• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

MiKeD

Banned
Finally got a hold of my sis' DS and Black 2. Completely forgot the storyline of the first one, though (and not that I really care anyway). Liking my team I build up so far, although I'm not really sure why I got myself a Growlithe and evolved it into an Arcanine. Just read that he barely learns any moves by leveling up.

I'm at Chargestone cave now, just outside of Driftveil city. Hopefully I'll get some opportunities to catch a good, strong Fire type.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
Finally got a hold of my sis' DS and Black 2. Completely forgot the storyline of the first one, though (and not that I really care anyway). Liking my team I build up so far, although I'm not really sure why I got myself a Growlithe and evolved it into an Arcanine. Just read that he barely learns any moves by leveling up.

I'm at Chargestone cave now, just outside of Driftveil city. Hopefully I'll get some opportunities to catch a good, strong Fire type.

Arcanine is a great fire-type, but yes, you're going to need TM's for it.

DaBoss

I see what you did there.
A certain something is missing.

Flareon needs more love.

rbe0dk-1uusmt.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Arcanine is a physical fire user though I guess its special is okay I guess. With that said use its ExtremeSpeed.

Arcanine's Special Attack is decent enough to keep Flamethrower around, but Fire Blast would be pointless. Pretty much to rely on Flare Blitz for its strongest attack.
In-game of course, though hopefully I don't have to preface posts with that information.

MikeMyers

Yeah Arcanine's SpA ain't too bad. I prefer Flamethrower as a main STAB for in-game due to not being a fan of Flare Blitz's recoil and Fire Blast being inaccurate and having short PP.

You should do a special with MikeMyers and UltimateIke. Think of how many punny episode titles you could come up with!

You rang?

Firestorm

Frost Ace or any other Italians (or Europeans) at the National Championships in Milan today?

BJ91YM3CcAE8Kye.jpg

Second National Championships of the season!

Never played Platinum, how different was it? I didn't think it had big enough changes that it had a whole new feel.

It's more of a "small things" when it comes to comparing DP to Platinum.

These "small things", though, add up to make a big difference.

Oh, and the looooooooooooaaading that is absent in Platinum.

MikeMyers

Yes I did. Go be a guest on Aggro's show. It's a wonderful experience.

Protip #1: Don't jinx anyone and know what you're talking about.

Haha I'm kind of curious to why you thought of electing me, but I'm certainly honoured.

I have limited internet access at the moment and have finals, but maybe sometime next week I'll guest star.

How is it done, through Skype? Aggro PM me if you see this.

Haha I'm kind of curious to why you thought of electing me, but I'm certainly honoured.

I have limited internet access at the moment and have finals, but maybe sometime next week I'll guest star.

How is it done, through Skype? Aggro PM me if you see this.

I think you'd have a lot to say
about Gyarados

Yeah, the commentary is done through Skype while watching a stream of Aggro playing. From my experience the stream is 2-3 behind what he's playing, so have a few "stock" responses ("Yay!" "Oh no!" "Wow..." etc.) that you can pull out if you need to react while your stream is catching up to the gameplay. It's not necessary, but it helps make things seem more organic and flowing once it comes down to making the final product.

TL;DR: Just have fun and be yourself. Also don't jinx anything.

MikeMyers

I think you'd have a lot to say
about Gyarados

Yeah, the commentary is done through Skype while watching a stream of Aggro playing. From my experience the stream is 2-3 behind what he's playing, so have a few "stock" responses ("Yay!" "Oh no!" "Wow..." etc.) that you can pull out if you need to react while your stream is catching up to the gameplay. It's not necessary, but it helps make things seem more organic and flowing once it comes down to making the final product.

TL;DR: Just have fun and be yourself. Also don't jinx anything.

Believe it or not, I like other Pokemon besides Gyarados
I do wonder what was with that Level 65 Magikarp though

Yeah, I'm down, when I get my laptop refurbished and my semester (got 1 week left). I'll send Aggro a PM with my Skype info.

lizard is shit
bird is shit
mount is shit

panda is the shit

Elikiteru is the best Pokémon revealed so far. #comeatme

Believe it or not, I like other Pokemon besides Gyarados
I do wonder what was with that Level 65 Magikarp though

Yeah, I'm down, when I get my laptop refurbished and my semester (got 1 week left). I'll send Aggro a PM with my Skype info.

Great! Looking forward to it.

MikeMyers

Damn, now I feel like playin Pokemon now.

Time to do White Subway with Salamence, Tyranitar, & Gyarados.

