• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

balddemon

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
Speed breed and join the tourney! >:O
lol.

I'm going to do some work on my singles team today. Anyone willing to help me test it later on? :p

Define later...cuz I can help you now until about ~7:15pm cst. I"m at work, so I might walk away for no reason lol. Or I can help you later at like midnight cst.

It was pretty cool to see owls at night in GSC/s first route, and the new Pokémon were new, so another OMG there.

However, I'll give a +1 on the over-easiness of Gold/Silver pre/post E4. I recall pretty much all the battles in Kanto in GS dragged, because almost all of them were stuck at 40s and 50s, with
Red
posing any sort of challenge.

Also, I took the train a few times, then merely resorted to flying to the Pokémon League to get back and forth. Never really understood the point...it would have been much better if the ride was longer, and there were battles you could have done while on the train (like the SS Aqua, or Battle Subway).

I know there's a tournament, though I'm not sure how to proceed with a singles team, since pretty much every Pokémon is up for grabs. Even my simulator team was doubles-oriented... Maybe I should have a look at my Battle Tower team.

JVIDICAN

balddemon said:
Define later...cuz I can help you now until about ~7:15pm cst. I"m at work, so I might walk away for no reason lol. Or I can help you later at like midnight cst.
Midnight would probably be better. I want to do some research first.

Kyzer

Banned
Bah. I doubt I'll make it to the tourney. Next time for sure though. I still have to get acquainted with the B/W metagame. Any pointers?

And once I get my pal pad anyone willing to lend me any cool eggs to run through the game with? My favorite pokemon is Charmander, if that's worth anything. Or awesome surprises would be cool too. Looking to have a fun playthrough is all. I'll have a Snivy and Pansage to breed eggs of for trade, and thats likely the only Pokemon of value. =/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Andrex said:
I skipped Gen 3. Glad I did, since it's terrible.

Except for the Battle Frontier AND Battle Recorder. Makes Emerald worth it.

fernoca

Technically, this one (Black/White) was the closest I was of taking a break. Every prior gen was either at launch or the same week.Since Blue was released in the US, to SoulSilver last year a few days after it was released (eve the spinoffs like Pinball, Snap, Hey you Pikachu, etc. were launch day).

Now this one, nearly 6 months later.

I wasn't able to play a lot yesterday, and some today (3 hours). Probably because I was in the dark regarding many details, nearly everything's new to me.

Really like the visuals, you starting with 2 other friends, Team Plasma is interesting with the whole "liberation of Pokémon".

Synced my game to the Global Link (finally used/know about the passwords; got them from this thread! :p). Got my first badge (really cool with it been in a restaurant and then 2 trainers, which change depending on your starter). Still running around trying to have the party as balanced as close (as far as levels goes) as possible.

My current team is:

Oshawott (Level 14)
Lillipup (Level 12)
Munna (Level 12)
Pansear (Level 12)
Purrloin (Level 11)
Pidove (Level 8)

Still early... :p

Favorites are:

RT9fo.gif
WNDtu.gif

fernoca

Gravijah said:
FUCK YEAH OSHAWOTT

fernoca would you like to pet my oshawott plush
*pets*

:p

By coincidence, it turns out that the "Pokémon BK (or Mc Donalds?) figure" that a friend gifted to me a few months ago, which I put between some small speakers I'm using for the 3DS...was Oshawott (just noticed) :p

EsFM7.jpg

JVIDICAN

I kinda threw a singles team together. No real cohesive strategy right now. :3
so, whenever you get home/are ready balddemon. (or anyone else :p)

balddemon

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
I kinda threw a singles team together. No real cohesive strategy right now. :3
so, whenever you get home/are ready balddemon. (or anyone else :p)

dood i'm ready if you are. just got home from 50/50

oneils

So I've been playing this for a while (off and on). Its a pretty chill game. I didn't know how relaxing it is. Yes, relaxing! Its fairly chill just running around and leveling up monsters to watch them evolve.

