• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
N4Us said:
Can't get a Water Stone to pop up for the life of me. Getting everything else though. Damnit, I just want my Starmie and Ludicolo...

I assumed that you already got one at lighthouse in one of those city. Have you try black city if you have black verison.

I am working on collecting pokemons, I meant I would have all base and their evolution in order in 22 boxes, so far I have about 536 pokemons at the moment.

Also thanks to people whoever answered my question.

Fewr

I've got a spare water stone, but I won't be able to trade until the weekend. If by then you haven't gotten one, let me know and I'll give it to you.

upandaway

IntelliHeath said:
I am working on collecting pokemons, I meant I would have all base and their evolution in order in 22 boxes, so far I have about 536 pokemons at the moment.
I tried this in Platinum. Gave up at around 420. I doubt I'll ever try it again.

Sometimes I wonder if I have the patience of a god in me (for example today I caught Ditto of all natures, each battle taking 6 moves minimum with my setup), but there's some tediousness that just isn't worth it.

Victrix

*beard*
I swear to god GTS

So remember I was looking for Rufflet/Braviary and Thundurus earlier?

Well I missed the chance to trade here on GAF the other day, so I figured I'd try on GTS. Through a hilarious combination of putting up Vullaby and spamming <3 and then putting up a mix of Black exclusives including Cottonee, Gothita, Reshiram, and then putting up bird pokemon and spamming <3 some more with Vullaby visible, I *finally* got a few people to figure out what I wanted.

They put up Braviary! Yay! Twice! Both times I got disconnected just as we were about to trade.

The last who figured it out? He put it up and rejected _everything_ I offered. Starters, Zorua, fully evolved mons, high level dragons, pokerus infected stuff, Ditto, eggs, whatever. He took the time to :( every single thing I offered until I ran out of things to show. I have been successfully trolled.

ANYWAY. I'm still looking for both :p I'll be around all afternoon, so I can trade if anyone has time. I need a Rufflet/Braviary, I can offer any of the Black exclusives, a pokerus infected mon, Zorua, starters, or just something silly if you don't need anything.

As for Thundurus, I just need him to get Landorus, so if you're comfortable loaning one, I could do that, or if you're not, just trading back and forth so I can get him in my pokedex and look for him on GTS trade would work also (haw haw level <9 reshiram)

edit: Community is the worst thing

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Going to try and EV train a Kingler next...the set I'm using is...

Kingler @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Ability: Hyper Cutter
-Crabhammer
-Return
-X-Scissor
-Agility

Real easy to make, as the only Egg Move required is Agility...and Archen knows it as soon as you revive it, so no problem. It's odd that Archen is with the Water 3 Egg Group but, hey, I'm not complaining.

I'll probably have a lot of Agility Krabby's to spare if anyone is interested, then.

EV Training is SO fast in BW it seems...I EV'd a Mr. Mime the other night in, like, an hour.

Morokh

Watch Da Birdie said:
Going to try and EV train a Kingler next...the set I'm using is...

Kingler @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Ability: Hyper Cutter
-Crabhammer
-Return
-X-Scissor
-Agility

Take one from the dream world, his ability will be sheer force, making it an absolute beast :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Morokh said:
Take one from the dream world, his ability will be sheer force, making it an absolute beast :p

Except Sheer Force is nearly useless on Kingler at the moment. He doesn't receive Waterfall, so no physical Water move will receive a boost.. Return doesn't benefit. Really, only Rock Slide does.

Watch Da Birdie

Morokh said:

Nah, because Crabhammer, X-Scissor, and Return don't benefit from it according to Bulbapedia.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

N4Us

Thankfully I managed to get lucky this morning and obtained a few more Water Stones in Giant Chasm. Thanks for the offers though.

I took a longass hiatus from this game so I'm really far behind but I just caught a Karrablast and I wanted to evolve him into Escavalier.

Can someone help me out here? or if someone needed to evolve a Shellmet I could help there as well.

Name: Mik
FC: 3052 6979 3186

Thanks.

Morokh

Watch Da Birdie said:
Nah, because Crabhammer, X-Scissor, and Return don't benefit from it according to Bulbapedia.

Well X-scissor seems logic since it has no additional effect, but Crabhammer does ... that's just lame xD

Rapstah

Knux-Future said:
I took a longass hiatus from this game so I'm really far behind but I just caught a Karrablast and I wanted to evolve him into Escavalier.

Can someone help me out here? or if someone needed to evolve a Shellmet I could help there as well.

