• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Xavien

N4Us said:
Do all Rotom forms learn the same leveled-up moves (like the one listed on the Bulbapedia page) or is it just vanilla Rotom?

Yes they do, the only thing that changes with form is its type and its special move (it'll have one move that is the same type that it's changing to).

BTW guys, I've started playing SS (got up to Ecruteak city so far) and my god its overwelming, its like B/W but with double the systems and things to do. Considering i spent 300 hours on B/W, I'm scared at the thought of how long I'll spend on SS.

Schmitty

ninj4junpei said:
I got a copy of Pokemon White. :D I went with Oshawott as my starter. Perhaps it's just my my attention span, but the battles still feel like they take too long even with the attack animations turned off. The sprite animations are nice but on the superfluous side. I have put like three hours into it, and I kind of already want to jump into the postgame content.

Also the bottom screen is atrocious looking during battles.
I've never understood this sentiment. Pokemon is all about the battles. Why do you want to rush through them?

Roto13

It's not all about the battles, and slow battles are no more satisfying than fast ones if the same shit is happening in both. That said, Black and White have very fast battles.

Slermy

ninj4junpei said:

I will agree with you on this. I really like look of the Pokédex, but the battle screen doesn't match at all and is oddly designed in my opinion.

Also, does anyone know of a good defense calculator? I used to use:

http://users.smogon.com/X-Act/defense.html

But that doesn't seem to exist anymore. It was great for figuring out EV spreads.

Renoir

Roto13 said:
Shame Bisharp kinda sucks.
Hes so cool looking to.
I called mine kamen.
Do pokemons get buff.and nerfs.with each vers. Of the game ?
I would love for misharp to get buffed.

Roto13

If I had a shiny Bisharp, I would probably use it even though it sucks.

JN3h5.png

btkadams

ninj4junpei said:
I got a copy of Pokemon White. :D I went with Oshawott as my starter. Perhaps it's just my my attention span, but the battles still feel like they take too long even with the attack animations turned off. The sprite animations are nice but on the superfluous side. I have put like three hours into it, and I kind of already want to jump into the postgame content.

i find the battles really fast. mash that A button! haha. it's really hard going back to heartgold/soulsilver/plat after playing the new games because everything (basically just the text but damn) seems so slow.

Jeffdawg

Neo Member
I just have to say, I think that Black/White may just be my favourite games, in what is undoubtedly my favourite video-game series of all time. I'm constantly amazed at the depth and the variety of things to do in mainline Pokemon games. I've put in around 240 hours on my primary Black version (I bought both, blitzed through White in 20 hours, figured I'd get both for future events and version exclusives), and I still haven't burnt out yet. There's ALWAYS something to do, and the games are designed in a way that makes it easy to jump back in if you do happen to stop playing for a while.

To illustrate my point, let me summarise what I've achieved in my 240 hours of playtime. I've finished the main story (obviously), gone through most/all of the post-game content, completed my National Pokedex (which was not nearly as time consuming as I'd anticipated it would be, thankfully). I've levelled up a bunch of Pokemon (particularly legendaries) to level 100, because I find reaching that milestone to be satisfying. It sort of signals a symbolic endpoint for me and that Pokemon: I've helped it reach it's full potential, and now I'll never need to bring it out of it's box again. For this reason alone, the new level-scaling system has been a god-send: this was a much more painful experience in Gen IV.

Lately, I've been attempting to breed for shinies using the Masuda method. I've gotten a Charmander (now Charizard) and a Pineco so far, as they're 2 of my favourite Pokemon. My plan is to eventually breed a full party of Gen III Pokemon to trade over for the Ruby/Sapphire remakes (I'm really hoping this is what the May announcement will be, as I never got to experience Gen III, but at the same time I think I may need more time to breed my whole party of shinies!) At the moment I'm thinking all three Hoenn starters, Beldum, Bagon and a couple of HM slaves (figure I'll need at least one in my party at all times).

