• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Pad

Izayoi said:
Who would've thought that getting the GBA tracks would have been the hardest? I really am stuck here because the GBA had such a piece of shit sound engine that it's impossible to emulate properly so it comes out a muted mess and all of the official OSTs are missing stuff like the Deoxys battle, which means my only remaining option is to shoot myself in the face.

I'll sleep on it and see if I can think of anything, but seriously why is this turning into such a goddamn nightmare.

Doesn't the GBA use the same (or modified) version of the PSX sound engine? GSF > mini-GSF or something? In either case I have always loved the low-quality soundfont that most of the games used, I guess the same way some like 16-bit pixel graphics more than 3D. I've even gone so far as to try to reproduce that sound by making my own instrument samples. It's a great time waster, and it makes every midi sound better. :p

Also, Audacity is great. The easiest way to loop is to find an easy to distinguish point in the wave shape that you can match with a similar point somewhere in another part of the song. Chop off everything after the loop-end point first, and then select everything from there until the loop-start to the left. Select Effects -> Repeat. Enter "1" and then hit Apply. You can see a black line where the loop starts. Place the cursor a little before that and play.

Very likely that the loop will be off, so you'll have to hit undo. It'll undo the loop and your selection will conveniently reappear! Adjust the beginning part of the selection and repeat the Effect -> Repeat until your song loops cleanly. Once you find a clean loop, click undo (yes) and go to Tracks -> Add Label at Selection and type in "Loop" or something. This will ensure you don't lose your loop point if you decide to edit further.

Effect -> Repeat, enter the number of times you want it to repeat.
Effect -> Fadeout the end
Export
???
Profit

All that typing and you already figured it out. On top of that it's not even what you were having trouble with. 3 hours of sleep. Let's just blame it on that...

Thank you for the high-res pic, btw.

Roto13

Good morning, PokeGAF. So is there a site like this that has things besides event Pokemon? I'm curious.

Izayoi said:
Okay, so that's only like half of all the Generation III fanart ever. Anything else to narrow it down a little further? I've got an assload of art (literally, like gigs and gigs of it)
Literally enough art to completely fill your ass?
OMG Aero said:
Looks like we are going to have to wait even longer for Dream World.

http://www.pokemon-gl.com/pre/en.html
Clearly the biggest tragedy associated with the earthquake. :(

Would anyone be willing to do a quick trade/tradeback with Tornadus? I just caught Thundurus and I've got tons of GTS fodder, so I just need to get him in my dex.

Please help. :O

FC is

4598 9017 5724

D-Pad said:
Doesn't the GBA use the same (or modified) version of the PSX sound engine? GSF > mini-GSF or something?
This might not be totally correct (I'm no expert).

I thought the playstation had an actual sound processor while the GBA had to use the CPU to make sound (like the N64 before it). As for the file formats that not really the reason. Basically what those formats are (I recall hearing something like in 2004 when they were being derived) is just the ROM stripped down to only the sound related parts. The mini verison is favoured because each sequenced track is only a few hundred bytes as the main soundbank contains all the instruments (since tracks share some instrument it makes sense). The playback tool is essenitally a sound emulator which is why its a bit slower than playing an MP3.

The sound engine would essentially be code for your game which Nintendo supplied (don't know if anyone tried custom drivers on GBA), I know Nintendo supplied command-lines tools for converting midi files and downsampling instruments with their dev kit (IIRC without instruments it sounds just like Game Boy but with more channels)

DS does similar but with a better processor means you get people using more channels plus bigger cart space means you can do streamed music too. I seem to remember there a few sound drivers used which are named off the games they are reversed engineered from. Yoshi's Island DS and Ys I & II. Occasionally custom drivers are used too.

The other sound emulation trick is something like RAM dumps of the sound processor which is what the favoured SNES and (IIRC) Sega Megadrive and Saturn formats are (the latter are not all that great though, but better than nothing).

Izayoi said:
Is there an easy way to convert them to .wav files? I've been searching and I can't find anything other than playing it back in Winamp and then capturing my sound card output, which is kind of a pain in the ass
There might be a winamp plugin on the output side for making .WAV files (maybe it even comes with one, I'll have a look when I get home). I know I have one for making MP3 files. When I tried it, it ends up playing the track muted as fast the computer can handle it so you can get a whole soundtrack done in minutes. Then you just switch the winamp output plugin being used and listen the results...(or put them on your iPod or whatever).

btkadams

so dreamworld is getting delayed? i wonder for how long. i'm fine with it though since i really shouldn't play much of this game over the next few weeks (exams).

