• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

clemenx

Banned
Thanks for the tips. Would it still be possible for me to do well in online battles? It seems to me that there's an entirely different strategy involved.
Probably not tbh, we're a dedicated bunch, lol! You could probably do well on some random matchups but I suggest reading at least the basic if you think you'd have fun playing pokemon, it's worth getting into it :D

I'm breezing through the battle subway at the moment, basically just with Ferrothorn and Blissey. If I ever saw this on random matchup I'd ragequit, lol I hate walls very much. My 3rd poke is Starmie, but I'm not sure with it, a bit too frail but I don't use it too much. I live in fear of a Metagross appearing as the only thing I have to kill it is Blissey's fire blast which isn't too powerful, any suggestions on other options for my 3rd Poke?

Rapstah

clemenx said:
Probably not tbh, we're a dedicated bunch, lol! You could probably do well on some random matchups but I suggest reading at least the basic if you think you'd have fun playing pokemon, it's worth getting into it :D

I'm breezing through the battle subway at the moment, basically just with Ferrothorn and Blissey. If I ever saw this on random matchup I'd ragequit, lol I hate walls very much. My 3rd poke is Starmie, but I'm not sure with it, a bit too frail but I don't use it too much. I live in fear of a Metagross appearing as the only thing I have to kill it is Blissey's fire blast which isn't too powerful, any suggestions on other options for my 3rd Poke?
I'd pick up Rotom-A for the third spot but that may be a little too defensive considering that your other two are pretty much the most defensive Pokémon in the game :p

Fewr

NubInaTub said:
Just a random question, but would there be any way for me to get an arceus somehow?
I can only think of using the program ShinyDTS to send yourself a legitimate Arceus.

Frost_Ace

Anyone could trade me a spare female poliwag or vulpix from the dream world? I have these strong females form the dream world:

Gligar
shinx
tangela
slowpoke
nidoran

Gonna get the games tomorow, I'm getting white and my brother black. We'll have something to play while on the plane to Greece and in Greece when it's a tad boring.

upandaway

Rapstah said:
How can you not hate "find a Pokémon in the maze" more? It's so fucking random and takes ages.
Blitz through the whole map as fast as possible. When you see the hidden item glitter, pick it up, and click on moving bushes in the 2 closest areas to that one (2 from either side).

This pretty much guarantees you'll finish with enough points for the special move. Really easy and probably the fastest minigame.

upandaway said:
Blitz through the whole map as fast as possible. When you see the hidden item glitter, pick it up, and click on moving bushes in the 2 closest areas to that one (2 from either side).

This pretty much guarantees you'll finish with enough points for the special move. Really easy and probably the fastest minigame.

Pretty much this. I love it when the item is on the other side of the starting position. Go all the way around to find it.

The Wailord one is pretty terrible as well, but I sometimes just get 15 and mail it in the rest of the way.

The ice cream one requires timing (to get the recommended size) and precision (so it doesn't fall off). My favourite part was when my last scoop tumbled off and knocked almost the entire stack over. Just kept enough to reach the target line (from 100+ to 20 cm). :lol

Korosenai

Just found out that you can apparently get a ton of pokemon from the older generations in the white forest.... too bad I bought black :(

clemenx

Banned
If anyone is bored enough and wants to see the 1st battle video I've uploaded, this was a fun battle, absolute nail bitter in random wifi, the code is 51-76534-85695 :)

Basically, Ferrothorn is the greatest Pokemon ever. I had insane luck but oh well.

N4Us

Of all the Pokes in the world, I never thought I'd get owned by my friend's Arbok today. Coil is ridiculous on that guy.

clemenx said:
The password for the C-Gear is PikachuCGear. No joke!

Haha awesome, just got it. Thanks. For some reason I am no longer able to qualify for the eevee promotion. oh well. That and the Munna cgear are the only things I see in promotions that I am missing.

Gruco

Banned
Female Dream World Dratini! Now I just need Vulpix, Poliwag, and maybe Tangela or Carvanha or Natu and I can finally say good riddance to ridiculous minigames until the events start coming stateside again.

