• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Busaiku said:
Ok, can someone explain the Black City trainer stuff?

I saw the various point values or whatever each of the trainers have, and that they lose a certain amount per day if I don't battle them.
A week passed without me playing though, yet those trainers with values of 30 are still around.
Does that mean if I don't turn on the game, it won't matter? Or do I have to continue to battle them pretty much every day?
It probably just takes some time.

I haven't been to White Forest in a while, and when I came back, everything had shrunken down, and there were no patches. It depends on when you go back, really.

upandaway

It still goes down even if you don't turn it on, but it's weird.

Back when I lost my cart, when I found it a month later, I went to the forest and saw it completely blank. I got it back up to speed, went to visit it another month later (I also visited it once in between but I didn't talk to anybody or catch anything), and it was nearly the same.

Kaper

What's the possibility of a B/W super edition being made? Playing Soul Silver has really rekindled my inner pokemon master. Once I'm done with SS I'll be picking up White, but if a 3rd gen 5 game is going to be released I'll just get Emerald and Platinum and play through those two first.

Gravijah

Kaper said:
What's the possibility of a B/W super edition being made? Playing Soul Silver has really rekindled my inner pokemon master. Once I'm done with SS I'll be picking up White, but if a 3rd gen 5 game is going to be released I'll just get Emerald and Platinum and play through those two first.

100% chance that there will be a grey.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally lost my Super Doubles streak in the subway at 109. Considering it was just a bunch of Sand Stream-based Pokemon thrown together, I'd consider that pretty successful.

upandaway

Exterminieren said:
I still maintain RSE sequels are more likely than remakes.
Will GameFreak even consider this idea?

Guys, you need to remember just how much mental suffering GameFreak went through just to be able to think of permanent TMs.

It was kind of funny to see how proud they were of several innovations in BW when we've been calling them out for years.

Wiseblade

upandaway said:
Will GameFreak even consider this idea?

Guys, you need to remember just how much mental suffering GameFreak went through just to be able to think of permanent TMs.

It was kind of funny to see how proud they were of several innovations in BW when we've been calling them out for years.
Technically, making straight RSE remakes would mess with the Pokémon timeline. BW take place an undetermined amount of time after DPP/HGSS, which themselves take place three years after RSE/FRLG. If you look at the location text for a Pokémon created in Gen III, it'll say "after a long travel through time". So unless GF has some stupidly elaborate explanation prepared, any trip back to Hoenn is likely to be a sequel instead of a direct retelling of events.

Yes, I realise how stupid this sounds...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Technically, making straight RSE remakes would mess with the Pokémon timeline. BW take place an undetermined amount of time after DPP/HGSS, which themselves take place three years after RSE/FRLG. If you look at the location text for a Pokémon created in Gen III, it'll say "after a long travel through time". So unless GF has some stupidly elaborate explanation prepared, any trip back to Hoenn is likely to be a sequel instead of a direct retelling of events.

Yes, I realise how stupid this sounds...

I don't even understand what you're saying.

Something about flavor text from Gen 3 Pokemon? Maybe the "time" the games are talking abut is IRL time, ever think of that?

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I don't even understand what you're saying.

Something about flavor text from Gen 3 Pokemon? Maybe the "time" the games are talking abut is IRL time, ever think of that?
Let me try again.

C1e8k.png

As you can see from the timeline chart from your thread, the events of Black/White happen years after the events of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. GF have written the stories so far that games in the same generation happen at the same time. The events of RBY happened at the same time as RSE, and the events of GSC happened at the same time as DPP. Assuming this trend continues in Gen V, any game set in Hoenn would be years after the events of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and at the same time as the events of Black/White.

Get it now?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Or they could be remakes, supplanting RSE in the canon (although there won't be as much to smooth over canon-wise as there was in Gen 1 and 2.)

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Or they could be remakes, supplanting RSE in the canon (although there won't be as much to smooth over canon-wise as there was in Gen 1 and 2.)
It would still be at least a little messy, RSE and FRLG both make references to each other happening at the same time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
It would still be at least a little messy, RSE and FRLG both make references to each other happening at the same time.

Well that would obviously be kept, no reason to toss that out.

upandaway

Only reason why timeline talk is considered such a silly thing is because of the Zelda timeline stigma. Godspeed, Andrex, pay no attention to those foolish mortals.

Roto13

It's silly because every game story can be summarized as "A kid gets a Pokemon and beats eight gym leaders and a champion to become a champion himself, and also defeats an evil team that wants to separate people from their Pokemon."

Emitan

Anyone have a Shroomish or Breloom? Trying to put my doubles team together and I only have one Pokemon who's (almost) ready.

EDIT: Yaaaay Coltraine

GhaleonEB

I just read a full page of this thread thinking I was in the Halo thread, assuming we'd veered even more off topic than usual. Whoops.

Firestorm

GhaleonEB said:
I just read a full page of this thread thinking I was in the Halo thread, assuming we'd veered even more off topic than usual. Whoops.
What in the world do you people talk about that Pokemon timeline could seem natural

Gravijah

i don't think the "remakes always happen at the same time as the current gen!" stuff matters much, really. i also think rse remakes will be in a weird position between gen v and gen vi.

Emitan

So far my doubles team is Chandelure (Flame Burst, Pain Split, Shadow Ball, and either Will-O-Wisp or Substitute) and I'm going to raise a Breloom next.

Wiseblade

Billychu said:
So far my doubles team is Chandelure (Flame Burst, Pain Split, Shadow Ball, and either Will-O-Wisp or Substitute) and I'm going to raise a Breloom next.
Flame Burst kinda sucks, you'd be better off using Heat Wave/Fire Blast.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Also keep in mind that 'spread moves', moves that hit more than 1 Pokemon, only hit for 75% of the base damage for the move. ie; Heat Wave is normally 100 base power, but only 75 base power when you're using it in doubles to hit two Pokemon. Whereas a move targeting a single Pokemon, like Fire Blast, keeps its 120 base power.

Neither is the right, or wrong move to use. It's simple strategy.

Wiseblade

Billychu said:
They don't even have doubles builds! They must hate fun!

EDIT: Chandelure (Heat Wave/Fire Blast, Pain Split, Shadow Ball, and Substitute)
Good?
Better, but I have no idea how well Pain Split and Substitute work in doubles.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
seriously pokedudes whats the story behind smogon banning 'em

Rain became far and away the most powerful weather, and has the best / most abusers for the weather. Sand Storm had Excadrill, but he was banned himself. Rain has far too many Pokemon to out right ban all Swift Swimmers for instance. Rain actually boost Swift Swim abuser's powerful STAB attacks, and it centralizes the metagame around Rain / Anti-Rain.

I don't always agree with Smogon's bannings of course. If they can ban a weather+ability, they could have just banned Excadrill with Sand Rush, forcing it to use Sand Force. Of course, they're trying to force a singles metagame where it's clear that the developers have been focusing on doubles. Doubles, especially thanks to Team Preview before hand, has been a lot more balanced, and there are far more Pokemon that can work in Doubles than Smogon's OU Singles.

And for all those reasons (and more!), I quite playing the singles metagame.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
In Doubles, Chandelure doesn't need HP Fighting because his partner can help with the coverage. Not to mention he's not going to be playing standard OU where Tyranitar is going to be everywhere to resist both his STABs.

OMG Aero

Gravijah said:
seriously pokedudes whats the story behind smogon banning 'em
Speaking as someone who knows nothing about competitive Pokemon, I think it's just because it's a broken combination. Double speed is an insanely good benefit and putting Drizzle on Politoed means that you can now get infinite rain and have that effect last for the whole battle outside of ubers.
Weather in general is something that I think needs to be nerfed in the next game. As it is right now, it's pretty hard to beat a good weather team without running your own weather team. Either they need to make it so that Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream and Snow Warning weather effects revert to normal weather when the user leaves the field (So they run out in five turns instead of being infinite until another weather effect comes in) or there needs to be other ways to stop weather without having to start new weather (cough cough Defog).

Gravijah

i just don't understand why certain things get banned while others don't. stealth rock neuters so many pokemon, yet it's still around.

Wiseblade

Excluding Pokemon with >600 BST, Smogon has banned:

Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys-A
Deoxys
Excadrill
Garchomp
Manaphy
Shaymin-S
Thundurus

While legitimate cases can be made for Darkrai, Manaphy and Deoxys, the others just annoy me and feel far more removing things you can't be bothered to deal with rather than things that legitimately overpower everything else.

Top Bottom