• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I believe he means if you have a team with many specific weaknesses, the Subway will counter. ie; your Tyranitar, Heatran, Weavile team will be facing an onslaught of Fighting (and Ground) moves.

upandaway

EvilMario said:
I believe he means if you have a team with many specific weaknesses, the Subway will counter. ie; your Tyranitar, Heatran, Weavile team will be facing an onslaught of Fighting (and Ground) moves.
Really? Does it work like that?

That's so reassuring. It would be really easy to take advantage of that.

I don't know if it's deliberate, but have enough random teams and they'll come up with one that counters yours perfectly.

Besides, I always thought people lost due to incredibly bad luck, like Quick Claw activating three turns in a row, 95% acc. moves missing twice, OHKO moves hitting, etc.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
Not even. If your team has ONE specific weakness they'll wind up using it ._. One of those "Ok, this can take on anything except for [pokemon] with [move]. And that's what'll pop up.

Devious game.

clemenx

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
I don't know if it's deliberate, but have enough random teams and they'll come up with one that counters yours perfectly.

Besides, I always thought people lost due to incredibly bad luck, like Quick Claw activating three turns in a row, 95% acc. moves missing twice, OHKO moves hitting, etc.

True, but IMO the amount of stupid bullshit like that the AI does has gone down greatly this gen compared to gen IV. It's maybe why I love the battle subway so much, I think they did a great job in making it competitive and I have played it more than Battle Tower already. The worst thing now would be getting crittical hits in a row against, but BS items and OHKO moves are pretty much gone, I think.

The only place I've been hit with a OHKO was in Random Wifi, a Haxorus that used guillotine on me -_- I thought real people wouldn't use that stuff, even if they aren't into competitive play... just lame.

Firestorm

I know a kid who used Fissure at VGC.
He got one off. The animation played. I just turned my head and saw it on the TV and said "Wait, was that Fissure?"

It was and it was glorious. It was a Stunfisk on a Haxorus iirc which made it even better.

Ondore

Firestorm said:
It was and it was glorious. It was a Stunfisk on a Haxorus iirc which made it even better.

That is some high quality trolling right there.

Has Ray posted any warstories from the finals yet? Or is it best to look online for the videos?

Ondore said:

Has Ray posted any warstories from the finals yet? Or is it best to look online for the videos?
The one that Firestorm is referring to can be seen here.
Quality isn't the greatest though.

Firestorm

Ondore said:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16651557

That's the really blurry video from the livestream with some commentary. Kinda nice to at least fast forward to the end where everyone gets up to storm the stage and carry Ray off.

If you wanna see a hilarious match for reasons uncontrollable by any player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHp0P5Xbpz0

Oh luck and Pokemon. You can kinda see my hand streaming the match on an iPhone at one point.

I've been pretty out of the Pokemon loop for a long time (the last title I played was Red). I picked up Black and White (got them for really cheap) and figured I'd trade the 2 other starters to my main game. It occurred to me that traded Pokemon used to level faster, but be weaker. Is that still the case?

And if the experience bonus does exist, if I trade my main starting Pokemon, then trade back, will the bonus experience apply even on the trade back?

MisterAnderson said:
I've been pretty out of the Pokemon loop for a long time (the last title I played was Red). I picked up Black and White (got them for really cheap) and figured I'd trade the 2 other starters to my main game. It occurred to me that traded Pokemon used to level faster, but be weaker. Is that still the case?

And if the experience bonus does exist, if I trade my main starting Pokemon, then trade back, will the bonus experience apply even on the trade back?
I don't know about being weaker, but yes, the experience bonus does exist. However, if you were to trade your starter and then have it traded back like you suggested, it would not gain the experience bonus because the OT (original trainer) would be the same.

Also keep in mind that if someone trades you a pokemon and it levels up too quickly it may not obey you if you don't have sufficient badges. (i just assumed you forgot about that, don't mean to spell everything out for you)

Aad

Andrex and I:

jdu9nFsr6.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
MisterAnderson said:

While you may want the other starters, you can wait on obtaining them. Experience and leveling is really easy to come by in this game. There's a new EXP formula and they even give you a Lucky Egg very easily.