Busaiku

So after accessing Dream World for the first time in almost 2 months, I find out that I didn't get the Eevee evolution I wasted my time on that accursed game for (Leafeon).
I hate Dream World so much.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Are the levels in Wi-Fi friend battles fixed like Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, or are the same level as the Pokémon have?
I mean, for example, you have a team of Pokémon in level 70 to 80, if you connect to Wi-Fi with someone in your Friend Pal list, will have level 50/100 or they keep their levels?

Frost_Ace

TyRaNtM said:
Are the levels in Wi-Fi friend battles fixed like Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, or are the same level as the Pokémon have?
I mean, for example, you have a team of Pokémon in level 70 to 80, if you connect to Wi-Fi with someone in your Friend Pal list, will have level 50/100 or they keep their levels?
you can decide to keep all pokemons at their levels or auto-leveling to 50, if you decide the latter you can only do 3vs3 though D: pretty lame.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Frost_Ace said:
you can decide to keep all pokemons at their levels or auto-leveling to 50, if you decide the latter you can only do 3vs3 though D: pretty lame.

Oh.. that's sucks.. But at least the auto-leveling still in.
So, this also force to level up to 100 if you want 6vs6.
And about that, the Pokémon are shown like in random wifi battle or unknown (can't see the rival Pokémon before battle)?

Frost_Ace

TyRaNtM said:
Oh.. that's sucks.. But at least the auto-leveling still in.
So, this also force to level up to 100 if you want 6vs6.
And about that, the Pokémon are shown like in random wifi battle or unknown (can't see the rival Pokémon before battle)?
I think you always see them but I may be wrong.

clemenx

Banned
Perhaps, I'll have some luck here. Can anyone breed me a male Timburr with Drain Punch and Mach Punch? Don't have access to the previous versions for the Hitmonchan D:
Also a Deino with Dark Pulse if possible. Thanks a lot!

Frost_Ace

clemenx said:
Perhaps, I'll have some luck here. Can anyone breed me a male Timburr with Drain Punch and Mach Punch? Don't have access to the previous versions for the Hitmonchan D:
Also a Deino with Dark Pulse if possible. Thanks a lot!
I'll do it! I'll PM you when it's ready :D

Schmitty said:
Is NA getting any events anytime soon?
There is still no news, but jap didn't get them either, so it's unlikely for now D:

Hi! So I'm pretty newish to Pokemon and I was wondering of anyone was willing to maybe kick down a pokemon I can't get in the black version :)

I'm just about to go for my second badge, but I have a friend who is playing white simultaneously and when we battle for the first time I'd like to surprise him with something he doesn't expect haha

Anyhow, any good Samaritans out there?

Frost_Ace

Incitemaybe said:
Hi! So I'm pretty newish to Pokemon and I was wondering of anyone was willing to maybe kick down a pokemon I can't get in the black version :)

I'm just about to go for my second badge, but I have a friend who is playing white simultaneously and when we battle for the first time I'd like to surprise him with something he doesn't expect haha

Anyhow, any good Samaritans out there?
I can give you a solosis if you want :D
it's pretty much the best black exclusive.

Rapstah

While we're at it, does anyone with White have any Rufflets for giveaway? I've been locked into Black exclusives from when I got the game, but I figured out that using my phone as an internet sharing device lets me trade in HGSS, which should also solve my troubles in Black. Anyone with a Rufflet? I can give you that ridicolous Black counterpart or a baby Snivy.

Fake edit: I was talking about Vullaby.

Spr_5b_629.png

Dumb bastard.

Frost_Ace

Rapstah said:
While we're at it, does anyone with White have any Rufflets for giveaway? I've been locked into Black exclusives from when I got the game, but I figured out that using my phone as an internet sharing device lets me trade in HGSS, which should also solve my troubles in Black. Anyone with a Rufflet? I can give you that ridicolous Black counterpart or a baby Snivy.

Fake edit: I was talking about Vullaby.

Spr_5b_629.png

Dumb bastard.
I can give you the rufflet just let me know when you're online via PM =)

Rapstah

Why is my "online" part of the C-Gear, the blue blobs, glowing green? Just as I was writing this it switched to glowing red.

