• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just listened to the entire HG/SS ost and I still think you guys are crazy for saying that BW has the best OST in the series. The variety provided in HG/SS is simply unmatched. I'm not saying that BW has bad music but it pales in comparison to HG/SS's music in almost every possible way.

Edit: but opinions are like assholes and all that

Balb

DragonKnight said:
I just listened to the entire HG/SS ost and I still think you guys are crazy for saying that BW has the best OST in the series. The variety provided in HG/SS is simply unmatched. I'm not saying that BW has bad music but it pales in comparison to HG/SS's music in almost every possible way.

Edit: but opinions are like assholes and all that

I'd say R/S/E music tops HGSS by miles.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As with everything else with Sheer Force, I would never use a Druddigon without it. People overstate Druddigon's defenses. It's much worse than Dragonite, a bit less than Kingdras, and about even with Salamence, and far inferior to Garchomp. The best part of Druddigon is that since it has no speed stat, you're basically forced to put your EVs into HP.

But regardless, Sheer Force is an amazing ability. It allows Druddigon to abuse plenty of moves, and it lets the user take NO DAMAGE FROM LIFE ORB. Hence, you're receiving a free 1.3x boost to attacks for free. It actually has an amazing movepool.

If you're dead set on using Rough Skin, you should at least put Dragon Tail in. Dragon Tail, if you have some entry hazards will wear the opponent down. It also makes sure you're not setup on generally. Although if you're really concerned, you could use Taunt. The only other support move I'd use would be Glare. It's 90% accuracy now, and it can help compensate for his horrific speed. I guess Taunt works to force people to attack you with Rough Skin, and makes sure Sucker Punch is not an easy setup.

tl;dr - Use Sheer Force.

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
As with everything else with Sheer Force, I would never use a Druddigon without it. People overstate Druddigon's defenses. It's much worse than Dragonite, a bit less than Kingdras, and about even with Salamence, and far inferior to Garchomp. The best part of Druddigon is that since it has no speed stat, you're basically forced to put your EVs into HP.

But regardless, Sheer Force is an amazing ability. It allows Druddigon to abuse plenty of moves, and it lets the user take NO DAMAGE FROM LIFE ORB. Hence, you're receiving a free 1.3x boost to attacks for free.
Only when using moves that get a Sheer Force boost, mind you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
Only when using moves that get a Sheer Force boost, mind you.

True, which really makes you think about running Crunch over Sucker Punch for the higher power. He has quite the movepool to abuse with Sheer Force, but no STAB that takes advantage of it.

D-Pad

This is taking so damn LONG.

Code:
Hodgkins, IL, United States	03/21/2011	6:09 A.M.	Departure Scan
Hodgkins, IL, United States	03/18/2011	9:01 P.M.	Arrival Scan
Hodgkins, IL, United States	03/17/2011	9:00 P.M.	Late train.
Redmond, WA, United States	03/15/2011	2:16 A.M.	Departure Scan
Redmond, WA, United States	03/14/2011	8:12 P.M.	Origin Scan
United States	03/14/2011	9:31 P.M.	Order Processed: Ready for UPS

That's my DS charger shipping from Nintendo in fucking Redmond,WA, to me in Atlanta. I sent my charger back with my sister yesterday and have since run down my batteries. Fucking slow shipping threw off my groove. I'm itching to play again!

Or study for my exam. Whichever. (shrugs)

EvilMario said:

But regardless, Sheer Force is an amazing ability. It allows Druddigon to abuse plenty of moves, and it lets the user take NO DAMAGE FROM LIFE ORB. Hence, you're receiving a free 1.3x boost to attacks for free. It actually has an amazing movepool.

If you're dead set on using Rough Skin, you should at least put Dragon Tail in. Dragon Tail, if you have some entry hazards will wear the opponent down. It also makes sure you're not setup on generally. Although if you're really concerned, you could use Taunt. The only other support move I'd use would be Glare. It's 90% accuracy now, and it can help compensate for his horrific speed. I guess Taunt works to force people to attack you with Rough Skin, and makes sure Sucker Punch is not an easy setup.

tl;dr - Use Sheer Force.

I was contemplating whether to use him further or not, pretty interesting how you can use life orb additionally. Just have to get that life orb first!

Trying to level up all of my Pokemon before I enter Celestial Tower. Should I bother, or will Celestial Tower itself be enough to level up before Skyla? I know she's easy, but I'm just trying to get them all to a certain level anyways.

jman2050

Zee-V70 said:
Trying to level up all of my Pokemon before I enter Celestial Tower. Should I bother, or will Celestial Tower itself be enough to level up before Skyla? I know she's easy, but I'm just trying to get them all to a certain level anyways.

Steps to defeating Skyla

1) Do any of your pokemon know electric moves?
If no, use a TM if possible or catch whatever from Chargestone Cave.

There is no step 2.

btkadams

jman2050 said:
Steps to defeating Skyla

1) Do any of your pokemon know electric moves?
If no, use a TM if possible or catch whatever from Chargestone Cave.

There is no step 2.
yeah she was the easiest gym leader in the game IMO.

Busaiku

What's the likelihood of a Power item not passing down the IV it's supposed to?

I put a Power Belt on Cottonee with 26/27 Defense and a Power Anklet on a Cottonee with 31 Speed.
I never actually entered the stats in a calculator, but I checked with the judger in the Gear Station, and there was one time where a Cottonee didn't get 31 Speed, and my latest one has 31 Defense.

Wiseblade

Busaiku said:
What's the likelihood of a Power item not passing down the IV it's supposed to?

I put a Power Belt on Cottonee with 26/27 Defense and a Power Anklet on a Cottonee with 31 Speed.
I never actually entered the stats in a calculator, but I checked with the judger in the Gear Station, and there was one time where a Cottonee didn't get 31 Speed, and my latest one has 31 Defense.

It should be impossible.

Hmm, something's up with Ditto.

I have a suspicion that, when Transforming, Ditto does not copy the opponent's catch rate.

Pokemon used: Magikarp w/ Smoke Ball
Calculated catch rate: 99.6% with a normal Poké Ball at 1 HP, no status condition (like it matters at this percentage)
1. 10 battles fought (after a long time. Those things won't show up.)
2. Each battle, used Splash once, let it transform, then switch to Bisharp, who False Swipes it to 1 HP. Then, uses Thunder Wave once, for good measure.

On every single battle (except for one which was more luck than anything), Magikarp took 6-7 Poké Balls on average to capture. This is less consistent with the 99.6% catch rate of Magikarp, and more consistent with the 13.6% catch rate of a Pokémon with catch rate 35, which Ditto happens to be. There was even a battle when it broke out of a Critical Capture ball (which should never happen with Magikarp, really).

Of course, I wouldn't claim this as true for other people's games, until someone else can corroborate, because it's possible that this is just an extended bad luck streak on my part.

Red

Man, add one more to the stupid easily catchable legendaries. Just got Kyurem after three dusk balls, without even attacking him once.

And lol at its frank pokedex entry.

Wiseblade

ColtraineGF said:
Hmm, something's up with Ditto.

I have a suspicion that, when Transforming, Ditto does not copy the opponent's catch rate.

Pokemon used: Magikarp w/ Smoke Ball
Calculated catch rate: 99.6% with a normal Poké Ball at 1 HP, no status condition (like it matters at this percentage)
1. 10 battles fought (after a long time. Those things won't show up.)
2. Each battle, used Splash once, let it transform, then switch to Bisharp, who False Swipes it to 1 HP. Then, uses Thunder Wave once, for good measure.

On every single battle (except for one which was more luck than anything), Magikarp took 6-7 Poké Balls on average to capture. This is less consistent with the 99.6% catch rate of Magikarp, and more consistent with the 13.6% catch rate of a Pokémon with catch rate 35, which Ditto happens to be. There was even a battle when it broke out of a Critical Capture ball (which should never happen with Magikarp, really).

