• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

SolarPowered said:
Hey Roto 13 I think you've got my Escavalier. I've got yours somehow and I noticed you had one exactly at level 50.
Oops. Sorry. I've evolved a lot of these things for people. :p I'll find yours and hop back online.

The perils of trading from PC boxes. :p

DragonKnight said:
Don't forget that 95 base defense and the DW ability MultiScale which reduces the damage from all attacks by 50% if Dragonite is at full health. Dangerous combination with Roost.

I'll give you it with the DW ability, but it isn't even out yet unless you hack...and even then, I'm pretty sure it'd be banned from wifi until it was officially obtainable

Roto13 said:
Oops. Sorry. I've evolved a lot of these things for people. :p I'll find yours and hop back online.

The perils of trading from PC boxes. :p
It's no biggie. This kind of thing is bound to happen with new trading mechanics. I also should have kept my Escavalier in the PC box instead of the party to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the quick response.

Gravijah

Zoramon089 said:
I'll give you it with the DW ability, but it isn't even out yet unless you hack...and even then, I'm pretty sure it'd be banned from wifi until it was officially obtainable

It's not out on the Japanese side?

Boogiepop

Wiseblade said:
Yeah, once you find a good team you can really tear through the place.
I dunno, it's still rather annoying to me, even after importing in my competitive team. Trying to complete 49+ battles against teams of solidly built pokemon make it kind of tough not to run into one out of the many, many pokemon that'll trip you up at least once. Super singles... is frustrating :|

Zoramon089 said:

We need a definitive list of all the DW released pokes. Smogon hasn't updated it's list in months and I thought I saw Dragonite on another list

Edit: @Grav I'm pretty sure I saw that it was released on the Japanese side of things

Wiseblade

Raxus said:
Suggestions? I keep failing with Archeops (no item), Emboar (leftovers), and Zweilous (Dragon Fang).
Starmie @ Expert Belt
Modest nature (+S.Atk, -Atk)
EVs: 252 S.Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
-surf
-thunderbolt
-ice beam
-Psychic/Psychoshock

This should get you through the normal battle subway pretty much single-handedly.

Crunched said:
What type of attack is psyshock? It's listed as special, but the description says it does physical damage.

It deals physical damage based on your S.Atk stat.

EDIT: lol beaten

Anyway I'm 3BP away from my first Life Orb.

Delio

Cobalion - #638 (Timid)
HP: 24 - 25
Att: 10 - 13
Def: 8 - 9
SpA: 29
SpD: 6 - 7
Speed: 22 - 23

What you guys think? I'm going for the calm mind set. The defense Ivs are low but that is the highest special IV i've managed thus far.

Wiseblade

So far I've got:

All the power Items (6x16)
10 Proteins (10x1)
1 Flame Orb (1x16)
1 Life Orb (1x48)
1 Air Balloon (1x48)

That's 218 points, plus the 31 I have now makes 249(!) points earned on the Battle Subway. I might be lowballing this number since I'm pretty sure I bought the Power bracer twice (even though I only have one) and I may have got some Carbos as well.

Red

Wiseblade said:
So far I've got:

All the power Items (6x16)
10 Proteins (10x1)
1 Flame Orb (1x16)
1 Life Orb (1x48)
1 Air Balloon (1x48)

That's 218 points, plus the 31 I have now makes 249(!) points earned on the Battle Subway.
Cool stuff. I haven't spent too much time there. How do you think my current team would fare?

Hydreigon
Metagross
Haxorus
Krookodile
Tyranitar

Got an extra slot currently for an HM slave, not sure what I'd put in its place. Volcarona, maybe. I need a fire type. Any glaring flaws with this set up? I know ice is a big threat.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crunched said:
Cool stuff. I haven't spent too much time there. How do you think my current team would fare?

Hydreigon
Metagross
Haxorus
Krookodile
Tyranitar

Got an extra slot currently for an HM slave, not sure what I'd put in its place. Volcarona, maybe. I need a fire type. Any glaring flaws with this set up? I know ice is a big threat.

