• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

MikeMyers

Kyogre would wipe them all out.

Imagine a Uber metagame without Stealth Rock, Ho-Oh would be too awesome. Two great STABs in Sacred Fire and Brave Bird (Earthquake covers Zekrom and Heatran). Also with Sacred Fire's 50% chance to burn, massive Special Defense, Roost, and Regeneratior, this thing would like never die.

I have a level 24 Lucario in Black 2 and I don't even know what to do with it. Guy doesn't learn any damage moves until his 40's and all he has right now is Force Palm which only has 10 pp. I'm at Nimbasa City.

MikeMyers

I have a level 24 Lucario in Black 2 and I don't even know what to do with it. Guy doesn't learn any damage moves until his 40's and all he has right now is Force Palm which only has 10 pp. I'm at Nimbasa City.

Doesn't someone in Nimbasa City PokeCenter give you 10 free Red Shards? With that you can give Lucario Ice Punch, which is helpful against Dragons.

Stage On

Yeah, it could be if a huge battle tournament was starting and all the legendaries gathered to engage in a massive battle royale. It's started by an evil businessman who is making loads of money collecting bets on the battle. It's later found out by Ash and the gang that the evil businessman is using strange brainwave equipment to force the legendaries to fight each other. Then Ash, after a huge struggle with the legendaries destroys all the brainwave equipment and evil businessman is sent to jail. The end.

I think that's how it would go.

The businessman actually invited Professor Oak, due to him once being a famous battler. However, Oak has long since quit battling, so he sends Ash to enter the tournament in his place. When he gets there, Ash smells something fishy.

Also, the businessman's name is Mr. X.

The perfect plot for a legendary battle royal movie.

Man if only we where the writers for the anime. We'd do a better job then the real writers do at any rate

MikeMyers

Nah. Auto rain automatically puts Kyogre above most mons save for probably Zekrom. Arceus is the only thing it can't beat.

252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 374-439 (109.35 - 128.36%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Raikou Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 351-413 (102.63 - 120.76%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Celebi Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 408-484 (119.29 - 141.52%) -- guaranteed OHKO

All Pokemon naturally faster than Kyogre too.

entremet

You have to go through the castelia sewers. There should be some stairs where there was a kid who dropped his contact lens or something which leads you to a small area with grass. Good luck, wild Eevee can be found here!

Edit: Beaten like an egg!

You sure about the wild Eevee? Eevees aren't found in the wild 'cept for Hidden Grottos, and then they're very, very rare at that.

You do get a gift Eevee at the same city later in the game.

JoeM86

Can I ask you something and I'm not trying to be a dick, but for as much information your website has, and being the go-to Pokemon website... Why is the actual design so terrible? Serebii.net is something straight out of 2001. I mean what website still has splash pages? Not to mention navigating through old games pages is awful, as the design is either worse or often times broken. Why isn't this addressed? I mean I understand that probably 95% of your reader base doesn't care one or the other but it just reaks of being an unprofessional website. Do you ever plan on completely revamping the website or will it forever be stuck in the era of all other Pokemon websites from the Gold/Silver/Crystal days?

The design isn't so bad. It's a classic design. As a certified website designer, I don't like the current trend in websites of having massive text, blocky navigation or just a search for navigation. As such, I stick with a classic three columned design. Unfortunately, several old pages still lack the style I've been implementing the last few years, but they're being redone, as seen with the recent Gen 1 & Gen 2 overhauls. However, newer stuff takes priority; I fully expect to do a few more over the summer, should take the quality up to the same for all games, but not necessarily with the same style yet. In addition to that, I noticed people had trouble working out the organisation scheme, so I started adding headers into the bars (without reorganising anything) to help people find things easier.

I have been fiddling and testing other layouts and no other style can work for a site of this size. All I can do is fine tune the current layout and people may not work well with that. Finally, as for splash pages, I agree. However, search engines and bookmarks are all tied to the second page, and as such, me removing it and shifting it would be detrimental to scores of hundreds of thousands of people each day

I'm always welcome to constructive criticism though so feel free to provide some should it seem fit :)

I refuse to accept that. The anime has been better written in the past so it should at least be able to match that quality.

Most of the manga versions have decent writing as well so it's not like it can't be done.

It actually is. Our minds are just clouded by nostalgia. Besides, don't forget, the anime is actually aimed at 8-12 year olds

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
3 more weeks til another corocoro info blowout. 3 more weeks til another corocoro info blowout.

water. water. water.

Nohar

Well, I gave the anime a try (beginning with the BW season). It's... Enjoyable, I guess? There's no doubts that it's aimed at 8-12 years old kids, but I'm rather "OK" with that. It's nice to see the Team Rocket becoming somewhat competent. Aside from that, I'm a big fan of Ash's Oshawott (he's ridiculously cute and hilarious).

... But I really want to slap Ash/Satori repeatidly in the face. Urrrg, he's acting so moronic in his pokemon battles. Hasn't he faced numerous tournaments already? Yes, I know, the anime isn't about the pokemon types, but rather about the trust between a pokemon and their trainer, but come on, aside from a few good ideas his skills as a trainer are rather mediocre.

Also, take a sip each time you hear "Pikachu" !

JoeM86

Well, I gave the anime a try (beginning with the BW season). It's... Enjoyable, I guess? There's no doubts that it's aimed at 8-12 years old kids, but I'm rather "OK" with that. It's nice to see the Team Rocket becoming somewhat competent. Aside from that, I'm a big fan of Ash's Oshawott (he's ridiculously cute and hilarious).

... But I really want to slap Ash/Satori repeatidly in the face. Urrrg, he's acting so moronic in his pokemon battles. Hasn't he faced numerous tournaments already? Yes, I know, the anime isn't about the pokemon types, but rather about the trust between a pokemon and their trainer, but come on, aside from a few good ideas his skills as a trainer are rather mediocre.

Also, take a sip each time you hear "Pikachu" !

For the start of the series, they regressed him a little just for the viewers, but he comes back to his usual competence soon enough

EDIT: UK PEOPLE - GAME to distribute Meloetta from March 22nd to April 19th

Refyref

The perfect plot for a legendary battle royal movie.

Man if only we where the writers for the anime. We'd do a better job then the real writers do at any rate

Well, I can't say I actually care for the anime's writing, or that I have actually watched it in a long while, but I really doubt Capcom (level) writing would be perfect. :p

I have no idea when the last time I watched the show was. I remember seeing it and being incredibly bothered that they used the exact same "cut to black and then animated white lines" anime cliche every single time anybody did anything. Incredibly lazy.

The original series had the advantage of being "Pokemon, but on TV!" Seeing Ho-oh years before anyone had any idea what it was, seeing all the cities and Pokemons animated instead of the (actually pretty bad) Game Boy sprites, backstories and personalities for all of the Gym Leaders. Plus Ash getting mauled by Spearows.

Say what you will about the quality of the anime's writing, but the actual approach taken to the writing of the show has definitely changed over the years and that's nothing to do with nostalgia. If there's anything I miss from the current show it's Team Rocket's shenanigans. They've made otherwise boring episodes at least a little more entertaining in the past.

BW has been mostly dull... now I only watch it now and again to see my fave pokemon or characters in action. Not that there haven't been bland episodes in the past though, I remember the Johto seasons having a lot of lame episodes, even if it had some entertaining ones now and then. I dunno, I guess I just prefer goofy pokemon with the cross-dressing and over-the-top anime faces and incompetent fathers dropping kids out of helicopters, lol.

BW has been mostly dull... now I only watch it now and again to see my fave pokemon or characters in action. Not that there haven't been bland episodes in the past though, I remember the Johto seasons having a lot of lame episodes, even if it had some entertaining ones now and then. I dunno, I guess I just prefer goofy pokemon with the cross-dressing and over-the-top anime faces and incompetent fathers dropping kids out of helicopters, lol.

Maybe I want to see it go back to the old days.

The other part of me wants it to stay fresh, though.

On another topic: that Serperior looks ADORABLE!

JoeM86

Say what you will about the quality of the anime's writing, but the actual approach taken to the writing of the show has definitely changed over the years and that's nothing to do with nostalgia. If there's anything I miss from the current show it's Team Rocket's shenanigans. They've made otherwise boring episodes at least a little more entertaining in the past.

I dunno. I got fed up with TR interrupting the plot every single episode. It was getting ridiculous which is why I support the serious TR.

Now, in Japan, they're sort of serious (they're wanting to take out Plasma), but they still appear randomly to cause Ash & Co. trouble (Giovanni recently got impressed by Pikachu's power first hand). They don't appear in every episode anymore still, so it's all good. Best of both worlds

Gregorn

Has anyone been able to beat the champions in the world tournament? I was able to beat the rest quite easily but feel like I have no chance against any of the champions.

I dunno. I got fed up with TR interrupting the plot every single episode. It was getting ridiculous which is why I support the serious TR.

Now, in Japan, they're sort of serious (they're wanting to take out Plasma), but they still appear randomly to cause Ash & Co. trouble (Giovanni recently got impressed by Pikachu's power first hand). They don't appear in every episode anymore still, so it's all good. Best of both worlds

Yeah I've been watching the Japanese version since DP. The recent ones where N and Team Plasma appear have been worth the watch, been skipping the others though. I guess it's natural the show's not going to stay fresh after all these hundreds of episodes and having to churn them out every week.

@Cuteness Overload, the Serperior is from Pokemon Conquest, awesome game imo.

JoeM86

Has anyone been able to beat the champions in the world tournament? I was able to beat the rest quite easily but feel like I have no chance against any of the champions.

Yeah, the Champions can be brutal. I managed to defeat it, but I got lucky. They have like max IVs, full EVs and the toughest AI to feature in the games

zroid

Banned
I have Fire Emblem on the brain right now, so for a second there I forgot which thread I was in and thought you were talking about FEA's Cynthia. :lol

I have Fire Emblem on the brain right now, so for a second there I forgot which thread I was in and thought you were talking about FEA's Cynthia. :lol

Speaking of which, is your avatar a Chespinized Libra? That's pretty cool.

If I had a Scraftified Gaius or Donnel, I'd probably wear it around for a while.

upandaway

Okay I'm this close to giving up. Why can't I find a Lotad in the DW? It's been a week now, I've maxed out encounters every day and still saw no Lotads. Am I doing something wrong? I've seen almost every other Pokemon on the Pleasant Forest chart. Doing it from White.

For the record, Lotad is the one Pokemon I have left to get before completing the Pokedex. What the hell, man. This is not cool.

Refyref

Today is a GOOD DAY! Source?

Seems to be on the main UK Pokemon site. http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/po...okemon/meloetta/details-meloetta-distribution

EDIT:

If I had a Scraftified Gaius or Donnel, I'd probably wear it around for a while.

Behold, an awful and ugly version I made out of boredom and my lack of image manipulation skills trying out a new image manipulator!
guirtyavaug.png

Wichu

Yeah, the Champions can be brutal. I managed to defeat it, but I got lucky. They have like max IVs, full EVs and the toughest AI to feature in the games

The AI isn't that good... It doesn't switch unless it can't hurt you at all, for one. Lance's Dragonite is really easy to set up on with a physically defensive Pokémon; as Dragonite's only special move is Draco Meteor, you can take a hit or two, healing off the damage, and render it harmless. Cynthia's Garchomp is a pain due to its Focus Sash, though. If I use a reasonably good team (i.e. not mono-Bidoof), then I think I can beat the Champions Tournament more often than not.

I'm still trying to do a mono-Bidoof run of the Champions Tournament, after my successful mono-Bidoof run of the Elite Four. It's quite a lot harder; with the Elite Four, I had a significant level advantage (mono-Bidoof team is level 100), and they don't have full IVs/EVs. Species Clause doesn't help either.

entremet

Yep. No EV training either.

I used the following:
Samurrot, Ampharos, and Cressalia. Cressalia is the MVP definitely, followed by Samurott--sweeping after Sword Dancing with Waterfall and Aquajet. Ampharos provides great coverage and bulk.

Top Bottom