• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Dr. Chaos

Banned
This is going to be the first Pokemon game I've played in years.

I stopped at Silver, I was still enjoying the series but at the time there was no online and well, I didn't have alot of friends that shared my excitement for it despite the craze at the time.

I thought about starting where I left off and going for the third and fourth gen entries before stepping into this but I'm really curious about Black and White and don't want to burn myself out before I get to it.

Looks like a good installment to come back to anyway. Fresh start with alot of all new weird animals to hold captive in tiny balls.

Frost_Ace

YES. YES.

look at what I hachted

DQVzQ.png

my first RNG'd shiny <3

upandaway

Dr. Chaos said:
This is going to be the first Pokemon game I've played in years.

I stopped at Silver, I was still enjoying the series but at the time there was no online and well, I didn't have alot of friends that shared my excitement for it despite the craze at the time.

I thought about starting where I left off and going for the third and fourth gen entries before stepping into this but I'm really curious about Black and White and don't want to burn myself out before I get to it.

Looks like a good installment to come back to anyway. Fresh start with alot of all new weird animals to hold captive in tiny balls.
Don't bother with the third gen. There's like 95% chance it'll be remade in the close future. If you want to get caught up on Pokemon, Platinum will be good on its own.

Rapstah

Frost_Ace said:
I RNG'd it so 2 eggs ;P
I haven't actually checked the methods since Emerald, but does it still involve counting frames and steps and such?

EDIT: I'd start with Platinum if I could choose my first new game now. It's practically unplayable after getting used to B/W, getting into HeartGold was difficult enough for me and that's noticably faster than Platinum in my experience (played a little of my brother's Plat).

N4Us

Rapstah said:
EDIT: I'd start with Platinum if I could choose my first new game now. It's practically unplayable after getting used to B/W, getting into HeartGold was difficult enough for me and that's noticably faster than Platinum in my experience (played a little of my brother's Plat).

I replayed Heart Gold to get some Pokemon and I noticed the text was really slow. I was hoping to change it faster but sure enough, it was already on fastest speed.

When I went back to Black the text was like a speeding rocket in comparison.

Rapstah

N4Us said:
I replayed Heart Gold to get some Pokemon and I noticed the text was really slow. I was hoping to change it faster but sure enough, it was already on fastest speed.

When I went back to Black the text was like a speeding rocket in comparison.
60 FPS battles with full animation were a miracle for my eyes upon switching back, it felt so good for approximately four battles and then I got used to it.

N4Us

Wow, so Tornadus can respawn? I'm pretty sure I KO'd it a long time back, but last night it appeared in the wild again to my surprise and I caught it. I thought it disappeared after getting knocked out.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Got Black, picked Snivy, catching everything that moves.

I did try a random wi-fi battle. I assumed I would be paired with another low level player but instead I got massacred by a LV50 Porygon-Z. I struggled valiantly against God's twisted design but ultimately lost. Took that as a sign that I should probably stay the hell away from online until the main game is over.

I give the visuals of this series crap from time to time but this is actually a pretty good looking good game.

Dr. Chaos said:
I did try a random wi-fi battle. I assumed I would be paired with another low level player but instead I got massacred by a LV50 Porygon-Z. I struggled valiantly against God's twisted design but ultimately lost. Took that as a sign that I should probably stay the hell away from online until the main game is over.
Everyone on Wi-Fi will be at least lv. 50, yeah. Training to that level after the main game is very easy, don't worry.

BDCasbox

Neo Member
Really considering buying the Black DSI bundle since I want to get the other game so I can play through the plot at will (without destroying my white save) and my old DSi is getting a wonky R-button. Already own a 3DS but I like having a system exclusively for DS games...hmmm...

DryvBy

Okay, I need some major help with continuing the game. I'm stuck
finding the sages (after you beat the game)
. Anyone know where to go to find them all?

clemenx

Banned
Someone just trolled me with a Lvl 1 Cotonee and a Lvl 1 Pineco on random Wi-Fi -_-

Leech Seed prankster is the spawn of satan.

Rapstah

clemenx said:
Someone just trolled me with a Lvl 1 Cotonee and a Lvl 1 Pineco on random Wi-Fi -_-

Leech Seed prankster is the spawn of satan.
The worse setup in theory is Worry Seeding a Shedinja and swapping Insomnia with Sturdy after that. If it were then paralyzed I don't think it could be hurt since Sturdy would think every hit was the first. I guess no one goes for these ridicolous theory things in doubles though.

clemenx

Banned
Lol, that Shedinja setup sounds awesome. I actually was messing around with a Moody Bibarel before the Cottonee wrecked me so I guess there's some karma in this game =P

I actually liked the Sturdy change, the less useless abilities we have, the better I think. I have not played competitively that much this gen so, any Pokes where sturdy really is broken? (ignoring gimmicky stuff like the lvl 1 Pineco) The only problem I've had with it was a Carracosta shell smashing on me in the Battle Subway.