Every Pokemon has a Train ID, so if you trade your starter back to yourself, you won't gain the bonus (as said above).

Wichu

Firestorm said:
I know a kid who used Fissure at VGC.
He got one off. The animation played. I just turned my head and saw it on the TV and said "Wait, was that Fissure?"

Wasn't there someone using Sheer Cold Suicune at Worlds last year? Apparently he pulled off 4 Sheer Colds in a row (3 in one battle, then one at the beginning of the next).

Also, agreed that losing in the Battle Subway is completely down to luck. I lost one time by hurting myself in confusion 5 times in a row :/

I guess using my in-game team doesn't help; I don't have any good Pokemon on my game at the moment...

Firestorm

Wichu said:
Wasn't there someone using Sheer Cold Suicune at Worlds last year? Apparently he pulled off 4 Sheer Colds in a row (3 in one battle, then one at the beginning of the next).

Also, agreed that losing in the Battle Subway is completely down to luck. I lost one time by hurting myself in confusion 5 times in a row :/

I guess using my in-game team doesn't help; I don't have any good Pokemon on my game at the moment...
The Japanese National Champion last year used a Sheer Cold Suicune last year. I think it was Sheer Cold / Rest / Sleep Talk / Surf or something like that. He used it again but didn't make it past the swiss round of Worlds though.

I'm not sure if DP talk is fine here or not, well better than bumping that thread I guess.

Anyhoo, does anyone want to trade me a Male Pikachu/Raichu (or any in a Pikachu-compatible egg group) with really high or even max IVs?

And, does anyone have a male foreign Pokemon that can breed with a female Hoothoot? I'd love to have a Shiny Noctowl (gee, I wonder why :p). Same goes for the foreign Pokemon for IVs as well, but beggers can't be choosers. :p

I got what I need for a great Pikachu, but having one that's really great in IVs would make breeding one for myself would be much easier. I got a female with the nature I need and 2 Light Balls (first Pikachu caught had it lol).

I have Diamond specifically BTW.

Wichu

Hero of Legend said:
Anyhoo, does anyone want to trade me a Male Pikachu/Raichu (or any in a Pikachu-compatible egg group) with really high or even max IVs?
I have a bunch of male Timid 31/10/30/31/31/31 Pichu (that I bred/cloned in Emerald) with Wish and Volt Tackle bred on that I could give you. I'm not asking for anything valuable in exchange (it being a clone).

Wichu said:
I have a bunch of male Timid 31/10/30/31/31/31 Pichu (that I bred/cloned in Emerald) with Wish and Volt Tackle bred on that I could give you. I'm not asking for anything valuable in exchange (it being a clone).

Hmm, sounds good to me. :)

Any chance of you evolving the best one you're willing to give away first? As I'm sure you have the means of quickly evolving Pichu with massages and whatnot, I'm still relitavely early on in the game.

Many thanks. :)

Wichu

Hero of Legend said:
Hmm, sounds good to me. :)

Any chance of you evolving the best one you're willing to give away first? As I'm sure you have the means of quickly evolving Pichu with massages and whatnot, I'm still relitavely early on in the game.

Many thanks. :)
Actually, there's a slight problem (maybe an understatement). I've just remembered my router uses WPA, so I can't go on Wi-Fi on 4th gen games any more :S

balddemon

Banned
Is there a way for me to keep my event Celebi and be able to start a new game on my Black cart? Or should I just buy White? I'd much rather wait for Gray, but I just read an article that said there will be no Pokemon Gray.

Firestorm

balddemon said:
Is there a way for me to keep my event Celebi and be able to start a new game on my Black cart? Or should I just buy White? I'd much rather wait for Gray, but I just read an article that said there will be no Pokemon Gray.
Trade to someone else (like on GAF), and grab it back once you're able to trade in your new game.

balddemon

Banned
Forgot to mention, theres a ribbon that makes it untradeable (edit: but only on the GTS). So I guess I cannot trade it :( ah well I'll just continue the game and level up pokes. There's still a whole lot I haven't done.

Aad

Anyone up for a quick trade?

3482 1773 8364

These are what I need.

Kanto
Code:
#125	Electabuzz
#151	Mew

Johto
Code:
#158	Totodile
#159	Croconaw
#160	Feraligatr
#183	Marill
#184	Azumarill
#186	Politoaed
#190	Aipom
#196	Espeon
#197	Umbreon
#199	Slowking
#201	Unown
#202	Wobbuffet
#203	Girafarig
#204	Pineco
#205	Forretress
#208	Steelix
#209	Snubbull
#210	Granbull
#211	Qwilfish
#212	Scizor
#216	Teddiursa
#217	Ursaring
#218	Slugma
#219	Magcargo	
#226	Mantine
#228	Houndour
#229	Houndoom
#230	Kingdra
#235	Smeargle	
#237	Hitmontop
#238	Smoochum
#239	Elekid
#240	Magby
#241	Miltank
#242	Blissey
#243	Raikou
#244	Entei
#246	Larvitar
#247	Pupitar
#250	Ho-Oh
#251	Celebi

From the "least favourite game in your favourite series" thread:

Now, I know what people are going to say: RSE had water routes, bland designs etc. I know all that and very much agree. It wasn't the setting, the 'mons, the music or the story (lol) in BW that I had an issue with. In fact, all of those things were great. It was the antiquated gameplay mechanics and specifically the fact that not enough had changed between DPPt/HGSS and BW. The little tweaks they made, like having the TMs be infinitely reusable were a step in the right direction, but they didn't go anywhere near far enough. Why, 15 years later, do we still have HMs? Why are battles still so slow? Why make the player go through all the song and dance of making a 'mon forget and learn moves rather than having the four "in-battle" moves selectable from a list of moves learned (and learnable via TM) thus far? Why can't I drag/drop my mons in and out of my team and organise my boxes on the same screen? Why is this game even on the DS at all? Ugh. People spend hundreds of hours in these games and it's high time Game Freak spent some time thinking about how to streamline the experience or brought in someone who knows how.

Again, It's not that I think BW were bad. Far from it. It's just that I'm frustrated with Gen 5 being a baby step rather than the generational leap it should have been. It needed more time in the oven and it needed to be on the 3DS. Will I buy the inevitable RSEmakes? All I know is that my gut says maybe. Regardless, I'll be hanging out for Gen 6.​

The key to my frustration is the fact that these games have so much content, but actually accessing said content has become a chore thanks to a clunky interface.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was gonna post a reply but decided it wasn't worth it. But since you prodded me... :p

viciouskillersquirrel said:
From the "least favourite game in your favourite series" thread:

Now, I know what people are going to say: RSE had water routes, bland designs etc. I know all that and very much agree. It wasn't the setting, the 'mons, the music or the story (lol) in BW that I had an issue with. In fact, all of those things were great. It was the antiquated gameplay mechanics and specifically the fact that not enough had changed between DPPt/HGSS and BW.

BW are easily, and noticeably a generation ahead of Gen 4 in terms of gameplay mechanics and presentation. I don't think this could be said for any other generation, really. They're also the best games in the series, nostalgia aside.

The little tweaks they made, like having the TMs be infinitely reusable were a step in the right direction, but they didn't go anywhere near far enough. Why, 15 years later, do we still have HMs?

There is one place in the game that requires using an HM to progress. That is not a big or meaningful complaint.

Why are battles still so slow?

They're not. They're the fastest in the series and among the fastest in any JRPG, providing animations are off.

Why make the player go through all the song and dance of making a 'mon forget and learn moves rather than having the four "in-battle" moves selectable from a list of moves learned (and learnable via TM) thus far?

Because that isn't Pokemon.

Why can't I drag/drop my mons in and out of my team and organise my boxes on the same screen?

You can? Unless I'm missing something Move Pokemon does this.

Why is this game even on the DS at all? Ugh.

What a stupid complaint. They're on the DS because they were meant to be. If they were on anything else they would have been different games, end of story. And considering B/W's sales, it's perfectly reasonable Gamefreak put B/W on the DS and didn't wait three years to spend time making a new engine and new sets of games for a different system.

People spend hundreds of hours in these games and it's high time Game Freak spent some time thinking about how to streamline the experience or brought in someone who knows how.

