• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Watch your tongue. Even in its present form Kyurem could destroy Zekrom and Reshiram.

Gravijah

You really expecting any of gen v to be 3ds?

Or can you get "3ds enhanced" DS carts?

yes, grey is almost guaranteed to be 3ds only at this point. it would be insane for nintendo to release a mainline ds game in 2012, a year to a year and a half after the 3ds launched.

Suairyu

Banned
If i have to buy a 3DS I'm gonna be pissed. So many design faults with the system as which, most concerning being this screen and button shenanigans.

Izayoi

Banned
If i have to buy a 3DS I'm gonna be pissed. So many design faults with the system as which, most concerning being this screen and button shenanigans.
What about the buttons? They're fine.

From what I hear the screen scratching has been fixed. I'm testing it with my new Red 3DS and have yet to see the symptoms, so we'll see.

Suairyu

Banned
What about the buttons? They're fine.

From what I hear the screen scratching has been fixed. I'm testing it with my new Red 3DS and have yet to see the symptoms, so we'll see.
I was under the impression that it was the buttons scratching thr screen. My bad.

Where was it announced/discovered that the latest versions have fixed the scratching? That might change everything. Of course, a new design out in time for grey if it is indeed a 3ds title would change everything more, but that's about as likely as a new remake of Red and Blue.

PS_GUY

I want to believe.

Come on, 3DS goodness.

It's not going to be on the 3DS.

The 3rd game is basically an expansion of the first two. Putting it on the 3DS would require them to build new world tiles, create new sprites, and program the game to work on a new engine/system.

I think the first main game to hit the 3DS would be Gen 6, followed by a remake of Ru/Sa.

Gravijah

The 3rd game is basically an expansion of the first two. Putting it on the 3DS would require them to build new world tiles, create new sprites, and program the game to work on a new engine/system.

I think the first main game to hit the 3DS would be Gen 6, followed by a remake of Ru/Sa.

so you expect them to release a ds game 1-1.5 years after the 3ds?

edit: also, they surely started working on their 3ds engine before the 3ds even released.

Izayoi

Banned

Nothing stopping them from just "enhancing" it on 3DS, rendering it at a higher resolution with some rudimentary 3D depth.

I think there's almost zero chance any more Pokemon games will be released on DS. Presuming Grey releases in September, Nintendo is not going to allow their biggest handheld franchise to release on the older handheld that they're trying to kill at this point. I believe I'm right in saying that Nintendo has no further first or second party DS games on its slate, and I seriously can't see them reviving it for something that would be far more beneficial for them on 3DS.

For 3DS games to start with gen VI, we wouldn't get any Pokemon games on it for three and a half years into the system's lifetime, which, given the 3DS's tough start, would be lunacy on Nintendo's behalf.

Suairyu

Banned
I think there's almost zero chance any more Pokemon games will be released on DS. Presuming Grey releases in September, Nintendo is not going to allow their biggest handheld franchise to release on the older handheld that they're trying to kill at this point.
But that's the thing - they're not. All marketing materials and company statements (and their ridiculous naming scheme) indicate that they fully intend to have the DSi line existing side-by-side the 3DS line for as long as they can get away with it.

They're still advertising DS games on TV and give the DSi and DSi XL as much mindshare as the 3DS.

The 3DS is replacing the DSi only in the mind's the forum-going gamer - that notion really doesn't exist outside of core.

I seriously doubt at this point they'll decline to release Grey, which will be their biggest 'gamey' title of the year, on their most successful platform ever. Really, the DS is simply too big to be thought of in terms of being instantly replaced by the new model (3DS).

Gravijah

I seriously doubt at this point they'll decline to release Grey, which will be their biggest 'gamey' title of the year, on their most successful platform ever. Really, the DS is simply too big to be thought of in terms of being instantly replaced by the new model (3DS).

but they've already started to do that with mario 3d land, mario kart 7, etc etc. the ds is dead, development wise.

weren't game freak one of the first to get a 3ds dev kit, too?

I'd believe you, were it not for the fact that Nintendo is not developing DS games any more, and hasn't been for months.

They are not going to resurrect the DS when putting Grey on the 3DS would be far more beneficial for their interests.

Izayoi

Banned
But that's the thing - they're not. All marketing materials and company statements (and their ridiculous naming scheme) indicate that they fully intend to have the DSi line existing side-by-side the 3DS line for as long as they can get away with it.
The 3DS is outselling all of the DS models combined already. Imagine how big the rift will be a year from now. The DS line is already completely dead in Japan, and it will be in the US by the time Grey comes out (probably close to a year and a half from now). It would be stupid of Nintendo to try and resurrect a dead platform and cannibalize sales from their newest and greatest.

Grey will be on the 3DS.

Sooo, I'm just throwing this out there, but Pokemon Puzzle Challenge has got to be my favourite puzzle game. Like, even more than Tetris.

As for releasing a game on the DS...if it's a mainline Pokemon game ala Grey version, I think it'll stay on the DS. But if it's a Mystery Dungeon game or something of that vein, perhaps they'll go the route of releasing two versions, one for the DS and one for the 3DS, like they did when they originally launched the Mystery Dungeon spin-offs by releasing a version for the DS and GBA.

Ondore

I could see Gray being DSi-required much the way Crystal was GBC-required, with a simultaneous WW release in April. That way, it serves as the last game out the door and gets people on a Lite to upgrade to *something*.

Gravijah

I could see Gray being DSi-required much the way Crystal was GBC-required, with a simultaneous WW release in April. That way, it serves as the last game out the door and gets people on a Lite to upgrade to *something*.

there's no point in making a dsi enabled game at this point. besides, the gba wasn't even out when crystal came out!

Kirby Mass Attack is the platform's last big game.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, the idea that Nintendo would pass on a massive system seller to release a game on dead hardware that everybody's got already.

Roto13

Pokemon moves systems. Putting Gray on DS would be like putting Mario Kart 7 on DS.

Didn't Platinum use a different engine?

Suairyu

Banned
So this Dream World/Entralink business - I can seriously only choose one Pokémon from my time in the Island Of Dreams, right? So what's the point of the huge Entree Forest then?

This whole Dream World thing just feels set up to be as obstructive as possible.

Wiseblade

So this Dream World/Entralink business - I can seriously only choose one Pokémon from my time in the Island Of Dreams, right? So what's the point of the huge Entree Forest then?

This whole Dream World thing just feels set up to be as obstructive as possible.

In case you have a bunch of event Pokémon to send at once.

And yes it is. It's all designed to let you do enough that you'd want to come back day after day, but little enough that it'll take forever before you're done with the place.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kirby Mass Attack is the platform's last big game.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, the idea that Nintendo would pass on a massive system seller to release a game on dead hardware that everybody's got already.

Nintendo has little say in what Game Freak does. Besides that, the cost and effort to make Gray suitable on the 3DS would be effort better spent on an entirely new game.

Nintendo has little say in what Game Freak does. Besides that, the cost and effort to make Gray suitable on the 3DS would be effort better spent on an entirely new game.

Theoretically yes, but you can be sure that Nintendo would be in deep negotiations with Game Freak to ensure that they don't damage 3DS by releasing a mainstream RPG for its dead predecessor.

I think Grey, although more expensive than Emerald or even Platinum (although, am I right in remembering that Platinum utilised a brand new engine?), would be cheaper than a RS remake, would bring a large number of sales, would establish a Pokemon presence on 3DS and wouldn't simply cut down Gen V before the Pokemon Company's finished squeezing the marketing dry. I genuinely think it's best for Game Freak's interests, as well as Nintendo's.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why would Platinum have used a new engine? Heck B/W probably run on a modified version of what all the Gen 4 games used.

Suairyu

Banned
As I said earlier, people need to stop referring to DSi as a dead platform. Nintendo is still pushing it hard on TVs right now. We can make the judgement as to how they really see it after the holiday season. You guys could be right and by the time of grey's release DSi might very well be a dead platform. We can but wait and see.

I mean, just last week I saw a professor layton commercial. It finished by saying "for DSi and 3DS". To me, that seems the likely route of Pokemon grey promotion.