Name: Mik
FC: 3052 6979 3186

Thanks.
I have a Shellmet I might as well evolve, I'll hit your FC up somehow because I have never checked mine before.

EDIT: Oh hang on, you need mine too, right? 4126-5197-8616 / Rapstah

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Morokh said:
Well X-scissor seems logic since it has no additional effect, but Crabhammer does ... that's just lame xD

Moves with increased Critical Hit rates don't trigger Sheer Force, sadly. It's weird that he doesn't receive Waterfall though. GF likes to troll us.

Hopefully he'll receive move tutors in the 3rd release (even Razor Shell would do), and he can be a power house.

Xavien

ninj4junpei said:
Platinum and/or SS/HG + one of those .pkm transfer programs = you can get anything. Unless that doesn't work anymore. Of course, that's kind of cheating. ;)

I really like the Dream World, though the limitations are a bit bothersome.

Certainly, but i'd never use one of those pkm GTS exploit programs for anything other than the event pokemon I've missed (and only then i spent ages finding only legit event pokemon with the right OT, ID's, Natures etc).

And yes, events are definitely bullshit :p but luckly they don't "count" when completing the pokedex, just nice extras.

In other news, I'm missing audinos in soul silver :(

I swear to god GTS

Well I missed the chance to trade here on GAF the other day, so I figured I'd try on GTS. Through a hilarious combination of putting up Vullaby and spamming <3 and then putting up a mix of Black exclusives including Cottonee, Gothita, Reshiram, and then putting up bird pokemon and spamming <3 some more with Vullaby visible, I *finally* got a few people to figure out what I wanted.

They put up Braviary! Yay! Twice! Both times I got disconnected just as we were about to trade.

The last who figured it out? He put it up and rejected _everything_ I offered. Starters, Zorua, fully evolved mons, high level dragons, pokerus infected stuff, Ditto, eggs, whatever. He took the time to :( every single thing I offered until I ran out of things to show. I have been successfully trolled.

ANYWAY. I'm still looking for both :p I'll be around all afternoon, so I can trade if anyone has time. I need a Rufflet/Braviary, I can offer any of the Black exclusives, a pokerus infected mon, Zorua, starters, or just something silly if you don't need anything.

As for Thundurus, I just need him to get Landorus, so if you're comfortable loaning one, I could do that, or if you're not, just trading back and forth so I can get him in my pokedex and look for him on GTS trade would work also (haw haw level <9 reshiram)

edit: Community is the worst thing

Yes, GTS negotiations can suck, but there "are" some out there who are genuinely interested in trading stuff, i once had someone who traded a kyogre for my hydregion, plus a few others traded a couple of the lake guardian legendaries for some white exclusives. But sadly those types of people on GTSn seem to be 1 out of every 10 assholes.

I goofed up in adding my friend code to the spreadsheat. :x Sorry to whoever will have to fix that.

Anyone want to be dream world friends? :3 Or is that not available yet?

Wow, they really mean it when they say 24 hours between dream world sessions. D:

Wait, EVs effect the stats right there on the spot? I have never EV trained before, but from what I heard I thought they were not visible to the player? I was battling Patrats, and my Attack stat went from 160 to 161. Is this new for B/W, or has it always been this way?

Xavien

Blu_LED said:
Wait, EVs effect the stats right there on the spot? I have never EV trained before, but from what I heard I thought they were not visible to the player? I was battling Patrats, and my Attack stat went from 160 to 161. Is this new for B/W, or has it always been this way?

New for B/W, EV training can extend beyond level 100 now.

Edit: Beaten :p

Fewr

Victrix said:
I swear to god GTS

Well I missed the chance to trade here on GAF the other day, so I figured I'd try on GTS.
We can trade this coming weekend, I can also lend you my Thundurus or whatever the name is.

Roto13 said:
Yeah, that's new. It means you can EV train at level 100 now. :p
*head explodes* o_O

Jeez, I don't think I have found a single female Pokemon on the Island of Dreams. I'm grinding for berries now.

yeb

Blu_LED said:
To clarify a little, EVs have always been reflected in your stats page - the actual EVs are hidden, but their effect is visible. The change in gen 5 is that stat adjustments are made instantly. Before, they only took effect on level up, leading to things like level up gains of 10+ points and the inability to adjust EVs for a level 100 pokemon.

yeb said:
To clarify a little, EVs have always been reflected in your stats page - the actual EVs are hidden, but their effect is visible. The change in gen 5 is that stat adjustments are made instantly. Before, they only took effect on level up, leading to things like level up gains of 10+ points and the inability to adjust EVs for a level 100 pokemon.
Is there a proper guide for these changes?

