• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Firestorm

I guess he can justify this because it's an actual game (even a shitty one whose purchase can only be rationalized because of the Pokemon you obtain from it). I mean, buying a game to get access to unique Pokemon is essentially the premise of the series.
No, having access to unique Pokemon to encourage trading is. This one specifically stops you from doing so.

zroid

Banned
No, having access to unique Pokemon to encourage trading is. This one specifically stops you from doing so.

Eh, that's a core part of the underlying gameplay, but in theory, people purchase new Pokemon games in order to get access to the new Pokemon therein.

Buy game -> get Pokemon.

Trade -> get other Pokemon.

tumblr_m86h2xmxaH1r79eza.gif

I'll be sure to never face Ash in the ring when his cap is backwards

pokemon_ar.jpg

Doubt they'd do "Buy Meloetta for $0.99" but they already have a paid application as the only way of getting formes of some Pokemon and went so far as to make both the formes and item untradeable.

Apart from the whole "making it untradeable" thing there's a whole lotta precedent for this though. Jirachi in Channel, Mew in Ranch, Manaphy in Ranger etc. Dream Radar is just that at a micro level.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Apart from the whole "making it untradeable" thing there's a whole lotta precedent for this though. Jirachi in Channel, Mew in Ranch, Manaphy in Ranger etc. Dream Radar is just that at a micro level.

Hell, at least Dream Radar adds more than just one Pokemon. Not only do you get the Kami trio for BW2, but also other Pokemon with their dream world abilities. Like Regenerator Ho-oh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Masuda has outright said that he is against making kids have to pay to get more of a game they've already paid for. We won't be getting paid DLC on main series games

What about when you have to pay extra money for a movie ticket, or pre-order tickets, to get Event Legendaries and such. :p

When Ash puts his hack back these days stuff gets real and he takes down legendary Pokemon.

He does it so rarely now that when it does happen it's a "holy cow" moment

When you really think about it though, Ash is a loser.

Hear me out, most of his gym badges were obtained without properly defeating the gym leaders (for example: Brock gave his badge out of pity, saving the Celadon gym from a fire, etc.), he doesn't take chances to catch powerful pokemon in the wild or legendaries for that matter, and when his pokemon do become powerful he either releases them (Charizard, Pidgeot, Lapras). The most important thing to note however is that he has never won/completed a pokemon league, ever. He can turn his cap backwards all he wants, that's no going to help him win any matches or, dare I say, become a pokemon master.

Nebula

Hear me out, most of his gym badges were obtained without properly defeating the gym leaders (for example: Brock gave his badge out of pity, saving the Celadon gym from a fire, etc.), he doesn't take chances to catch powerful pokemon in the wild or legendaries for that matter, and when his pokemon do become powerful he either releases them (Charizard, Pidgeot, Lapras). The most important thing to note however is that he has never won/completed a pokemon league, ever. He can turn his cap backwards all he wants, that's no going to help him win any matches or, dare I say, become a pokemon master.

I think how easily we can become a Pokemon master in the game makes Ash seem like an even bigger loser as well.

REMOVE THIS MOVE FROM THE GAME

Never! All physically defensive water Pokemon need a special-based move that can half an opponent's attack. It's not like people would use Scald just to burn your opponent.
Watch Gamefreak gives it to a Pokemon with Serene Grace.

On the topic of Ash, he's just suffering from overexposure. Any plot holes can be blamed on the writers trying to make up reasons for the character to stay relevant. It's just getting ridiculous that after the 786 episodes and 16 movies, he never succeeded.

braves01

Banned
So, I finally picked up White 2 as part of that Best Buy deal a week ago and I have to say...this may be the best Pokemon ever. Or at least, better than the Diamond, Gold, Red gens. I've only played Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, and a little bit of Diamond (15 hours), but this seems leagues beyond those. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Boss Doggie

Scald is awesome. Sometimes I even prefer it over Surf or Hydro Pump because lolburns

So, I finally picked up White 2 as part of that Best Buy deal a week ago and I have to say...this may be the best Pokemon ever. Or at least, better than the Diamond, Gold, Red gens. I've only played Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, and a little bit of Diamond (15 hours), but this seems leagues beyond those. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Not at all mah boy

IllumiNate

Will u be able to transfer Pokes to X/Y? If so I'll buy White 2 tomorrrow

Will u be able to transfer Pokes to X/Y? If so I'll buy White 2 tomorrrow

This one is still an unknown, but I think they won't do it again - the last time a road block happened, it's because of fundamental incompatibilities between the hardware.

