• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Fantomex

Finally got a milotic in PB1. Most time consuming Pokemon catch ever. Right up there with my breeding Gallade process. What a slippery bastard. I don't think I'll ever try to get a shiny. I'm now traumatized.

Let's be fair, ripoff is about right. I don't mind; I love Smash enough to try out another game in the style. I haven't played PSASBR yet, so I'm withholding judgement, but what the game is going for plainly goes beyond inspiration.

It's on a rip-off aesthetically. If you go deeper than the surface, you'll find that the entire infrastructure is completely different from Smash.

Also, I'd like to address the use of the term "rip-off." It's only really considered a ripoff because Smash has a monopoly on the genre. I mean, you don't see people calling BlazBlue a Street Fighter ripoff, even though the level of difference between BB and SS is about the same as SSB and PSASBR.

I don't mean to attack anyone in particular; just wanted to get that off my chest.

Seems like a poor comparison.

And don't get defensive. You're allowed to like what you like.

Eh, I think it's a pretty fair comparison.

Also, I'm not trying to be overtly defensive, I'm just trying to keep the opinions of those who haven't had any time with it neutral. "It's a ripoff; I'm not even trying it" is one of the saddest attitudes ever considering how polished the game is.

Mm, the comparison btwn. BlazBlue and SF isn't too apt - BlazBlue followed ASW's prior efforts on the Guilty Gear series, which has been their thing since the 90s. People knew them for making that kind of game, not to mention there are tons and tons of 2D fighting games. SSB's style is... a little more unique and recognizable :p

And it didn't help that the reveal video was tagged smash bros, lol.

But it would be best for it to just show what it can do. Didn't stop the Pokeclones one bit, after all.

It's on a rip-off aesthetically. If you go deeper than the surface, you'll find that the entire infrastructure is completely different from Smash.

Also, I'd like to address the use of the term "rip-off." It's only really considered a ripoff because Smash has a monopoly on the genre. I mean, you don't see people calling BlazBlue a Street Fighter ripoff, even though the level of difference between BB and SS is about the same as SSB and PSASBR.

I don't mean to attack anyone in particular; just wanted to get that off my chest.

Hey, no, it's cool. Not wanting to offend anyone, and I realise that the game has been piled on way too much.

You can't deny how much, as a mascot brawler if nothing else, of a debt it owes, though.

I'm going to stand up for Sony clusterfuck punch up (not actual title, but it totally should be), it's pretty fun from what I played of the beta, yeah there's some SSB inspiration but it's solid enough on its own merits. The kill system is still a bit ho-hum to me but it's got the makings of a good game.

The only thing i'm dreading is the addition of new stages to that smash cycle because of it.

Stage On

Just watch Sengoku Basara, that's close enough.

Close enough? Not hardly

0.jpg

Hey, no, it's cool. Not wanting to offend anyone, and I realise that the game has been piled on way too much.

You can't deny how much, as a mascot brawler if nothing else, of a debt it owes, though.

Undoubtedly. I'm pretty sure that the devs have indirectly stated so in the past, as well.

There should be a special Smash Bros. with an entire roster of Pokémon. I'd buy the mess out of that.

Also, what I played of the PSASBR beta was terrific. Smash Bros. inspired maybe, but the game stands entirely on its own merits.

Stage On

Man I wish the Pokedex pro app wasn't so overpriced. I'd love to get it just to take pictures of Pokemon in real places but not for $15

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You guys and gals do know that Pokédex 3D Pro has dexter's voice saying the name of each pokemon?

and it has really inane forms like all the Unown and Rotoms?

and it has these ridiculously easy quizzes?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was hoping someone would make that or a cartoon dexter joke.

No, the voice of the pokedex from the anime. specifically the male pokedex voice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hopefully you'll be lucky and never run into anyone in real life who has it. It's so damn cool.

I'm sure the next time I end up with random money left over from buying a game or two I'll just hit the button before I realize it.

Top Bottom