• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

I need to get started on my black game. Still haven't gotten pass the first gym. :/

BUT, I do intend on making this run a "zero faints" game! Got the idea as I was grinding to get all my Pokemon up to level 7.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
I need to get started on my black game. Still haven't gotten pass the first gym. :/

BUT, I do intend on making this run a "zero faints" game! Got the idea as I was grinding to get all my Pokemon up to level 7.

Make sure you have at least two level 100 Pokemon for the final Ghetsis battle then. :p I lost that one, and I haven't lost to an in-game trainer since... The E4 in Pearl? And before then Red in Silver.

I need to get back into this too. I signed up for the tourney but I still haven't played in the past month. >_<

Gotta get all the C-Gear skins I unlocked too, I tucked my Pokemon in for the first time and I still haven't woken it up. Poor Zorua's in a coma.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Andrex said:
Make sure you have at least two level 100 Pokemon for the final Ghetsis battle then. :p I lost that one, and I haven't lost to an in-game trainer since... The E4 in Pearl? And before then Red in Silver.

I feel Black and Gen 4 purposely under level you because otherwise you could steamroll through quickly like other gens. Also having problems with Red in Gen 2? WTF, you were given pretty much EXP for 20+ hours to have a mega powerful starter or ground Pokemon to take out Pikachu and then roll everyone else on his team. :/

Anyway, yeah: Gen 4 under levels you for the E4 going from the last town to Victory Road and Gen 5 does it for most of the game. I think the EXP distribution is part of the problem and part of the random Pokemon levels
no level 50+ until after you beat the E4, for instance

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheSeks said:
I feel Black and Gen 4 purposely under level you because otherwise you could steamroll through quickly like other gens. Also having problems with Red in Gen 2? WTF, you were given pretty much EXP for 20+ hours to have a mega powerful starter or ground Pokemon to take out Pikachu and then roll everyone else on his team. :/

Anyway, yeah: Gen 4 under levels you for the E4 going from the last town to Victory Road and Gen 5 does it for most of the game. I think the EXP distribution is part of the problem and part of the random Pokemon levels
no level 50+ until after you beat the E4, for instance

Red had a team of fairly well-balanced, extremely high-level Pokemon -- Pokemon so high level they weren't surpassed until Barry in Platinum. (Then things returned to the status quo in HG/SS.) I was also fairly young at the time. :p

I'm still not sure how I feel about Gen 5's EXP curving... All it does for me is makes fighting low level Pokemon even more worthless than it already was.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
I still can't believe I was able to cheese my way through the final encounters when my team was so underlevelled.

You can cheese your way through most battles if you use potions and revives wisely. But make a mistake and it's a chain reaction that can rip through your team. :p

TheSeks

Roto13 said:
Yes it will. Mine did. (Assuming you mean Boldore, since Roggenrola doesn't evolve through trading anyway. :p)

Didn't for me, I got a gift one, no evolve.

Roto13

TheSeks said:
Didn't for me, I got a gift one, no evolve.
Was it holding an Everstone? A lot of Pokemon that evolve through trade are posted on the GTS with an Everstone. And wild Boldores are often holding them in the wild anyway.

TheSeks

Roto13 said:
Was it holding an Everstone? A lot of Pokemon that evolve through trade are posted on the GTS with an Everstone. And wild Boldores are often holding them in the wild anyway.

No, an Eviolite.

Tenck

Does leveling seem a bit slow in this game to anyone else? I've been playing for around 13 hours, but I'm just exploring everything since it's a new game, and I'm at that city with a theme park and my pokemons are at level 24. I feel like they should be a bit higher than that since the Gym leader before that had Pokemon at like level 20-22 if I remember correctly.

Andrex said:
Gotta get all the C-Gear skins I unlocked too, I tucked my Pokemon in for the first time and I still haven't woken it up. Poor Zorua's in a coma.
How do you get those?

I have no clue :/

My DW on my Pokemon White is "broken" (I tucked in a Pokemon and took it out ... never played the online DW game because the site was down. And it has said I don't have enough energy to do DW ever since. That was back when they just started getting the site up and running. I was able to do it for the first time with Pokemon Black seeing as I just started it recently)

Oh, and on a side note ... it seems you can REALLY tell the difference between a Pokemon with good IVs and those without even at a low level. My Shiny Flawless Zangoose is basically the leader of my team right now and I traded him over at level 1. He has been able to take down mons 5 levels above him with no problem were as my Snivy is a weak lil gentle thing that can't even do decent "super effect" damage on mons that are on its level. Fuckers gonna get boxed ... just like my white Otter >_>

I went through the same thing with Axew but I figured that that's because that line is just damn strong. Never heard much about Zangoose being strong ... Guess I should try to get myself that flawless shiny Buneary I'v been wanting while I'm still early in this game.
Tenck said:
Does leveling seem a bit slow in this game to anyone else? I've been playing for around 13 hours, but I'm just exploring everything since it's a new game, and I'm at that city with a theme park and my pokemons are at level 24. I feel like they should be a bit higher than that since the Gym leader before that had Pokemon at like level 20-22 if I remember correctly.
Is that because the exp your Pokemon gets is now based on the level different between it and the Pokemon it beats? I figured that that's why at least.

Tenck said:
It's going to be slightly more difficult, because EXP is scaled so that the higher your level relative to the opponent, the less you get.

You'll probably be underleveled for the main game. Make use of type advantages!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
How do you get those?

I have no clue :/

My DW on my Pokemon White is "broken" (I tucked in a Pokemon and took it out ... never played the online DW game because the site was down. And it has said I don't have enough energy to do DW ever since. That was back when they just started getting the site up and running. I was able to do it for the first time with Pokemon Black seeing as I just started it recently)

My only advice is to try again and see if it's sorted out.

