• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Refyref

It's not that regions are underdeveloped conceptually. But they certainly are in execution. For example, Saffron feels like the only town that really represents Kanto, while Ectruteak is really the only city that represents Johto. If you transplanted Cerulean City into Johto, there isn't really any way to tell the difference. And as far as city deisgn goes, the way even Gym towns, such as Mistralton, are still dinky, undeveloped backwaters, despite having the only airport in the entire region, continues to be pretty weird.

In the old games, yes, it didn't come across well. In the recent games, it's very easy to see what the locations convey. Sure they don't always have a lot of stuff there, since it is just a town in a big RPG after all, but you can sense the point behind the place.

I was actually confused by that. Why would you need an airport if you can just use a Pokemon with Fly? I understand they ship "cargo," but why couldn't Pokemon do that as well? If a Pidgey can carry a human, I imagine a fleet of larger flying Pokemon can carry some weight. Even if planes are needed, it could explain why having the lone regional airport doesn't necessarily make a place a thriving metropolis since most people never need to use a plane. It's like in Harry Potter, why use floo powder when you can warp?

They actually explain that, at least in B2/W2. Pokemon can't carry as much cargo as a plane, nor as fast as one. In B2/W2, they opened up the airport for passenger planes, since not everyone has access to a Pokemon that can fly.

braves01

Banned
They actually explain that, at least in B2/W2. Pokemon can't carry as much cargo as a plane, nor as fast as one. In B2/W2, they opened up the airport for passenger planes, since not everyone has access to a Pokemon that can fly.

Hmm, must have mashed through the dialogue explaining that.

Refyref

Hmm, must have mashed through the dialogue explaining that.

It's actually said by some random NPC at the airport, it's incredibly likely that you (and most people) never even spoke to them! :p

I just have this weird habit of speaking to almost every unimportant NPC I can, and remembering way too much of it.

It's actually said by some random NPC at the airport, it's incredibly likely that you (and most people) never even spoke to them! :p

I just have this weird habit of speaking to almost every unimportant NPC I can, and remembering way too much of it.

I really like it when dialogue changes after some sort of event, which you can find in the 3DS PMD or something.

It's like in Harry Potter, why use floo powder when you can warp?
Some wizards don't like Apparition because you have to be certified in order to use it, and even then it's extremely dangerous if you fuck it up, and it gets even more dangerous if you want to take someone with you. Floo Powder is a much safer alternative, albeit a tad more limiting. And even then, some wizards just prefer to use their brooms to go from one place to another.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one!

I made a thread for Deoxys in Gaming and mentioned it there, but I'll mention it here too.

I have two extra Deoxys (one extra from this event and one I already had from the old GameStop event), so I'll give them to anyone unable to receive the Wi-Fi gift.

I feel like I squandered N's Zorua by using it in-game. His kids would never be as good as he is.

And why must Scrafty be the only Dark/ Fighting Pokemon why why my life is endless pain. Guess I'll have to get a Tyranitar.

Rocwell

Hey guys, I bought B/W2 about a week or two ago after a friend convinced me to jump in after not playing a Pokemon game since RGB.

Anyways just hopping in to brag about some accomplishments in the past few days, I jumped down the rabbit hole of breeding/natures/EVs, and decided to start farming for dittos with good natures, after stopping back in town I found out I had caught pokerus so I decided to buckle down and breed some awesome pokes. Made a Toxicroak and Zoroark I'm really fond of. And just a little while ago I got my shiny gible and gift deoxys. Gonna breed a sicknasty garchomp :D

Anyone wanna trade for some
literally
sick pokemon?

IV's are absolutely soul-crushing. I just try to pass down the stats from N's Zoroark, no matter how many Pokemon I have to go through to get there, and that thing only has 30's at best rather than 31. Zoroark to Mareep to Larvitar then breed a Horsea with a Charmander for a male Charmander with Dragon Dance to breed with the Larvitar so I can make Tyranitars with... 30 speed IV. No idea if it's even worth it.

backlot

IV's are absolutely soul-crushing. I just try to pass down the stats from N's Zoroark, no matter how many Pokemon I have to go through to get there, and that thing only has 30's at best rather than 31. Zoroark to Mareep to Larvitar then breed a Horsea with a Charmander for a male Charmander with Dragon Dance to breed with the Larvitar so I can make Tyranitars with... 30 speed IV. No idea if it's even worth it.

It's not. Just get Dittos.

I dunno. I guess I could go at night and throw dusk balls for an hour, but that is not cheering me up either.

Won't I still need to breed twice to get the nature and IV? Power item on Ditto for IV, breed the result with the item with another Ditto with Everstone and the appropriate nature.

backlot

I dunno. I guess I could go at night and throw dusk balls for an hour, but that is not cheering me up either.

Won't I still need to breed twice to get the nature and IV? Power item on Ditto for IV, breed the result with the item with another Ditto with Everstone and the appropriate nature.

I think that in gen 5 you can give the Everstone to either parent. And even if not, its still less breeding than what you were suggesting. And you can use the Dittos again later with other breeding projects.

JoeM86

Something like this:

Unless I'm mistaken, my Japanese isn't perfect especially when it includes Kanji, it's running a promotion about a 3DS decal, 1000 will be given. However, from what I can tell, and I checked with one of my translators who agreed, it is stating that the decals will be delivered for release day, not that the release date shall be revealed. It's tricky though, I hate Kanji.

But hell, you never know, they could still reveal it. Will check with my other translators

MiKeD

Banned
Is my 3yr old nephew too young to watch Pokemon yet?
I know he's not gonna understand anything yet, but just so he has something cool to watch.
Really hope he's going to enjoy it someday since it was such a huge part of my childhood back in the day.

DaBoss

I know he's not gonna understand anything yet, but just so he has something cool to watch.
Really hope he's going to enjoy it someday since it was such a huge part of my childhood back in the day.

I don't think it is too young.

Unless I'm mistaken, my Japanese isn't perfect especially when it includes Kanji, it's running a promotion about a 3DS decal, 1000 will be given. However, from what I can tell, and I checked with one of my translators who agreed, it is stating that the decals will be delivered for release day, not that the release date shall be revealed. It's tricky though, I hate Kanji.

But hell, you never know, they could still reveal it. Will check with my other translators
I'll defer to whatever you run with if it turns out wrong, it was a quick once-over before I went to sleep :)

(though I did hesitate on 発売費にお届けしちゃいます for a bit, with しかも)

text:
ポケットモンスターX・Y1000名プレゼント銀はがし

この夏最大の注目ソフトポケモンX・Yを1000名の読者にプレゼントする驚異の銀はがし!!!
しかも、発売日におとどけしちゃいます!

Stuart444

Yeah, I'm thinking it's what you said. I don't mind Kanji (and honestly when it's Kanji I know, it makes things more readable)

Quite a few Kanji I didn't know in it though, like why is 銀 (which seems to mean silver) there? I'm guessing that's the decal? I'm still learning and I haven't come across this one before.

Defo not too young I'd say.

Probably crap, but rumours are going round about the next Coro Coro issue.

Notably, it says that Sylveon is shown using an unknown attack on Sableye that registers as super effective.

DaBoss

Notably, it says that Sylveon is shown using an unknown attack on Sableye that registers as super effective.

Ghost-type confirmed! :p

Look at those menacing hollow eyes. It also requires the souls of babes.

DaBoss

Ghost type attacks do neutral damage on Sableye. :p

Well shit, I completely forgot Sableye is a Ghost/Dark. Oh well, I was joking so yea, I'm in the clear somewhat. :p

I hope it is a move super-effective against Dark-types at least, if it is also ghost, that would be a bonus.

Stuart444

Quick question to anyone who has been in a wi-fi tournament before.

Once you register on the pokemon website, how long do you have to register your battle box/get your digital ID (since the battle box will be locked after you register it til after the tournament)

If you don't need to until the day before, it means I can keep playing through the game until just before the tournament otherwise, it looks like I won't be touching B/W2 until the tournament itself.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Weird, I don't see that in /vp/

EDIT: Oh there it is. It's crap :p

Weird, I don't see that in /vp/

Here's what's in the new issue:

Protagonist Art - text talks about making your character more personal than ever. Looks like minor changes to hair colour/hat/clothing is possible. It shows the female trainer in two frames - one wearing a skirt, the other jeans/pants.

Sylveon - we see the default Sylveon picture from the XY website. The type is STILL a bunch of question marks. Two in-game pictures show Sylveon fighting a Mawile and a Sableye. It says something about 'new foes' or 'new enemies' - I think Sylveon's attacks are super effective against them? More trolling!

Region Map - It's obscured by clouds for the most part. The Eiffel Tower thing is visible in a city slightly east of the map. To the north, there's water (like the sea or something). The clouds are darker in the south east, with lightning bolts.

Yeah, it's almost certainly bollocks, but hey, things are quiet at the moment.

Yea, it sounds like BS. Anyways, on a related note, when did we learn more about Unova, specifically, Castelia City?

Castelia City was the very first location we saw in the initial reveal in April 2010. It was the only location we properly saw until the big region blowout a few months later, which did lead to a bit of speculation that the entire region would be this megacity.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There was another rumor yesterday which mentioned the same thing about Sylveon hitting Sableye with a Super Effective attack, yet that rumor also claimed we were getting a Sabeleye pre-evolution, and the guy had a sketch of what it looked like.

I doubted that one, and the fact this rumor is using the same idea makes me doubt it as well.

Stuart444

I'm looking forward to playing through X/Y, the new animations/3D models look great. I'm just hoping the region is good and they have added more to the game to make it better than B/W(2). At the very least, make the story/story telling as good as B/W(2).

October feels so far away :(

Top Bottom