• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

I am so tired of Team Plasma's antics; the dialogue is so bad (in general). -_- I'm at the Driftveil Gym now, at least I'm at the halfway point almost. The pacing is so bad, but at least the gyms have cool gimmicks.

upandaway

Rapstah said:
I don't think so. They're the same thing as rustling grass and those still appear with Repel applied.
They're more similar to the dust in caves, but yeah.

I just wish the wings gave more than 1 point. It's kinda like Flame Body and Magma Armor not stacking... for those who care, it would have been a lifesaver, and for those who don't, it doesn't do anything.

Gamefreak should make Flame Body and Magma Armor stack, AND have Dream World Dittos produce eggs faster. I foam at the mouth just thinking about it.

Do
Reshiram/Zekrom's nature/IV change if you keep defeating it/running? I'm talking about the initial encounter (before you fight N).

quabba said:
How low is not so hot and how insane would you like to drive yourself?

I usually go for 31 in Speed and then try and get as many others high ivs as I can, even then I still end up with one non crucial IV that's under 20.

Considering you have the important IVs maxed out and how long it takes to hatch Larvesta, if that one has the nature you want then I'd probably go with it.
Well the exact IV's are:

Larvesta - #636 (Timid)
Male (♂)
HP: 16 - 17
Att: 0 - 3
Def: 4 - 5
SpA: 31
SpD: 31
Speed: 31

The HP IV isn't as bad as I previously thought. I think I'll just keep this one, because it took so damn long to breed and get a male like I wanted.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ended up with like seven Clamperl, so I'm going with this one for my Gorebyss...

Modest Clampearl
Hidden Power Grass 49
24/6/23/26/17/7

All around decent, with lowest being Atk (doesn't matter for Gorebyss) and Spd, which Shell Smash will fix anyway, especially when it comes to Sp. Atk.

Now time to train this gal on some Litwick and Basculin. :<

btkadams

does anyone have these that they could trade to me (and ill trade back right away)? I want to be able to search/request them on gts.

dialga
palkia
cresselia
kyogre
rayquaza

Huh, just noticed that if you have a shiny, that registers in the pokedex as the entry, instead of the regular coloring.

Nice little touch, GF.

I thought it'd be fun to try make some Pokegaf team logos in the style of sports teams. Never tried stuff like this before so I thought I'd give it a go. Here's my first. Is it worth making more?

U5hgB.png

http://i.imgur.com/XKEI4.png - Huge version with transparency.

Firestorm

OMG Aero said:
I love the logos, but how does a team tournament work in Pokemon? Is a random person selected from each team per battle?
The manager and assistant managers draft players based on their strengths in different metagames (Smogon BW OU, Smogon DP OU, Smogon DP UU, VGC 2011, etc). They then assign each player a metagame for the week and they get matched up with the other team's player for that metagame. Most wins that week between the two teams is the winner of the week's game.

Rapstah

Does anyone here have any Piplups of any quality to trade away? I really like Empoleon's design but I can't see how I'll get hold of any of its evolutions over GTS since there's no way to see any of them in Black. I can only really offer a Snivy or random fossil Pokémon for the trade though.

EDIT: I am officially DOWN for the (European) night. Kudos to Coltraine for trying through broken WFC though. If anyone's interested (or rather if anyone's doing the sacrifice since this is mostly my gain) PM me until tomorrow and we'll see how the connection turns out then.

Watch Da Birdie

Android18a said:
I thought it'd be fun to try make some Pokegaf team logos in the style of sports teams. Never tried stuff like this before so I thought I'd give it a go. Here's my first. Is it worth making more?

U5hgB.png

http://i.imgur.com/XKEI4.png - Huge version with transparency.

LOVE IT!

Anyway, finally finished training my Huntail and Gorebyss...now for Steelix.

I have a ton of Clamperl left over if anyone is interested.

Lone_Prodigy said:
So did I miss the Eeveelution Dream World event? The link to the online game doesn't work.

Unfortunately, yep. The deadline has passed, and the Eeveelutions are already slated to be released on the 19th.

Arren

Has anyone here got a spare basic Smeargle (of any nature)? I'd love to get one for my ever-increasing sketching needs.

Thanks in advance. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lone_Prodigy said:
So did I miss the Eeveelution Dream World event? The link to the online game doesn't work.

There will undoubtedly be a bunch of female Eevees around, so I'm certain people will be willing to breed more females for handouts.

upandaway

I am all sorts of happy dandy right now. My friend let me play his Black version until he finishes his finals (so July), which he hasn't even started yet. My OCD usually doesn't let me permanently keep Pokemon I got through trades, so now I can get my own legendaries!

I started today and I decided to employ what I planned for Grey, which is, get only 3 Pokemon for my whole team, 3 Pokemon I really like and are really easy to exploit on the AI. So far it's Samurott and Darmanitan (Belly Drum + 302BP Flare Blitz dongle-dongle-doo-poo). I'm already up to the flying gym. Woo!

EvilMario said:
There will undoubtedly be a bunch of female Eevees around, so I'm certain people will be willing to breed more females for handouts.
I heard all the Eevees from the event will be male.. that will really suck.

Rapstah

I'm still looking for a Piplup tonight too if anyone with one is on tonight. Like last night I can't really offer anything except a newly-bred Snivy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm looking for "LEGIT" Darkrai, Deoyxs, Manaphy and Shaymin to catch up with pokedex then I will be done with pokemon until they release last 3 legendary pokemons.

I know it might be too much to ask for since I don't have much to offer. my luck with pokemon white is pretty bad. Over 150 hours and I haven't spot any shiny pokemon.

upandaway said:
I heard all the Eevees from the event will be male.. that will really suck.

Bummer. Guess I'll have to transfer my Eevees from HG. I bred so many while trying to get Hp Electric Vaporeon and HP Ice Jolteon.

Xavien

IntelliHeath said:
I'm looking for "LEGIT" Darkrai, Deoyxs, Manaphy and Shaymin to catch up with pokedex then I will be done with pokemon until they release last 3 legendary pokemons.

I know it might be too much to ask for since I don't have much to offer. my luck with pokemon white is pretty bad. Over 150 hours and I haven't spot any shiny pokemon.

Don't think anyone is going to part with a real one (even if they do, it'll probably be a cloned event pokemon), your best bet is to use a fake GTS program and rip the event pokemon out of the wonder cards (which are around) with pokegen and transfer them to your DS via the fake GTS program. Pretty much means you'll have an event pokemon as legit as the ones handed out at events.

upandaway

Okay, I'm done with the E4
axfDd.gif
that's.. a little more than 10 hours. Team:

503.png
555-standard.png
567.png

Encore into Belly Drum + Archeops OHKOs the Fighting E4 dude and some other Pokemon. Sexy. And Samurott also has Retaliate and Aqua Jet to not be totally useless.

Now to waste my masterball on Tornadus, and I'm done kapish.

upandaway

That's pretty cool of you. But after I got both Darmanitan and Archeops adamant (without really trying), I have a feeling I'll be juggling ultraballs for a while if I don't go for the master. That's simply the way it goes.

Rapstah

upandaway said:
That's pretty cool of you. But after I got both Darmanitan and Archeops adamant (without really trying), I have a feeling I'll be juggling ultraballs for a while if I don't go for the master. That's simply the way it goes.
I wasn't bragging, was a serious suggestion.

I threw a Quick Ball at Reshiram, then chipped him down (with no status) and caught him with one Ultra Ball.

Of course, he's Docile. Blah. Didn't want to do the last fights again.

Watch Da Birdie

Finally raised my team up and defeated Alder...

What an easy fight! All the other E4 guys were a lot challenging, as in I lost basically most of my team each fight and had to revive them, but my Emboar pretty much killed everyone but Volcarona. :p

Disguises

After completing up to the elite four and doing a few hours of end-game stuff, I must admit that this was my least favourite Pokemon game. The main reason for this is the linearity of everything, I wasn't free as much as I was in previous games. Sure, there was a degree of linearity in previous games, but even the map in B/W is pretty much a line. Even the gyms, which were pretty well done in this game were linear - it was always obvious which route to take to get to the gym leader. There was barely any puzzle element (or maybe I just got lucky?)

I miss just doing what I want. I remember countless times I'd miss a gym leader in previous Pokemon games, then have to retrace my steps back to Saffron to beat Sabrina etc. Sure, there is a ton of content, which will probably keep me playing for another 60 hours, but I'm going to get a lot less playtime in this one than all other Pokemon games.

There are definitely some good points to the game, such as the story, which is a change from the usual Pokemon game storylines and the N character, which creeps me out (especially the ferris wheel scene). I liked the fact that I wasn't constantly fighting zubat and ratatta throughout the game and every single pokemon up to the elite four is new. I especially like the little touches, like registering multiple things as a shortcut, sorting items automatically in the bag and the additional musical layers that get played when moving faster on certain routes.

I didn't like some of the new features such as the dream world, which takes a lot of time and effort to get pokemon I could get elsewhere. I guess this is for the completionist/competitive Pokemon player. I also didn't like the lack of support of previous features, such as the pokewalker. Such a cool idea suffering the fate of a lot of Nintendo peripherals. :/

So, my main complaint is the linearity. I don't want to be so restricted next time. I want to maybe wander into the next route to train my pokemon more, not be blocked by a door/bridge that needs to be opened/lowered by the gym leader of the previous city. I want the barrier to be strong pokemon that I can't defeat, not a physical barrier. Like I said, I've played 60 hours worth and will probably put in an additional 60, so it's far from a bad game, just a bad Pokemon game in my opinion.

I'm sure there were a lot of other comments, complaints and praises that I forgot about in my 'review' of the game, but it's late, I'm tired and just wanted to leave my thoughts. I already see the game having no more physical barriers, so I'm hoping I will like the end-game content more :D.

Watch Da Birdie

Even the gyms, which were pretty well done in this game were linear - it was always obvious which route to take to get to the gym leader. There was barely any puzzle element (or maybe I just got lucky?)

Nah, I agree. Just compare the Ice Gym to Pryce and Candice's...it's nowhere near as annoying as they were.

Azure J

Some thoughts:

- After trying it out in game thanks to Ravi's comments on the matter, I've been converted. Special Eelektross > Physical. Oh man does it feel good to deal out damage without worrying about recoil so often. Also Acid Spray is stupidly broken. :lol

- Been training a Garchomp lately. First time I've ever done so, and now I understand the hype. Holy fucking shit this thing demolishes with a neutral nature and maxed Attack/Speed EVs. I can only imagine what would happen if I were playing for real and got a good nature running on it.

- Pokemon of the moment who is awesome but totally SOL without the craziest planning imo: Leavanny. This might be the first grass type and 3rd bug type I've loved in the history of the series. I wanted to train one ever since I saw that one gym leader use one on me, but initially the leveling up by happiness turned me off and I was still buying into the Smugleaf Snivy hype. Now though I really want to make it a part of my main team, but with something like 8 weaknesses and 2 double damage weaknesses, I don't know what to think. Anyone wanna look at my horribly mix n matched moveset and give me some direction?

Leavanny - Jolly Natured (Currently: Lvl. 64)
Ability: Swarm (Haven't thought of/Don't particularly like running Weather teams/don't really care for Chlorophyll)

HP: 189
Atk: 169
Def: 134
Sp. Atk: 87
Sp. Def: 119
Speed: 187

Agility
X-Scissor
Leaf Blade
Baton Pass

The original idea was to make it so Leavy was one of my physical rushdown 'mons with a setup that would build up some shenanigans for a slower transfer in, most notably my Eelektross. Coming in via Baton Pass after an Agility sounded like the hottest thing ever until I realized that... Well... I for damn sure know that I can't take a lot, even with my moderate investment in Levanny's defenses. Now, I'd like to keep Baton Pass as it still is a very viable option for this Pokemon, but at the same time, I think I need some second options on what I should do with it now. Any suggestions?

Finally, I'm thinking that I'm getting close to finding my permanent team. Right now, I'm playing with the following:

Eelektross
Hydreigon
(Some undetermined set member)
Darmanitan/Infernape
Jellicent/Milotic/Lapras
Leavanny

I still want to make this team entirely based off of 5th gen Pokemon, but Infernape is fucking godlike & Milotic's been great to me thus far.

Top Bottom