Okay, it's mentioned here http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Edit: @_@ So can someone please explain something to me. The stats affected by natures are determined first, then the individual values do their thing, and then effort values?

ninj4junpei said:
Is there a proper guide for these changes?

Okay, it's mentioned here http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Edit: @_@ So can someone please explain something to me. The stats affected by natures are determined first, then the individual values do their thing, and then effort values?
For reference purposes only, you don't have to memorize:

iMOWm.png

t69qw.png

IVs and EVs are first. Natures affect the stats (except HP) after the main part of calculation, raising/lowering by 10%.

ColtraineGF said:
For reference purposes only, you don't have to memorize:

iMOWm.png

t69qw.png

IVs and EVs are first. Natures affect the stats (except HP) after the main part of calculation, raising/lowering by 10%.
Thanks. :) So that equation is used at the end of every battle (this generation)?

If that's the case, you effectively can lower your stats by lowering your EVs?

Watch Da Birdie

Moves with increased Critical Hit rates don't trigger Sheer Force, sadly. It's weird that he doesn't receive Waterfall though. GF likes to troll us.

I'm guessing perhaps it's because Critical Hits do more than Sheer Force I believe...double damage plus it's not affected by the opponent's raises in defense or the user's decreases in attacks...that seems more worthwhile than a 30% increase, at least to me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Watch Da Birdie said:
I'm guessing perhaps it's because Critical Hits do more than Sheer Force I believe...double damage plus it's not affected by the opponent's raises in defense or the user's decreases in attacks...that seems more worthwhile than a 30% increase, at least to me.

But you only have an increased chance to critical hit, which is then just playing the odds (12.5% increase). Or you could have a certain (barring Mold Breaker, or other ability altering moves) increase in the power of your move.

Critical hits can be effected by Attack, or Defense boost, whichever is more advantageous to the attacker. It's been this way since Generation II. See Bulbapedia for specific examples.

Sheer Force is all about preference. If you enjoy specific secondary effects, you won't use it. But Pokemon has really become a very offensive based metagame, and a 30% increase on top of being able to use Life Orb (with attacks that are increased by Sheer Force) for free is an incredible damage increase.

Morokh

ninj4junpei said:
Thanks. :) So that equation is used at the end of every battle (this generation)?

If that's the case, you effectively can lower your stats by lowering your EVs?

Only if you already have EV's invested in this stat, yes, but you can only reduce EV's by using EV-Reducing Berries.

Morokh said:
Only if you already have EV's invested in this stat, yes, but you can only reduce EV's by using EV-Reducing Berries.
By doing so, you could move the EVs to another stat and still have the same bonus, correct? Essentially, I am asking if a level 100 or any level Pokemon could reallocate their EV bonuses.

upandaway

1. 29-31/5-9/2-6/22-26/29-31/25-29
2. 18-23/16-21/29-31/22-26/29-31/8-13

Staryu. I'm rolling that standard silly Timid+Life Orb one (because I never made one). One has more health and speed but the other has way more defense. I was blessed with Natural Cure on both.

Which?

Wichu

ninj4junpei said:
By doing so, you could move the EVs to another stat and still have the same bonus, correct? Essentially, I am asking if a level 100 or any level Pokemon could reallocate their EV bonuses.
Yup, you can reallocate EVs using a combination of EV-reducing berries and battles/vitamins, even at level 100. The only problem is that the berries needed are only available through the Dream World (and are pretty rare even there).

upandaway said:
1. 29-31/5-9/2-6/22-26/29-31/25-29
2. 18-23/16-21/29-31/22-26/29-31/8-13

Staryu. I'm rolling that standard silly Timid+Life Orb one (because I never made one). One has more health and speed but the other has way more defense. I was blessed with Natural Cure on both.

Which?

I'd keep going (if you want to use it in competitive battling, 31 Speed is a must to avoid being outsped). But if I had to pick, I'd choose the speedier one every time (for an attacker, Speed is more important than Defense).

Wichu said:
Yup, you can reallocate EVs using a combination of EV-reducing berries and battles/vitamins, even at level 100. The only problem is that the berries needed are only available through the Dream World (and are pretty rare even there).
Awesome, I guess I will finally get into EV training this time. :D

upandaway

Wichu said:
I'd keep going (if you want to use it in competitive battling, 31 Speed is a must to avoid being outsped). But if I had to pick, I'd choose the speedier one every time (for an attacker, Speed is more important than Defense).
I'll probably only use the guy for whatever battle facilities there are in Gray, but I guess speed is the more important thing.