As for getting the C-Gear skins, the OP goes over it well I think. Let me know if it's not clear enough.

Tenck

ColtraineGF said:
It's going to be slightly more difficult, because EXP is scaled so that the higher your level relative to the opponent, the less you get.

You'll probably be underleveled for the main game. Make use of type advantages!

;_;

Getting around 200 exp from wild Pokemon is going to be a drag.

TheSeks

Tenck said:
;_;

Getting around 200 exp from wild Pokemon is going to be a drag.

If you rush, you'll get to Black/White City and jump in EXP anyway. Otherwise the Gamefreak office when your body is ready is a good EXP source.

Otherwise Audino's.

OMG Aero

NoE released the password today for the best C-Gear Skin:
MxYel.png

The code is EUPGL102011 and can be entered from the 13th of October to the 16th of February.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:
NoE released the password today for the best C-Gear Skin:
MxYel.png

The code is EUPGL102011 and can be entered from the 13th of October to the 16th of February.

Finally. (Not this one specifically, but the whole set.)

Hopefully US won't be far behind...

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
who would want the worst kanto starter?

Silly Gavijah, that isn't Raichu.

Also do want that C-gear Skin. Give it to me NoA. GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

TheSeks

Andrex said:
http://i.minus.com/it1DAyYmaRzbG.gif

Gravijah said:
technically raichu was never a starter. :(

POKEMON YELLOW, FOOLS. And no, don't give me any of that "PIKACHU WON'T EVOLVE IN THAT!" bullshit, because we both know you took that motherfucker and put him in Red/Blue/Green and evolved the sumbitch. >:|

Gravijah

TheSeks said:
POKEMON YELLOW, FOOLS. And no, don't give me any of that "PIKACHU WON'T EVOLVE IN THAT!" bullshit, because we both know you took that motherfucker and put him in Red/Blue/Green and evolved the sumbitch. >:|

of course i did.

but it still doesn't count!

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
of course i did.

but it still doesn't count!

1) Starter in Yellow
2) You evolved him even if you had to bend over backwards to get around a restriction.
3) Evolved Starter put back in Yellow.

So yes, yes it does count. >:|

Gravijah

TheSeks said:
1) Starter in Yellow
2) You evolved him even if you had to bend over backwards to get around a restriction.
3) Evolved Starter put back in Yellow.

So yes, yes it does count. >:|

that's cheating, like using a game shark.

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
that's cheating, like using a game shark.

IT'S STILL TECHNICALLY AN EVOLVED STARTER. I WON'T HEAR ANYMORE. LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA. :|

For the record: Pikachu sucked as a starter, I rather have Eevee over him.

clemenx

Banned
Looking at the OP. I don't see any hint of Croagunk or Zoroark skins on my Pokemon GL page D: I want them.

Edit: I'm reading that it's only for north american players... My copy of the game certainly is north american. Am I fucked because I'm south american? -_-

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
clemenx said:
Looking at the OP. I don't see any hint of Croagunk or Zoroark skins on my Pokemon GL page D: I want them.

Edit: I'm reading that it's only for north american players... My copy of the game certainly is north american. Am I fucked because I'm south american? -_-

That shouldn't matter... Go here and make sure you're logged in.

clemenx

Banned
Wouldn't be the 1st time. I had to put in my 3DS info that I was American so I could access the shop. It still isn't enabled for my country.
Nope, I don't see them, it must be that D:

Black-WindPikachu is a starter, because that's who you got when you started Yellow. GravijahRaichu isn't a starter, he just evolves from one. Like upandawayCharizard isn't a starter, even though he evolves eventually from FirestormCharmander.

*scuttles away*

Gravijah

ColtraineGF said:
Black-WindPikachu is a starter, because that's who you got when you started Yellow. GravijahRaichu isn't a starter, he just evolves from one. Like upandawayCharizard isn't a starter, even though he evolves eventually from FirestormCharmander.

*scuttles away*

no see charizard is a starter cause you can evolve him from charmander. raichu isn't a starter because you can't evolve him in yellow.

Gravijah said:
no see charizard is a starter cause you can evolve him from charmander. raichu isn't a starter because you can't evolve him in yellow.
Koki? Charizard isn't a starter. All starters are gotten at the start of a quest.

I think I used different reasoning to say that you weren't a starter though, I don't disagree...

This would make an interesting poll, I think...

Andrex said:
My only advice is to try again and see if it's sorted out.

As for getting the C-Gear skins, the OP goes over it well I think. Let me know if it's not clear enough.
Tried it after I did it with the Black version, the site doesn't show any tucked in Pokemon and I'm still prima "out of energy".

Gonna try the C-Gear skins later though, thanks :]

And Raichu ... if there's any proof you need that Pikachu wasn't the mascot out-the-gate it's the fact that it evolves into Raichu lol! Not that the thing looks UGLY, I actually like it ... but it DOES look pretty damn goofy compared to Pikachu and looks far different to Pikachu and Pichu. Sometimes I wish they would give Pikachu some kind of split evolve where it can evolve into something that actually looks more like the rest of the line.

Now that I think about it ... I really do wonder what would have happened if Clefairy was the mascot. It actually makes a lot of sense for a normal type to be the mascot when you think about it.

Gravijah

ColtraineGF said:
Koki? Charizard isn't a starter. All starters are gotten at the start of a quest.

I think I used different reasoning to say that you weren't a starter though, I don't disagree...

This would make an interesting poll, I think...

charizard is a part of a starter line. raichu in yellow is not. you can't evolve a starter pikachu within yellow.

upandaway

Gravijah said:
I have a secret to tell you, Gravijah.

Your Pikachu just hated you.

Everybody knows a Pikachu can't evolve if he's hatin'.

Top Bottom