• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

thechemist

Hi guys what are some recommended flying type and electical pokemon? I just finished the Fourth gym.

Thanks (Pokemon Black version)

(Currently using farfetch'd that I got from dreamworld)

Rapstah

thechemist said:
Hi guys what are some recommended flying type and electical pokemon? I just finished the Fourth gym.

Thanks (Pokemon Black version)

(Currently using farfetch'd that I got from dreamworld)
Find something with a three-stage evolution and stick with it and it'll serve you well for anything in the game. Farfetch'd has pretty awful stats overall. There's nothing wrong with the Pidove family if you like its looks. It's pretty hard to get any alternative three-stage bird families before you either get to the post-Elite Four part or really far into the Dream World.

thechemist

Rapstah said:
Find something with a three-stage evolution and stick with it and it'll serve you well for anything in the game. Farfetch'd has pretty awful stats overall. There's nothing wrong with the Pidove family if you like its looks. It's pretty hard to get any alternative three-stage bird families before you either get to the post-Elite Four part or really far into the Dream World.

Thanks! Appreciate it.

clemenx

Banned
Personally, I didn't even use a flying type, I missed Staraptor so much, lol. Since there's no need to backtrack much I didn't miss fly, just had to look for Pidove in the PC in case I needed it.

As for electric, I used a Zebstrika for the main game, once you get to Chargestone Cave you can catch a Joltik or a Tynamo, their evolutions are good. Tynamo just appears something crazy low like 2% of the time though.

Rapstah

Tynamo's evolutions are sweet, although catching and training it isn't quite as sweet. It's the kind of Pokémon family you sweep whole gyms with though.

I used Sigilyph. It can also learn Flash and Thief if you want to nab some items from wild Pokemon.

Tynamo is this generation's Feebas. Evolves into something awesome, but you have to contend with a weak first-form with a terrible movepool.

clemenx

Banned
Speaking of flying types, can anyone trade me a Braviary or Rufflet? Can't believe they don't appear to fight against so I could ask for them on GTS. I don't have much to give, I'm just starting to complete the Dex!

upandaway

I found it!!!

I found it!!!

It was in the car. It was upside down and behind the speakers. Dear god. I am so relieved.

I am so fucking relieved.

My god. Holy shit.

Rapstah

upandaway said:
I found it!!!

I found it!!!

It was in the car. It was upside down and behind the speakers. Dear god. I am so relieved.

My god. Holy shit.
Now imagine if you started playing the game and all those fake Pokémon from the late nineties were in it.

btkadams

upandaway said:
I found it!!!

I found it!!!

My god. Holy shit.
!!!! awesome dude!

Boogiepop

So, I just realized that I never got my Espeon from the dream world. Is there something I was supposed to do to get it? I won the game well ahead of time and got Espeon, but it never appeared in my dream world/game.

clemenx

Banned
clemenx said:
Speaking of flying types, can anyone trade me a Braviary or Rufflet? Can't believe they don't appear to fight against so I could ask for them on GTS. I don't have much to give, I'm just starting to complete the Dex!
Anyone? :(

Also, I've got a question about Black City. I know I need to connect with someone's White Forest via Entralink to get more people in it, but I wonder if it will shrink if I don't do anything? My Black City started with 10 trainers in it so it's pretty handy for some training and collecting my daily 10k pokedollars, lol

Yeah you need to battle them often or else they'll lose points. If they lose enough points they'll leave.

Had my first brush with Subway hax on the Single Train. Versus Ingo, I had a Rock Slide miss, and his Focus Blast got the SpD drop and a flinch. Ugh.

Roto13

Has anyone tried the 3DS Pokedex from the eShop? It's pretty fun to mess around with. :p It only has the Unova Pokemon in it, though.

Frost_Ace

Woot! This is my first post on Gaf, I wanted to do it here since pokemon is so special to me <3

I hope to be around when the next pokemon game comes out (since this thread is half-dead D:)

upandaway

Whoa dang, I must have had a lot of White Forest points. It's still more or less full, just that a few characters are saying stuff like "aww I wanna go back". I was expecting it to be all wimp and empty after all this time.