OMG Aero

Rapstah said:
Why is my "online" part of the C-Gear, the blue blobs, glowing green? Just as I was writing this it switched to glowing red.
I think it glows green if there is a wireless connection it can go online with and red if there isn't one there.

Rapstah

OMG Aero said:
I think it glows green if there is a wireless connection it can go online with and red if there isn't one there.
That actually seems to be the case as it went red when I turned off my internet sharing phone. Good to know. I could never trade person-to-person behind my WPA access point, and that never made the C-Gear turn green, although I got the connection bars.

Hey guys, hate to be a bother, but I decided to start up a new team and realized.. I didn't move over all my dittos and don't have a second DS with me at the moment.

Anyone by chance have a Jolly ditto or Archen? No worries if not lol,

Also I really hate that you can't transfer items... I really don't feel like racking up BP all over again.

MooMoo

So this is where the Pokemon Black/White thread went to. Anyways, I just finished the game (well, beat the Elite 4 for the first time) and just wanted to give my impressions. Unlike previous Pokemon games where I could just play hour after hour, I had to play this game in short bursts just to tolerate playing it. I didn't find the musical score as a whole nearly as nice or catchy as previous musical renditions and while I liked the idea of starting over with an entirely new set of Pokemon to catch, a lot of them just didn't seem "cool" enough to use. Of course, there's the post game stuff which should be nice, but unless I'm missing something this new experience system makes it ridiculously hard to train my team for the second E4/Champion battles. And of course, the story was a joke. I mean, of course all the Pokemon games had joke storylines, but at least in the older versions they were kept to a simplistic minimal. In Black/White they tried to make it more coherent which ended up falling flat and irritated me more than anything.

As for the positives, I did like the fact that TMs could be reused. I also loved the end E4-legendary pokemon-N-Ghetsis battle sequence. It reminded me of RPG end boss battles (the whole multipart battles) which I really liked. I also enjoyed the creativity of the E4 and gym leader buildings. The solstice system was also nice, but I think it would be better if the seasons changed more frequently.

As for other impressions, I actually found the E4 to be harder than N/Ghetsis. I think the primary reason was because they had Dark/Ghost/Psychic as three-fourths of the E4, which totally raped my team. I have to say though, 3-4 Dragon Dances + Dragon Claw is sort of OP. I never understood the entralink thing. I tried it with my cousin but I was just confused the first time around.

All in all, I found this game to be fairly average. I know I listed a lot more negatives than positives, but at heart it's still a Pokemon game and it's pretty hard to screw up the basic formula. I'm still waiting for the day where they make an enormous overhaul to the system, but I have my doubts as to when that day will actually come.

If there's anything I should really do/explore in this game, feel free to mention it.

Rapstah

MooMoo said:
but unless I'm missing something this new experience system makes it ridiculously hard to train my team for the second E4/Champion battles.
What are you talking about here? The only change I'm aware of is that effort points are applied after the battle is over rather than upon levelling up, which really makes training easier if anything.

MooMoo

Rapstah said:
What are you talking about here? The only change I'm aware of is that effort points are applied after the battle is over rather than upon levelling up, which really makes training easier if anything.
I don't know, I recall reading somewhere that the larger the level gap between your Pokemon and the Pokemon you're battling, the less experience you get. For example: You're facing a level 10 wild Pokemon. You have two Pokemon in your team: one that's level 11 and one that's level 15. Your level 11 Pokemon will get more experience from that level 10 wild Pokemon than your level 15 Pokemon. Maybe I've been misinformed though.

Edit: Hm, reading that again, I must have had a brainfart. Meant to say that pre-E4 training was difficult, not post.

Frost_Ace

I know I already asked but I'll do it again, does anybody have a spare female vulpix/poliwag/dratini from the dream world? there is a tournamente in my area and I need those pokes :/

Rapstah

Do English (EU) and English (US) count as two regions for Masuda Method intents and how can I tell if my Pokémon is from the US version if so?

OMG Aero

Rapstah said:
Do English (EU) and English (US) count as two regions for Masuda Method intents and how can I tell if my Pokémon is from the US version if so?
I'm pretty sure it goes by the actual text language, so since both of them are English it doesn't count.

Top Bottom