• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Xavien said:
I usually consult the one at http://pokemondb.net/type its pretty simple. They also have a dual type chart up there too.
Oh yeah, I used that one when playing Pokemon Platinum. Thanks. :)

Double types are a bit overwhelming for me. @_@
btkadams said:
i find the battles really fast. mash that A button! haha. it's really hard going back to heartgold/soulsilver/plat after playing the new games because everything (basically just the text but damn) seems so slow.
True, but the core battle system still feels archaic. I wish Atlus' designers would team up with Game Freak, and the battle system was more like Persona 3/4 when it comes to switching Pokemon. I realize that the competitive angle throws a monkey wrench into things, but then that makes things make even less sense. I don't think I could ever get into the competitive scene, unlike the trading card game.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I need a Mandibuzz (#630), which is Black-specific Pokemon. Can anyone trade me one? I can breed you anything from any of the Gens.

I also need someone who's willing to trade me a Tornadus that I will immediately trade back. I just need it on my Pokedex so I can offer some stuff on the GTS for it.

My FC is 4727 7403 4709

Edit: Nvm, got 'em.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I got a Mandibuzz but I still really need someone who will trade me their Tornadus for a second so I can get it in my Pokedex.

Man, this Community-side topic is killer. It used to take, like, two minutes to find someone to trade with in the DP thread.

Edit: Nvm, got 'em.

Sagitario

Morokh said:
Pokemon you get have some attacks, and most of all unique abilities that you can't find anywhere else.
But if you don't care about battling online theres no real point of trying too hard.

Oh well... I guess I won't try too hard :p. Thanks.

Xavien

ninj4junpei said:
Oh yeah, I used that one when playing Pokemon Platinum. Thanks. :)

Double types are a bit overwhelming for me. @_@

True, but the core battle system still feels archaic. I wish Atlus' designers would team up with Game Freak, and the battle system was more like Persona 3/4 when it comes to switching Pokemon. I realize that the competitive angle throws a monkey wrench into things, but then that makes things make even less sense. I don't think I could ever get into the competitive scene, unlike the trading card game.

Indeed, whats worse is that some pokemon give no inclination of being dual-type until you look it up or experiment. Take slowbro for example, assume water only, but nope its water/psychic, which has a different set of resistances and weaknesses. Then you have quagsire, which is immune to electric and water (if it has the right ability), but looks like a water pokemon not water/ground. Just yesterday i got completely owned by the last of the elite 4 in soul silver because my fire pokemon tried to use fire attacks on a houndoom (which is dark/fire and has an ability which boosts its fire moves when attacked with fire moves), even my water types couldn't stand against it.

I wish that if I've already caught the pokemon before it would put the enemies pokemons type/s in the battle screen instead of me having to look up its typing. Maybe that'll be an upgrade in a future game :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Blu_LED said:
What's the best nature for Deino? Is it even worth it for him to have his ability?

Modest, or Timid are the best natures. Modest for power, Timid for speed. You don't really want to mix attack because nearly every Pokemon will take his special attacks just as hard.. and you're not giving up decent defenses/splitting EVs.

Levitate is good to have because Earthquake is such a common move. It lets him avoid things like Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Arena Trap and other moves/abilities too. It's always welcome.

Xavien said:
I wish that if I've already caught the pokemon before it would put the enemies pokemons type/s in the battle screen instead of me having to look up its typing. Maybe that'll be an upgrade in a future game :p
Exactly. Game Freak has much to learn from Atlus. What's the point of haveing a Pokedex if you can't even use it during battle? The should release a physical Pokedex like they did a long time ago. At least we have Bulbapedia and other such websites these days.

Schmitty said:
I've never understood this sentiment. Pokemon is all about the battles. Why do you want to rush through them?

so I can battle MOAR

ninj4junpei said:
Exactly. Game Freak has much to learn from Atlus. What's the point have a Pokedex if you can't even use it during battle? The should release a physical Pokedex like they did a long time ago. At least we have Bulbapedia and other such websites these days.

PokéDex should definitely be a command in battle and let you check a Pokémon's typing if you've already caught it. At least that would give me an incentive to catch them all.

Holy Order Sol said:
PokéDex should definitely be a command in battle and let you a Pokémon's typing if you've already caught it. At least that would give me an incentive to catch them all.
Exactly. There's a second frakin' screen; use it Game Freak. *crosses fingers for Pokemon Gray/Whatever* I wonder if Nintendo outsources some of their money counting to Game Freak, which preoccupies them.

I just imagined a Pokemon/video game themed Kindle/eBook Reader. :O

Edit: The official eGuides are $20 a piece. *laughs hysterically* Fuck that shit.

Fewr

Could someone please provide a link to a good RNG guide for genV?
It's something I've never done, and I'd just like to learn how to get a shiny.

I just caught a timid level 38 Deino and here are it's stats;

HP: 94
Attack: 56
Defense: 48
Sp. Atk: 46
Sp. Def: 44
Speed: 41

I really know nothing about stats and how to interpret them. Is this one any good?

Fewr

Blu_LED said:

I really know nothing about stats and how to interpret them. Is this one any good?

From what I've read, you need an IV calculator such as the following: http://www.legendarypokemon.net/javacalc.html (don't know if it's good or not, it was the first result when I searched)

In case you don't know what IV and EVs are, here is a good guide:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

Blu_LED said:

It depends on it's IVs and EVs.
Fewr said:
From what I've read, you need an IV calculator such as the following: http://www.legendarypokemon.net/javacalc.html (don't know if it's good or not, it was the first result when I searched)

In case you don't know what IV and EVs are, here is a good guide:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon
That too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Blu_LED said:

This is one of the more basic calculators to use. 'IVs', which are randomly generated on wild Pokemon can range from 0-31, which will effect each stat. The guy you caught is mediocre, but I wouldn't stress about it too much if you're just having fun! ^_^

EvilMario said:
This is one of the more basic calculators to use. 'IVs', which are randomly generated on wild Pokemon can range from 0-31, which will effect each stat. The guy you caught is mediocre, but I wouldn't stress about it too much if you're just having fun! ^_^
I almost fell into the IV/EV trap while playing Pokemon Platinum, but I managed to put the game down and not touch it ever since. I don't know if I will be able to stay away this time. :(

N4Us

GTS Negotiations can be pretty sweet when you find someone who isn't a total idiot.

"No, I'm not trading a Spiritomb for the Lillipup you just caught..."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
N4Us said:
GTS Negotiations can be pretty sweet when you find someone who isn't a total idiot.

"No, I'm not trading a Spiritomb for the Lillipup you just caught..."

Really? Then I should find someone that are willing to handle over Event pokemons; Darkrai, Shaymin, Manaphy and Deoxys over to me since I really need those pokemons to complete my pokedex. Anyone willing in this thread?

Rapstah

IntelliHeath said:
Really? Then I should find someone that are willing to handle over Event pokemons; Darkrai, Shaymin, Manaphy and Deoxys over to me since I really need those pokemons to complete my pokedex. Anyone willing in this thread?
I don't think they're tradable, being legendary? And even so, if you haven't seen them, you can't recieve them over GTS.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rapstah said:
I don't think they're tradable, being legendary? And even so, if you haven't seen them, you can't recieve them over GTS.

Really? I haven't try GTS yet. I was focusing on pokedex hardcore to collect every pokemons from diamond, gold heart and white. If it don't work then I could ask someone to help me out on diamond or gold heart; if they can.

Rapstah

I am bothered by how Japanese everything about the Dream World is. The descriptions of all the games all practically start with "Let's".