Anyway it's back to training. I think I'm gonna do that Destiny Bond abuse set (tweaked for 5th gen), and then think up a nice doubles set.
I wish I hadn't thrown away that paper with all my Ditto's IVs....

Quacking

Frost_Ace said:
Woot! This is my first post on Gaf, I wanted to do it here since pokemon is so special to me <3

I hope to be around when the next pokemon game comes out (since this thread is half-dead D:)
Welcome here man!

thechemist

It me again guys lol, forgot to mention I also got a mareep from the dreamworld as well which is now a ampharos, however I have also caught a tynamo from the cave. What do you think is better to raise the tynamo and leave the ampharos or to stick with ampharos?

Thanks.

Rapstah

thechemist said:
It me again guys lol, forgot to mention I also got a mareep from the dreamworld as well which is now a ampharos, however I have also caught a tynamo from the cave. What do you think is better to raise the tynamo and leave the ampharos or to stick with ampharos?

Thanks.
Depends on what you want. Ampharos can be stronger in special attack while the eel evolutions are split between special and normal attack. Worth thinking about is also that the eel ones are immune to Ground and thus have no weaknesses.

I would go for whichever I preferred design-wise.

thechemist

Rapstah said:
Depends on what you want. Ampharos can be stronger in special attack while the eel evolutions are split between special and normal attack. Worth thinking about is also that the eel ones are immune to Ground and thus have no weaknesses.

I would go for whichever I preferred design-wise.

Cool I may stick with ampharos then due to time it takes for tynamo to evolve, thanks again.

Gruco

Banned
Completely random status update:

Pokedex: 636. Missing Ludicolo (need another water stone), Latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, plus a bunch of the events (all save Maphany, Darkrai, and Victini). I have Groudon on Silver, but I'll probably need to help my nephew finish Heart Gold for the other three Gen 3 legends.

Levels: In the process of getting final evolutions for all lines, I have managed to get Empoleon, Staraptor, Volcarona, and Krookodile up to level 100. The first two were already heavily leveled from Platinum, the latter two took on most of the postgame. I also have a Linoone and Smeargle that I use for pickup and catching respectively, but don't see a huge benefit from getting their levels much higher than they are right now.

Shinys: While Ditto farming in the Giant Chasm, I came across the first non-Gyarados shiny I've seen since my original Silver...Lunatone. Meh.

Dream World: 7400 points, so looking forward to expanding the selections a bit. Currently have the following females - Slopoke, Gligar, Bidoof, Krabby, Wingull. I won't consider this done until I have a female Tangela, Dragonite, Carvana, Poliwag, Natu, and Vulpix.

Battle Subway: Next major priority with the pokedex wrapping up. Operation: catch a shit ton of Dittos is proceeding smoothly. I'll probably end up going with pure rain abuse for my doubles team. Not sure about the singles team yet though. I only want to get a streak far enough for the trainer card, so I don't think I need to go for the kind of massive flash/setup teams that get the insanely long steaks. Although I really liked the idea of using a Ferrothorn with Leech Seed/Sub/Curse/Gyro Ball. I'll probably just end up going with that, a Thundurus to set the table, and a LO/4 attack Starmie to revenge.

Misc thoughts: While there wasn't anything as significant as the new types, held items, nature, abilities, EV distribution, and Physical/Special split the previous generations gave us, the big changes from gen 5 - infinite TMs and the experience curve - have succeeded in making this MUCH more playable than any other previous generation. In Platinum I got bored well before this point. Now I am still going strong and plan to get at least the silver card, and make a few decent teams. I think this gen deserves a lot of credit for changing the game in more subtle, beneficial ways (balancing the doubles battles and introducing the new battle types is also really cool) that effect the overall experience more so than any type of dramatic way of rethinking the game.

upandaway

Gruco said:
Battle Subway: Next major priority with the pokedex wrapping up. Operation: catch a shit ton of Dittos is proceeding smoothly. I'll probably end up going with pure rain abuse for my doubles team. Not sure about the singles team yet though. I only want to get a streak far enough for the trainer card, so I don't think I need to go for the kind of massive flash/setup teams that get the insanely long steaks. Although I really liked the idea of using a Ferrothorn with Leech Seed/Sub/Curse/Gyro Ball. I'll probably just end up going with that, a Thundurus to set the table, and a LO/4 attack Starmie to revenge.
I've been using that Ferrothorn and Starmie (though after a while I switched to Specs because I just wasn't switching attacks enough), only with Volcarona. I didn't get a card yet but that's mostly because I'm such a moron sometimes. Every time I lose it's because of like 10 misplays in a row.