I might try a T-Wave+Rock Slide stall with T-Tar just for kicks

PBalfredo

The "What's the best attack move in Pokemon" thread got me thinking back to good ol' Pokemon R/B/Y and wondering why Psychic type was so clearly broken.

The move Psychic was extremely powerful. Every pokemon that was of a type that was suppose to be strong against Psychic-type was also Poison-type, and thus in reality weak against Psychic. There were no Ghost or Bug-type attacks that were not A) particularly strong or B) used by a pokemon that wasn't itself weak against Psychic-type. For as much as I remember thinking it was silly that Gym leaders always roll with just one type of pokemon and are easily beaten by the counter type, back when I was playing with my friends, coming in with a team of all Abracadabras was no joke.

Seems like a big oversight on the devs. But these are smart guys. Seems like too big of a thing to just slip by. I can't help but wonder if Psychic-type was suppose to be a bit OP, given how much Mewtwo was hyped up in the game/movies/etc as the ultimate pokemon. No worries about Gameplay and Story Segregation if the most powerful pokemon is also the most overpowered type. On the other hand, the very next generation they introduce new pokemon types that are both specifically strong against Psychic, implying that was the fix to the problem in R/B/Y.

This is going off of 15 year old remembered information

backlot

I bet they didn't particularly care that Psychic was overpowered in Gen 1. After Pokemon had proven itself to be popular they probably decided to rethink things going forward.

The Pokemon World Tournament is pretty neat for finally presenting the Gym Leaders as credible trainers, as opposed to catching something of their weakness and power leveling. But my Focus Sash got consumed in a normal battle and now I keep getting messed up.

Gen 1 did have some pretty damn silly oversights, but it was hard to know until they fixed them and also I was 8.

Neo Child

Banned
X/Y definately needs difficulty options

Easy: Lower Levels, computers dont use items
Medium : Normal Levels, gym leaders & E4 and strong trainers have items/held items
Hard: High levels, all trainers carry potions as well as held items for pokemon in addition to gym leaders & e4
V. Hard: Very high levels, all trainers carry potions, specific moveset for each pokemon and held item to complement it, EV trained

please.

entremet

Going for the Shiny Charm and playing the Gen 4 games with the Gen 5 ones concurrently. Man is Gen 5 underrated not here of course--60FPS battle engine, which is blazing fast even with battle animations on, scaled EXP, which is a godsend for creating teams, reusuable TMs! reusable TMs!, great places to grind--Nimbasa Stadiums, White Treehollow/Black Tower, crazy meaty post game at least for BW2, one of the best soundtracks, Join Avenue for easier egg hatching and EV manipulation, amazing Repel mechanic. Man I can't wait what they do with Gen 6.

You really appreciate more if you go back to Gen 4 as I am trying to complete my Dex.

Medium : Normal Levels, gym leaders & E4 and strong trainers have items/held items
Hard: High levels, all trainers carry potions as well as held items for pokemon in addition to gym leaders & e4
V. Hard: Very high levels, all trainers carry potions, specific moveset for each pokemon and held item to complement it, EV trained

please.

It exists in B2W2! Too bad it's either post-game or you have friends.

What dumb decision of GF to make keys local only. The whole key system was dumb in the first place. Just allow hard/easy mode at the start.
I like the idea of the key system, just not local only and for dumb things like easy/hard modes that should available options from the start. I think they could come up with some interesting other things to uses in a key system if they tried.

Going for the Shiny Charm and playing the Gen 4 games with the Gen 5 ones concurrently. Man is Gen 5 underrated not here of course--60FPS battle engine, which is blazing fast even with battle animations on, scaled EXP, which is a godsend for creating teams, reusuable TMs! reusable TMs!, great places to grind--Nimbasa Stadiums, White Treehollow/Black Tower, crazy meaty post game at least for BW2, one of the best soundtracks, Join Avenue for easier egg hatching and EV manipulation, amazing Repel mechanic. Man I can't wait what they do with Gen 6.

You really appreciate more if you go back to Gen 4 as I am trying to complete my Dex.

Absolutely. With Pokemon I always think each entry is better than the last. I went back to Platinum and battles seemed way slower than I remembered. Diamond is even slower. Reusable TMs make team building way more fun and flexible because there's more room to experiment. With older entries I always ended up hoarding TMs because I didn't want to waste them.

Gen 4 was just really slow. HGSS seemed to fix it a bit, but still wasn't as fast as Gen III.

And also they better not remove any of the improvements made in BW2. This shit with introducing vital new features and then taking them away is really old.

Wichu

please.

Hardest difficulty should use tournament rules for Gym battles. Pokémon are scaled to the same level (so you can't just grind to win), no item use etc.

Top Bottom