Regarding 3DS from DS, there are several points, hardware side, in favour of a possible transfer:

Downloaded 3DS apps have read and write access to the SLOT-1, even for a Nintendo DS game.
It's possible for a 3DS application to directly communicate with another different kind of device directly through wireless (to Wii is one example), and now Wii U and the like. What's not to say that we can do the same for the DS, without even bothering to run in BC mode?

And don't forget the data structure should still remain fairly similar. We're with this 3 gens in...

A little wrong. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are better than Black/White which are better than Black 2/White 2 but yeah B2/W2 are better than RBY and GSC (and RSE for that matter).

Boss Doggie

A little wrong. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are better than Black/White which are better than Black 2/White 2 but yeah B2/W2 are better than RBY and GSC (and RSE for that matter).

Gen V is already better than DPPt by virtue of being faster and more streamlined with better mon distribution. :p

Gen V is already better than DPPt by virtue of being faster and more streamlined with better mon distribution. :p

Faster/streamlined gameplay systems doesn't mean much when they're just placed on a big circle. Sinnoh is much more interesting to adventure in than Unova. Black/White's narrative focus was interesting, though.

Very much this and that's just the tip of the superiority iceberg.

edit: But yeah, Sinnoh's map is pretty sweet, I mean aside from the constant blocked off points making the whole place more linear than it should be based on its appearance.

Boss Doggie

Faster/streamlined gameplay systems doesn't mean much when they're just placed on a big circle. Sinnoh is much more interesting to adventure in than Unova. Black/White's narrative focus was interesting, though.

Eh, it's a "faux" unlinearity though. What's the point of being unlinear if the gyms are all too similar?

JoeM86

What about when you have to pay extra money for a movie ticket, or pre-order tickets, to get Event Legendaries and such. :p

Those are special bonuses. You get them as a gift for seeing the movie. It's not seen as you HAVE to see the movie to get them

pokemon_ar.jpg

Doubt they'd do "Buy Meloetta for $0.99" but they already have a paid application as the only way of getting formes of some Pokemon and went so far as to make both the formes and item untradeable.

It's its own game, albeit not a very good one. The only reason they did it was to give 3DS users something to whet their appetite

That was true in Kanto, but since then he has earned EVERY one of his badges. He even wanted to refuse a badge because he won due to extenuating circumstances (Pikachu got superpowered by one of Wattson's roboRaikous and he whitewashed Wattson's team) and even recently, a Gym Leader was wanting to give up because of Ash's good strategy, but decided to stay on. Yes, there have been instances, even recently, of the Gym Leaders showing pity, Elesa allowing Ash to exit and change his strategy half way through and Roxie being cocky and saying she'll battle Ash 3 VS 6 and still win, but Ash has shown strategy countless times. Remember, leagues aren't like in the games.

People keep taking aspects of the original series (Ash never evolving Pokémon, releasing Pokémon, never earning Gym Badges himself) and assume it's true now.

Look at the Pokémon Ash has and has in reserves

Pikachu
Tauros
Muk
Heracross
Kingler
Charizard (Yes it's in reserves, it's even coming back in Japan in two weeks)
Squirtle
Bulbasaur
Snorlax
Bayleef
Quilava
Totodile
Donphan
Noctowl
Torkoal
Glalie
Sceptile
Swellow
Corphish
Gliscor
Torterra
Infernape
Buizel
Gible
Staraptor
Snivy
Oshawott
Scraggy (The last three annoyingly have yet to evolve)
Pignite
Boldore
Palpitoad
Leavanny
Unfezant
Krookodile

So tell me, how many of those Pokémon are not evolved? Now, let's look at Pokémon he has released

Butterfree
Pidgeot
Primeape (though according to the recent opening, that's being classed as in training to be called upon)
Lapras

He hasn't released a Pokémon since 1999.

You've been Serebii'd :p

Macka

So I've just started my first Nuzlocke challenge, and it's not going well. I'm playing Soul Silver, but I've activated a randomizer cheat code so that every wild Pokemon is random...I could get anything!

Anyway, the very first Pokemon I encountered (that I was allowed to catch) was an Articuno. My first thought was 'fantastic' until I realized (three Pokeballs in) that I probably wasn't going to be able to catch him. He ended up killing me. Restart.

Second time around I ran into an Entei. Didn't even bother trying to catch him and just ran away. In the next area I managed to catch a Squirtle, so my team at that point (after a little training) was:

Squirtle Lv. 8
Cyndaquil Lv.7

Enter Dark Cave looking for my third Pokemon...a wild Garchomp appears. I have Squirtle out and believe I can take it. It uses Dragon Rage. Squirtle dead. I try and run away with Cyndaquil, but couldn't escape. Dragon Raaaaagggee. Restart.

Looking forward to more instances of this. Maybe you'll even get to Serebii me.

That sounds like some sort of weird innuendo.

Oh, and if we're on the topic of BW2's superiority, that statement is absolutely correct. I slightly prefer the original BW myself, but at the very, absolute least, BW2 are the best games mechanically and have by far the most content.

Oh, and if we're on the topic of BW2's superiority, that statement is absolutely correct. I slightly prefer the original BW myself, but at the very, absolute least, BW2 are the best games mechanically and have by far the most content.

I had a very good time with White 2.

Looking forward to X and Y.

789shadow

Banned
So I've just started my first Nuzlocke challenge, and it's not going well. I'm playing Soul Silver, but I've activated a randomizer cheat code so that every wild Pokemon is random...I could get anything!

Anyway, the very first Pokemon I encountered (that I was allowed to catch) was an Articuno. My first thought was 'fantastic' until I realized (three Pokeballs in) that I probably wasn't going to be able to catch him. He ended up killing me. Restart.

Second time around I ran into an Entei. Didn't even bother trying to catch him and just ran away. In the next area I managed to catch a Squirtle, so my team at that point (after a little training) was:

Squirtle Lv. 8
Cyndaquil Lv.7

Enter Dark Cave looking for my third Pokemon...a wild Garchomp appears. I have Squirtle out and believe I can take it. It uses Dragon Rage. Squirtle dead. I try and run away with Cyndaquil, but couldn't escape. Dragon Raaaaagggee. Restart.
You may have made an error in judgement with that randomizer.

I swear. Everyone keeps on ignoring his Raticate. I know he only had it for one episode, but that thing had freaking Jump Kick.
I really want Raticate to get Jump Kick.

Boss Doggie

Yikes

Charizard and Gliscor (as well as Squirtle) have both been called upon after being "released". Primeape has not

Ash probably forgot him. :p

Anyway, creepy/gross/"oh god" Pokedex entries?

Out of my head, Heatmor comes to my mind. Why did they have to be descriptive on how they eat Durants?

JoeM86

I swear. Everyone keeps on ignoring his Raticate. I know he only had it for one episode, but that thing had freaking Jump Kick.
I really want Raticate to get Jump Kick.

He had it for all of five minutes.

Technically we forgot his Beedrill too. He also had that for a limited time, then gave it to Casey

Drowzee and Alakazam's are horrifying.

Drowzee (Emerald):

If your nose becomes itchy while you are sleeping, it's a sure sign that a Drowzee is standing above your pillow and trying to eat your dream through your nostrils.

Alakazam (Silver):

Its brain cells multiply continually until it dies. As a result, it remembers everything.

Both of those mental images squick me out way too much :s

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, Yamask too.

These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life. Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

Top Bottom