• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Ravidrath said:
TCG Online is contracted out to another studio, actually - I'm friends with a designer there.
Interesting.

Anyway, what's your friend code? (I'll ask here as well.) I didn't go to the Dream World yesterday, so I can log on whenever today.

Schmitty

zoukka said:
Nothing special ATM. But I do have access to Soul Silver, so tell me if you need a pokemon from there and I'll see if I can get it (non-legendary preferrably :b).

Also I can trade the pokemans back to anyone. I just want them added to my dex, not own them all really.
I'd like a Scyther if you can get your hands on one

Ondore

Fewr said:
My goal for this generation is to complete the pokedex, or get as close as possible to doing so. Of all the GBA and DS games, I'm only missing Ruby and Platinum. So, which pokemon would I have to get by trading to complete the pokedex?

The only Pokemon I can think of that would require Ruby would be Zangoose, but he's commonly available in both Black and White so you'll be able to catch 'em all.

upandaway said:
OH MY GOD I HAVE POKERUS NOW!!!! (thanks a lot man)

OH MY GOD!!!!

No one will ever be able to beat me now
Don't forget to infect someone and place them in the PC, so as to keep it forever.

Ravidrath

Any tips for a Physical Elektross?

It seems like Special is the way to go, since Wild Bolt is the only decent Physical Electric attack it learns? And the difference in Atk. and Sp. Atk. aren't that big?

Xavien

Ondore said:
The only Pokemon I can think of that would require Ruby would be Zangoose, but he's commonly available in both Black and White so you'll be able to catch 'em all.

Theres also the Golem Legendaries (you can get them in platinum/diamond/pearl, but you need a event fateful regigigas), Kyogre, Groundon and Rayquazasa can be gotten in HG/SS along with the vast majority of pokemon pre-BW. You'd also need to trade for a Giratina from platinum ;P

Ravidrath said:
Any tips for a Physical Elektross?

It seems like Special is the way to go, since Wild Bolt is the only decent Physical Electric attack it learns? And the difference in Atk. and Sp. Atk. aren't that big?

Well it gets Coil, which is a pretty good stat up move, boosting up Attack, Defense and Acc in one go.

It doesn't get any special attack boosting moves besides Charge Beam, but it does have some decent moves in Flamethrower, Grass Knot, and its Special Attack is only 10 less than Attack.

I did run a physical one in game with Coil, Wild Charge, Crunch, and Acrobatics. I found it pretty good but not sure where you are trying to run an Elektross in.

zoukka

Doesn't Eelektross have that awesome acid move where it lowers the opponents spe-def? Can't believe I forgot it on mine and it can't be remembered with a heart scale either :<

I finally went island hopping in the Dream World. Finding the JPN users is a great way to gain new berries. :D Unfortunately, I had wasted my friend requests for the day, so I couldn't try to be their dream pals. :( We need to somehow create a GAF network, if it really is random who you can find.

zoukka said:
Doesn't Eelektross have that awesome acid move where it lowers the opponents spe-def? Can't believe I forgot it on mine and it can't be remembered with a heart scale either :<

Oh right, Acid Spray. Only Eelektrik learns it, hence why you can't heart scale it.

I guess you could run a set with Acid Spray lowering their special defense and smacking them with special moves. Doesn't sound that bad.

Azure J

Real talk, as much as I love my Physical Eelektross, I haaate the fact that the best physical electric move it has access to is Wild Charge. If I'm going to have to deal with the crap that is recoil based moves, I can at least hope that the 120 damage variants are an option. Volt Tackle Eelektross would be godly.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
He's one of the few learners of Coil as well, but his phyiscal movepool just doesn't impress (although with U-Turn, he could run a decent Choice Band set, considering he avoids Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and not-terrible defenses)

Slermy said:
So do people generally play at level 50? Is it worth "prepping" a team to be at their best at level 100?
At this point, you only need to be at 50 to play ranked and unranked battles randomly, since the system downlevels everyone.

If you are still doing battles through 4th gen games and prior, then yeah, you'll probably want to do so.

Slermy

ColtraineGF said:
At this point, you only need to be at 50 to play ranked and unranked battles randomly, since the system downlevels everyone.

If you are still doing battles through 4th gen games and prior, then yeah, you'll probably want to do so.

Alright, thanks!

Teknoman

How do you earn more dream points anyway? Just by playing the minigames? Also what can dream pals help you with?

EDIT: One more question, would swagger be better on a Cofagricus using hex, or should I just stick with wisp (does higher attack means higher damage to self when confused...of course if thats the case, I wonder what the higher special attack would do)?

Ravidrath

Schmitty said:
What's up with the dream world having spots for like 10 pokemon to be sent back but only allows 1?

Yeah, I don't get this, either.