Will someone explain this Dream World to me? I noticed Dragonite has a sweet new ability that i like much better than his flinch resist. When i beat this game and transfer my Pokemon over at the PalPark, will i be able to give my Dragonite the new ability? Or do i have to catch a new one in the Dream World? What Pokemon are in the Dream World?

Wichu

Castor Krieg said:
Do I lose all online functions if I order a US version to Europe? Since this will be region-locked on 3DS I need to pick this one with that in mind, and I will probably get a US 3DS in the future (hi, Atlus RPGs!).
The PAL/US versions of Pokémon B/W are not region locked (the only DSi-enhanced games that aren't). You'll be able to play any region B/W (other than Japanese) on any region 3DS.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
J Tourettes said:
Quite a Pokemon noob but here's my team so far, have done all eight gyms and am just about to take on the league.

Serperior lvl 45

Gigalith lvl 45

Darmanitan lvl 43

Archeops lvl 45

Simipour lvl 39

Not sure about my sixth spot, currently levelling up an Emolga

Am I likely to run into t6rouble with that team? It seems to have served me well so far. Any suggestions for the sixth spot?

Thanks.
Gigalith and archeops are awesome, but kind of redundant.... remove one of them, fill in your 5th and 6th slots with cofagrigus and Excadrill... I have about 5 or 6 other ideas, but those seem like good ones.

Replace Simipour with... something, lol..

I find it's really easy to end up with teams that are pretty weak to fighting, water, and fire types this gen.

D-Pad

Gillian Seed said:
Will someone explain this Dream World to me? I noticed Dragonite has a sweet new ability that i like much better than his flinch resist. When i beat this game and transfer my Pokemon over at the PalPark, will i be able to give my Dragonite the new ability? Or do i have to catch a new one in the Dream World? What Pokemon are in the Dream World?

The Pokemon with the new abilities are those caught within Dream World. Dream world is also where you'll be growing berries, you can play mini games, and more.

Bulbapedia

btkadams

D-Pad said:
The Pokemon with the new abilities are those caught within Dream World. Dream world is also where you'll be growing berries, you can play mini games, and more.

Bulbapedia
yeah i was wondering where the fuck we were supposed to be growing berries haha. mini games? is it as fleshed out as pokeathlon?

EDIT: just read your link. sounds totally weird haha.

Raxus

vall03 said:
any tips for cash? Im kinda short right now and I still havent even purchased TMs yet...
Look for specialty vendors. People that pay twice the price for items such as nugget and big mushrooms.

The abyssal ruins puts an end to all your cash worries but that is post game.

Red

vall03 said:
any tips for cash? Im kinda short right now and I still havent even purchased TMs yet...
Amulet coin, sell mushrooms, sell ores, only buy moomoo milk as a recovery drink.

D-Pad

btkadams said:
yeah i was wondering where the fuck we were supposed to be growing berries haha. mini games? is it as fleshed out as pokeathlon?

EDIT: just read your link. sounds totally weird haha.

I just wanted to duplicate my leppa berry. I didn't care about anything else. :(

vall03

Raxus said:
Look for specialty vendors. People that pay twice the price for items such as nugget and big mushrooms.

The abyssal ruins puts and end to all your cash worries but that is post game.
already sold off stuff to those people but still short, wheres this Abyssal ruins you're talking about? Im already post game but Im spending a lot of my time catching and evolving Pokemons

vall03 said:

I personally like doing E4 runs with a few lv 1 new eggs with lucky egg and exp shares on. Easy way to level and gain some $$ in the process.

GaimeGuy said:
Gigalith and archeops are awesome, but kind of redundant.... remove one of them, fill in your 5th and 6th slots with cofagrigus and Excadrill... I have about 5 or 6 other ideas, but those seem like good ones.

Replace Simipour with... something, lol..

I find it's really easy to end up with teams that are pretty weak to fighting, water, and fire types this gen.

Thanks, I'll give that a try later. Not sure who to get rid of out of Archeops and Gigalith, grown quite attached to both :lol

Raxus

vall03 said:
already sold off stuff to those people but still short, wheres this Abyssal ruins you're talking about? Im already post game but Im spending a lot of my time catching and evolving Pokemons
Outside Undella Town. You need Pokemon with surf, dive, flash and strength.

vall03

Crunched said:
I spent a few hours there yesterday about made over 2 million pokebucks, just fyi.
wow!