Of course, I wouldn't claim this as true for other people's games, until someone else can corroborate, because it's possible that this is just an extended bad luck streak on my part.

A Ralts-transformed Ditto did manage to break out of my dusk ball today, which simply shouldn't happen with 1HP and a catch rate of 235. You may be on to something.

Boogiepop

Hm, I think I might start doing random GTS trades in order to fill up my Unity Tower, because only having the US and Japan would bug me...
Also, two more trades to a second Master Ball!

Red

Mank said:
Hm, I think I might start doing random GTS trades in order to fill up my Unity Tower, because only having the US and Japan would bug me...
Also, two more trades to a second Master Ball!
Where is the Unity Tower located?

Does anyone have an extra Karrablast up for a trade? I asked a few hours ago and got no response.

I just need it to evolve a decent Shelmet so that I can level it up through victory road. It would be much appreciated.

Roto13

SolarPowered said:
Does anyone have an extra Karrablast up for a trade? I asked a few hours ago and got no response.

I just need it to evolve a decent Shelmet so that I can level it up through victory road. It would be much appreciated.
I'll evolve your Shelmet if you evolve my Scyther. :p

Zertez

Is there a place in White to fill out the National Dex with past generations? Im looking for trade for female Squirtle and Bulbasaur any level, or at least someone who can trade with me for a few minutes to fill out dex. I have all gen 5 starters, almost everything in White for trade outside of legendaries and various things like Charmander, Hippopotas, Torkoal and random other past generations.

Raxus

Normal Battle Subway is fucking annoying. I am chugging along and then BAM I face a trainer who one shots everyone I use.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Battle Subway is fricking awesome. Super Singles ftw.

Also Starmie's back sprite animation is god-tier.

jman2050

Raxus said:
Normal Battle Subway is fucking annoying. I am chugging along and then BAM I face a trainer who one shots everyone I use.

I don't care what anyone says I'm convinced the games' Battle Whatevers have been cheating their asses off since Crystal's tower and haven't stopped since.

You're Scizor wants to learn bullet punch. I figure it'd be fine to remove leer since it's pretty useless anyway.

Is that alright?

Edit: I'm just going to remove leer. It seems pretty pointless compared to bullet punch.

Edit#2: Thanks for the help with my Shelmet. I was hoping that I would get this out of the way tonight.

Roto13

SolarPowered said:
You're Scizor wants to learn bullet punch. I figure it'd be fine to remove leer since it's pretty useless anyway.

Is that alright?
Yeah, that's fine. I'm not going to really use it anyway, it's mostly just for my Pokedex. (Kind of wondering where I got a Scyther with four egg moves, though, since it's a level 1. :p)

Raxus

Andrex said:
Battle Subway is fricking awesome. Super Singles ftw.

Also Starmie's back sprite animation is god-tier.
I can't even get super since I can't finish the normal single. Doesn't help I don't have Hydreigon yet. Still, I don't know how to balance my team so I can defeat the trainers easily.

EvilMario said:

You're WAY overstating the defense stats of ALL of those pokemon...at most you've got Dragonite with a base sp.def of 100, while the others are all within +/- of Druddigon...

The only other support move I'd use would be Glare. It's 90% accuracy now, and it can help compensate for his horrific speed. I guess Taunt works to force people to attack you with Rough Skin, and makes sure Sucker Punch is not an easy setup.

Glare is a definite waste. It's super slow, why even waste a turn using glare? Might as well just attack, knowing you'll probably be slower. I could see taunt maybe being useful, but again, it still seems like a waste of a turn

Zoramon089 said:
You're WAY overstating the defense stats of ALL of those pokemon...at most you've got Dragonite with a base sp.def of 100, while the others are all within +/- of Druddigon...

Don't forget that 95 base defense and the DW ability MultiScale which reduces the damage from all attacks by 50% if Dragonite is at full health. Dangerous combination with Roost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom