• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm talking in terms of looks.

None of them do it for me too much in movesets.

TheSeks

Andrex said:
Anime totally makes Oshawott superior.

Honestly, in terms of anime none of the Gens after the 1st's starters do anything for me. Sure, Piplup is cute, but I'd still take a Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur over it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheSeks said:
Honestly, in terms of anime none of the Gens after the 1st's starters do anything for me. Sure, Piplup is cute, but I'd still take a Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur over it.

So you haven't watched Best Wishes then. :p

Firestorm

upandaway said:
Andrex, man, why you gotta diss Charmander.

All Pokemon are born equal. It should not come to this.
but some Pokemon are more equal than others.

Tunavi

Banned
I've been playing the original Pokemon Red lately. God damn this game aged very well. My experience is covered in a thick layer of nostalgia, but this game is still incredible.

balddemon

Banned
so i want to play pokemon. i have to work. therefore, i'm taking pokemon to work to play. i'll have like 2.5 uninterrupted hours of pokemon. yeehaw

Roto13

goldlion054 said:
sceptile.jpg

myself and the greatest Pokemon in the history of the game respectfully disagree

Bros don't give up on one another
When people say the Gen III starters suck, they're talking about this one in particular.

Tunavi

Banned
in terms of stats, is it better to catch high level pokemon or level them up from lower levels?

I caught a level 19 duglett and a level 29 dugtrio, which one should I train? The level 19 will level up faster, will its stats be higher by the time its level 29?

Roto13

Tunavi said:
in terms of stats, is it better to catch high level pokemon or level them up from lower levels?

I caught a level 19 duglett and a level 29 dugtrio, which one should I train? The level 19 will level up faster, will its stats be higher by the time its level 29?
Two Pokemon with the same IVs (inherent strengths that are annoying and hidden) and the same natures and the same number of EVs (stat points you get just for fighting) will have the same stats at the same level. The lvl 19 will have higher EVs when it reaches level 29 than the one you caught at 29, but it's not hard for the level 29 one to catch up. (EVs max out after a certain number.)

So basically if you're not thinking about all of that extra stuff, you might as well go with the higher level Pokemon. Until you start battling actual human players, none of those are really important. And if you want to raise a competitive team, whatever you're picking up now probably won't be in it anyway.

Gravijah

at least with starters we can all agree that gen 2 have the absolute worst by a---

what the fuck you guys

how can anything from gen 2 be better than swampert. WATERFALL AND EARTHQUAKE, FOOLS.

TheSeks

Roto13 said:
When people say the Gen III starters suck, they're talking about this one in particular.

No, we're talking about the bird one. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Then again, it's better than Fire Monkey Butt.

Wiseblade

goldlion054 said:
Don't hate. You'll never understand our bond
Furry.
Gravijah said:
how can anything from gen 2 be better than swampert. WATERFALL AND EARTHQUAKE, FOOLS.
So i herd u liek awesome
TheSeks said:
No, we're talking about the bird one. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Then again, it's better than Fire Monkey Butt.
No U

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
gen4=gen3>gen5=gen1>gen2

there will be no arguments.

There will be arguments and you paying me $5.00 while I slap your shit.

Tunavi

Banned
hmm...I really should pick up Emerald. Never played it and I have no idea why. I think I was trying to act too cool for pokemon once I hit middle school.

I assume Emerald > Ruby/Sapphire, correct?

Wiseblade

Roto13 said:
You really have the weirdest taste in pretty much everything.
I know, right? But tell me, which part of this is wrong:

Wiseblade said:
Pokémon Gold and Silver
By far the worst games in the series. Johto is absolutely miniscule and the new pokemon are among the worst ever designed. The gym leaders are forgettable and the challenge is non-existent(apart from maybe one fight).

The oft-praised post-game content is pretty pathetic too. Kanto is a shell of its former self, with pretty much every dungeon or point of interest shrunk drastically or removed entirely. I understand that this is down to space limitations, but in that case why bother? It way better to have one large, fleshed out region compared to two neutered ones. GSC suffer largely as a result.

OMG Aero

Gold and Silver don't hold up all that well today (As we found out with some of the unchanged stuff in HGSS like the enemy level progression) but even with the neutered Kanto they were still a huge step up from RBY back in the day.
It helps a lot that this was the first time we got a new generation so even though Johto arguably has the worst set of Pokemon, there was still a sense of "Oh man there are 100 Pokemon I have never seen before what is going on" before it became something to expect with each new game. Now when step into the grass at the start of a new generation we think "Well I guess this is this game's Pidgey" but back then we thought "HOLY SHIT AN OWL". I think that's why so many people have fond memories of gen 2.

Gravijah

Tunavi said:
Did anyone here stop playing Pokemon at a certain gen? I stopped at Gen 3.

nope, never.

ps, i do love gen 2. the starters might not be all that great compared to the other gens, but damn it, they're still cool.

TheSeks

Black-Wind said:
Yeah, a fighting cock ... makes no sense at all.

I'm more talking the awkward design more so than the meaning behind it.

Roto13

Wiseblade said:
I know, right? But tell me, which part of this is wrong:
Lots of it. Johto is bigger than Kanto. The Johto Pokemon designs are miles better than the Hoenn designs. Kanto is missing a lot of the stuff it had in Red and Blue but that's because it's a side quest. If they had just made a new subregion with the exact same amount of content, you wouldn't be complaining now. The gym leaders are pretty forgettable, though, I'll give you that. (But I don't remember a single Hoenn or Sinnoh leader, and while it's probably not fair to compare them because I played HeartGold since the last time I played Emerald or Pearl, but at least a few Johto leaders pop into my head.)

Gold and Silver also introduced the time system and breeding, which are two of the most significant additions ever made to the Pokemon series. The only other change that comes close was splitting physical and special attacks in Gen IV.

Also Venusaur is the greatest starter ever.

EDIT: Oh, right, as for the difficulty, the first time I played Red I solo'd it with my starter, so it was definitely a step up from that.

TheSeks said:
I'm more talking the awkward design more so than the meaning behind it.
Oh that?

It's a Kung Fu man with Cock traits (bell bottom feathers and long neck/head feathers).

Gen 3 had the BEST starter designs. Great level of evolution in design between each stage and they all had an air of cool or cuteness. The only one that looked crap was that damn Sceptile.

Ugliest are the 5th gen starters. They all take a massive turn in their final stage designs and none look good and the Otter makes no sense.

Tunavi

Banned
cyndiquil, furrett, pupitar, grahics revamp, EXP progression bar, COLOR, item categorization and upgraded UI, day/night with actual gameplay differences, real time clock. All reasons why Silver was awesome. Too bad that the battery issue means the game doesn't work anymore... :(

Kyzer

Banned
Just finished running through SS again, about to start a new file in Black. Probably my 8th time playing through either B/W. I think this one I'm gonna stick to this time and start breeding a competitive team..I havent done that since HG/SS!

JVIDICAN

Kyzer said:
Just finished running through SS again, about to start a new file in Black. Probably my 8th time playing through either B/W. I think this one I'm gonna stick to this time and start breeding a competitive team..I havent done that since HG/SS!
Speed breed and join the tourney! >:O
lol.

I'm going to do some work on my singles team today. Anyone willing to help me test it later on? :p

Top Bottom