Roto13 said:
What on earth are you spending your money on? :p
Pokeballs and Items, I dont know but Im spending a lot on them lately, especially the sudden bump on enemy levels which cost me a lot. I did buy a couple of TMs though but still havent touched the others yet which are expensive

Kurtofan

Wichu said:
The PAL/US versions of Pokémon B/W are not region locked (the only DSi-enhanced games that aren't). You'll be able to play any region B/W (other than Japanese) on any region 3DS.
Will this be the norm?

I just beat the last of the elite four and I stepped into the castle to find that
All of the gym leaders of the Unova region got my back!

This is so motherfucking epic goddamn!

Jinko

Roto13 said:
That all sounds like more effort than I'd be willing to put into it. :p I was just curious.

Just tried a program called IR-GTS-BW, requires python 2.6 installed but managered to transfer an oshawott from my DS to my PC :)

oshawotttransfertopc.jpg

This is quite handy for people who don't have 2 DS's to transfer using poke transfer.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SolarPowered said:
I just beat the last of the elite four and I stepped into the castle to find that
All of the gym leaders of the Unova region got my back!

This is so motherfucking epic goddamn!
wait till you hear the music against you know who :)

After countless hours of breeding the perfect Volcarona, I got a Timid Larvesta with HP/29, SpA/31, SpD/30, Spd/31.
The only problem I have is that its not modest.

Merovin

mazeedibeedi said:
After countless hours of breeding the perfect Volcarona, I got a Timid Larvesta with HP/29, SpA/31, SpD/30, Spd/31.

Then pain never ends!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
With the Global Link delayed I wonder if Firestorm should postpone the tourney... None of my team was reliant on Dream World abilities but if they were I'd be screwed.

Also I can't say one way or another since it's impossible for me to know, but I think they might be using the earthquake as an excuse. It's in their best interest to release it as late as possible when as few people are still playing as possible. If that's not the reason, then it's at least a bonus for them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
mazeedibeedi said:

Timid is a fine nature, and might even be preferred. It'll let you speed tie Scarf base 100 Pokemon. If you don't want it, trade it to me when you're finished. I'll give you a Dark Pulse Deino (Modest, male for passing Dark Pulse down if you want, 31 IV in SpAtk at least)

D-Pad

Yesss! DS charger arrived! Just in time for class. :p

It's nice to have a decent length cord again. I'll just plug it in so I can finally start playing again once I get home.

Next thing on my to-do list: Fix the broken hinge. :\ Gotta figure out the best way to do it so I can keep my d-pad working as beautifully as it does now. I wish it were just the top part that cracked, then it wouldn't be an issue. Anyone know the best way to go about this?

JVIDICAN

yeb said:
I've only seen one shiny ever, and I wasn't able to catch it. :(

Best IV calculator:
http://metalkid.info.microsoft2008hosting.com/Pokemon/Calculators/IVs.aspx

Best way to use it:
Head to Nimbasa City, and into the building just left of the pokecenter. The battles there will automatically level your pokemon to level 50, so you can check the stats in battle and get pretty accurate IVs.
Cool I'll check it out. :)
I'll probably end up trading it if I'm able to get a better one stat wise. Would you want it if I did? :eek:

D-Pad

Andrex said:
With the Global Link delayed I wonder if Firestorm should postpone the tourney... None of my team was reliant on Dream World abilities but if they were I'd be screwed.

Also I can't say one way or another since it's impossible for me to know, but I think they might be using the earthquake as an excuse. It's in their best interest to release it as late as possible when as few people are still playing as possible. If that's not the reason, then it's at least a bonus for them.

I'm not saying the earthquake had nothing to do with it, but, I agree. The servers still seem to be getting hammered, so it might have been delayed whether the disaster struck or not.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
Timid is a fine nature, and might even be preferred. It'll let you speed tie Scarf base 100 Pokemon. If you don't want it, trade it to me when you're finished. I'll give you a Dark Pulse Deino (Modest, male for passing Dark Pulse down if you want, 31 IV in SpAtk at least)

Sounds like a Deino I'd want. :(

EvilMario said:
Hmm...... tempting. You know what I'll keep the larvesta and if you want I could breed the SpA and Spd iv's onto a fresh larvesta. It shouldn't take long as I have the power items and a box full of 31 Spd IV Larvestas :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom