• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man I REAAAALLLLY want to play this game, but still haven't made a decision on the portable front. My DS Lite is borked because the cracked hinge lead to a break lead to my top screen not functioning last year. I waited to see what was coming 3DS wise, but $250 is expensive. Yet it's hard for me to rebuy a DS at this point.

One of my good PC gaming friend's has Black too, and said he'd play multi with me if I ever get it too. UGH what to do!!!

btkadams

Brettison said:
Man I REAAAALLLLY want to play this game, but still haven't made a decision on the portable front. My DS Lite is borked because the cracked hinge lead to a break lead to my top screen not functioning last year. I waited to see what was coming 3DS wise, but $250 is expensive. Yet it's hard for me to rebuy a DS at this point.

One of my good PC gaming friend's has Black too, and said he'd play multi with me if I ever get it too. UGH what to do!!!
if you think you will use the 3ds in the future then it's worth it i suppose.

i've put 150 hours into pokemon black so far ha.

Roto13

Well, you can probably get a cheap used DS on Craigslist or something. Just something to tide you over until the 3DS comes down in price.

This story is hardly worth sharing but it blew my mind so here it is anyway.

I can't seem to catch a ditto for nothing. I spend about an hour wandering around the giant chasm just trying to see one and when I do, the little suckers refuse to stay in the frigging pokeball and end up fainting on me. So I decided to heck with it and go after the ice dragon. I walk up to this legendary beastie, lead off with Mienshao, survive a glaciation to get off a high jump kick which sends it straight into the red. I toss one Ultra Ball and catch it straight away. Frigging Dittos.

Aside: originally posted in dead OT, my bad. Now that I have the game guess I'll save this thread.

isny

napkin dispenser
I caught my Reshiram with a quick ball last night. It was lawl. No wonder some of you say they're the new Master Ball...

Sagitario

Finished Black the day before yesterday.

All I can say is "WOW!". What an epic final sequence.

The story sucked ["Let's make a hero so he can tell people to release their Pokeymanz"... I can't believe GF spent 1.5 years preparing the scenario :p] and the way Ghetsis was
arrested
was so anticlimactic, but everything else was truly amazing: from the moment you arrive at the Pokémon League, when you enter
N's castle
, when the
Gym Leaders appear to stop the Seven Sages
[sooo cool], going through each floor and finding more details about your enemy... I loved it... but I must admit, the best part of all that was the freaking music :D, seriously, what a great soundtrack this game has, it made the battles and locations like... 10 times better =) . My favorite OST so far this year.

Some semi-random bullet points about the game:
- Battling the
Seven Sages and the Shadow Triad
would have been so cool [some kind of 2nd quest like HG/SS].
- What about those girls in
N's castle
? I wanted to know more :p (I know I said the story sucks, but the final moments of the game were so epic)
- I got tired of the Unova monsters really quickly: all the trainers used the same non-evolved forms. It was really boring that way, not even the Gym leaders monsters were interesting (the E4 corrected that a bit, but it was too late by that point).
- All the music rocked, but the main/normal battle theme started to really get on my nerves around the 7th gym.
- Was it just me or the bag navigation (scroll speed) was REALLY slow?
- The rate of Pokémon encounters... I don't think I've ever used so many Repels :p
- I haven't had a chance to use the C-gear, well... maybe "opportunity" would be a better word (probably if I was surrounded by other players).
- I can't say this enough: the soundtrack is amazing :) .

btkadams

isny said:
I caught my Reshiram with a quick ball last night. It was lawl. No wonder some of you say they're the new Master Ball...
uhhh the catch rate for reshiram/zekrom are higher than most pokemon. it's so someone doesn't get fucked over at that point since you basically need to catch it in order to move on in the story. quick balls are great but those legendaries aren't something you should judge them on.

After going through countless amounts of houses, I've managed to find 5 out of the 6 EV-reducing berries on various share shelves and add them to my collection. FUCK YEAH

Don't have to wait until I gain access to the Sky World to get them now!

Wichu

AzureJericho said:
No one here has spare shiny Litwick family members? I'm hurting for a shiny Chandelure and GTS is trolling me with offers for them in exchange for lvl. 9 or under legendaries. >:|
I have a shiny Lampent, but it's part of my team. I guess I can try and catch another shiny Litwick or two.
I still haven't traded my Pokémon back from my brother's game onto my new save file, so those wanting flawless Ditto will have to wait a while longer.

r4z4

After completing the storyline I can never seem to keep myself invested in Pokemon games :( I messed about with GTS and managed to get a nice horde of legendaries and visited the Dream World a few times but thats about it. Time to wait for the next installment!

Andrex said:
I think I'm going to try and get a shiny.

