• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

upandaway said:
Yeah that's my point. I didn't breed a SINGLE one with an IV of less than 10.

Yeah I misunderstood. But at this point maybe you should try to get another Ditto to use for breeding so you can have better control on your IVs. Whether you're looking for the minimum or maximum value, your Speed stat is where you should be picky if you're going to bother with IVs at all as it's the only one where a difference of even one point will consistently make or break things.

upandaway

All I want out of Ferrothorn is to be able to Leech Curse +6 against specific Pokemon he switches into. Even if the speed IV screws me out of the 150 of Gyro Ball, at +6 Curse it shouldn't matter that much, right?

Schmitty

upandaway said:
Argh just kill me now. Why am I not able to accept an average Ferroseed? Do I really need 31 in both Defense and HP when I can only manage to breed 29 in one and 5 in the other (consistently too)? It has been at least 30 proper-nature eggs now. 30. Well maybe I'm pushing it, but it should be around 25.

Fuck this, man. I'm taking the good HP and Sp.DEF one and fuck the rest. I don't even care if the speed IV is high. YOU HEAR ME? I DON'T CARE IF THE SPEED IV IS HIGH!
I'll take one of your failures if the stuff is average. I don't really care

upandaway

Schmitty said:
I'll take one of your failures if the stuff is average. I don't really care
Sure. Lemme calculate and write here all the IVs in an organized fashion tomorrow, right now it's just a mess on paper.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
upandaway said:
All I want out of Ferrothorn is to be able to Leech Curse +6 against specific Pokemon he switches into. Even if the speed IV screws me out of the 150 of Gyro Ball, at +6 Curse it shouldn't matter that much, right?

He's damn slow as it is. It'll make little difference in the end.

upandaway

I didn't run any calculations, but at -6 I'm guessing his speed will not be less than 10-13 with average IVs (Ferroseed's speed at level 50 with negative nature/average IVs is 19). So I dunno if he can even pull off the 125 against slow Pokes, probably around the 100. With zero speed IVs, I bet his speed could drop to something insane like 3 or 4.

That's why it's so hard for me to just choose one. It's mainly between no HP/high defs/low speed and high HP/average defenses/average speed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, Curse Ferrothorn is death as it is, quite frankly. You're only really suffering against a few select Pokemon with bad Speed IVs. Slower Rock and Water Pokemon can't switch in anyways, so you're looking at the slower Steel / Fighting (and maybe Grass) Pokemon as trouble. Electric and Fire will tend to be fast anyways.

Choice Band is so much more attractive. It gives a lot of power right away, and you don't have to worry about switching out after one Curse because something with a Fire attack switched in.

By the way, minimum speed for Ferrothorn is 22 at level 100, or halve that for 50.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Question.

Smogon recommends I give my Modest Gorebyss HP Electric to take care of other Water Pokemon, but is there any downside to going with HP Grass? It takes care of Water-types and, ultimately, the only other type Electric would take down is Flying...which Ice Beam takes care of.

I just thought it'd be easier breeding if I could choose between HP Electric and HP Grass too widen my choices.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Watch Da Birdie said:
Question.

Smogon recommends I give my Modest Gorebyss HP Electric to take care of other Water Pokemon, but is there any downside to going with HP Grass? It takes care of Water-types and, ultimately, the only other type Electric would take down is Flying...which Ice Beam takes care of.

I just thought it'd be easier breeding if I could choose between HP Electric and HP Grass too widen my choices.

I only see HP Grass listed on their analysis for this generation, and last. It makes more sense, giving the Surf / Ice Beam / HP Grass coverage. The only other real consideration is HP Fire.. for Abomasnow and Ferrothorn who resist you otherwise.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82960

Any news on new events? I know the TRU egg event is going on right now, but that one is so pointless I can't convince myself to actually do it. When are they going to start giving out the three event Pokemon?

I wish they gave you the option to make N a girl. That would certainly add some more tension (at least for me). :3 He certainly looks feminine enough, to me.

You know, we're coming up pretty close to the announcement of whatever game is coming.

I still say it's a side game. Though, I'm open to surprises.

Ondore

If it's Mystery Dungeon, I am cry and not in a good way. But we all know it's Pokemon XD 2: Eelektross Boogaloo.

Blu_LED said:
When are they going to start giving out the three event Pokemon?

When they give out the DW abilities for the Unovadex Pokemon. So... next year?

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the upcoming movie is Victini Focused, so I guess it won't be till Movie 15 when we get Keldeo...

Anyway, out of 50! Clamperl, here's the only two Modest I've got with HP Grass and HP Electric...

Clampearl- C1
Electric 47
9/17/23/10/9/3

Clampearl- C1Grass
Grass 49
24/6/23/26/17/7

The second one ain't bad (weakest IVs are Attack, which won't matter, and Speed, which doesn't matter too much since Shell Smash will speed it up), but I still want a bit more in terms of HP's base power.

Now, CoroCoro has announced that they are going to reveal details of a new game next month...Is it actually the game that Dengeki was going to announce, making Dengeki's thing an announcement of an announcement? Or is it another new game...?