I have two guesses:

1) At the very least, the Eevee evo will fill one of those when that goes live
2) They were planning for the future, when all the Pokemon are actually available in there, but decided more time was better to encourage trading​

Teknoman said:
How do you earn more dream points anyway? Just by playing the minigames? Also what can dream pals help you with?

Listed on the bottom of here:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/dreamworld.shtml

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teknoman said:

EDIT: One more question, would swagger be better on a Cofagricus using hex, or should I just stick with wisp (does higher attack means higher damage to self when confused...of course if thats the case, I wonder what the higher special attack would do)?

Will-O-Wisp is better for a number of reasons. One, it activates Hex's high damage output (which confusion does not), and secondly, Swagger is too risky when you're trying to preserve Cofagricus' decent defenses.

But yes, the idea behind Swagger is with the attack increase, the confusion damage will increase. The Special version, Flatter, does not make the Pokemon hurt themselves more, but is rather an alternative for use on a Pokemon where it would be dangerous to give it an attack boost. (ie; You wouldn't want to Swagger a Garchomp in most cases, but Flatter is a safe alternative).

Neither move is used competitively, because they're simply too risky.

Teknoman

EvilMario said:
Will-O-Wisp is better for a number of reasons. One, it activates Hex's high damage output (which confusion does not), and secondly, Swagger is too risky when you're trying to preserve Cofagricus' decent defenses.

But yes, the idea behind Swagger is with the attack increase, the confusion damage will increase. The Special version, Flatter, does not make the Pokemon hurt themselves more, but is rather an alternative for use on a Pokemon where it would be dangerous to give it an attack boost. (ie; You wouldn't want to Swagger a Garchomp in most cases, but Flatter is a safe alternative).

Neither move is used competitively, because they're simply too risky.

The anime lied to me then ; ;

lol seriously though, I got the idea to use confuse then use hex since someone with a frillish did so in one of the episodes. Didnt seem like an aim for the horn type thing either. But yeah you've got a point.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teknoman said:
The anime lied to me then ; ;

lol seriously though, I got the idea to use confuse then use hex since someone with a frillish did so in one of the episodes. Didnt seem like an aim for the horn type thing either. But yeah you've got a point.

In case you didn't know as well, Burned Pokemon's Attack stat is halved. So.. with Hex+Cofag's good defenses, you can see why it would be a great option.

upandaway

7 Relaxed Ferroseed eggs

6 of which have an HP IV of 3

one of which has an HP IV of 5

Edit: the two times I go to the clouds in DW, both times have absolutely no Pokemon or items for 10 steps!

Today is not my day in Pokemon-land.

edit: make that 4 times of absolutely no pokemon or items for 10 steps
what the eff, man

Yep, this has to be a glitch. I give up for today. This is useless.

upandaway said:
7 Relaxed Ferroseed eggs

6 of which have an HP IV of 3

one of which has an HP IV of 5

Edit: the two times I go to the clouds in DW, both times have absolutely no Pokemon or items for 10 steps!

Today is not my day in Pokemon-land.

edit: make that 4 times of absolutely no pokemon or items for 10 steps
what the eff, man

Yep, this has to be a glitch. I give up for today. This is useless.
Not a glitch. Pokémon and items stop showing up after a certain amount of consecutive visits to the tree without taking a Pokémon. It's the game telling you to pick one and transfer it back.

Roto13

Schmitty said:
What's up with the dream world having spots for like 10 pokemon to be sent back but only allows 1?
I believe that's to leave space for Pokemon you get through other means, such as that Eevee game.

upandaway

ColtraineGF said:
Not a glitch. Pokémon and items stop showing up after a certain amount of consecutive visits to the tree without taking a Pokmkllmon. It's the game telling you to pick one and transfer it back.
They were my first visits today. I didn't even see one Pokemon to make a wish for.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
upandaway said:
They were my first visits today. I didn't even see one Pokemon to make a wish for.

Very odd for both. I've had at least two Pokemon in every visit I've made. Make sure to keep a look out for sparkling plants and bushes. They're the ones usually containing items, but Pokemon can also leap out from them. You have to click on those to activate.

upandaway said:
Were they after setting a Pokémon to sleep? Because it won't reset if, say, you end your visit without taking your guy out of DW and come back the next day.

upandaway

Guys, I was scanning each area religiously for any shiny stuff, and it was immediately after I put a Pokemon to sleep. And last time I made a wish anyway so even if I didn't wake him up it wouldn't have let me enter the forest at all.

Something's fucked up with that site, I tell you what.

Captain N

Nintendo of America said on Twitter you can go to Toys R US and get an egg with 1 of 3 pokemon in it. anyone know what Pokemon they are giving away?

I just realized that I have two of the EV berries already. :O Correction, I now have all of them! :D Thank you Japanese players and your share shelves.