And just in the past week, I've started to build my ideal 'capturing party' (to transfer to any future games, for the express purpose of catching legendaries). So far I've got 4 Pokemon designed specifically for capturing. I've got 2 Smeargles: 1 designed to be able to fend for himself (he knows Mean Look/Heal Block/Spore/False Swipe, and ability is Technician), and 1 designed to back up another catcher (this guy knows Ingrain/Aqua Ring/Odor Sleuth/Baton Pass, ability is Own Tempo). He pairs up with my Breloom (False Swipe/Seed Bomb/Spore/Stun Spore, ability Poison Heal), passing on HP regeneration and the ability to hit Ghosts if required with Baton Pass. That covers most scenarios encountered when capturing, but I decided there's a lack of firepower when it comes to depleting a Pokemon's HP. Rather than relying solely on multiple False Swipes to weaken foes, I've bred a Sturdy Aron to learn Endeavour. It's at Level 1, and I don't plan on ever training it, otherwise it will lose it's effectiveness: I'll lead with him, he'll take the first hit, hold on with Sturdy and bring the foe down to 1HP with Endeavour: it's perfect, as long as he doesn't flinch, or get hit with a multiple-hit move.

This is exactly what I'm talking about: the fact I'm able to write a whole paragraph about building a capture party (admittedly a pretty mundane topic) reveals just how insanely deep these games can be. There's a staggering level of detail to be found, but it's not required to play or enjoy these games, as the barrier for entry to the series is incredibly low. And I don't even dabble into competitive battling or EV/IV stuff (just not interested in it): it seems absurd to me that there's a whole meta-game I'm essentially ignoring when there's simply so much to do in the product already.

So, tl;dr version - Pokemon is great, Black/White are the best in the series in my opinion, and I have way too much spare time on my hands.

Rapstah

How big is the selection of older-generation Pokémon you can get through the Dream World? All of them excluding legendaries?

Finally got enough Dream Points to get to the Windswept Sky. Unfortunately, my first time through the sky area was also my 6th time through the island overall, so I didn't see much. Managed to snag a Murkrow, though.

btkadams

Electivirus said:
Finally got enough Dream Points to get to the Windswept Sky. Unfortunately, my first time through the sky area was also my 6th time through the island overall, so I didn't see much. Managed to snag a Murkrow, though.
how do you get dream points? is it just one per visit?

Victrix

*beard*
Anyone have a Rufflet/Braviary they could trade me? Trying to finish off the Unova Pokedex. Just need that and a Thundurus to get Landorus.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:
If I had a shiny Bisharp, I would probably use it even though it sucks.

JN3h5.png

It could be usable on the right team. It has a number of benefits over say.. Absol, in comparison (both using the Swords Dance+STAB Sucker Punch combo). It actually benefits a great deal from the Steel typing, is immune to Intimidate, and has much higher defense.

Fewr

The IGN top 100
http://www.ign.com/top/pokemon

1. Charizard
2. Mewtwo
3. Blastoise
4. Lugia
5. Dragonite
6. Mew
7. Rayquaza
8. Zapdos
9. Tyranitar
10. Zekrom

11.- Gyarados
12.- Arcanine
13.- Articuno
14.- Ho-oh
15.- Venusaur
16.- Suicune
17.- Gengar
18.- Entei
19.- Scizor
20.- Alakazam

21.- Groudon
22.- Typhlosion
23.- Scyther
24.- Raikou
25.- Kyogre
26.- Ferligatr
27.- Larpas
28.- Snorlax
29.- Reshiram
30.- Dragonair

31.- Ninetales
32.- Lucario
33.- Charmeleon
34.- Salamence
35.- Moltres
36.- Jolteon
37.- Charmander
38.- Garchomp
39.- Giratina
40.- Umbreon

41.- Dialga
42.- Nidoking
43.- Milotic
44.- Wartortle
45.- Latios
46.- Squirtle
47.- Vaporeon
48.- Pikachu
49.- Flygon
50.- Blaziken

51.- Torterra
52.- Bulbasaur
53.- Espeon
54.- Aerodactyl
55.- Raichu
56.- Haunter
57.- Aggron
58.- Hydregion
59.- Empoleon
60.- Darkrai

61.- Arceus
62.- Metagross
63.- Quilava
64.- Kabutops
65.- Haxorus
66.- Sceptile
67.- Pidgeot
68.- Zoroark
69.- Swampert
70.- Cyndaquil

71.- Samurott
72.- Kingdra
73.- Houndoom
74.- Serperior
75.- Absol
76.- Flareon
77.- Kyurem
78.- Ivysaur
79.- Celebi
80.- Steelix

81.- Latias
82.- Infernape
83.- Electabuzz
84.- Rhydon
85.- Deoxys
86.- Palkia
87.- Meganium
88.- Electivire
89.- Braviary
90.- Rapidash

91.- Kadabra
92.- Luxray
93.- Growlithe
94.- Machamp
95.- Glaceon
96.- Hitmonlee
97.- Onix
98.- Cubone
99.- Gabite
100.- Gastly

Wiseblade

Roto13 said:
Hay guyz lets all naem our fav pokemanz

Empoleon's no.1 (shocker!) with Blaziken a vlose second. My other favourites would be:

• Jolteon
  • Haunter
  • Minun
  • Roserade
  • Blitzle
  • Escavalier
  • Volcarona
  • Snivy
  • Chikorita]
and some others I can't think of right now.

N4Us

I'm so glad that, even though my internal battery for Ruby died, I was still able to save and transfer over Male Gardevoir and shiny Zubat. My two most important Pokemon.

PS_GUY

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but there's a new event that will be available on the Japanese Pokemon Global Link website: http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=4588

I really hope this event eventually gets released outside of Japan because that I really want that tree house. Another thing is the mini games on the Pokemon Dream World is getting VERY repetitive..I hope they will release other mini games. :<

Sagitario

Besides berries, the Eevee evolutions and some random Pokémon while you walk to the Dream Island/Tree (or whatever its name is)... is there anything worth doing on the Dream World website?

Morokh

Sagitario said:
Besides berries, the Eevee evolutions and some random Pokémon while you walk to the Dream Island/Tree (or whatever its name is)... is there anything worth doing on the Dream World website?

Pokemon you get have some attacks, and most of all unique abilities that you can't find anywhere else.
But if you don't care about battling online theres no real point of trying too hard.

Fewr

I finally get a shelmet, and its evolutions (couldn't find one in winter).
Btw, I finished the main story yesterday morning, since I got the game at launch, it took me a month and a bit.

Victrix

*beard*
Victrix said:
Anyone have a Rufflet/Braviary they could trade me? Trying to finish off the Unova Pokedex. Just need that and a Thundurus to get Landorus.

Still looking for that Rufflet/Braviary if anyone is online right now

Fewr

Victrix said:
Still looking for that Rufflet/Braviary if anyone is online right now
I'll trade with you. Have you got the Black version bird?
EDIT:
My friend code is not in the list, I'll post it here in a second.

EDIT II:
4942-4804-2964
What's yours?

EDIT III:
Found yours: 4126 5110 0614

EDIT IV: I'm going out for a while; I'll check back this evening to see if you're available.

Morokh

Did some unranked online battles all afternoon, was a lot of fun with a lot of WTF moments, but quite frustrating at the same time xD

Holy hell at all the Pokemons that know/use Laser beam, or HP Ice, they're just everywhere ... talk about a dragon paranoïa :p

I just have been haxed as hard as with the AI by a Ferrothorn, my Dragonite was Paralyzed, and all I had to do was to hit him with Fire-Punch once ! .... but the thing used Iron Head (30% chance to flinch) and I couldn't do anything even if it only took like 30HP per hit ..... >_<

At the beginning of a match the other person threw me a damn Grumpig !
I was like WHAT ? does it even exist ? didn't even know his type :D

fun times !

BTW what are the stars you can see on the trainer card that is presented to you when an oponent is found ?

Fewr

Morokh said:
BTW what are the stars you can see on the trainer card that is presented to you when an oponent is found ?
The achievements?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_stars#Black_and_White

* Get a record in the Hall of Fame
* Complete the National Pokédex, excluding Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect
* Collect all 100 Pokémon Musical Props
* Obtain all 33 Entralink pass powers
* Defeat both Ingo and Emmet on the Super Single and Super Double lines on the Battle Subway

upandaway

Fewr said:
The achievements?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_stars#Black_and_White

* Get a record in the Hall of Fame
* Complete the National Pokédex, excluding Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect
* Collect all 100 Pokémon Musical Props
* Obtain all 33 Entralink pass powers
* Defeat both Ingo and Emmet on the Super Single and Super Double lines on the Battle Subway
Argh. I'll do it on the 3rd iteration like usual.

I didn't even know there are 33..

N4Us

Morokh said:
At the beginning of a match the other person threw me a damn Grumpig !
I was like WHAT ? does it even exist ? didn't even know his type :D

Not a lot of randoms have been prepared for my Ice Beam Zangoose.

By any chance is there a doubles faq out there? I have no clue what pokemon to team up together. I wanted to give double battles and triple battles a try.

Top Bottom