Black-Wing, halp!
LMAO!
I'm loving your takes on my user-name! :p

I can help you if you're going to RNG Shiny Pokemon (breed or not, that also have beastly IVs. I mean DAMN at Toothless! I didn't expect that but I guess thats the good side to breeding with a flawless Ditto and a pimping Haxorus. I'm gonna train him on my Black Game along with my Beastly Shiny Scraggy+Shiny Zangoose because they deserve it).

I want to do Char next but the thing is, in order too hit the same seed for my Shiny Axew/ Scraggy/ Zangoose/ Ponyta I have to have one with the right nature first PLUS my Flawless Ditto PLUS the Power Item for SP.A to be forced down (That seed has a base Sp.A of ZERO but a base of 30 in everything else which works great for the Adamant/ Jolly natures like the ones above but Char needs a nature for Sp.A AND a good chance of getting a 30/31 in SP.A)

Xavien

Wow, just traded a level 1 Timburr for a Shiny Probopass on GTS.

First Shiny evar :p Seriously 277 hours and no shiny :/

dc89

Victrix said:
I will persevere through this sea of Under Level 9 bullshit and trade my way to a Zekrom, oh yes, I will

I got my Zekrom for a lvl 1 Zorua =D

Im upto Rage Lake on HeartGold now but some of my mon are seriously underlvl'd, I miss Audino's =[

Xavien

Schmitty said:
Negotiations or regular GTS?

Regular, Negotiations always sucks for me. Always someone showing off Legendaries or Shinies, or people with like 6 pokemon total in their boxes.

Does anyone have a pokemon from the Gabile/Garbite/Garchomp line that i could trade with? Have all starters and quite a few others to trade.

Roto13

I just spent like an hour trading some of my own high-level Pokemon for shinies. Seriously. I must have tripled the number of shinies I have. I wonder how many of them are legitimate. :p
Xavien said:
Wow, just traded a level 1 Timburr for a Shiny Probopass on GTS.

First Shiny evar :p Seriously 277 hours and no shiny :/
What's the Probopass' original trainer?

Xavien

Roto13 said:
What's the Probopass' original trainer?

Some japanese name, I checked the IVs after i got it (i know they can be faked but who would fake a shiny with relatively average IVs?), seems legit.

dc89

Xavien said:
Does anyone have a pokemon from the Gabile/Garbite/Garchomp line that i could trade with? Have all starters and quite a few others to trade.

I'll go breed you one now!

Victrix

*beard*
Speaking of the (useless) GTS, which out of the way countries have you found to be useful to search? Other than US/Japan of course. I've had some luck with Canada, France, Australia, but not many other places.

The inability to browse more than 7 results per search is infuriating, but given how much other stupid is packed into the GTS, I shouldn't be surprised.

Xavien

dc89 said:
I'll go breed you one now!

Awesome thanks :)

Victrix said:
Speaking of the (useless) GTS, which out of the way countries have you found to be useful to search? Other than US/Japan of course. I've had some luck with Canada, France, Australia, but not many other places.

The inability to browse more than 7 results per search is infuriating, but given how much other stupid is packed into the GTS, I shouldn't be surprised.

I used to go by country, but nowadays i go by gender (except for those without gender or only male/female). If theres more than 7 entries for that gender then i go through the countries. I've found the UK and Germany to be pretty good (traded a lvl 1 evee for a lvl 100 hypno from the UK), but mostly the countries you mentioned.

Also, yes 7 entries at a time sucks :/

dc89

Ok Xavien its ready, I really need to catch a mon with Flame Body :x

FC is 2nd to bottom on the list! Just trade any White only Pokemon if you don't have any just throw a random at me =)

Xavien

dc89 said:
Ok Xavien its ready, I really need to catch a mon with Flame Body :x

FC is 2nd to bottom on the list! Just trade any White only Pokemon if you don't have any just throw a random at me =)

Awesome, thanks :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
LMAO!
I'm loving your takes on my user-name! :p

I can help you if you're going to RNG Shiny Pokemon (breed or not, that also have beastly IVs. I mean DAMN at Toothless! I didn't expect that but I guess thats the good side to breeding with a flawless Ditto and a pimping Haxorus. I'm gonna train him on my Black Game along with my Beastly Shiny Scraggy+Shiny Zangoose because they deserve it).

I want to do Char next but the thing is, in order too hit the same seed for my Shiny Axew/ Scraggy/ Zangoose/ Ponyta I have to have one with the right nature first PLUS my Flawless Ditto PLUS the Power Item for SP.A to be forced down (That seed has a base Sp.A of ZERO but a base of 30 in everything else which works great for the Adamant/ Jolly natures like the ones above but Char needs a nature for Sp.A AND a good chance of getting a 30/31 in SP.A)

I'll PM you since it's going to be in my tourney team.

upandaway

I, um, okay, guess I'm not breeding that Smeargle!

I put False Swipe on Haxorus again, Thunder Wave on Reuniclus, grabbed the Crobat I caught somewhere and made him relearn Mean Look... and went for it. Victiny, Kyurem, Volcarona and Thundurus caught today.

I'm kind of at a loss what to do. I don't really wanna work on the Pokedex since I traditionally do that on the 3rd installment. I have a lot of time outside but not so much at home, so it's not really optimal to try and build a team.

Oh well, I'll find something.

Victrix

*beard*
So I finished Black and had a good time with it - first Pokemon game I've played in a bazillion years.

So query - post-game content now, or go play Platinum?

So today I hatched an Eevee (yes, just one) out of boredom and got this:

Eevee - #133 (Modest)
HP: 31
Att: 20 - 23
Def: 16 - 17
SpA: 31
SpD: 30
Speed: 31

Now to decide...

upandaway

Holy Order Sol said:
So today I hatched an Eevee (yes, just one) out of boredom and got this:

Eevee - #133 (Modest)
HP: 31
Att: 20 - 23
Def: 16 - 17
SpA: 31
SpD: 30
Speed: 31

Now to decide...
Espeon
Jolteon
Espeon
Umbreon

...Espeon.

Rapstah

What would be the most out-of-place and hilarious (while preferrably competible) move lineup to teach a Smeargle? It'd probably be best if the moves were sketchable from random encounters.

jman2050

Rapstah said:
What would be the most out-of-place and hilarious (while preferrably competible) move lineup to teach a Smeargle? It'd probably be best if the moves were sketchable from random encounters.

Frenzy Plant
Blast Burn
Hydro Cannon
Splash

Rapstah said:

Aqua Ring
Leech Seed
Ingrain
Baton Pass

yo i herd u liek HP

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rapstah said:

Spore [Foongus / Amoonguss]
Belly Drum [Darumaka / Darmanitan]
Explosion [Trubbish / Garbodor]
Sucker Punch [Purrloin / Liepard]

Sweeping Smeargle it is not (which would require Extremespeed and Substitute.. not easy to find on most wild Pokemon), but with Spore it can put a Pokemon to sell, Belly Drum its attack to decent levels.. with a STAB Explosion and Sucker Punch for quick Ghost (and others), it should do something. The only common move the set carries is Spore, which is just too good to pass up.

D-Pad

Sagitario said:
Finished Black the day before yesterday....

Some semi-random bullet points about the game:
- Battling the
Seven Sages and the Shadow Triad
would have been so cool [some kind of 2nd quest like HG/SS].
- What about those girls in
N's castle
? I wanted to know more :p (I know I said the story sucks, but the final moments of the game were so epic)

Pokemon Gray will expand upon the story... It must.

B E L I E V E

upandaway

Spr_5b_525_s.png

YES IT IS

YES IT IS

YES IT IS

AND IT'S MINE

I am no longer a shiny virgin *sniff* found him while looking for a Deino. I named him Bolbro.

yes the original colors look better on Gigalith, shut up I know

Roto13

upandaway said:
Spr_5b_525_s.png

YES IT IS

YES IT IS

YES IT IS

AND IT'S MINE

I am no longer a shiny virgin *sniff* found him while looking for a Deino. I named him Bolbro.

yes the original colors look better on Gigalith, shut up I know
Shiny Boldore is sexy. Want some help evolving it?

upandaway

Roto13 said:
Shiny Boldore is sexy. Want some help evolving it?
Nah I'm cool for now, thanks. No rush to evolve him, although he will look way better. Gigalith is one awesome fucker.

I just love my life right now.

upandaway

Roto13 said:
Are you going to use it on your team? It's kind of satisfying. :p
That's the thing, I already use a Gigalith on my team. I can't just replace them based on their appearance, that's racist!

Besides he's Impish (-def +sp.atk) and the IV calc says his stats are impossible
axfDd.gif
so for now he just makes me feel happy.

MicH said:
Are you gonna nickname him GigaBro when you evolve him?
I... I don't know. I'll have to think about this.

yeb

upandaway said:
That's the thing, I already use a Gigalith on my team. I can't just replace them based on their appearance, that's racist!

Besides he's Impish (-def +sp.atk) and the IV calc says his stats are impossible
axfDd.gif
so for now he just makes me feel happy.

I... I don't know. I'll have to think about this.
I think you have the menu colors mixed up, Impish is +Def and -SpA, a really good nature for him. Clearly, you need a better calculator:
http://metalkid.info.microsoft2008hosting.com/Pokemon/Calculators/IVs.aspx

Top Bottom