One question I have is how do I get First through Fourth Generation pokemon into the game. Are they available in other Pokemon DS series games (like Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver) to transfer into Black and White?

oneils said:
One question I have is how do I get First through Fourth Generation pokemon into the game. Are they available in other Pokemon DS series games (like Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver) to transfer into Black and White?
Yeah, most of them are. You could either:

1. Get those games and catch them yourself

2. Set up trades to get them from other people

I'm sure PokéGAF will help you on that second one :)

oneils

ColtraineGF said:
Yeah, most of them are. You could either:

1. Get those games and catch them yourself

2. Set up trades to get them from other people

I'm sure PokéGAF will help you on that second one :)

Thanks. I've been reading up on it and I'm not sure I would ever have the time to play through those three games, these days. Would I need all three games or is Platinum enough?

And I'll definitely be hitting this board up if I need trades. Thanks!

OMG Aero

oneils said:
Thanks. I've been reading up on it and I'm not sure I would ever have the time to play through those three games, these days. Would I need all three games or is Platinum enough?

And I'll definitely be hitting this board up if I need trades. Thanks!
I think you would need all of them if you literally want to catch every Pokemon, but if you just want to get one game then Platinum has the most complete set of Pokemon before Gen 5. There aren't many Pokemon that aren't in Platinum and there certainly aren't too many that it be a chore trading for them all. The only problems you would have is with legendary Pokemon.
http://www.serebii.net/platinum/missing.shtml

oneils said:
Well, that's a tricky question, uh...

Choosing one of HeartGold/SoulSilver and getting Platinum, you'd be able to get a good chunk of everyone. There are some that aren't in either of those (like Stunky), but I find Diamond to be too slow anyway, so I'd trade for the rest. Event legendaries...some of them are tagged to be untradeable, but I'm sure someone will find a way to get them to you, when the time comes.

oneils

Sweet, thanks guys. Thanks for the link, OMG Aero. Also, thanks for the heads up on the "event legendaries," ColtraineGF.

Just out of curiosity, do either of you have the full pokedex? I wonder how many people actually manage it.

TheSeks

oneils said:
Just out of curiosity, do either of you have the full pokedex? I wonder how many people actually manage it.

A lot, but it takes dedication.

Speaking of which, I need to sit down and finish my HG/SS Pokedex so I can transfer most of those to Black to speed up my Gen 5 dex. But I'm slowly evolving Gen 5 Pokemon for the National dex first.

I missed the Victini event and wish they'd do a repeat for Christmas. ;___;

oneils said:
I have the full Unova dex, and I used to have a full dex up to #386, but I lost my original Sapphire cartridge, so that's done with. I'm toying with actually completing it fully this time.

I think some here have full dexes, but I can't recall who right now. It takes a bunch of trading, especially if you want to keep all of them 'legit'.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
oneils said:

I have six left, well nine including the three unobtainable event legends. I should just finish it already. :p

SoulSilver had almost everything I needed (spent a ton of time in the Safari Zone), combined a bit with Pearl and Platinum, and some great people on GAF, I was able to get all 493 in Gen 4 and complete my Pokedex in SoulSilver.

And of course, after transferring all that to White all I had to get was the 153 obtainable Unova Pokemon. GAF trades and the GTS made version exclusives a non-issue.

Roto13

I completed the National Dex with the help of PokeGAF. Granted, this wasn't too long after Black and White came out, so the official thread was a lot more active.

Firestorm

oneils said:
Sweet, thanks guys. Thanks for the link, OMG Aero. Also, thanks for the heads up on the "event legendaries," ColtraineGF.

I did in Red Version...

clemenx

Banned
I had almost full pokedex on Diamond but got lazy trading for the legandaries I missed.

I completed it on my Black version, but literally more than half came from my DIamond game :p I comletely wiped it.

TheSeks

clemenx said:
I had almost full pokedex on Diamond but got lazy trading for the legandaries I missed.

I completed it on my Black version, but literally more than half came from my DIamond game :p I comletely wiped it.

Can't blame you. I'm close to doing the same thing. But I gotta get back on the SS horse to finish that.

Tunavi

Banned
Replaying original red has been a blast so far. I'm at the SS Anne right now, I've put in 4 hours.

My line-up: Graveler 25, Charmeleon 22, Dugtrio 29, Fearow 25, Diglett 19 (not training, just for back-up). I plan to get Haunter ASAP. Eventually I'd like a Dratini and Snorlax. Graveler is a beast, his defense stats are ridiculous. Going with Spearow over Pidgey has been interesting. Loving Fury attack, missing sand-attack.

JVIDICAN

For being so open to different team possibilities, I'm really disappointed with the VGC '12 teams I've encountered so far. :/ Cresselia, Latios, metagross, ect. over and over again. Its either that or a sandstorm/field hazard team. I feel like the VGC 11 rules encouraged much more creativity.

Firestorm

JVIDICAN said:
For being so open to different team possibilities, I'm really disappointed with the VGC '12 teams I've encountered so far. :/ Cresselia, Latios, metagross, ect. over and over again. Its either that or a sandstorm/field hazard team. I feel like the VGC 11 rules encouraged much more creativity.
Whaat? Where are you playing? VGC '11 had so few viable Pokemon. VGC '12 has had a great variety.

JVIDICAN

Firestorm said:
Whaat? Where are you playing? VGC '11 had so few viable Pokemon. VGC '12 has had a great variety.
Pokemon online and wi-fi. :p I see a few creative teams, but an overwhelming majority of what I've seen so far have been almost copies of each other.

Firestorm

JVIDICAN said:
Pokemon online and wi-fi. :p I see a few creative teams, but an overwhelming majority of what I've seen so far have been almost copies of each other.
Skarmbliss server and GBU Doubles I'm guessing? There are a few common Pokemon on most teams but it's still far better than what I saw last year (amoongus, scrafty, chandelure, zzzz).

Tenck

Been getting into the nitty gritty stuff of pokemon again. Where's the best place to learn about IV training and EV training?

Is Smogon still the best place?

fernoca

I've been out of the loop, so..is there anyway I can know if 2 Pokémon a friend gave to me are "legal"?

He said both are: Zoroark from Toys R Us and Scrafty from World Championships 2011. I checked online, and the Pokémon were infact given but anything I need to keep an eye on? His name doesn't appear anywhere on them. :/

Both are Level 50; so can't use them anyway.

fernoca said:
I've been out of the loop, so..is there anyway I can know if 2 Pokémon a friend gave to me are "legal"?
There are some ways you can check, one way being this site. But that won't work with these, because of Cherish Ball and special ribbons, so you could just probably assume that they'd be legal, because there's just a small chance of them being legit (actually gotten from the events and given to you, instead of cloned), and a small change of being illegal (because they could be cloned just as easily).

fernoca

Yeah. Checked around in a few sites (didn't understand that site much :p) and everything seems "legit"; so guess I'll just be happy that I have those 2 Pokémon; more than worried about authenticity; after all is not like I'll be playing in offcial tournaments or even online (that much).. :p

And in case anyone missed it, there's an update to the Pokédex 3D app for the 3DS (Go to to settings, Update)

Notes:
  • There's now a pause button on each Pokemon's main screen which you can normally unlock when you receive each individual species from a friend.
  • The musical note in AR Viewer which is normally unlocked when you have 30 stickers in your sticker book is available.
  • Then there's the SD Card Background Feature which is unlocked when you have 50 stickers in your sticker book.
  • Then there's three more AR Viewer features. Real Size Button in AR Viewer would normally be unlocked when you have 100 stickers in your sticker book. Same goes for Scale Slider.
  • You'd normally need 150 stickers to unlock the Stopwatch in AR Viewer but that is also available for everyone now.

