• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

upandaway

Alright, EV training aside, got my Subway team done. I might reroll a better Ferrothorn if I'm bored, but I mostly got 'em all hatched with proper moves.

Timid Starmie @ Lifeorb (Switch)
252 SP.ATK/216 SPE/42 HP
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Surf
Ice Beam

Timid Volcarona @ ?? (Tigerlily)
252 SP.ATK/216 SPE/42 HP
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
For the last two I'm thinking between Fire Blast/Fiery Dance/Overheat/U-turn

Relaxed Ferrothorn @ Leftovers (??)
252 HP/212 SP.DEF/42 DEF/4 ATK
Curse
Leech Seed
Ingrain
Gyro "mother fucking 150" Ball

I wanted to do a full 5th gen one but y'know, y'know, y'know! I never had this Starmie. I always wanted to use him. It just looks so convenient and fun.

Still undecided on Volcarona's item though. I'm thinking maybe Focus Sash in case of a surprise rock move.

clemenx

Banned
I'm guessing this is a general Pokemon thread as I didn't see another one, I sadly still don't have B&W versions, so I'm posting this here.
Thanks to a friend I picked up my Diamond version I hadn't played in about a year and I'm hooked up since I'm pretty close to finishing the pokedex, lol. So I guess I'm asking for trade partners in Pokemon Diamond and PEarl, if people still play that, also battling but I'm very rusty haha I have some good pokemon, though. I'm missing mostly a good chunk of the 3rd Generation Pokemon and assorted Legendaries from all the versions (The only trio I have are the Regis) So, contact me if you want to trade! :)

Teknoman

Gotta figure out a good Bouffalant and Druddigon move set. I know i'm keeping head charge on Bouff, and i'm thinking about adding wild charge as well since it's reckless.

Also if a fire pokemon is holding flame orb, does burn still damage it as much as any other pokemon?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
upandaway said:
Alright, EV training aside, got my Subway team done. I might reroll a better Ferrothorn if I'm bored, but I mostly got 'em all hatched with proper moves.

Timid Starmie @ Lifeorb (Switch)
252 SP.ATK/216 SPE/42 HP
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Surf
Ice Beam

Timid Volcarona @ ?? (Tigerlily)
252 SP.ATK/216 SPE/42 HP
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
For the last two I'm thinking between Fire Blast/Fiery Dance/Overheat/U-turn

Relaxed Ferrothorn @ Leftovers (??)
252 HP/212 SP.DEF/42 DEF/4 ATK
Curse
Leech Seed
Ingrain
Gyro "mother fucking 150" Ball

I wanted to do a full 5th gen one but y'know, y'know, y'know! I never had this Starmie. I always wanted to use him. It just looks so convenient and fun.

Still undecided on Volcarona's item though. I'm thinking maybe Focus Sash in case of a surprise rock move.

Not commenting on the team as a whole, but for Volcarona, use Fiery Dance. In Battle Tower/Subway you can't afford low accuracy moves in most cases, and even in competitive play Fiery Dance has proven its worth. You can check your Hidden Power, to see if you picked up something decent like HP Ground, other Substitute is not a terrible last move. It lets you setup on a bunch with your SpDef increasing with Quiver Dance, and lets you avoid Criticals, surprise Rock-type moves, etc.

Consider Lum Berry for your item. Lum Berry will let you switch into Toxic, Toxic Spikes and sleep moves without issue. It can come in handy in many instances. ie; switch into Pokemon X using Toxic (trying to stall you). Lum Berry cures the Toxic, and you setup Substitute the next turn as Pokemon X uses Toxic once more and fails.

Just my two cents. Battle Tower is all about cutting down on luck. Substitute usually helps with that.

Teknoman said:
Gotta figure out a good Bouffalant and Druddigon move set. I know i'm keeping head charge on Bouff, and i'm thinking about adding wild charge as well since it's reckless.

Also if a fire pokemon is holding flame orb, does burn still damage it as much as any other pokemon?

A Fire Pokemon can never be burned. ie; Guts Flareon can't utilize Flame Orb.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh, figures this thread would have been moved to the ghetto by now. Anyway, I just picked this game up. Fashionably late to this party. I've been playing pretty much nothing but MvC3 since its release. @_@ I am in the mood for a singleplayer grind now.

Firestorm: If I'm not ready for VGC by the time the LCQ rolls around this year, I expect you to have a team for me to borrow/dupe. I have no intention on missing out on the actual event whether I'm prepared for it or not.

How many event Pokemon have I already missed? >_>

Ketch

So my sandile just evolved for the second time to a Krookodile and it's pink. Is that normal color? or did I get something unique?

I'm pretty new to the Poke battles, but my friend just got white version and we'll be battling soon. Anything sweet tips I can use to completely demoralize my friend?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teknoman said:
Aw man :p Well what would be the best way to use Flareon with guts? Toxic orb?

If you really want to activate it, then yes. Consider Leftovers as well though. It gives you a lot more survivability when he do switch into Toxic / Toxic Spikes. Flareon doesn't care about paralysis either and can't be burned, so it is good at taking status (outside of Sleep, as Sleep Talk is a 4th Gen only move).

Toxic Orb is not a terrible option though. Facade becomes your most powerful move by far, and you can guarantee the boost.

Personally, if I was ever going to use Flareon for fun I think I would use Toxic Orb with Facade, Flame Charge, Fire Blast (or Overheat), Bite / Dig / Fillermove.

Facade is by far your most powerful move, but you can lead with Flame Charge for what will probably be a small amount of damage on the switch, but it gives you the speed boost while activating the Orb. Facade knocks a lot of frail sweepers out that won't resist it, and Fire Blast is still more powerful than Fire Fang.. and especially against things like Hippo. Last move is a toss up. You don't have time for another setup move like Work Up, so don't try it. Dig / Rock Smash will dent something like Tyranitar and Heatran who resist the rest of the set. Bite hits Jelli.

Flareon in the 5th Generation is trolled by receiving Guts, but not having Superpower any longer.. or any of the cool new moves like the physical Electric TM. Or good physical STAB..

EasyTGT said:
So my sandile just evolved for the second time to a Krookodile and it's pink. Is that normal color? or did I get something unique?

I'm pretty new to the Poke battles, but my friend just got white version and we'll be battling soon. Anything sweet tips I can use to completely demoralize my friend?

Krookodile's final form changes colour quite a bit to a shade of red. It's to be expected. If you did have a shiny, it's determined at birth, not during evolutions.

As for demoralizing your friend, where to begin? :p

Sixfortyfive said:
How many event Pokemon have I already missed? >_>
Just Victini.

Also, if you didn't get the shiny beast trio earlier on, you miss Zoroark. Same for Celebi and Zorua. Of course, if you need one, I'm sure someone can give you the goods ._.

Ketch

EvilMario said:
As for demoralizing your friend, where to begin? :p

Well I was thinking of using Krookodile with swagger and foul play, and ferroseed with curse and payback.... I don't know what to use for my other pokemon.. you only get 3 when playing against other people right? Maybe I should lead with my emboar starter so he thinks everything is normal then switch to some crazy legendary pokemon and crush his soul?

Ondore

Taking ideas from TVTropes is usually a bad idea, but I found this one and it sounds so crazy it might just be crazy.

For Doubles Battle Subway:
Sneasel
Timid
Inner Focus
@ Choice Scarf
- Beat Up

Terrakion
Jolly
@ Expert Belt/Life Orb
- Rock Slide
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Basically, Sneasel uses Beat Up first on Terrakion for a free +4, then Terrakion starts Rock Sliding stuff to death or hopefully flinching. If by some fluke Sneasel survives, it can put Terrakion at +6 before the inevitable death. Back it up with a couple of Levitate Pokemon to let EQ do its thing.

Teknoman

EasyTGT said:
Well I was thinking of using Krookodile with swagger and foul play, and ferroseed with curse and payback.... I don't know what to use for my other pokemon.. you only get 3 when playing against other people right? Maybe I should lead with my emboar starter so he thinks everything is normal then switch to some crazy legendary pokemon and crush his soul?

Playing local or online?

ColtraineGF said:
Just Victini.

Also, if you didn't get the shiny beast trio earlier on, you miss Zoroark. Same for Celebi and Zorua. Of course, if you need one, I'm sure someone can give you the goods ._.
Wait, what?
14tskxw.jpg

Damn events. I knew about Victini but not the others.

JVIDICAN

Ondore said:
Taking ideas from TVTropes is usually a bad idea, but I found this one and it sounds so crazy it might just be crazy.

Sneasel
Timid
Inner Focus
@ Choice Scarf
- Beat Up

Terrakion
Jolly
@ Expert Belt/Life Orb
- Rock Slide
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Basically, Sneasel uses Beat Up first on Terrakion for a free +4, then Terrakion starts Rock Sliding stuff to death or hopefully flinching. If by some fluke Sneasel survives, it can put Terrakion at +6 before the inevitable death. Back it up with a couple of Levitate Pokemon to let EQ do its thing.
As long as you limit this to battle subway it should do fine. Online though this combo was way overused, and is basically useless now. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ondore said:

Sneasel
Timid
Inner Focus
@ Choice Scarf
- Beat Up

Terrakion
Jolly
@ Expert Belt/Life Orb
- Rock Slide
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Whimsicott works better than Sneasel. With its speed, Helping Hand, and Prankster for its Taunt / Encore, or other assist moves. It also doesn't die to a strong breeze.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Busaiku said:
I don't think you can get Whimsicott with Beat Up and Encore, but I'm not sure on that.

I guess not, but it was just an example of all the support moves it can use. Charm, Stun Spore, Flash, Light Screen, Tail Wind, Leech Seed. I see no reason to use Sneasel, or Weavile. You're just inviting shared weaknesses with Terrakion in fact.

Fewr

upandaway said:
Thanks. I could really only offer White exclusives though.
Send me a PM when you can
I've gotten a couple from GTS trading. I'll pm you tomorrow evening/night to see if we can trade. I'm not looking for anything in particular, but if you have any pokemon from Gen3, or a lillipup with pickup ability it'll be welcome.

zoukka

I finally ordered the official Nintendo DS wi-fi connector. Fuck you Nintendo I tried getting the wlan to work with 3 different routers before caving in.

Well once that sucker ships, I would be really happy for an Oshawott and a Snivy. That would complete my Unovadex (if you don't count Victini :<)

EDIT: My avatar.... it is.... glorious?

Schmitty

zoukka said:
I finally ordered the official Nintendo DS wi-fi connector. Fuck you Nintendo I tried getting the wlan to work with 3 different routers before caving in.

Well once that sucker ships, I would be really happy for an Oshawott and a Snivy. That would complete my Unovadex (if you don't count Victini :<)

EDIT: My avatar.... it is.... glorious?
What do you have to offer? I pretty much have a complete Unova dex, but good natured pokemon are welcome along with previous gens

zoukka

Schmitty said:
What do you have to offer? I pretty much have a complete Unova dex, but good natured pokemon are welcome along with previous gens

Nothing special ATM. But I do have access to Soul Silver, so tell me if you need a pokemon from there and I'll see if I can get it (non-legendary preferrably :b).

Also I can trade the pokemans back to anyone. I just want them added to my dex, not own them all really.

leroidys

I've been trying to breed a shiny squirtle the past couple days so I have like... 30 squirtles. If anyone wants one send me a PM. I'm looking for

chikorita
turtwig
piplup
treecko
torkip
mudkip

but really you can just give me anything. I can also breed totodile and any of the gen 1 starters for you if you need.

Edit: I only have gen IV. Sorry!

Rapstah

leroidys said:
I've been trying to breed a shiny squirtle the past couple days so I have like... 30 squirtles. If anyone wants one send me a PM. I'm looking for

chikorita
turtwig
piplup
treecko
torkip
mudkip

but really you can just give me anything. I can also breed totodile and any of the gen 1 starters for you if you need.
I have none of those you want but I would really like a Squirtle... I have a couple of Gen I ones from Dream World though if you're interested in trading one of those for it. Just off the top of my head:
  • Ponyta
  • Exeggcute
  • Tangela
This is obviously only if you're truly bathing in them. I'm not asking for any breeding to be done for random DW free stuff.

EDIT: And obviously I miss that part where you said you wanted PMs, disregard this post I guess.

Ravidrath

ninj4junpei said:
This is going to sound dumb, but did you check your Dream Pal Map in the Dream World and see if his island is connected to yours?

Oh, make sure your profile is set for everyone to see.

Yup, checked. Not only does his island not show up, it's not on the Dream Pal list you can access from that view, either.

OMG Aero

The friends you have added/traded with in-game and Dream pals are separate lists and I'm pretty sure the only way of adding someone as a Dream pal is by going to their island in the Dream World, so you'd have to be really lucky and have your friend show up as the random island that appears each time you check the map or someone else who is already friends with them.
There are a lot of really stupid things about Dream World.

Ravidrath said:
Yup, checked. Not only does his island not show up, it's not on the Dream Pal list you can access from that view, either.
:\ Does he have his profile set for everyone to see? Does he have any dream pals? I don't have any dream pals myself, so I haven't actually gone through the process.

As an experiment, let's try to become dream pals. My friend code is: 5458-0000-0047. Make sure your PGL preferences are set to everyone for both options. I won't be able to access the Dream World for another 8 hours.
34oer9t.jpg

Ravidrath

ninj4junpei said:
:\ Does he have his profile set for everyone to see? Does he have any dream pals? I don't have any dream pals myself, so I haven't actually gone through the process.

As an experiment, let's try to become dream pals. My friend code is: 5458-0000-0047. Make sure you PGL preferences are set to everyone for both options. I won't be able to access the Dream World for another 8 hours.

I just finished my session, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

I already sent you a PM about something else, so check that and we'll coordinate this Dream Pal business then.

Also, I made it to the sky world... is there no way to visit the forest again?

Ravidrath said:
I just finished my session, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

I already sent you a PM about something else, so check that and we'll coordinate this Dream Pal business then.

Also, I made it to the sky world... is there no way to visit the forest again?
I saw and responded to your PM. I wasn't aware that you couldn't visit the forest after upgrading. Is there something you want from the forest? I'll be stuck there for a few more sessions.

OMG Aero

After unlocking different Dream World areas it's completely random which one you go to when you visit the island, so if you want to go to a specific space just keep leaving and going back to the island until you go there.

Who's a better ground type to have on a team?

Krokorok(eventually Krookadile) or Excadrill?

It really is a combination of Krokorok and Meinfoo or Excadrill and Scrafty. I don't want to have two dark types but Scrafty has been a boss for me but I need a solid ground type after Golett proved to be made of paper machete. I'm leaning towards Excadrill but I'm not really sure. I might just bite the bullet and carry two dark types and hope it doesn't kill me.

Ondore

Excadrill is stronger out of the box, and you still have the predominant weakness of a Ground/Dark, but Krookodile can either play defense with Intimidate or wreck stuff with Moxie.

I'd go with Excadrill just because Steel is a boss type defensively and he's pretty strong, but Krookodile is cooler.

Ravidrath

ninj4junpei said:
Is there something you want from the forest? I'll be stuck there for a few more sessions.

Not particularly, but I know there are new Pokemon that unlock in the old areas as you get more points, so I was wondering how you actually went back to them.

I really hope the Dream World gets a major overhaul for Infinite Nothingness, because it's a great idea and so poorly executed: the interface is a mess, there aren't enough minigames and they kind of suck anyway, and the 24/1 hour timers are too restrictive.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Knux-Future said:
Who's a better ground type to have on a team?

Krokorok(eventually Krookadile) or Excadrill?

It really is a combination of Krokorok and Meinfoo or Excadrill and Scrafty. I don't want to have two dark types but Scrafty has been a boss for me but I need a solid ground type after Golett proved to be made of paper machete. I'm leaning towards Excadrill but I'm not really sure. I might just bite the bullet and carry two dark types and hope it doesn't kill me.

You're probably not going to have Sandstorm going very often, if this is in-game, so Excadrill's major advantage is taken away. Krook in my opinion in game would benefit most from having Moxie, allowing him to sweep. They both have similar bulk, and Krook is slightly faster without Sandstorm helping Excadrill.

Keep in mind, which ever one you pick with Scrafty, you'll have a dual Fighting weakness.

Ravidrath said:
Not particularly, but I know there are new Pokemon that unlock in the old areas as you get more points, so I was wondering how you actually went back to them.

I really hope the Dream World gets a major overhaul for Infinite Nothingness, because it's a great idea and so poorly executed: the interface is a mess, there aren't enough minigames and they kind of suck anyway, and the 24/1 hour timers are too restrictive.
Indeed. In the tutorial they make it clear that this isn't the final version. However, it seems stable enough for the time being. Perhaps they are diverting resources right now to the TCG Online. It definitely needs it.

Ravidrath

ninj4junpei said:
Indeed. In the tutorial they make it clear that this isn't the final version. However, it seems stable enough for the time being. Perhaps they are diverting resources right now to the TCG Online. It definitely needs it.

TCG Online is contracted out to another studio, actually - I'm friends with a designer there.

Delio

So how do you guys feel about pokesav? I notice almost ALL the youtube battlers use it so i wonder what you guys think of it.

Delio said:
So how do you guys feel about pokesav? I notice almost ALL the youtube battlers use it so i wonder what you guys think of it.
Never use it. Training's easy enough to do in this generation, anyway. Plus, at level 50, a 31 matters a bit less than it does at lv. 100.

Fewr

My goal for this generation is to complete the pokedex, or get as close as possible to doing so. Of all the GBA and DS games, I'm only missing Ruby and Platinum. So, which pokemon would I have to get by trading to complete the pokedex?

Top Bottom