ever since the two were revealed I have actually preferred Reshiram's design (phallic crotch tuft notwithstanding.) I just wish I could show my White pride instead of Black. :p

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Look what I got today, it's my free shirt I won from @NintendoAmerica!

But, it's....

paS9Kl.jpg

SaPyIl.jpg

Oh well, it still feels comfy. I wouldn't mind that I got the Black shirt if I also got the White shirt too. Still, ever since the two were revealed I have actually preferred Reshiram's design (phallic crotch tuft notwithstanding.) I just wish I could show my White pride instead of Black. :p
Yeah, well my free shirt has both Reshiram and Zekrom on it.

Nintendo of Europe > Nintendo of America. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You also didn't win yours. I had to get mine by proving I had a deep knowledge of Pokemans.

Zomba13

AzureJericho said:
I've always wondered that. Why does Fire always get the shaft?

JVIDICAN

I know it's frowned upon, but last one. Ever. I promise! :p
2wr3ecw.jpg

To contribute something on topic at least. I haven't touched online battles yet, but are they friend code only or can they be with random people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom