• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

It's obviously bogus, but that doesn't mean I'm not intrigued. Only 99 new Pokémon (with many being new evolutions/baby forms) would be a huge bummer, though.

I want them to add in a dedicated TM Shop similar to marts (think a record store) and make literally everything save for the god-tier moves like Sacred Fire available as TMs. They're all still unlimited-use, but given we already have 450+ moves it'd definitely be possible to keep you searching long into the postgame for moves. Ridiculous stuff like Draco Meteor could still stay tutor moves.

Ondore

Of the stuff posted in the rumor, the thing that scares me the most is X/Y being the first 3DS Miiverse game. Does that mean we won't see 3DS Miiverse until October?

MikeMyers

I need my physical high risk, high return water attack darn it! :mad:

I'm more of a aqua tail user tho that accuracy has screwed me over on occasion.

I use Aqua Tail for CB Gyarados, as Drizzle-boosted AT does more damage to Steels than Earthquake does, except for Magenzone (who is OHKO'd by Aqua Tail anyway).

Aqua Tail / Ice Fang / Double-Edge / Bite

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's been more stuff posted in the thread on /vp/, but I'm unsure of who's the original poster, and who's jokers. :p

But apparently Psychic/Rock and Ghost/Flying are Xerneas and Yveltal's forms, and there are "card suit/saint beasts" Legendaries: a heart-cobra, a spade-TRex, a diamond-tiger, and a club-peacock.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
All the stuff he posted in the thread answering questions:

>>11438709
The first Pokemon sent out in every match by a trainer will do a little stomp pose that spread the field around them. You never see your Trainer on the top-screen, as he's always on the bottom, instead it's like Stadium where Pokeballs appear from off-screen and such. They may change it up and spruce it some by the time it comes out in October, though.

>>11438782
They're planning to reveal all the Starter Evolutions pre-release this time around, so I've already learned quite a bit about them.
Grass/Flying, Fire/Psychic, and Water. Chespin is based on a helicopter/samara fruit (think a mammalian Garchomp), Fennekin looks a lot like Ninetales, with "lotus-shaped" ear fluff and tail, and Froakie becomes a giant, horned toad with tons of cloudy-fluff covering his body.

>>11438889
It's (Sylveon) Pure Normal. It evolves through the Bond System. Umbreon and Espeon are receiving new items to evolve them like they did in XD since Happiness has been replaced with Bonding, while other Happiness Evolutions are now Bonding Level Evolutions.

No new types. As I mentioned, thought, most of the New Pokemon I've learned of appear to be new dual-typing, so they seem to be trying to fill in all the holes.

Xerneas is Psychic/Rock and Yveltal is Ghost/Flying.

>>11439381
"Large amount of New Baby Pokemon and New Evolutions" when those are put together. There's about 10 Baby Pokemon, and around 20 Evolutions. And yes, Sylveon is the only new Eevee.

Yes. However, they're not focusing as much on the New Pokemon this time around since they introduced so many last Gen, instead focusing on new gameplay elements. It's up to you, though, as to which you prefer for them to put resources into.

I've seen a good amount of the Pokemon, although how much I know about them varies depending on when they're going to be showcased (some I know simply their design and typing, others I've only heard general descriptions and have yet to see), and, well, I can say this Gen will probably get a lot of mixed reactions.

Nope. And no Walking Feature has been implemented yet, and doesn't seem to be planned.. The Status Screen lets you "pet" them, which has their model perform different animations they have, and also the Bond System displays a little message about how the Pokemon feels towards you.

There doesn't seem to be any (Z-Legendary). Just Xerneas and Yveltal. At this point."Non-Cartridge" DLC Pokemon is a possibility thanks to the added power of the 3DS, so it may come later.

The other 4 Legendaries are a quartet, they're white and black animals, with the black parts resembling card suits. A large cobra with a heart-shaped hood and tail, a tiger with diamond patterns, a t-rex dinosaur with spade-shaped spikes, and a peacock with a club-shaped tail. Not sure about their typings.

Basic. Bonding is mainly done through methods akin to Happiness, raising as you play normally, so you don't necessarily need to go out of your way to do it. Petting doesn't actually raise the Bond.

>>11439906
Okay. I've seen atleast one evolution per Gen.
Pinsir. Has four-arms, four horns. It can remove its horns and hold them like swords it appears. Pure-Bug.
Flaaffy Split-Evolution. Quadrupedal ram with tesla-coil horns. Pure-Electric.
Hariyama Evolution. Mountain-colored (green bottom, brown top), with white hair and beard resembling clouds. Pure-Fighting.
Lumineon Evolution. Fins resemble figure-eights, like the infinity symbol, and it's got neon-red lines running on the edges of its body. Pure-Water.
Darumaka Split-Evolution. Turns into a snowman-looking ape, with little orange spots running down its chest, and its eyebrows are duller flames. Fire/Ice.

>>11440010
I believe they're referencing the Saint Beasts of Asian Lore, yet taking liberties. Bird, Dragon, Reptile, and Tiger.