If it's not EV trained, don't bother.

Vitamins for 1 BP each don't seem worth it to me at the moment. I just buy some them after robbing the rich family every day. I'll probably end up using BP on them when I have everything else I want though.

Wiseblade

Crunched said:

Hydreigon
Metagross
Haxorus
Krookodile
Tyranitar

As a whole team you're looking a little weak to bug types attacks; Volcarona would hit Hydreigon, Krookodile and Tyranitar for SE with Bug Buzz and Metagross with Fire Blast.

EDIT: but yeah if theyre not EV trained they'll never make in the super trains. you might make it through the first 14 fights of the normal single though, but that's only 6 BP total :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Busaiku said:
What's the likelihood of a Power item not passing down the IV it's supposed to?

I put a Power Belt on Cottonee with 26/27 Defense and a Power Anklet on a Cottonee with 31 Speed.
I never actually entered the stats in a calculator, but I checked with the judger in the Gear Station, and there was one time where a Cottonee didn't get 31 Speed, and my latest one has 31 Defense.

If two parents wear different Power items, then a 50% chance of either IV being passed down. However doing so means that only one IV, and not the other IV will be passed down. According to Smogon.

Red

Wiseblade said:
As a whole team you're looking a little weak to bug types attacks; Volcarona would hit Hydreigon, Krookodile and Tyranitar for SE with Bug Buzz and Metagross with Fire Blast.
I'm looking for a replacement for Haxorus but I've got no ideas. Shedinja is a possibility -- may be my favorite Pokemon -- but it's got limited use. Besides that, don't know. I used an Elektross for much of the game, and while it's novel having a Pokemon with no weaknesses, it's generally not very good. I've considered Reuniclus, Gengar, Vanilluxe, and Stoutland... but am not really drawn toward any one.

Is EV training a must for the super trains? I'm not totally against it, but I don't have much time to put into it :/

Obsessed said:
They actually use things like Volcarona at the Battle Subway? I haven't seen anything particularly strong in the singles subway line. The strongest thing was probably a Garbodor used by the Frontier Brain equivalent.

Are we even talking about the Subway? He listed 6 Pokemon, but only three can be used.
I'm talking about the Subway, I'm just considering a 6-Pokemon team for general use and subs.

Wiseblade said:

They actually use things like Volcarona at the Battle Subway? I haven't seen anything particularly strong in the singles subway line. The strongest thing was probably a Garbodor used by the Frontier Brain equivalent.

Are we even talking about the Subway? He listed 6 Pokemon, but only three can be used.

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
If two parents wear different Power items, then a 50% chance of either IV being passed down. However doing so means that only one IV, and not the other IV will be passed down. According to Smogon.
This completely contradicts what I've been experiencing. I've used two different power items when breeding multiple times and got both 31 IVs passed to the child on the first egg.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just fought and won my first random match! Some hiker in Japan. Was pretty neat, this really should have been in D/P...

EvilMario said:

Whaaaaaaaat? Was it like that in HG/SS?

Crunched said:
Is EV training a must for the super trains? I'm not totally against it, but I don't have much time to put into it :/

For Super, yes, almost definitely. I ported over my SoulSilver Battle Frontier team and I wasn't able to even build up a 7-streak. (Due to lack of hold items on two of the Pokemon, it was really close though.)

Wiseblade

Obsessed said:

The super subways are exclusively fully evolved pokemon and they even take out "Junk" like Beautifly and Luvdisc.

But yeah I don't think I was clear that i was trying to cover any combinatiuon of the aforemention 5. You can only take 3 into the single subway and 4 into the double subway.

Boogiepop

God... DAMNIT. Gengar just took me down by haxing the HELL out of my entire team with Hypnosis. This kind of crap is why Battle Subway is BS.

Wiseblade said:
The super subways are exclusively fully evolved pokemon and they even take out "Junk" like Beautifly and Luvdisc.

But yeah I don't think I was clear that i was trying to cover any combinatiuon of the aforemention 5. You can only take 3 into the single subway and 4 into the double subway.

Oh. Now I see why EV training might be needed.

Also I've been using Tyranitar/Excadrill/Seismitoad. I've been finding Seismitoad to be pretty lacking, and I've been thinking of replacing him. Any suggestions? I'm also thinking of making my Tyranitar more specially based. If they use fully evolved Pokemon at Super I'm expecting there to be tons of Dragons that I can shoot down with Ice Beam.

Also <3 Excadrill. Nothing seems to outspeed him in the sand. Now I just need to get an Air Balloon, or Chople Berry.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
This completely contradicts what I've been experiencing. I've used two different power items when breeding multiple times and got both 31 IVs passed to the child on the first egg.

That would make more sense, and be far superior. Otherwise there's little point to using two power items (and not having an Everstone attached). Smogon's research, not mine.

Wiseblade

Crunched said:
I'm looking for a replacement for Haxorus but I've got no ideas. Shedinja is a possibility -- may be my favorite Pokemon -- but it's got limited use. Besides that, don't know. I used an Elektross for much of the game, and while it's novel having a Pokemon with no weaknesses, it's generally not very good. I've considered Reuniclus, Gengar, Vanilluxe, and Stoutland... but am not really drawn toward any one.

I'm talking about the Subway, I'm just considering a 6-Pokemon team for general use and subs.
I'm not sure you understand me. If you went on the battle subway with any three of those five, the computer would send nothing but volcarona your way who would kill your entire team with ease. Replacing Haxorus with Shedinja would just make things worse. You need to replace some of your dark types - probably Tyranitar and Krookodile since you've already got tons of physical power in Metagross and Haxorus. Consider using Starmie, He's a solid staple on Battle Tower/Subway and competitive teams.

Busaiku

Is there any way to get a Tornadus's nature to be what I want?
Because running into it with Synchronize does nothing.

Or do I just have to keep beating Alder over and over and pray that I can get the proper nature?

Regulus Tera said:
Village Bridge <3

Is he singing in Japanese?
Yep, it's great.
I think it sounds Japanese too (I mostly hear "Pokemon" every now and then), but it's hard to tell.

Wiseblade

Busaiku said:
Is there any way to get a Tornadus's nature to be what I want?
Because running into it with Synchronize does nothing.

Or do I just have to keep beating Alder over and over and pray that I can get the proper nature?
This is the impression I've been getting too. Sorry Andrex, But I don't think it's possible for me to get you a Jolly Tornadus. There's literally only a 4% chance every time I reset.

Red

Wiseblade said:
I'm not sure you understand me. If you went on the battle subway with any three of those five, the computer would send nothing but volcarona your way who would kill your entire team with ease. Replacing Haxorus with Shedinja would just make things worse. You need to replace some of your dark types - probably Tyranitar and Krookodile since you've already got tons of physical power in Metagross and Haxorus. Consider using Starmie, He's a solid staple on Battle Tower/Subway and competitive teams.
Wait, the game will actually try to exploit my weaknesses? That is... pretty cool. Gives me more to think about.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
This is the impression I've been getting too. Sorry Andrex, But I don't think it's possible for me to get you a Jolly Tornadus. There's literally only a 4% chance every time I reset.

Bah. Maybe I'll buy Black sooner than I expected then.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wiseblade said:

Wait, really? That's awesome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The game will not summon Pokemon because of a weakness on your team. Battle Tower/Subway plays a lot of dirty tricks, but the Pokemon are chosen at random depending on what stage of the subway you're on.

It is good to cover your weaknesses though. Go through a list of Pokemon (at least every type), and try to figure out what you'll do in every circumstance. ie; if Mamoswine is out against your Haxorus, what will you switch to? There's a lot more to it in Battle Tower though if you want to be really successful, but a lot of that involves raising Pokemon that you wouldn't use competitively otherwise. :p

Busaiku

Andrex said:
Bah. Maybe I'll buy Black sooner than I expected then.
Apparently the best way to get a good nature is to save in the house right when the old lady first calls you for soup, and track it from there.
Such a shame I didn't know of this before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom