• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Ravidrath

Started breeding Gen 5 shinies, starting with Litwick.

Just to confirm... Ditto/Everstone nature method is now compatible with the Masuda Method, right?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those looking for Dream World ability Pokemon, this is my collection of females thus far. I can breed you a female with the ability as well, so you can pass down the ability through further breeding (ie; these bred Pokemon probably won't have great IVs). I'm looking for the same thing as well, females with the abilities so I can pass down.

Have:
Bellsprout - Gluttony
Exeggcute - Harvest
Lickitung - Cloud Nine
Murkrow - Prankster / Moxie
Nidoran - Hustle / Sheer Force
Oddish - Run Away / Effect Spore, or Healer
Slowpoke - Regenerator
Spearow - Sniper
Stantler - Sap Sipper
Staravia - Reckless
Tangela - Regenerator

Want:
Anorith - Swift Swim
Bidoof - Moody
Butterfree - Tinted Lens
Carvaha - Speed Boost
Corphish - Adaptability
Dratini - Marvel Scale / Multiscale
Drifloon - Flare Boost
Gligar - Immunity / Poison Heal
Goldeen - Lightning Rod
Growlithe - Justified
Hoothoot - Tinted Lens
Magikarp - Rattled
Natu - Magic Bounce
Poliwag - Drought
Remoraid - Moody
Shellos - Sand Strength
Tauros - Sheer Force
Tropius - Harvest
Vulpix - Drought

btkadams

wtf, my black city is like broken lol. yesterday i beat the 5 trainers, and today the 5 trainers are there but won't battle? i've been doing this every day that i play the game so that they stay int he city but it won't let me battle them again. totally weird.

grumpy

btkadams said:
wtf, my black city is like broken lol. yesterday i beat the 5 trainers, and today the 5 trainers are there but won't battle? i've been doing this every day that i play the game so that they stay int he city but it won't let me battle them again. totally weird.

Are you playing on a different console today? Same thing happens to me when I switch from my DSL to the 3DS.

btkadams

grumpy said:
Are you playing on a different console today? Same thing happens to me when I switch from my DSL to the 3DS.
hmmm. i am actually. should i switch back to beat them? or is it pointless? i don't want to lose my black city peeps ha.

edit: damn it does nothing. hope i don't lose any of them!

grumpy

btkadams said:
hmmm. i am actually. should i switch back to beat them? or is it pointless? i don't want to lose my black city peeps ha.

*Not 100% sure of this* but if you saved your game while playing on another console, you *might* have lost your chance to fight them for the day. Tomorrow everything should be back to normal.
Skipping the fights for just one day shouldn't have an effect on the number of people in your B.C.

EDIT: I remember my heart skipping several beats when during "game winter" I moved the system date forward in order to reach twist mountain to get some fossils I was missing. When I set back the correct date, every daily encounter in the game appeared to be played out :x Next day everything was back to normal :p

EvilMario said:
Want:
Bidoof - Moody
Carvaha - Speed Boost
Corphish - Adaptability
Drifloon - Flare Boost
Poliwag - Drought
Shellos - Sand Strength
Tropius - Harvest
Vulpix - Drought

Those are the ones I have. I'll trade you 3 or 4 for:

-Slowpoke - Regenerator
-Tangela - Regenerator
-Helping me evolve my shelmet and karrablast

It might take me awhile to get all the eggs together, so just let me know :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
GoldenChicken said:
Those are the ones I have. I'll trade you 3 or 4 for:

-Slowpoke - Regenerator
-Tangela - Regenerator
-Helping me evolve my shelmet and karrablast

It might take me awhile to get all the eggs together, so just let me know :)

Sure, I'll work on breeding them tonight.

1978 9457 7327 for my friend code. PM me when you're ready, and I should be around. These would be my preferable ones, but whatever you can give is okay.

Carvaha - Speed Boost
Corphish - Adaptability
Poliwag - Drizzle
Vulpix - Drought

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Schmitty said:
What should I train my Umbreon in? HP, SpD, Def?

Unless you're using it on a Baton Pass team (and Mean Look no longer trap passes), then just invest in HP and SpDef. Most physical hits, like Fighting moves, dangerous physical Bug moves like U-Turn, you're better not eating anyways. Even on a Curse set, resist the temptation to invest in Attack for the most part.

Investment in HPs will let him pass some pretty large Wishes as well.

Articalys

Watch Da Birdie said:
Oh, and top fifteen human characters are...

1. N
2. Emmet
3. Ingo
4. Skyla
5. Elesa
6. Cheren
7. Cilan
8. Hilbert
9. Bianca
10. Hilda
11. Grimsley
12. Caitlin
13. Cynthia
14. Burgh
15. Iris

Pretty interesting results. This is probably the only Gen outside of Gen 1 and 2 where the male character would probably beat the female character, I assume.
N I'm not surprised about, but the Subway bosses are that popular?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah. They're in a ton of Pixv fanart...

Also, for some reason, a common depiction of them suggests that they're robots built by Thorton, the Battle Factory head from Platinum. :0

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks for the trades, GoldenChicken.

Updating the list..

Have:
Bellsprout - Gluttony
Carvaha - Speed Boost
Corphish - Adaptability
Exeggcute - Harvest
Lickitung - Cloud Nine
Murkrow - Prankster / Moxie
Nidoran - Hustle / Sheer Force
Oddish - Run Away / Effect Spore, or Healer
Poliwag - Drizzle
Slowpoke - Regenerator
Spearow - Sniper
Stantler - Sap Sipper
Staravia - Reckless
Taillow - Scrappy
Tangela - Regenerator
Vulpix - Drought
Wingull - Rain Dish

Want:
Anorith - Swift Swim
Bidoof - Moody
Butterfree - Tinted Lens
Dratini - Marvel Scale / Multiscale
Drifloon - Flare Boost
Goldeen - Lightning Rod
Growlithe - Justified
Hoothoot - Tinted Lens
Magikarp - Rattled
Natu - Magic Bounce
Remoraid - Moody
Shellos - Sand Strength
Tauros - Sheer Force
Tropius - Harvest

The number of PC boxes I had went up from 8 to 16. Why is that, and is there a chance it could expand further?

What's the easiest way to farm Battle Points? EV training is taking forever. Macho Brace + Victini is still a slog.

Ondore

Once you've put a Pokemon in each of the 8 boxes, it goes to 16. Put one in 16 boxes and you hit the max of 24.

Ravidrath

Fuck yeah, shiny Litwick after 128 eggs! I'm naming him "Fulgorgeist," meaning "Light Ghost."

EVs aren't great and it has Flash Fire, but it's Modest.

Gravijah

Ravidrath said:
Fuck yeah, shiny Litwick after 128 eggs! I'm naming him "Fulgorgeist," meaning "Light Ghost."

EVs aren't great and it has Flash Fire, but it's Modest.

Shiny Litwick force assemble!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lone_Prodigy said:
What's wrong with Flash Fire? Fire immunity is nice.

Also, experience scaling is probably the best addition to Gen V.

Indeed, Flash Fire is the preferable ability. Flame Body is just luck based, and Shadow Tag is not yet available.

Ravidrath

EvilMario said:
Indeed, Flash Fire is the preferable ability. Flame Body is just luck based, and Shadow Tag is not yet available.

Huh, I guess I don't think I'd ever throw a Fire guy out with another Fire guy on the field?

upandaway

Ravidrath said:
Huh, I guess I don't think I'd ever throw a Fire guy out with another Fire guy on the field?
Not only fire guys learn fire attacks. And fire guys can learn things which are not fire attacks.

Lord knows anything could run Fire Blast nowadays. I lost many many Ferrothorns in the subway because of this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ravidrath said:

Like has been said, many Pokemon carry Fire moves, but still.. there are Fire Pokemon that can counter each other.

Chandelure would love to switch into Blaziken's Fire move for instance, boosting his own Fire attack, and being immune to his other STAB. Blaziken's Flare Blitz / Fire Blast, even resisted, could do a lot of damage which adds up taking into account Stealth Rocks weakness, maybe you're holding a Life Orb, Sand Stream / Hail going, etc.

Likewise, Choice Heatran can switch into a bunch of Dragons because he loves to eat predicted Fire moves, and he can take Dragon moves if he's wrong.

Flame Body is next to useless in comparison, with a lot of moves (Stone Edge, Surf, Hydro Pump, Earthquake) not even making contact. And even then, you're only praying for 30% chance.

Flash Fire gives you an immunity, and boost your own STAB moves. You can't see why it would be beneficial, even when switching into other Fire types?

Ravidrath

EvilMario said:
Flash Fire gives you an immunity, and boost your own STAB moves. You can't see why it would be beneficial, even when switching into other Fire types?

I can see how and why that's useful, it just seems pretty situational. Flame Body is 30% all the time, whereas the situation you described doesn't seem like it'll come up that often?

I don't really play any multiplayer, BTW, so my needs likely differ from yours, too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ravidrath said:
I can see how and why that's useful, it just seems pretty situational. Flame Body is 30% all the time, whereas the situation you described doesn't seem like it'll come up that often?

I don't really play any multiplayer, BTW, so my needs likely differ from yours, too.

In multiplayer, Fire moves are very common because it's a good offensive type (and very poor defensively). Fire types are not hit by many physical contact moves anyways (ie; Surf, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Stone Edge.. none of these make contact, so Flame Body is useless).

It might even be better in-game, because it's easier to bait the CPU into using a Fire attack by having a Pokemon with an obvious fire weakness out against something with a Fire move (even non-attack moves like Will-O-Wisp will activate it).

Giard

Hello, small question...just finished the game.
In Platinum there was a place in the Battle Tower where you were assigned 3 random (bad) pokemon and had to fight with them. You could then switch one with the opponent you just beat.

I found the Battle Subway, but don't think you can do this there... Is there a place where I can do what I just said above?

upandaway

Giard said:
Hello, small question...just finished the game.
In Platinum there was a place in the Battle Tower where you were assigned 3 random (bad) pokemon and had to fight with them. You could then switch one with the opponent you just beat.

I found the Battle Subway, but don't think you can do this there... Is there a place where I can do what I just said above?
It wasn't in Diamond/Pearl either. Will probably be in Gray.

upandaway

EvilMario said:
In multiplayer, Fire moves are very common because it's a good offensive type (and very poor defensively). Fire types are not hit by many physical contact moves anyways (ie; Surf, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Stone Edge.. none of these make contact, so Flame Body is useless).
Flame Body is a bit more useful when switching it against another Pokemon (exactly like Flash Fire).

I've had a lot of moments in the subway where I switched Volcarona in, and the opponent got burned. I proceeded to Quiver Dance his ass and the fight was over right there.
It works so well, I'm a bit sad I didn't invest more EVs in Defense. Maybe even the nature (if I focus on getting a Quiver Dance, I don't really need Timid). Could have switched into more things.

I wonder if the enemy AI is deliberately dumb. I've been EV training a Grass type against Victini and 90% of the time it DOESN'T use Incinerate. Heck, at one point I even forget it had that move since it kept spamming its other 3 moves.

Gravijah

Lone_Prodigy said:
I wonder if the enemy AI is deliberately dumb. I've been EV training a Grass type against Victini and 90% of the time it DOESN'T use Incinerate. Heck, at one point I even forget it had that move since it kept spamming its other 3 moves.

Haha, I'm pretty sure the AI is stupid on purpose a lot of the time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wild AI just picks a move at random. CPU opponents in-game use 'best attack' strategy, and Battle Subway opponents will actually switch, predict and maneuver a bit more.

It would be a bit hardcore if future games ever had a 'new game+' option, where every single opponent, wild and trainer, used Battle Tower A.I.

Schmitty

ColtraineGF said:
It would be a bit hardcore if future games ever had a 'new game+' option, where every single opponent, wild and trainer, used Battle Tower A.I.
I'm all for this. You'd keep your pokemon, but just start all over.

Holy cow. I was about to offer a Tepig on GTS for Oshawott and was cycling between the ones I had and then noticed a star on one of them. IT WAS A SHINY TEPIG AND I ALMOST GOT RID OF IT. It's also Adamant. <3

Being colour-blind sucks sometimes. :lol

Ravidrath

Lone_Prodigy said:
Holy cow. I was about to offer a Tepig on GTS for Oshawott and was cycling between the ones I had and then noticed a star on one of them. IT WAS A SHINY TEPIG AND I ALMOST GOT RID OF IT. It's also Adamant. <3

Being colour-blind sucks sometimes. :lol

I will give you a Shiny, uh... Exeggcute for that!

...If you're colorblind you can't appreciate the different colors, right? So it's worthless to you... Right?

Wichu

Ravidrath said:
I will give you a Shiny, uh... Exeggcute for that!

...If you're colorblind you can't appreciate the different colors, right? So it's worthless to you... Right?
It still sparkles!

grumpy

HALP, PokéGAF! Only two Pokemon left to finish my National 'Dex!

I need either a leaf stone and dawn stone, or someone to temporarily trade me a Shiftry and a Gallade.

I can breed any pokemon you ask, I can give you all the moon and water stones you need and I even have a spare Arceus, which I'm sure is "hacked".

upandaway

Argh. I hit battle 30 on the subway. It went so fucking well. Not a single Pokemon of mine died for the past two sets, and then, I lose.. to a misplay (killing Starmie)... and two crits (killing Ferrothorn and Volcarona). In 3 turns, I'm done.

It hurts. It hurts. I was 2 sets away. Less than 2.

It hurts.

I know my team has potential to win (every single time I lost so far has involved a misplay), it's just that I'm fucking stupid sometimes.

Aad

grumpy said:
HALP, PokéGAF! Only two Pokemon left to finish my National 'Dex!

I need either a leaf stone and dawn stone, or someone to temporarily trade me a Shiftry and a Gallade.

I can breed any pokemon you ask, I can give you all the moon and water stones you need and I even have a spare Arceus, which I'm sure is "hacked".
I can give you both the stones, I hope you can help me with a few pokémon.

Nidoran male and female
Farfetch'd
Grimer
Gastly
Onix
Voltorb
Exeggcute
Koffing
Ryhorn
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Electrabuzz
Tauros
Porygon

3482-1773-8364

grumpy

Aad said:
I can give you both the stones, I hope you can help me with a few pokémon.

3482-1773-8364

I have a spare Porygon, Tauros, Mime, Grimer, Ghastly and Exeggute that I can trade you right away. My FC is on the list, I'll be waiting in the WiFi room :)

EDIT: Where is u? :(

Aad

I can't conenct: error code 52110. Let me try again.

I'm in!

Why can't we connect?

Meh error code: 91010 now..

Top Bottom