Frost_Ace

clemenx said:
Lol, that Shedinja setup sounds awesome. I actually was messing around with a Moody Bibarel before the Cottonee wrecked me so I guess there's some karma in this game =P

I actually liked the Sturdy change, the less useless abilities we have, the better I think. I have not played competitively that much this gen so, any Pokes where sturdy really is broken? (ignoring gimmicky stuff like the lvl 1 Pineco) The only problem I've had with it was a Carracosta shell smashing on me in the Battle Subway.
The only ones I can think of are skarmory (gets a free turn to setup spikes) and lv1 Aron (annoying and cheap).

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I think I might be slightly obsessed with Trubbish now.

On the other hand, his evolution is the most absolutely terrifying thing I've ever seen.

Slermy

Rapstah said:
The worse setup in theory is Worry Seeding a Shedinja and swapping Insomnia with Sturdy after that. If it were then paralyzed I don't think it could be hurt since Sturdy would think every hit was the first. I guess no one goes for these ridicolous theory things in doubles though.

Wouldn't burning or poisoning the target break that?

Rapstah

Slermy said:
Wouldn't burning or poisoning the target break that?
I'm bad at this, but would burning or poisoning, or any status, work on it if it had paralysis already? And would burn or poison, both of which cause less than 50% of the target's total HP every turn, do anything against a Pokémon with 1 max HP? Are they hard-coded always to do 1 or more damage?

Confusion would probably fuck it over though.

OMG Aero

Rapstah said:
I'm bad at this, but would burning or poisoning, or any status, work on it if it had paralysis already? And would burn or poison, both of which cause less than 50% of the target's total HP every turn, do anything against a Pokémon with 1 max HP? Are they hard-coded always to do 1 or more damage?

Shedinja can be killed in one turn by burn and poison but it can't get those status conditions if paralysed, so a sturdy paralysed Shedinja could only be killed by confusion, weather or other weird things like recoil or entry hazards.

Another fun thing you can do with Shedinja in double battles is have a Pokemon use soak on it to change it into a water type and give it only electric and grass weaknesses, then bring out a Pokemon with lightning rod along side it and you now have a wonder guard Pokemon whose only weakness is grass moves.

Firestorm

Rapstah said:
Doubles' most popular metagame is VGC. This year's VGC didn't allow any Pokemon before Gen 5. Even if it was allowed, in last year's metagame for example Abomasnow was the single most popular Pokemon (ahead of Kyogre by a hair I would say) making Shedinja very risky.

Slermy

OMG Aero said:
Rapstah said:

Shedinja can be killed in one turn by burn and poison but it can't get those status conditions if paralysed, so a sturdy paralysed Shedinja could only be killed by confusion, weather or other weird things like recoil or entry hazards.

Another fun thing you can do with Shedinja in double battles is have a Pokemon use soak on it to change it into a water type and give it only electric and grass weaknesses, then bring out a Pokemon with lightning rod along side it and you now have a wonder guard Pokemon whose only weakness is grass moves.

Ah, gotcha, I missed the Paralyze aspect of the setup.

Interesting tactic that you brought up as well Aero.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This thread certainly moved along.

Anyone wanna update me on the current events so I can update the OP?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I do need an excuse to get back into the game, I think I had one of my team tourney ready then I was banned so I said screw it. :p

JVIDICAN

Looks like some people are interested. Awesome! :D

Something like a GAF Pokemon league would be pretty sweet too, but it's probably a little too late for that now.. ;.;

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JVIDICAN said:
Looks like some people are interested. Awesome! :D

Something like a GAF Pokemon league would be pretty sweet too, but it's probably a little too late for that now.. ;.;

It didn't exactly work the last time it happened... or maybe it did and I'm sour because I lost every match. T_T

OMG Aero

I might enter a tourney if you do a new one. I couldn't enter the last one because I was literally too busy to pick Pokemon to use and train them, but I have enough free time to do that now.
What format would it be? Singles/doubles? Only 5th gen Pokemon?

Schmitty

I'll play if we have a division of people who don't IV train and all that junk. I just can't dedicate the time to do that.

Top Bottom