I also thought about using Thundurus but I really liked the idea of Ferrothorn setting up against physicals, Volcarona setting up against specials, and Stamie as lead disposing of anyone those two can't set up against (I still haven't encountered a team that one of the 3 can't deal with as long as I play them right).

Wichu

Anth0ny said:
just did a full game run of Pokemon Yellow in 1 hour and 40 minutes (speed up, 3:47 game time). This video teaches you all the tricks. You can murder Pokemon Yellow when you start exploiting trainer fly and all the other glitches.

I need to get out more.
1:40? Is that it?
Beating Pokémon Yellow in 1 minute 10 seconds (without speedup). The guy intentionally resets while saving in order to mess up the save data; messing around with that screws up the memory and lets him go straight to the post-game credits.

blamite

So I just started messing around with the Dream World since I got my 3DS, and oh my god this sucks. I'e gotten stuck on a loading screen about 3 times. I tried to take the bridge the dream island and got kicked out due to "an unexpected error"
I went back, found a Nidoran, and played it's little flying minigame, finished it, and got kicked out due to the same error.
I just tried a third time, got a Farfetched, went on, found a Kanghaskan, finished it's game, and I got stuck on the loading screen back to the forest.
Is this always so bad, or am I just super unlucky? Could the fact that I'm using Firefox be a problem? I'd really like to get this to work but I just can't so far.

clemenx

Banned
blamite said:
So I just started messing around with the Dream World since I got my 3DS, and oh my god this sucks. I'e gotten stuck on a loading screen about 3 times. I tried to take the bridge the dream island and got kicked out due to "an unexpected error"
I went back, found a Nidoran, and played it's little flying minigame, finished it, and got kicked out due to the same error.
I just tried a third time, got a Farfetched, went on, found a Kanghaskan, finished it's game, and I got stuck on the loading screen back to the forest.
Is this always so bad, or am I just super unlucky? Could the fact that I'm using Firefox be a problem? I'd really like to get this to work but I just can't so far.
I've never had any problems with the server kicking me out, but it does get pretty slow sometimes. I use Chrome, for what it's worth.

Also on the DW topic. Any advice to gain more dream points? I've given up on trying to water people's berries, every garden I find is already watered, it gets annoying. That's 200 points less per day.

Rapstah

blamite said:
I have never had an error through Firefox. Keep in mind that that minigame you just played is one of the four or five that exist, and you will be playing it a fucking load in the future. Several times every day.

Shinx wants you to scoop ice cream!

Shinx wants you to enter the Sky Race!

Shinx wants you to scoop ice cream!

Boogiepop

What's the deal with Dream Points and minigames? Like, is there a cutoff to how much you can get from them per day or anything?

Mank said:
What's the deal with Dream Points and minigames? Like, is there a cutoff to how much you can get from them per day or anything?
You're given a certain amount of Watering Can uses and forest/sea/sky visits every 24 hours. You basically make do with getting as many points as that allows.

Firestorm

I think I'm going to force myself to play Pokemon on the plane and finish it. Only 10 days until VGC Last Chance Qualifier and I don't have a single Pokemon ;_; And to think I thought I'd have a team before the GAF tournament...

MicH

What happened with the WiFi events for US and Europe? Have we gotten anything since the release - Victini?

clemenx

Banned
Fuck IVs man, and fuck the easy calculators. I just want a cool Zoroark, and the motherfucker has to have 2 speed IVs while having 31 in HP and Sp. Atk and 25+ in the other stats. Fuck this, I was happier when I didn't know about IVs, I'll just choice scarf that bastard.