Rapstah

Okay, so in my chase for understanding how exactly IVs can make my life better I checked my general captured Pokémon boxes and eventually came across a Cubchoo with an IV of 31 in Special Defense. What exactly can I make of this? Its highest other IV was 22 which makes this a pretty bad one overall, right? Can I breed just this one IV down to another one?

Rapstah said:
Okay, so in my chase for understanding how exactly IVs can make my life better I checked my general captured Pokémon boxes and eventually came across a Cubchoo with an IV of 31 in Special Defense. What exactly can I make of this? Its highest other IV was 22 which makes this a pretty bad one overall, right? Can I breed just this one IV down to another one?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/IVs I can't simplify it at the moment.

Rapstah said:
Was just about to edit the post; in short, what I gathered is that IVs aren't inherited but that bred Pokémon generally are born with higher ones?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breeding#Generation_V

I like how I have spent 3 hours actually playing the game and way much more time researching different aspects of it. >_<

Broke it down.
- A total of three IVs, each randomly chosen from either parent.
- Each a different stat.
- EV items held by parents influence inheritance of one stat.
- If both parents have EV items, the stat is randomly chosen between the two.

Just for future reference: easiest HM Slave duo is probably Panpour
(shaking grass in Lostlorn and Pinwheel Forest)
and Tropius
(15% chance of encounter in any grass on Route 14)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
As a collector & reader of the official guides since days of old I'm ready ta jump in an get the B/W guides only I dunno which to get! The collectors edition throws a wrench into things since it contains stuff from Volume 1 & 2 but not everything from both @_@;

Should I stick with just V1&2? Get all 3? I can't decide! And I'm also wondering if they're gonna release a third volume to cover all the PKMN not available in these two games? Any decision making help will be appreciated!

N4Us

Zee-V70 said:
and Tropius

Golduck can also learn the three Water HMs plus Strength, and he's all over
Route 14
as well.

Roto13

The fossil turtle (whose name eludes me at the moment) is also a pretty great HM slave. It's basically a Lapras. :p Not that you really need one in this game.

Xavien

Zee-V70 said:
and Tropius

Tropius can fly? Mind Blown, that thing looked more like a Dinosaur with leaves.

Roto13 said:
The fossil turtle (whose name eludes me at the moment) is also a pretty great HM slave. It's basically a Lapras. :p Not that you really need one in this game.

Carracosta?

Lindsay said:
As a collector & reader of the official guides since days of old I'm ready ta jump in an get the B/W guides only I dunno which to get! The collectors edition throws a wrench into things since it contains stuff from Volume 1 & 2 but not everything from both @_@;

Should I stick with just V1&2? Get all 3? I can't decide! And I'm also wondering if they're gonna release a third volume to cover all the PKMN not available in these two games? Any decision making help will be appreciated!
The fuck? I say screw the guides, they likely won't provide anything better than what you can get online.

I have devised a plan to just print some reference sheets, punch holes in them, and place them in a ring binder. I did the same for Persona 3.

Fewr

Lindsay said:

I bought the special edition, it hasn't got everything, but I think it's good enought. I bought it mostly because it's the closest thing to an art book we will get. I hope they release the updated complete pokedex again (third volume), I'd buy it.

ninj4junpei said:
The fuck? I say screw the guides, they likely won't provide anything better than what you can get online.

I have devised a plan to just print some reference sheets, punch holes in them, and place them in a ring binder. I did the same for Persona 3.
As I stated above, it's the closest thing to an art book, and I like how it tells you what to do, but doesn't give it all away like the internet does.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I forgot this thread is slow now.

Lindsay said:

If you only want one guide that has the most useful information, then getting the collector's guide of Vol.1 is the way to go. Having the pokedex and the walkthrough is more than enough.

Vol 2 can pretty much be seen as a rip-off, especially if you gotten the collector's guide. It has pretty much the same pokedex as the collector's edition, and the only other thing are those battle and catching primers that were in other guides like Platinum. It does have all the items and move data which I found pretty nice, but still there wasn't anything new in it. :[

It does have that Munna C-gear skin code, though not sure if it's the same code for everyone.

Fewr

dakkumauji said:
It does have that Munna C-gear skin code, though not sure if it's the same code for everyone.
Where is it? when in the shop I couldn't find it (I did not intend to steal it, I am just wondering where it was)

Top Bottom