>>11439905
Not sure if it's exactly considered a Pikachu, but one of the Pokemon is Electric/Steel, and resembles a metallic mouse, with a "computer mouse plug" tail. I don't see anything else that comes close to Pikachu, so that's probably it.

>>11440005
The last three Pokemon before the Legendaries are Dark/Electric. They seem to be based on "star life cycles", as the first one is little and star-shaped, the second one is huge and spherical, and the final one is more humanoid with vortex shapes on its body. They look powerful, so I'd guess they fulfill the BST layout, but I'm not sure of any base stats.

>>11440143
No Heracross evolution from what I can see, Pinsir is the only Pokemon I've seen this time around who gets both an evolution and pre-evolution. And no Camerupt Evolution, as far as I can tell.

>>11440206
Well, Pinsir is one I consider long-time fans wanting. And there is a Farfetch'd evolution, but it's pretty disappointing. Farfetch'd doesn't evolve, the LEEK itself grows into a cool sword-leek with a little (\___/) face on the end. Honestly I'm still wondering if the LEEK is a new Pokemon and it's a Mantine-Remoraid situation where Farfetch'ds model incorporates it or what. And then there's odd choices, like Sawk and Throh both seem to get one that look like Fist of the North Star rejects.

>>11442034
Last one before bed.

Region is very large, probably the largest thanks to the 3DS extra space, and is indeed based on France, with some of the Scandinavia peninsula located at the top of the map. I'd say the game is decently "open", but there's a solid order of Gyms, but enough side areas that you're not being pushed forward. The most striking thing about the Region from looking at the map is all the rivers flowing through the Region, but don't fret, there's not a lot of required Surfing. Speaking of which, HMs are still in, but none are required to get through the main campaign.

The Past-Era of the Region is broken up...you access different parts of it through the corresponding Present portal, and have smaller, cordoned-off areas to explore.

Stage On

Damn, I was imagining a ram-like Flaafy form yesterday. :|

Something like this?

fakemon__ex016_by_masterthecreater-d54ke1h.png

Firestorm

"Non-Cartridge" DLC Pokemon? Pfft yay right.
I remember talking to Marriland about this on a podcast we did right after X/Y were announced. It's very possible and I would even say probable that they do this. The 3DS has storage space for this type of thing so why not? It would require you to download the Pokemon before doing online matchup or ban them from use (like the Rotom formes in 4th gen) but it's definitely possible.

It's very possible and I would even say probable that they do this.

Would certainly get around the "pretending something you already know about doesn't exist" thing. Secret Pokemon could actually be secret instead of just having everything mined from the game data. Would be a huge boon for marketing.

Certainly seems reasonable to expect something like this going forward.

ffdgh

Oddly I prefer the somewhat layed back version with that questionable lucario and the lack of a serperior starter is appalling.

Slermy

Actually, I think that's very likely.

If nothing else, I'd say that the Event Legendaries won't be on the cart this time.

If so....

... CUSTOM POKéMON. I would think the likelyhood people would hack the games and insert their own models/stats/names would be very high if this were the case.

Stage On

I remember talking to Marriland about this on a podcast we did right after X/Y were announced. It's very possible and I would even say probable that they do this. The 3DS has storage space for this type of thing so why not? It would require you to download the Pokemon before doing online matchup or ban them from use (like the Rotom formes in 4th gen) but it's definitely possible.

Well if it does become true i hope they don't charge money for them. That would be outrageous

JoeM86

Well if it does become true i hope they don't charge money for them. That would be outrageous

Masuda has outright said that he is against making kids have to pay to get more of a game they've already paid for. We won't be getting paid DLC on main series games

Slermy

Masuda has outright said that he is against making kids have to pay to get more of a game they've already paid for. We won't be getting paid DLC on main series games

Masuda's a great man. I put incredible amounts of time into the Pokémon games, and I'm sure it's not even close to what most of the other posters here do. I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

But you know what?

I buy them... at launch... always. Including the "third releases" such as Emerald and Platinum. Even if I gave up video gaming as a past time, I'd still be sure to grab the main line pokémon titles.

Firestorm

pokemon_ar.jpg

Doubt they'd do "Buy Meloetta for $0.99" but they already have a paid application as the only way of getting formes of some Pokemon and went so far as to make both the formes and item untradeable.

zroid

Banned
Doubt they'd do "Buy Meloetta for $0.99" but they already have a paid application as the only way of getting formes of some Pokemon and went so far as to make both the formes and item untradeable.

I guess he can justify this because it's an actual game (even a shitty one whose purchase can only be rationalized because of the Pokemon you obtain from it). I mean, buying a game to get access to unique Pokemon is essentially the premise of the series.

Heh, watches that got burnt? Maybe he should invest in something more... fire-proof.

Yes. You'd think that as a Fire/Fighter he would have been more informed.

pokemon_ar.jpg

There is that whole "Catch the Cover Pokemon with Their Hidden Abilities" included in that game. Doesn't make up for the fact that the Therian formes are behind a paywall, but at least you get something out of it.

Top Bottom