Talking about translation, have you guys seen the Chinese translation to the Pokémon names in any generation? They're all very literal as to what the Pokémon is. Totodile is called 小鋸鱷 which means "SMALL SAW CROCODILE". Ridicolous.

upandaway

Finally got all mah power items. Little by little I ended up with a set that wins the normal Single Subway every time effortlessly, as in no thinking on my part. I'll use it to get other stuff like the Focus Sash too, for the Super Single team. The final version (that's my ingame team so no random IVs/Natures/Evs), as well as how it started in brackets:

Lead: Emboar @ Fire Gem (Brightpowder)
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge (Will-o-Wisp)
Brick Break
Earthquake

Haxorus @ Dragon Gem (Dragon Claw)
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Dance (I never use this)
Swords Dance (X-Scissor)

Krookodile @ Earth Gem (Expert Belt)
Earthquake
Crunch
Stone Edge
Outrage (I never use this)

I started tweaking them after every set to make it more reliable and faster, and before I knew it, I ended up with 3 gems and the strongest attacking moves
axfDd.gif
it was so simple all along! Just be as strong as possible and it'll work itself out!
But yeah I can get the 16 points in almost as many minutes with no trained Pokemon (I think two of them even have negative natures), so I'm happy!

Meanwhile, could anyone gimme Pokerus please (sometime in the weekend)? Once I got that I could start with the shiny Boldore training.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
upandaway said:
Finally got all mah power items. Little by little I ended up with a set that wins the normal Single Subway every time effortlessly, as in no thinking on my part. I'll use it to get other stuff like the Focus Sash too, for the Super Single team. The final version (that's my ingame team so no random IVs/Natures/Evs), as well as how it started in brackets:

Lead: Emboar @ Fire Gem (Brightpowder)
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge (Will-o-Wisp)
Brick Break
Earthquake

Haxorus @ Dragon Gem (Dragon Claw)
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Dance (I never use this)
Swords Dance (X-Scissor)

Krookodile @ Earth Gem (Expert Belt)
Earthquake
Crunch
Stone Edge
Outrage (I never use this)

I started tweaking them after every set to make it more reliable and faster, and before I knew it, I ended up with 3 gems and the strongest attacking moves
axfDd.gif
it was so simple all along! Just be as strong as possible and it'll work itself out!
But yeah I can get the 16 points in almost as many minutes with no trained Pokemon (I think two of them even have negative natures), so I'm happy!

Meanwhile, could anyone gimme Pokerus please (sometime in the weekend)? Once I got that I could start with the shiny Boldore training.

If you never use Dragon Dance on Haxorus, give him Substitute. If you know a status attack is coming from a slower Pokemon, you can Substitute in its face, and it lets you scout for moves. It works really well if you give him a Lum Berry.

The Lum Berry works on two levels. One, you can switch into status, or take status from something faster and put up the Substitute. Secondly, it will cure confusion caused by Outrage if need be.

Likewise on Krook. If you never use Outrage, you might go with Taunt, or Substitute. You could run Fire Fang as well, it'll help score more damage on things like Scizor, but it doesn't provide much in the way of coverage. Even running something like Protect can at least help with scouting.

Singles Battle Train is really simple.. and it's what I play if I just need some points for items. Try the Super Singles with your team, and get back to us though. :p

upandaway

EvilMario said:
Singles Battle Train is really simple.. and it's what I play if I just need some points for items. Try the Super Singles with your team, and get back to us though. :p
Last time I tried that I died on the 2nd trainer! haha
This team's worth is really getting points the fastest and with the least amount of concentration (so I can click while working) through improvising alone. It's why I didn't bother with anything like Sub or Taunt (not to mention... I'm fighting Tepigs and Patrats). I've been thinking about berries, but I just love that one-hit Outrage so much. It's my last-case scenario when Ingo gets really lucky.

I don't really plan on doing the Super Singles in White, either. I'm just doing things that I planned to do in the 3rd iteration anyway (that I can transfer to it, like training Pokemon/working on the Pokedex).

MarshMellow96 said:
So this is probably a dumb question..

Does this contain all 649 Pokemon, or do you have to transfer say, Charmander, from HeartGold?

Nope, just the 100-odd Gen 5 Pokemon. I think after you beat the game you get access to earlier gens.

Also, I find that this game is pretty unforgiving in access to Water Pokemon (at least there are a lot of Surf candidates). Then again it's been winter the last month so the puddles have been frozen.

Leveled my Pickup Lillipup to 16 to get a Surfing Herdier, only to lose Pickup. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
MarshMellow96 said:

Does this contain all 649 Pokemon, or do you have to transfer say, Charmander, from HeartGold?

Thanks to Dream World, we'll probably receive access to almost every Pokemon around. Except for the rare event Pokemon. It'll definitely take less time to transfer your older Pokemon over, however.

Morokh

MarshMellow96 said:

Here's a list of all Pokemons that can't be found in B/W (it's in French but pictures do the job :p there may be one or to mistakes in it but nothing major)
Some Pokemons on that list are obtainable from Dream World, the starters were given in a Dream World event in Japan too, so the list narrows down a bit further.

EvilMario said:
Thanks to Dream World, we'll probably receive access to almost every Pokemon around. Except for the rare event Pokemon. It'll definitely take less time to transfer your older Pokemon over, however.
Hackers are/will find(ing) a way! At least I hope so.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Some guy over GTS just traded me this for a Tirtouga...

Lv. 100 Cloyster@Leftovers
Nature: Brave
Ability: Skill Link
Icicle Spear
Shell Smash
Protect
Spikes

HP: 210
Atk: 317
Def: 394
Sp. Atk: 175
Sp. Def: 187
Speed: 151

0.o

N4Us

Rapstah said:

In regular GTS they need to be in your Pokedex, however you can get whatever in Negotiations.

I tucked in my first Pokemon (Sokka the Dewott), and it took longer than I thought it would. Perhaps I need to do some port forwarding on my router?

ninj4junpei said:
I tucked in my first Pokemon (Sokka the Dewott), and it took longer than I thought it would. Perhaps I need to do some port forwarding on my router?
Nah, it always takes a few seconds to do.

On another note, when will we recieve the bracket for the tourney? I'm getting nervous over here, heh o_o;

ColtraineGF said:
Nah, it always takes a few seconds to do.

On another note, when will we recieve the bracket for the tourney? I'm getting nervous over here, heh o_o;
It was more than a few seconds.

Xavien

IntelliHeath said:
Really? I haven't try GTS yet. I was focusing on pokedex hardcore to collect every pokemons from diamond, gold heart and white. If it don't work then I could ask someone to help me out on diamond or gold heart; if they can.

You can't trade event pokemon on GTS because they have a special ribbon which prevents it, you can however transfer them to a newer gen game, you can also trade them locally to another game of the same generation.

BTW just caught my first shiny... in Soul Silver no less lol, Hooray for green machop. Sadly I prefer non-shiny machop in looks :(

IMHO, if you get pokemon white, you'll probably get a chance to catch about a 30-50% of those 649 pokemon, the rest you have to trade for over GTS (but you have to have seen them first) or GTS negotiations. The previous gens legendaries are nowhere to be found in either black or white though, so to get all 646 you'll need to trade or buy an earlier gen game and catch em then transfer them over.

To get all 646 you'll probably need White, SS/HG and Platinum and some additional GTS trading for some game exclusive legendaries (even then some are rather hard to get, like the legendary golems from RSE, which you'll either have to transfer from RSE all the way to White or get an event regigigas and use it in Platinum) or you can wait and hope that grey has more previous gen pokemon.

Xavien said:
To get all 646 you'll probably need White, SS/HG and Platinum and some additional GTS trading for some game exclusive legendaries (even then some are rather hard to get, like the legendary golems from RSE, which you'll either have to transfer from RSE all the way to White or get an event regigigas and use it in Platinum) or you can wait and hope that grey has more previous gen pokemon.
Platinum and/or SS/HG + one of those .pkm transfer programs = you can get anything. Unless that doesn't work anymore. Of course, that's kind of cheating. ;)

I really like the Dream World, though the limitations are a bit bothersome.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
ninj4junpei said:
Platinum and/or SS/HG + one of those .pkm transfer programs = you can get anything. Unless that doesn't work anymore. Of course, that's kind of cheating. ;)
That's the definition of cheating. ;)

Roto13

ColtraineGF said:
Something I learned today: You can't send a Pokémon with Vital Spirit/Insomnia to DW. That's some detail.
Oh is THAT why my Viggoroth can't go to the Dream World? That's kind of awesome.

N4Us

Can't get a Water Stone to pop up for the life of me. Getting everything else though. Damnit, I just want my Starmie and Ludicolo...

Top Bottom