The only place in the game that might need streamlining is the box system, that was a step back from HG/SS and more resembled Platinum. HG/SS were better suited for the touchscreen.

I love the battle system menus are great, and even talking to NPC's is great (text bubble "spokes" connecting to the NPC talking, for instance, as well as cutaway pictures for important NPCs.) C-Gear concept is great and pretty slick on its own, but could use some more funcionality.

Again, It's not that I think BW were bad. Far from it. It's just that I'm frustrated with Gen 5 being a baby step rather than the generational leap it should have been.

See my first comment. If you don't consider B/W a generational leap, I don't know what you could consider one.

It needed more time in the oven and it needed to be on the 3DS.

No it didn't, and no it didn't.

Will I buy the inevitable RSEmakes? All I know is that my gut says maybe. Regardless, I'll be hanging out for Gen 6.

The key to my frustration is the fact that these games have so much content, but actually accessing said content has become a chore thanks to a clunky interface.

I disagree, mostly because the cause for almost all of your complaints can be summed up with "these games should have been made for a system that wasn't even released yet." And the other 12+ million B/W buyers probably agree with me.

Firestorm

Basically Nintendo needs to stop releasing a game every year because we're being burned out. I completely forgot that I never finished HeartGold and I haven't touched Black in almost two months.

Busaiku

Firestorm said:
Basically Nintendo needs to stop releasing a game every year because we're being burned out. I completely forgot that I never finished HeartGold and I haven't touched Black in almost two months.
If you're not even finishing the games, why do you still buy them?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Busaiku said:

He's a competitive player, I can't really blame him. Not much of a reason to buy the games and not play an online simulator if you don't care about the single player.

Thankfully I care about both.

Firestorm

Busaiku said:
I actually forgot I didn't finish HeartGold. And yeah, it makes it simpler to play in Nintendo's tournaments. Otherwise I'd have to borrow the game and couldn't prepare Pokemon in advance (not like I really did this time x.x).

I loved single player in Pearl because I skipped RSE. I'm just burnt out on it now after playing through FireRed, Pearl, 14 gyms of HeartGold, and 8 gyms of Black in the span of 4 years.

Andrex said:
BW are easily, and noticeably a generation ahead of Gen 4 in terms of gameplay mechanics and presentation. I don't think this could be said for any other generation, really. They're also the best games in the series, nostalgia aside.
You're just talking generalities here. Name some specifics.

In terms of gameplay mechanics, the 6th generation has done nothing but add new 'mons, moves and abilities, but the gameplay is fundamentally the same as DPPt. Name one aspect of the battle system that couldn't have been done in the Gen 4 system.

In terms of presentation, you have a dynamic (rather than fixed) camera on the overworld and battle animations (something that's been in the series since Crystal but has had a spotty history at best).

Andrex said:
There is one place in the game that requires using an HM to progress. That is not a big or meaningful complaint.
Exactly my point. HMs were originally put into the game as a mechanism of directing the player and pacing out the content (i.e. no going past Cerulean City until you've beaten Misty). Now that it no longer has this function, why make the distinction at all and force a player to take special steps to remove said moves from the 'mon they were taught to? The same result can be had from the use of an item (a whippersnipper for Cut, a jet-ski for Surf etc.) or some mcguffin that allows your water egg-group 'mons to transport you on the high seas or your ground egg-group mons to suddenly cut down bushes.

They're a holdover that should have been removed in Gen 4.

Andrex said:
They're not. They're the fastest in the series and among the fastest in any JRPG, providing animations are off.
Bingo. I don't like turning animations off (unless I'm grinding) as I like the visual flair they add. There's no reason to have the game wait for the text to finish appearing to start the animation for a move. That alone would make it fast enough for me.

Ever play DQV DS? It's got the same sort of menu-driven turn-based battle interface as Pokemon, but the battles are blisteringly fast because there's no wait between command and animation.

Andrex said:
Because that isn't Pokemon.
Neither were infinite-use TMs, once-upon-a-time. The idea was that they were rare and that TMs for moves like Earthquake were to be used wisely, lest they be wasted. Now that infinite-use TMs are here, why put in the extra step when deciding a 'mon's moveset? It could mean you can be ready for a pvp battle in 2 minutes with a new moveset for your Garchomp rather than the 15 it would take to boot up the TMs and track down the requisite move tutors.

Andrex said:
You can? Unless I'm missing something Move Pokemon does this.
In HGSS, Move Pokemon allowed you to "stick" your team to the sidebar, so that regardless of what box you were looking at, you could move 'mons in and out of your team -or- move them between/within boxes at will. BW removed this (or moved it somewhere else) and forced an extra step for moving mon's in and out of your team vs moving them within/between boxes. Anyway, the box system has always had an atrocious interface, so I'm not sure why I was surprised.

Andrex said:
What a stupid complaint. They're on the DS because they were meant to be. If they were on anything else they would have been different games, end of story. And considering B/W's sales, it's perfectly reasonable Gamefreak put B/W on the DS and didn't wait three years to spend time making a new engine and new sets of games for a different system.
I guess this was a personal complaint, but I felt that it was too soon for a new Pokemon game and that the result was too similar to Gen 4. HGSS happened only the year before and I hadn't even finished the post-game content. I didn't even realise I was burnt out until about the 6th gym.

Andrex said:
The only place in the game that might need streamlining is the box system, that was a step back from HG/SS and more resembled Platinum. HG/SS were better suited for the touchscreen.
Agreed.

Andrex said:
See my first comment. If you don't consider B/W a generational leap, I don't know what you could consider one.
A game that had Gamecube-level 3D visuals. A game that cut the accumulated fat from four generations of games that were archaic when the original came out.

Andrex said:
No it didn't, and no it didn't.
Yes it did and yes it did. I know it's a brilliant game, but the interface is clunky by today's standards and they didn't go anywhere near far enough with the changes they made. Imagine the uproar if a new RE game came out that went back to tank controls.

As for the second point, a delay of a year or two would have inevitably meant that it would have released on the 3DS, simply by virtue of the climate it released in. I also thought releasing it end-of-gen was a mistake as it cut off the long-tail sales as 3DS buyers would have considered it as a go-to game to buy along with their new system until the end of the generation. Now those buyers are going to look elsewhere because they want the new-gen hotness. It was too soon.

Andrex said:
I disagree, mostly because the cause for almost all of your complaints can be summed up with "these games should have been made for a system that wasn't even released yet." And the other 12+ million B/W buyers probably agree with me.
Said system released the same month as the game released in the US and maybe six months after the game released in Japan. It was within touching distance of the end of the generation. It could have been the 3DS's Mario Kart DS and just continued selling through 2016. and now it won't, because the system it is on will slowly die.

Busaiku

Said system released the same month as the game released in the US and maybe six months after the game released in Japan. It was within touching distance of the end of the generation. It could have been the 3DS's Mario Kart DS and just continued selling through 2016. and now it won't, because the system it is on will slowly die.
Pokemon games will never have the legs of Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart Wii.
But in any case, Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green are still selling over 100k.

Busaiku said:
Pokemon games will never have the legs of Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart Wii.
But in any case, Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green are still selling over 100k.
Pokemon games have incredible legs. They haven't been the phenomenon that MKDS was since RGB, but they still have legs most games can only dream of and those legs would be longer on a new system than on one at the end of its life.

Busaiku

Pokemon games have incredible legs. They haven't been the phenomenon that MKDS was since RGB, but they still have legs most games can only dream of and those legs would be longer on a new system than on one at the end of its life.
I'm not saying they don't, but Mario Kart DS is a completely different thing entirely.
A Pokemon game will never be Mario Kart DS.

Gruco

Banned
I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I think the main transition into gen 5 was geared around generalized playability over any specific mechanic, as we saw in the previous generational transitions. Unlimited TMs are part of that, but just as important are the experience curve, the balance in the postgame content, and the volume of replayable trainer matches. I collected all non-events in Black, and it was the first time I had done so since Silver (original Silver). And hell, I probably had an easier time of it than I did in Silver, despite the huge roster jump.

It's not just collecting everything, but assembling a competitive team, tackling the battle subway, everything that makes Pokemon more than a Final Fantasy is more accessible and integrated with the game's design this generation. For years competitive battles were limited to the lunatics using the sims and there was a huge disconnect between the single player game, taking place on a cartridge, and the multiplayer game, which took place in some ether. Gen 4 bridged that gap a bit but Gen 5 is where the more serious steps are taken.

In addition, Gen 5 is good for doubles and singles, and is starting to experiment with two new battles types. Obviously rotation and triples won't be great right away but it took some time for doubles to work out the kinks as well.

So basically:

1 -> 2 Steels, Darks, Items, Special Split
2 -> 3 Natures, Abilities, EV distribution, Items become useful, double battles
3 -> 4 Type/Attack split, double battles become good, wifi
4 -> 5 Unlimited TMs, experience curve, postgame tailored to bridging gap between single and multiplayer, rotation battles, triple battles

Honestly the 5th generation adjustments were the most exciting for me because they have managed to keep Black more enduring than Sapphire or Platinum was for me. I think the series still has some fat to trim and whatnot, but while gen 5's changes may not seem as big as some of the other ones, part of that is probably because the previous transitions already refined the mechanics so much. Gen 5 made great progress in a area the series needed to.

balddemon

Banned
Why make the player go through all the song and dance of making a 'mon forget and learn moves rather than having the four "in-battle" moves selectable from a list of moves learned (and learnable via TM) thus far?

I think this is probably one of the best ideas I've ever heard. To have a list of moves a Pokemon knows, with the ones it hasn't learned in ??? or grayed out, and then when it learns a move, it gets added to the list. And when you find a TM, you teach it to all your Pokes that can learn it and its added to the list. And then choose which 4 moves for the battle or w/e....sounds frickin awesome!

Also, one of my only complaints is that there's no L=A setting anymore. Makes playing on the toilet a lot harder....

Wiseblade

Exactly my point. HMs were originally put into the game as a mechanism of directing the player and pacing out the content (i.e. no going past Cerulean City until you've beaten Misty). Now that it no longer has this function, why make the distinction at all and force a player to take special steps to remove said moves from the 'mon they were taught to? The same result can be had from the use of an item (a whippersnipper for Cut, a jet-ski for Surf etc.) or some mcguffin that allows your water egg-group 'mons to transport you on the high seas or your ground egg-group mons to suddenly cut down bushes.

Because requiring those items would create a HUGE plot hole. requiring an item to do something your Pokémon are perfectly capable of would be illogical. Why wait to find tree cutters when one of your Pokémon has swords for arms? Why wait for a surfboard when one of your Pokémon is a giant turtle? Gen 5's solution is the most elegant IMO. Move HM obstacles out of the critical path and (at least with the case of Strength) make it so when you return to the area, you don't need the HM a second time. Just change Cut to work the same way, and I'm happy.

I'll do agree with you about choosing you about changing the moveset of Pokemon should be easier, but that's definitely something that should be unlocked postgame.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You're just talking generalities here. Name some specifics.

In terms of gameplay mechanics, the 6th generation

5th gen.

has done nothing but add new 'mons, moves and abilities, but the gameplay is fundamentally the same as DPPt.

...because it's Pokemon. Technically everything in Gen 4 could have been done in Gen 1, I guess.

Name one aspect of the battle system that couldn't have been done in the Gen 4 system.

Well nothing, especially since they're both on the same system. But the technicality of it isn't important, what matters is that it provides a deep, rewarding battle system that requires strategy. If you want the series to progress to an action RPG then look to the spinoffs.

Besides that, there are triple and rotation battles.

I agree with Wiseblade here. Make HMs one-time use (as far as their affects in the overworld) and make them only used for exploration, not the main quest. As for special steps to remove them, HMs will always require that because you could box yourself in... but if they do it like I said before I guess they wouldn't. So I agree that HM's should be easily deletable, but that's it.

Bingo. I don't like turning animations off (unless I'm grinding) as I like the visual flair they add. There's no reason to have the game wait for the text to finish appearing to start the animation for a move. That alone would make it fast enough for me.

The thing is if you play Gen 4 for an hour and Gen 5 for an hour you'll realize that everything is streamlined. Text is fast, the weather status no longer interrupts gameplay (it's on the second screen), and the text and animations happen in tandem to save time, unlike previous gens. Besides that, with animations on, the gameplay still feels speedier because the Pokemon aren't static, and the camera is constantly zooming in and out. I would say even with animations on B/W wouldn't come out so bad compared to most JRPGs.

Neither were infinite-use TMs, once-upon-a-time. The idea was that they were rare and that TMs for moves like Earthquake were to be used wisely, lest they be wasted. Now that infinite-use TMs are here, why put in the extra step when deciding a 'mon's moveset? It could mean you can be ready for a pvp battle in 2 minutes with a new moveset for your Garchomp rather than the 15 it would take to boot up the TMs and track down the requisite move tutors.

That's a false conflation. TM's are not intrinsic to the Pokemon experience but how you level up and apply moves are. I guess it wouldn't be so bad but I certainly wouldn't complain about it as "holding the series back."

In HGSS, Move Pokemon allowed you to "stick" your team to the sidebar, so that regardless of what box you were looking at, you could move 'mons in and out of your team -or- move them between/within boxes at will. BW removed this (or moved it somewhere else) and forced an extra step for moving mon's in and out of your team vs moving them within/between boxes. Anyway, the box system has always had an atrocious interface, so I'm not sure why I was surprised.

I've said this before but I'm pretty sure the Platinum team was working on B/W while the remake team handled HG/SS. That's my speculation though, that GF has two teams on Pokemon. But really it's a petty thing to complain about, especially when the eventual third game will probably fix it. If you're going to complain about an entire generation of Pokemon games, focus on what matters -- the region, the Pokemon selection, the team, the story, the competitive features.

You just waved your hand at all of Gen 3's problems then simultaneously attacked Gen 5 for incredibly inconsequential reasons, and that's my main problem with your reasonings, especially since I consider B/W the best and most fully-featured in the series.

I guess this was a personal complaint, but I felt that it was too soon for a new Pokemon game and that the result was too similar to Gen 4. HGSS happened only the year before and I hadn't even finished the post-game content. I didn't even realise I was burnt out until about the 6th gym.

That's more your problem. A mainline Pokemon a year is a great blessing.

A game that had Gamecube-level 3D visuals. A game that cut the accumulated fat from four generations of games that were archaic when the original came out.

Now you're generalizing. Very little in B/W feels archaic at all.

Yes it did and yes it did. I know it's a brilliant game, but the interface is clunky by today's standards and they didn't go anywhere near far enough with the changes they made. Imagine the uproar if a new RE game came out that went back to tank controls.

Another false comparison. RE progressed from tank controls into a third person shooter, Pokemon has progressed but stayed a turn-based RPG (which isn't a sin, by the way.)

Besides that, the interface's clunkiness and "lack of changes" wouldn't have been improved if it had been on 3DS. You're basically defaulting to graphics whoreness if that's your argument.

As for the second point, a delay of a year or two would have inevitably meant that it would have released on the 3DS, simply by virtue of the climate it released in. I also thought releasing it end-of-gen was a mistake as it cut off the long-tail sales as 3DS buyers would have considered it as a go-to game to buy along with their new system until the end of the generation. Now those buyers are going to look elsewhere because they want the new-gen hotness. It was too soon.

And if it were on 3DS who's to say it wouldn't take a couple steps back like D/P did? It might have ended up even slower than HG/SS, instead, now it's faster, and we get to enjoy 156 new Pokemon, a massive new region, and a single-player plot that's easily the most different from previous games in the series a whole two years earlier. Not a bad deal, I would say.

I'm frustrated when anyone holds a game's platform against it. That's middle school level mentality.

Said system released the same month as the game released in the US and maybe six months after the game released in Japan. It was within touching distance of the end of the generation.

That's not an argument. You've even admitted it would take an extra two years of dev time, at least. So complaining about not having a Pokemon game at 3DS's launch is basically just an empty complaint you're using to prop up your argument, even though it goes against the rest of what you've said.

It could have been the 3DS's Mario Kart DS and just continued selling through 2016. and now it won't, because the system it is on will slowly die.

I'm sure those 12 million will keep Nintendo quite satisfied. Besides, as pointed out, even if a system completely dies (which the DS won't for another year at least), Pokemon continues to sell well on it.

Top Bottom