Roto13 said:
I completed the National Dex with the help of PokeGAF. Granted, this wasn't too long after Black and White came out, so the official thread was a lot more active.
Yeah...those were the days. I was playing Pokemon/posting on GAF sometimes 10+ hours a day for about a month straight. I've played a total of about 1 hour since April. So burned out. ;_;

Never even finished training a new team. At least I finished the PokeDex as much as currently possible before I gave up. :(

TheSeks

Poketransfer or whatever the one is on the main page won't let you choose which event Pokemon to send over. WTF, I had clones of all the events for Black on Silver so I could have one in Gen 4 and one in Gen 5, but nooooooo Gamefreak wants all of them to transfer to Black.

SMH.

Roto13

TheSeks said:
Poketransfer or whatever the one is on the main page won't let you choose which event Pokemon to send over. WTF, I had clones of all the events for Black on Silver so I could have one in Gen 4 and one in Gen 5, but nooooooo Gamefreak wants all of them to transfer to Black.

SMH.
So just put them in your Wish GTS box before you transfer.

TheSeks

Roto13 said:
So just put them in your Wish GTS box before you transfer.

If I knew that then, than now, I would've done that.

But now I can't. Because I can't shift them back to Gen 4. Royally sucks and I wish Gamefreak did a "pick the 'mons you want to transfer" like PalPark in Gen4.

Roto13

TheSeks said:
If I knew that then, than now, I would've done that.

But now I can't. Because I can't shift them back to Gen 4. Royally sucks and I wish Gamefreak did a "pick the 'mons you want to transfer" like PalPark in Gen4.
I don't remember how transferring the legendaries worked, but that sucks. :p At least it lets you pick and choose Pokemon to transfer when migrating them in the post-game.

Kyzer

Banned
I just tried Dream World for the first time...came back with a Taillow! How do I get better bunches of Pokemon than that? Is it random?

TheSeks

Kyzer said:
I just tried Dream World for the first time...came back with a Taillow! How do I get better bunches of Pokemon than that? Is it random?

Befriend them and then get one of the ones you befriended. It takes a while and frankly isn't hugely worth it. I'd rather they took the Introlink and C-Gear out and just had a battle frontier in it's place. >:|

fernoca

Thanks to another awesome friend, got all starters!
So my current party consists of:
-Oshawott (my main)
-Lillipup (a now favorite I captured :))
-Munna (thought it was cute, so captured it)
-Tepig (fire starter that friend gave me)
-Snivy (plant type that frend also gave to me)
-Deino (a dragon type that friend gave too)

Since those 3 were acquired through trades, they get experience faster. All came from eggs, so they have some extra abilities ...Deino surprised me, because "she" has this move called Dragon Rage that even at Level 1, was beating Pokéon with just one hit! :O!

Now negotiating with him (or the other one); since Pikachu is my favorite since day one; and I want one..even if it's a Pichu I have to raise. But they're reluctant and don't want to. :(

EDIT:
Well, one friend caved..and gave me a Pichu!
Now I'm worried about its "authenticity" again...Guess I should just be happy that I have one. Apparently from a Gamestop; though he said that he took the item he was holding. XD

Though is kinda funny that while trading with them I'm like "lol keep giving those Hackémon" and "Can I has moar hacked eggs please!!"..and they get angry. XD

Oh well, Pichu's mine! :) ..Level 30, so can't use him yet. :(

EDIT 2:
Guess the "Dex No." been '0' is because I don't have the Pokédex updated with the "classic ones" yet...right?

Roto13

Tenck said:
I can't tuck anymore Pokemon today :/

Who's bright idea was it to limit you?!?!?!
What's really stupid is that it's one every 24 hours, not one every day, so if I tuck in a Pokemon at 11:30 at night, I can't tuck another one in until after 11:30 the next day.

JVIDICAN

Frost_Ace said:
W00t! Just found a moody female smeargle! I'm so gonna annoy people on wi-fi with spore and then baton pass the moody boosts :p
Be prepared for mass-ragequiting. lol.
I've always played by a personal sleep clause in Wi-fi, even in the last tourney I did. Its cost me a few wins, but I feel like a dick when I double spore an opponent. :3

Top Bottom