The mind wonders.

Morokh

Watch Da Birdie said:
Question.

Unless you're going really deep into competitive battling just aim or for good IV's or for your Hidden Power, aiming for the two at the same time will just end up pissing you off xD

upandaway

upandaway said:
Sure. Lemme calculate and write here all the IVs in an organized fashion tomorrow, right now it's just a mess on paper.
3/13/29/13/25/5
19/23/1/13/25/3
25/17/1/17/21/5
(relaxed)

They're as average an average thing can be (having either decent defense or decent HP). I ended up taking a 27/29/7/7/21/15.

Dunno why anyone would want any of 'em but there it is, just say so.

I tried Super Single for a bit with Starmie/Volcarona/Ferrothorn and it's pretty neat. So far the highest I got was 25, but all my deaths were due to terrible misplays (like switching Ferrothorn into an Exploud's Fire Blast, ouch).

Funny deal: Ferrothorn was against Wailord. Wailord kept putting up Curse, so I could never do anything with Gyro Ball. We ended up +6 Curse, Leech Seed and Ingrain for me, Rest for him. I had to let him run out of rests with no attacking moves
axfDd.gif
took half an hour.

Watch Da Birdie

Morokh said:
Unless you're going really deep into competitive battling just aim or for good IV's or for your Hidden Power, aiming for the two at the same time will just end up pissing you off xD

Yeah...I'm getting pissed off already! :p
But I'm actually doing this partially for a friend, so I want to try and create a pretty powerful one.

In the end, I'm going to try and get at least six Modest HP Grass/Electric Clamperl, and just pick the best from them.

Then I'll pick from the Adamant Clamperl I get to make Gorebyss' partner, Huntail, which will be a lot easier since I don't have to worry about HP.

That was lame. Decided to battle my brother, but he had Victini which is banned from Flat. Then we realized we could only have 4 and pick 3. So I sat my Zebstrika.

Ended up with my Emboar, Whimsicott, Excadrill, and Jellicent versus his Serperior, Conkledurr, Excadrill, and Jellicent. :lol

I sat Excadrill and he sat Conkledurr.
My Jellicent lost to his Jellicent because mine is slower and his was Calm while mine was Bold. :(
It ended with his Excadrill getting a crit on Whimsicott with X-Scissor. :(

No Choice items, Leftovers, or proper EV's. It was kind of funny how we had 2/6 of the same Pokemon.

upandaway

Y'know what bugs me a whole ton. Brave is +atk -spe.

Why? It makes so much sense to lower defense instead of speed. Isn't it? Right? Brave rushes forward despite the danger and injuries. Instead, the one that decreases defense is Lonely. What the hell? Lonely should be -sp.def or something.

Gruco

Banned
Xavien said:
Yay! National Pokedex completed, 646/646, event pokemon and all.

That was a loooong journey.
Congrats! I'm sitting around 400 and decided to take a bit of a break. Getting to 630 or so from here should be easy, but once I start looking for the events and Regis I know it's going to get ugly.

Wiseblade

ColtraineGF said:
Now, CoroCoro has announced that they are going to reveal details of a new game next month...Is it actually the game that Dengeki was going to announce, making Dengeki's thing an announcement of an announcement? Or is it another new game...?

The mind wonders.

CoroCoro? This new game might actually be something major then.

*crosses fingers*

Please don't be Grey... Please don't be Grey... Please don't be Grey...

Watch Da Birdie

CoroCoro covers all the games, minor and major, so I don't see why them announcing the game makes it anymore important than before...

I'd say it's definitely the same game...just Dengeki will reveal it the 21st, and then CoroCoro will probably cover it more next month. I'm betting Dengeki will have sparse details (a title, maybe one or two pics) and then CoroCoro will further reveal info.

Rapstah

If only the fossil guy would give me the Omanyte fossil I'd have my favourites... got lucky with Aerodactyl the first time so that's settled. I love Omastar though, so great with current graphics.

N4Us

Rapstah said:
If only the fossil guy would give me the Omanyte fossil I'd have my favourites... got lucky with Aerodactyl the first time so that's settled. I love Omastar though, so great with current graphics.

I keep wanting a Kabuto but he still hasn't given me that fossil!

quabba

I know it depends on your team etc but is there a most commonly desired/useful hidden power? After all the HP talk in here I decided to check the pokemon I have IVs for, i got.

Lapras HP Ice 65 (useless)
Charizard HP Steel 36
Jolteon HP Dragon 70
Chandelure HP Ice 35
Volcarona HP Ice 68

Might be usefull on Jolteon and Volcarona to counter dragon types?

There no use for it on physical attackers is there?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
quabba said:
I know it depends on your team etc but is there a most commonly desired/useful hidden power? After all the HP talk in here I decided to check the pokemon I have IVs for, i got.

Lapras HP Ice 65 (useless)
Charizard HP Steel 36
Jolteon HP Dragon 70
Chandelure HP Ice 35
Volcarona HP Ice 68

Might be usefull on Jolteon and Volcarona to counter dragon types?

