• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

That would be awesome if you could do that. Want to do it later tonight (or whenever you get the time)?

I'll PM you with my Friend Code in just a moment.

Side note: I've always been pissed that my first name doesn't fit in any Pokémon game. You're ruining my immersion, GameFreak! T^T

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
what if

pokemon X/Y

introduced Mario and Luigi style QTEs in battle

y / n ?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's two things I'd like to see though introduced:

"Pairing Pokemon". I've had this idea based on the "Bonds" mentioned in the trailer, basically you could pair up two Pokemon in your party. They'd provide each other with a small stat boost, based on their base stats (like covering for the other's statistical weaknesses a bit?), and their could also be species-based "Support Abilities" that aid their partner when they're in battle. This would be mainly for Single Battles, though, not Double Battles where Pokemon already cover each other. As their Bonds grow, the stat boosts would grow too, and the Support Abilities would have better chance of activation.

I was thinking this could open a lot of new Evolution possibilities, as Pokemon could evolve when Max Bonding with another. Sylveon I feel could represent this...it evolves from Eevee when Max Bonding with any Pokemon. Then I thought of some more detailed ones, like a Fire Pokemon and an Ice Pokemon evolving together when they Max Bond into two separate Pokemon of the same species representing a balance between Fire and Ice, non-equilibrium thermodynamics. Or a "Miko" Pokemon that evolves into an Onmyouji Pokemon when Max Bonding with a Ghost Pokemon as it learns to tame spirits...and if its Banette, it also evolves into a Jiangshi-inspired Pokemon, as it's now a servant to the Onmouji and its grudge erased.

The second one is it'd be cool to see three-way battles, like one between the Starter Pokemon at the beginning of the game. You'd have to change around some mechanics to make it fair, like perhaps weakening damage if the same Pokemon's attacked by both sides, but it'd be neat for a few event battles.

"Pairing Pokemon". I've had this idea based on the "Bonds" mentioned in the trailer, basically you could pair up two Pokemon in your party. They'd provide each other with a small stat boost, based on their base stats (like covering for the other's statistical weaknesses a bit?), and their could also be species-based "Support Abilities" that aid their partner when they're in battle. This would be mainly for Single Battles, though, not Double Battles where Pokemon already cover each other. As their Bonds grow, the stat boosts would grow too, and the Support Abilities would have better chance of activation.

I think of the Pokémon on my team in pairs.

dkmjSX2.gif
<->
Rkq90FP.gif

wPI3A8v.gif
<->
tWXPRGT.gif

tanGNeP.gif
<->
xPxar28.gif

That I made the left column male and the right female adds to it as well.

I've played too much Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

dkmjSX2.gif
<->
Rkq90FP.gif

wPI3A8v.gif
<->
tWXPRGT.gif

tanGNeP.gif
<->
xPxar28.gif

That's where I got the idea.

I thought that any two Pokemon could be paired and reach a Max Bond (except perhaps for Legendaries maybe?), but some Pokemon would grow faster...like, Seviper and Zangoose would slowly bond, but Volbeat and Illumise would get along fast.

And then, when it comes to male and female, if they're in the same group, Bonding them would result in stronger offspring.

braves01

Banned
what if

pokemon X/Y

introduced Mario and Luigi style QTEs in battle

y / n ?

No. Front and back positioning/rows in certain battles might be cool though, imo. For example, back position can't be hit by physical attacks or something while front position gives you an evasiveness boost for special attacks maybe. Certain moves could swap positions for your team or your opponent's team. The front and back positions would look cool with the added depth of 3D too.

PK Gaming

dkmjSX2.gif
<->
Rkq90FP.gif

wPI3A8v.gif
<->
tWXPRGT.gif

tanGNeP.gif
<->
xPxar28.gif

omg

this would be amazing

Zoroark & Lucario
Dark Justice: Zoroark gets a 30% boost to Fighting-type moves, while Lucario gets a 30% boost to Dark-type moves.

http://rock-bomber.deviantart.com/gallery/43041178

This artist is drawing Gen I Pokémon using their original color palettes!

No. Front and back positioning/rows in certain battles might be cool though, imo. For example, back position can't be hit by physical attacks or something while front position gives you an evasiveness boost for special attacks maybe. Certain moves could swap positions for your team or your opponent's team. The front and back positions would look cool with the added depth of 3D too.

Sounds like Magical Starsign to me. I like it.

omg

this would be amazing

Zoroark & Lucario
Dark Justice: Zoroark gets a 30% boost to Fighting-type moves, while Lucario gets a 30% boost to Dark-type moves.

I like it.

Aggrotek

omg

this would be amazing

Zoroark & Lucario

Draconic Rage:

Gyarados gains a boost to speed equal to Dragonite's level/4. While Dragonite gains a boost to attack by thr same value.

entremet

I'm not worried much about the event Pokes, I'm sure they'll do another round of giveaways with Gen 6 given it will be a big upgrade to the series going all 3D and all.

CorvoSol

PokeGAF: How good is Arcanine today? I'm tired of hearing the words "4x weakness to Stealth Rock" so I'm thinking of putting Arcanine on my team in place of Charizard. Arcanine is an old favorite of mine, and I like to win with what I like when I can, but I want to know if he's okay.

PK Gaming

PokeGAF: How good is Arcanine today? I'm tired of hearing the words "4x weakness to Stealth Rock" so I'm thinking of putting Arcanine on my team in place of Charizard. Arcanine is an old favorite of mine, and I like to win with what I like when I can, but I want to know if he's okay.

It depends on the format you play

In OU, it's not "bad", but kind of outmatched by other Fire-types like Darmanitan and Infernape(who are niche pokemon themselves). Access to Close Combat and Wild Charge makes it surprisingly difficult to wall. Usable, but not great.

It's much better in UU though. Contrary to popular belief, it's not actually outclassed by Darmanitan. It's abilities (Intimidate and Flash Fire) come in handy for dealing with specific threats in UU, and Extremespeed is AMAZING.

I don't know about VGC, you'll have to ask Firestorm.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also wtf is with your avatar, that's Green Scar's schtick.
Yeah, that's what someone else said, but I don't get it. What's the schtick? I thought it was just Mewthree in some creepy human form. Is there some other reference I'm missing?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, that's what someone else said, but I don't get it. What's the schtick? I thought it was just Mewthree in some creepy human form. Is there some other reference I'm missing?

No that's it, but Green Scar had Knuckles. :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No that's it, but Green Scar had Knuckles. :p
Oh. Okay then, heh. I get the similarity in concept, but they're visually different enough that it doesn't really come to mind for me.

Also, I had no idea his avatar was supposed to be Knuckles until like two months ago, lol.

I tend to keep an open mind to the use of various types of Pokémon in my battles. I try to follow some rules, but I prefer to go with my own style if I can get away with it. Then again, I'm not competitive.

Infernape can't handle the heat that is Speed Boost Blaziken.

Get in on something you can scare out, SD as your opponent switches out, then pick from HJK or FB (whichever hurts more). It made him an excellent cleaner. People were also going nuts with Rain/Sun/Sand during that time, so it was like Blaziken's water weakness didn't exist for a good portion of the teams he was run on.

CorvoSol

So I'm thinking about Slaking. Normally I just go with Snorlax or Blissey, but I thought I'd branch out and see how Slaking did as team tough guy or mighty glacial tank or whatever you people call that.

Decided I will go ahead with Arcanine for battling others. In game I'll stick with Charizard, but can't stand that mantra of 4x weakness to Stealth Rock so I'll take Arcanine. Plus Arcanine is awesome. Trying to decide where I want a Dragon or an Electric for my team.

Also Tropius. Is Tropius any good? He's like my favorite from Gen III because when I was little, I had this book on mythological creatures, and it mentioned these dinosaurs people said still lived in the Congo, and I remember wandering in that forest in Gen III, seeing my first Tropius and having that exact feel.

Slaking is anything but glacial (his base speed is almost as high as Arcanine's).

Literally the only thing holding him back is his ability, which can be Skill Swapped out by someone else. Do that and you're golden.

CorvoSol

Slaking is anything but glacial (his base speed is almost as high as Arcanine's).

Literally the only thing holding him back is his ability, which can be Skill Swapped out by someone else. Do that and you're golden.

Oh. I thought he was supposed to be slow, like, cuz he's a sloth and all.

PK Gaming

So I'm thinking about Slaking. Normally I just go with Snorlax or Blissey, but I thought I'd branch out and see how Slaking did as team tough guy or mighty glacial tank or whatever you people call that.

Decided I will go ahead with Arcanine for battling others. In game I'll stick with Charizard, but can't stand that mantra of 4x weakness to Stealth Rock so I'll take Arcanine. Plus Arcanine is awesome. Trying to decide where I want a Dragon or an Electric for my team.

Also Tropius. Is Tropius any good? He's like my favorite from Gen III because when I was little, I had this book on mythological creatures, and it mentioned these dinosaurs people said still lived in the Congo, and I remember wandering in that forest in Gen III, seeing my first Tropius and having that exact feel.

Tropious is really, really unremarkable, but it got Harvest in gen V. Basically, Harvest gives you a 50% chance of replenishing your held (berry) item at the end of the turn. (This is bumped to a 100% in the sun btw) What people do is a set that utilizes leech seed and substitute to annoy the hell out of your opponent. Unlike Arcanine, I actually don't think its worth investing in.

Top Bottom