• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Woah, that is too much IMO.

It is a might bit silly. I kinda wish we could still have the feature though. It was a gimmick sure, but it was a dang good gimmick.

Also, question for you guys: do you consider the major trainer battles (i.e. Rivals, Gym Leader, Elite Four, etc.) to be boss battles, or simply more significant regular battles. What would you classify them as?

(I'm asking because I have a boss-themed web show in the works and my partners don't think that Pokémon is qualified enough to be given its own series of videos.)

Stuart444

It is a might bit silly. I kinda wish we could still have the feature though. It was a gimmick sure, but it was a dang good gimmick.

Also, question for you guys: do you consider the major trainer battles (i.e. Rivals, Gym Leader, Elite Four, etc.) to be boss battles, or simply more significant regular battles. What would you classify them as?

(I'm asking because I have a boss-themed web show in the works and my partners don't think that Pokémon is qualified enough to be given its own series of videos.)

I call them boss battles myself. I don't know why, just the special music + cut in at the start makes it seem boss battle like.

Rookje

Not sure if this was posted yet, but...

4x14l0R.jpg

New pokemon type: 'Fairy' (Clefairy and some other normals etc are being put into it)

Not sure if this was posted yet, but...

http://i.imgur.com/4x14l0R.jpg[IMG]

New pokemon type: 'Fairy' (Clefairy and some other normals etc are being put into it)[/QUOTE]

That's not confirmed yet. Be careful not to let your hype get ahead of you; lest your hopes be hammered harder than an Irishman during Happy Hour.

[spoiler]Apologies to Irishmen everywhere.[/spoiler]

What an overused word these days.

What an overused word these days.

Used correctly, in this case:

Dictionary.com said:
Gimmick (gim-ik) noun
1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

It was a relatively useless novelty added into the game to make it stand out more and to be used as a selling point. Ipso facto; it's a gimmick.

braves01

Banned
Used correctly, in this case:

It was a relatively useless novelty added into the game to make it stand out more and to be used as a selling point. Ipso facto; it's a gimmick.

To be fair, there's nothing in that definition saying a gimmick has to be useless, yet that's what's meant almost every time it's used on these boards. It basically translates to "a feature I don't value." Personally, I like using the word to rattle people for subtle trolling.

Fuck following pokes. I want music in the style of the trailer.

Pokemon music is SO underrated. I mean has anyone stopped and actually listen to the theme that plays before you beat cyhthia? It is actually better than cohens masterpiece. Wow.

To be fair, there's nothing in that definition saying a gimmick has to be useless, yet that's what's meant almost every time it's used on these boards. It basically translates to "a feature I don't value." Personally, I like using the word to rattle people for subtle trolling.

Gimmicks aren't inherently useless, but we've gotten so used to developers sticking them into game haphazardly (especially in sequels) just so people will pick it up out of curiosity or such. You can't deny that walking Pokémon are nothing more than a gimmick though; they add nothing to the game other than some nice aesthetics and possibly a touch of immersion if you're the type to gets immersed in Pokémon games. It was added purely to sell a remake; nothing more.

Fuck following pokes. I want music in the style of the trailer.

Pokemon music is SO underrated. I mean has any stop and actually listen to the theme that plays before you beat cyhthia? It is actually better than cohens masterpiece. Wow.

Pokémon music is the bomb. I still think that the Deoxys, Ghetsis and Legendary Beast battle themes are among my favourite songs in gaming (especially their remixes here).

braves01

Banned
Gimmicks aren't inherently useless, but we've gotten so used to developers sticking them into game haphazardly (especially in sequels) just so people will pick it up out of curiosity or such. You can't deny that walking Pokémon are nothing more than a gimmick though; they add nothing to the game other than some nice aesthetics and possibly a touch of immersion if you're the type to gets immersed in Pokémon games. It was added purely to sell a remake; nothing more.

Yeah it doesn't really change the game much, but like you said it adds aesthetic value for some. The new PS4 Killzone relies on a similar gimmick in my opinion. It really comes down to what a particular individual values.

PK Gaming

I just got that Deoxys

-Nasty Plot
-plasma OT
-Caught in a dusk ball

if you showed it to me a year ago, I'd have called you a hacker!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
2.99 DLC - First Pokémon in your party now follows you around, has goofy emoticons when you talk to it.

Would Buy, minute one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Video games are essentially gimmicks. That's why it's laughable when people use it as a form of argument that it's a negative.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, who's the consensus pokemon to use the master ball on in black 2? I just managed to capture Zekrom on the first ultra ball, while he was still in yellow damage. Should I use it on Kyurem?

Wichu

So, who's the consensus pokemon to use the master ball on in black 2? I just managed to capture Zekrom on the first ultra ball, while he was still in yellow damage. Should I use it on Kyurem?

Kyurem's a pretty good choice, with its really low catch rate (compared to Reshiram/Zekrom). I like to match colours, so I used mine on a Drapion.

Spr_5b_452.png
Master_Ball_battle_front_V.png

There's a second Master Ball in the game.

zroid

Banned
In XY it would be amazing if you could customize the colours of standard Poké Balls. It might be a bit too much to have custom designs, but a simple colour value for a Ball shouldn't be too much additional data, and it'd make things so much easier for sticklers like me. :U

Korosenai

Ooh the Deoxys I got has an adamant nature. Sweet.

Edit: nevermind, i went for a naive deoxys for deoxys-a. Gonna ev train now. Just wondering, do i ev train it in its normal mode or ev train it in its attack mode? Or does it even matter?

braves01

Banned
What's the big deal about shiny's?

I haven't played since Silver, but they weren't that big of a deal then.

They're just extremely rare (I think roughly 1/8250), so if you encounter one you want to be able to catch it. No special stats or anything, just a palette swap. There are ways to improve the odds, but either way it seems like it takes a lot of tedium to get one. Look at youtube videos for "shiny hunters." They have like three or four systems going at once all farming the same area to catch a particular shiny. It's crazy. Holy Shinx guys.

e.g. Shiny charmander vid, holy shinx guys

Edit: spring friendly sign-up is open go go go go go

Stuart444

Is there any roamers in B/W2? I always suggest using it on roamers.

Any other legendary pokemon you can just quick ball them :p (quick balls FTW)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
They're just extremely rare (I think roughly 1/8250), so if you encounter one you want to be able to catch it. No special stats or anything, just a palette swap. There are ways to improve the odds, but either way it seems like it takes a lot of tedium to get one. Look at youtube videos for "shiny hunters." They have like three or four systems going at once all farming the same area to catch a particular shiny. It's crazy. Holy Shinx guys.

e.g. Shiny charmander vid, holy shinx guys

Edit: spring friendly sign-up is open go go go go go
Yeah, I'm a total casual guy, so I don't think I'll be playing enough to encounter shiny's.

backlot

Ooh the Deoxys I got has an adamant nature. Sweet.

Edit: nevermind, i went for a naive deoxys for deoxys-a. Gonna ev train now. Just wondering, do i ev train it in its normal mode or ev train it in its attack mode? Or does it even matter?

The EV's should stay the same after you switch forms so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm a total casual guy, so I don't think I'll be playing enough to encounter shiny's.

You never know. I got one without doing the stuff they're doing, just through a random encounter.
Also you can use the Masuda Method to get them easier by breeding two Pokemon from different countries e.g US Pikachu with JP Ditto.

Korosenai

The EV's should stay the same after you switch forms so it doesn't matter.
That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure.

Also, with Deoxys, I can finally make my ghost/psychic/dark type dream team:

Gengar
Hydreigon
Deoxys
Scrafty
Chandelure
Espeon

3 of the 6 are Gen 5, Gen 5 represent.

backlot

Who is your favorite Pokémon? I can't remember if you've ever specified whether or not you like anyone best. Sableye must be high on the list, yeah?

Yeah, Sableye is pretty great. He's one of my favorites to battle with at the moment. I like that he can be effective even without any offensive moves.

Top Bottom