There no use for it on physical attackers is there?

HP Dragon on Jolteon is pretty useless, because it only hits Dragons for Super Effective damage.. so you're not really picking up coverage there. If you had 70 HP Ice, that's another story. But the Flying/Dragon types you're hitting pretty well anyways.

HP Ice on Volcarona might have some merit so you're not walled by the before mentioned Flying/Dragon which resist your Bug/Fire combo.

Xavien

Gruco said:
Congrats! I'm sitting around 400 and decided to take a bit of a break. Getting to 630 or so from here should be easy, but once I start looking for the events and Regis I know it's going to get ugly.

Luckly there are ways of getting legit event pokemon via certain unofficial GTS sources
Look up ShinyGTS (to send them to your pokemon cart), event pokemon (to get the wonder card files) and pokegen (to pull the event pokemon from the wonder cards) via google
;)

ninj4junpei said:
Gah, Elesa is such a brat; frakin' hyper potions. I'm attempting to beat her with just my Dewott and Tranquil.

I think you can get drilbur from a cave before Nimbasa or get a Zebstrika/blitzle with Lightning Rod and rip her pokemon to pieces with flame charge.

quabba

upandaway said:
Yeah that's my point. I didn't breed a SINGLE one with an IV of less than 10.

After reading your plight, I noticed one of my Archen abortions has a Speed IV of 0, I can breed that with a Farfetch'd, the farfetch'd with a Snivy and the Snivy with a Ferroseed to get a 0 Speed Ferroseed....

Now to check if I have a female farfetch'd...

Edit: ahh crap the Archen is female...

upandaway

quabba said:
After reading your plight, I noticed one of my Archen abortions has a Speed IV of 0, I can breed that with a Farfetch'd, the farfetch'd with a Snivy and the Snivy with a Ferroseed to get a 0 Speed Ferroseed....

Now to check if I have a female farfetch'd...

Edit: ahh crap the Archen is female...
Do the IVs just pass down like that? How does it work?

upandaway said:
Do the IVs just pass down like that? How does it work?
When breeding, the baby's IVs are done like so:
-Three IVs are selected from the parents to be passed down to the respective stat (Attack -> Attack, Defense -> Defense, etc.).
-The other three are random.

You can force an IV to be passed down if you use the corresponding Power item (example: Power Bracer passes Attack).

For example, to pass down a 0 Speed IV, you'd attack a Power Anklet to the one with the 0 IV in Speed, and the children will end up with a 0 in Speed.

Just a quick question about IV's, since that seems to be what you're talking about lately:

I bred a Volcarona with three perfect IV stats, in Speed, Sp. Atk, and Sp. Def, however the other IV's aren't so hot. Does that matter much? Or should I just use this one?

upandaway

SUBZERO-08 said:
Just a quick question about IV's, since that seems to be what you're talking about lately:

I bred a Volcarona with three perfect IV stats, in Speed, Sp. Atk, and Sp. Def, however the other IV's aren't so hot. Does that matter much? Or should I just use this one?
Well in light of the recent discovery in the 2 posts above, try breeding a few more.

I mean damn, guess that explains why my Ferroseeds weren't so hot.

Thank GOD I did not release any duplicate natured Dittos when I was gathering one of every nature. I can select now whoever has the best IVs.

SUBZERO-08 said:

Well, the other attacking stat (Attack in your case) doesn't matter. As for HP and Defense, it probably won't matter to you, if you plan on having something that can speedily dispatch opponents while doing special tanking.

But if you aren't investing EVs in HP and Defense...it's up to you if you want to improve those stats IV wise.

Xavien said:
I think you can get drilbur from a cave before Nimbasa or get a Zebstrika/blitzle with Lightning Rod and rip her pokemon to pieces with flame charge.
I started to head back to that cave, but I didn't feel like it and turned around. I was stubborn and determined to stick to my guns (Dewott (now Samurott) and Tranquil), whom have served me well. Also the bike isn't fast enough; I wish they gave you HM Fly sooner.

quabba

SUBZERO-08 said:

How low is not so hot and how insane would you like to drive yourself?

I usually go for 31 in Speed and then try and get as many others high ivs as I can, even then I still end up with one non crucial IV that's under 20.

Considering you have the important IVs maxed out and how long it takes to hatch Larvesta, if that one has the nature you want then I'd probably go with it.

upandaway

3dw59.png

did not expect THIS when i clicked on the cloud

my highest score yet and they give me bite :/ ARG

Edit: Whoa. Apparently the wing items still rise the EVs after 100 points. Suddenly Little Cup training isn't so scary (a whole ton more tedious though)!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Little Cup training is pretty easy if you have a few Exp Shares. You can equip them to other Pokemon in your party to suck those few precious EVs away from the trainee. You could even switch in the Pokemon holding Exp Shares if need be to suck out more.

The Wings are definitely handy, but I don't think collecting hundreds of them is any less time consuming.

Top Bottom