1460 dream points thus far. Finding berries to water is much quicker than playing the minigames. -_- 2100 can't come soon enough, I want that fourth row in my garden.

Articalys

I just realized I haven't played this since the day the dream world went active, so... mid-April.
What are the unique events that happen in the Spring?

Articalys said:
I just realized I haven't played this since the day the dream world went active, so... mid-April.
What are the unique events that happen in the Spring?
From Bulbapedia:
Bulbapedia said:
Morning begins one hour earlier, at 3:00 AM, while Day lasts an hour longer, until 8:59 PM.
Deerling and Sawsbuck appear in their Spring Form.
Snow is not present in any locations.
Certain areas may have rain.
Some wild Pokémon encounter rates change.
The background music on most routes changes slightly.
Casteliacones are sold.
Cynthia is in Undella Town.
Lass Maya (if the player is male) or Dancer Dirk (if the player is female) is at the Ferris wheel in Nimbasa City.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Today I realized something kind of interesting...

The Motorcycle Gang at the Tubeline Bridge on Friday is called "The Black Empoleon Gang", which is weird since it's pre-E4 and it seems odd they'd be named after a random Sinnoh Pokemon that has nothing to do with motorcycles.

When you defeat them though, it's revealed that they change their name based off the first party member of your team...mine, at the moment, are called "The Black Emboar", and this seems to show that perhaps someone in the past defeated them with an Empoleon.

The only major character with a set Empoleon, as the DPt heroes will never have an Empoleon guaranteed, is Darach, the Castle Valet who uses Empoleon in every fight and his general design seems to suggest Empoleon due to its color-scheme.

Darach previously took care of Caitlyn, who is now an Elite Four member, and an interview with Nintendo Dream hinted that Darach is closer to her than it seems, suggesting that he may make an appearance in Gray (or the 3rd Version). So, basically, I think Darach, prior to the player, traveled through Tubeline Bridge on his way to see Caitlyn and defeated the Black Biker Gang with his Empoleon, causing a name change.

It's a theory I'm proud of thinking of. :)

I could only water 7 times while visiting other islands during tonight's session. :\ I hope they didn't lower the limit or something; must have been a glitch because of maintenance.

Fewr

ninj4junpei said:
I could only water 7 times while visiting other islands during tonight's session. :\ I hope they didn't lower the limit or something; must have been a glitch because of maintenance.
I think you have to make your pokemon wake up, then go back to sleep to get the 20 units back, otherwise it stays at the level you left it last time.

Slermy

Dream World is not working for me today (says "Local Storage is necessary. The Browser will be refreshed."), I'm using Chrome. Anyone else having issues? I can access the PGL just fine, but not Dream World or the Customize option.

Fewr said:
I think you have to make your pokemon wake up, then go back to sleep to get the 20 units back, otherwise it stays at the level you left it last time.
That's lame. :\ I will just have to wake mine up then, I was trying to have a bigger selection of Pokemon to choose from.

Just so everyone knows the code for the munna c-gear is universal: PGLDR34M

This code can be used from tomorrow.

Also I caught a shiney whirlipede yesterday :)

Ravidrath said:
Very nice!

I haven't run into any shinies yet, and played through Japanese White and U.S. Black and White. :\

Yeah I know that pain, didn't get a single shiney out of d/p/plt, saw a geodude and graveller tho (of course the pokemon that self destruct...)

So far blacks been nice tho, got a shiney patrat 3 hours in and then got that whirlipede so alls forgiven.

Just starting using the dreamworld really today, its not as rubbish as I first thought, its a nice distraction, im guessing it won't be used in the next gen tho (gamefreak always drop their good ideas like the pokewalker etc)

I got to Nimbasa city and got the dress-up kit. I gave my Sigilyph a top hat. She's so adorable. ^_^ I'm really enjoying the game, minus the mediocre and awful pun filled dialogue. Game Freak has succeed in creating some interesting and nice looking locales.

upandaway

Argh just kill me now. Why am I not able to accept an average Ferroseed? Do I really need 31 in both Defense and HP when I can only manage to breed 29 in one and 5 in the other (consistently too)? It has been at least 30 proper-nature eggs now. 30. Well maybe I'm pushing it, but it should be around 25.

Fuck this, man. I'm taking the good HP and Sp.DEF one and fuck the rest. I don't even care if the speed IV is high. YOU HEAR ME? I DON'T CARE IF THE SPEED IV IS HIGH!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I too am having Breeding Blues...trying to get a good Modest Clamperl with HP Electric for a Gorebyss.

I want to get good IVs too, but I'm mainly concerned with HP's Power...

Only one I've got after two boxes of Clamperl is...

Clamperl
Electric 47
9/17/23/10/9/3

Not too good in HP Power or IVs...

Top Bottom