Done(forever) with school this week! I'm finally gonna start playing Black this weekend :D

The last Pokemon game I played was back when the original Silver came out. I'm probably still going to pick up Soul Silver when I beat Black for the memories.

Also is anyone else getting the B&W toys from McDs? I feel weird ordering a happy meal, but I just cant help myself!

upandaway

clemenx said:
Fuck IVs man, and fuck the easy calculators. I just want a cool Zoroark, and the motherfucker has to have 2 speed IVs while having 31 in HP and Sp. Atk and 25+ in the other stats. Fuck this, I was happier when I didn't know about IVs, I'll just choice scarf that bastard.
Did you try that thing with passing down the IVs to the child? Use this one with it!

clemenx

Banned
Hehehe, I hadn't noticed Golurk could learn fly until I saw this today.

a0691456c31c44de1b35fbba028fced4-d3iigma.png

N4Us

There any way to set private battle rules, or is it either free for all and flat set? Wanted auto-lvl50 matches with 6v6 earlier but it didnt happen.

N4Us said:
There any way to set private battle rules, or is it either free for all and flat set? Wanted auto-lvl50 matches with 6v6 earlier but it didnt happen.
Nope, that's one feature that's worse about B/W. You'll have to make do with 3v3 auto-level 50 or level them up manually and then do 6v6 free for all. The thought of having to level up my team manually is one of the things that's made me hesitant to build up an OU singles team this gen.

clemenx

Banned
Reticent Rhino said:
Nope, that's one feature that's worse about B/W. You'll have to make do with 3v3 auto-level 50 or level them up manually and then do 6v6 free for all. The thought of having to level up my team manually is one of the things that's made me hesitant to build up an OU singles team this gen.
Is there any explanation on why did they do this? I bought this game pretty much on a media blackout and this really broke my heart.
Would the option of autolevel 6v6 have hurt? Taking away features like that really makes no sense.

goober

So uh, I've decided to come back to Pokemon after like a 10+ year hiatus. I used to think I was the master at Pokemon Red when I would just use brute force to defeat my opponents.

Le sigh.

Any tips for me? Is it still possible for me to get the hang of it with so many more types?

goober said:
So uh, I've decided to come back to Pokemon after like a 10+ year hiatus. I used to think I was the master at Pokemon Red when I would just use brute force to defeat my opponents.

Le sigh.

Any tips for me? Is it still possible for me to get the hang of it with so many more types?
Well, it's not so difficult, really. Only two more types (Steel and Dark, from Gold/Silver), and a whole bunch more moves, and abilities, and other stuff...

If you are looking for a smooth(ish) transition from Red/Blue, play HeartGold/SoulSilver. Being remakes of Gold/Silver, they are the ideal way to enjoy the 'sequel' to RBY.

If you want the absolute newest experience, then play Black/White. It's a fairly focused experience, with 150+ new Pokémon to deal with during the main storyline, and the rest only getting involved after you beat the game the first time. Also, infinite TMs are a fairly big plus.

As for knowing how moves work and all that - just go with the flow. Brute-forcing through the game is still possible, though not necessary. Just catch what you want, making sure to include the necessary ones (in BW, you'll only need the Cut HM once, and none of the others, to complete the game), and just go.

goober

Thanks for the tips. Would it still be possible for me to do well in online battles? It seems to me that there's an entirely different strategy involved.

upandaway

Pokemon's online component isn't all that different from other competitive games. There are good players, bad players and insanely good players. And their level is in partly based on how much time they put into the game.

But yeah competitive battling is different from single player in that it involves breeding (which single player doesn't really), and a whole lot of switching and counter-switching. For example in single player the move Pursuit is flat out useless, but between humans, it could really smack someone in the face. Hard.

Rapstah

Stealth Rock and all its derivative moves are good examples of MP-only ones too. I'd never even seen any of them in any game until a random wild Roggenrola used it in some cave three months ago and then it turns out they're the staple of preventing people from switching in battles.

Top Bottom