Then, cut gen V short and go straight to gen VI on 3DS with either R/S remakes or new titles completely.

Onto more pressing concerns - my postgaming has hit an unexpected block in that i found out not all the Pokemon of the unova region are even officially obtainable yet. What is this madness? Movie promotions, right? Do those last three unobtainables count as part of the Unova dex required for 'completion' or are they national dex only?

Izayoi

Banned
Onto more pressing concerns - my postgamong has hit an unexpected block in that i found out not all the Pokemon of the unova region are even officially obtainable yet. What is this madness? Movie promotions, right? Do those last three unobtainables count as part of the Unova dex required for 'completion' or are they national dex only?
All event Pokemon since Ruby/Sapphire have not counted toward any sort of Dex completion.

As I said earlier, people need to stop referring to DSi as a dead platform. Nintendo is still pushing it hard on TVs right now. We can make the judgement as to how they really see it after the holiday season. You guys could be right and by the time of grey's release DSi might very well be a dead platform. We can but wait and see.

I mean, just last week I saw a professor layton commercial. It finished by saying "for DSi and 3DS". To me, that seems the likely route of Pokemon grey promotion.

Then, cut gen V short and go straight to gen VI on 3DS with either R/S remakes or new titles completely.

Nah.
Pokemon Grey won't hit the west for another year and a half. All very well and good promoting the DS now, but 2 years after 3DS launch? Even GBA didn't hold on that long, and that little bastard just wouldn't die.

Also, this is the notoriously difficult to transfer handhelds west. In Japan, DS is a non-entity in the charts, and is only going to get more so.

Besides, Gen V is making a tonne of money. There's no sense in cutting that down prematurely, when there's more money to be had in a 3DS Grey that'd be easier.

That last fight was awesome, especially with the music kicking in after Blaze. That was what a finals match should be, if Ash ever actually makes it to one...

What are you talking about? The Sinnoh saga ended after the Paul battle. There was nothing else.

Oh god, it hurt so much. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What are you talking about? The Sinnoh saga ended after the Paul battle. There was nothing else.

Oh god, it hurt so much. :(

Nah, it didn't hurt, we were all expecting it after Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. When the dude with the Darkrai showed up it was pretty obvious...

I like to think that Paul v. Ash was the final battle.

Nah, it didn't hurt, we were all expecting it after Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. When the dude with the Darkrai showed up it was pretty obvious...

I like to think that Paul v. Ash was the final battle.

At least the other three felt at least a bit earned.

Tobias was cheap as hell.

Even now, I'm still mad. I facepalm'd when he brought out
Latios
, man...

The writers just said, "Ah man, we need to end this season. Let's just make a random character, with no story other than looking like Darkrai, and
load his team with legendaries
. Just make him as cheap as possible."

Gravijah

but it's entirely possible grey will be a new game, or at least expand on bw more than usual, especially with all the various plot points they left open.

i also don't really see it as a waste, either. the game is guaranteed millions of sales.

OMG Aero

The Darkrai guy was a dig at everyone who plays the game using legendaries in their team.
Just like Paul was a dig at EV and IV min/maxers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Darkrai guy was a dig at everyone who plays the game using legendaries in their team.
Just like Paul was a dig at EV and IV min/maxers.

Exactly. Besides, it was better than having Ash lose to some loser from a different region with the worst starter in the entire games. At least there was a tangible reason Ash lost this time. He was probably the better trainer, so much so that only legends could top him...

Will be interesting to see how they justify him losing the Unova league. I might have to watch the subs for that.

Wiseblade

Exactly. Besides, it was better than having Ash lose to some loser from a different region with the worst starter in the entire games. At least there was a tangible reason Ash lost this time. He was probably the better trainer, so much so that only legends could top him...

Will be interesting to see how they justify him losing the Unova league. I might have to watch the subs for that.

1) Shut up, Blaziken is awesome.

2) I'd rather the anime not be so obvious when they make characters designed to stop Ash winning the League. It ruins all the suspense when you make it obvious that he has no chance of winning.

3) Half the time I watch the raws, since subs take a week and you can pretty much understand the plot of most episodes from visuals alone.

Top Bottom