• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Korosenai

Don't do it. It cheapens the experience...

That's exactly why i'm not going to.

On another note, I wish Smogon would come back up. It's been down for a couple days now.

This app is essentially cheating I would gather. You can create whatever moves and abilities you want your pokemon to have, including (I am assuming) IVs EVs and the like.
I looked at the app description yesterday when I posted about it, and this is correct.

You can give a Pokemon any ability, nature, ev, and iv. Even how you met it, whether you want it to be a shiny or not, what kind of pokeball you used to catch it, etc.

So basically, you can make a Shiny Lv. 100 Slaking, put in the ev's you want, the iv's you want, the nature you need, and you can give it an ability that isn't truant in seconds flat.

They aren't entirely truly random. It's hard to explain.

It sounds like a pain in the ass at any rate. When you've been playing for years, transferring pokes from gen to gen, you're bound to have a bunch with 30/31 IVs anyway. So now with the power item mechanics and that dude in the battle subway, it isn't too hard to get a poke with at least 2 max IVs.

Anyways, from what you're saying, I'm guessing this is what people meant by RNG not being cheating because you're just timing stuff, not directly using an external device...

Zeroth

It sounds like a pain in the ass at any rate. When you've been playing for years, transferring pokes from gen to gen, you're bound to have a bunch with 30/31 IVs anyway. So now with the power item mechanics and that dude in the battle subway, it isn't too hard to get a poke with at least 2 max IVs.

Anyways, from what you're saying, I'm guessing this is what people meant by RNG not being cheating because you're just timing stuff, not directly using an external device...

Yes. Due to the way the RNG works in BW, a pokemon's stats are determined by two factors: When you boot up our game and, inside that, after how many frames (or "actions") you encounter a pokemon. RNG is basically predicting these 2 factors in order to get optimal pokemon, you don't tweak the game in any way other than changing the time on your Nintendo DS.

Yes. Due to the way the RNG works in BW, a pokemon's stats are determined by two factors: When you boot up our game and, inside that, after how many frames (or "actions") you encounter a pokemon. RNG is basically predicting these 2 factors in order to get optimal pokemon, you don't tweak the game in any way other than changing the time on your Nintendo DS.

So, do you think it might get thrown off if something unexpected happens along the way?

Anyway, I don't mess around with the RNG. I just play it in my own way.

Zeroth

So, do you think it might get thrown off if something unexpected happens along the way?

Well, if you miss your time or frame you will get a different pokemon in terms of stats, but usually the method is pretty solid, so you know where you got it wrong.

Aggrotek

I'm just biding my time until October.
Ah, good to hear. :p Also, you made it into my Nuzlocke run.

Yes, NPCs random movement can and will screw up things if you don't pay attention.

I tried to get into it but it isn't for me.

I tried to RNG a perfect Adamant Technician Scizor and a perfect Sp. Attack nature Serene Grace Togekiss, but I failed hilariously. That was the first and last time I've ever tried to RNG something.

Massive respect for those who actually can do it, though. You guys know how to fudge the game in style B)

Refyref

I only ever RNG'd in Platinum. It takes a ridiculous amount of steps, but is less error prone then what you are making the others sound like. (Of course, if you mess up while counting during the thing, it's screwed.)

I wouldn't suggest playing a soon-to-be-two-gens-old game at this point though.

There is a reason why sequels are made.

Tell that to Game Freak then. Because they replace great features every generation that had no reason to be removed (Why can we not have Trainers Eyes and rematch Gym Leaders? We currently have neither). Also the single player hasn't gotten better so much as been different every generation. I mean, how many people will say Ruby Sapphire Emerald had a better adventure than Gold Silver Crystal? Mechanically, BW2 are the best by far, but the single player is completely lackluster. Basically nobody puts up a fight whatsoever until
Colress and Ghetsis fights
, your options for acquiring, training, and customizing Pokemon before beating the Elite Four are, to be nice, not very good, and even the Elite Four are total pushovers. I think it's one of the worst games to pick if you just want to experience a Pokemon game and aren't going to be doing any sort of in-depth breeding or battling.

Refyref

Tell that to Game Freak then. Because they replace great features every generation that had no reason to be removed (Why can we not have Trainers Eyes and rematch Gym Leaders? We currently have neither). Also the single player hasn't gotten better so much as been different every generation. I mean, how many people will say Ruby Sapphire Emerald had a better adventure than Gold Silver Crystal? Mechanically, BW2 are the best by far, but the single player is completely lackluster. Basically nobody puts up a fight whatsoever until
Colress and Ghetsis fights
, your options for acquiring, training, and customizing Pokemon before beating the Elite Four are, to be nice, not very good, and even the Elite Four are total pushovers. I think it's one of the worst games to pick if you just want to experience a Pokemon game and aren't going to be doing any sort of in-depth breeding or battling.

I dunno. I never found a Pokemon game to be remotely close to anything above easy until B/W, and B2/W2 is the first one that actually made me careful in battle and training.

Who's gonna make Pokemon XY OT? And what's the tagline?

I think lordfroakie's doing it (which is a shame because I would've liked to do it ;P) with help from injurai.

I also think Gizoogle already decided that the subtitle is "Up Yo' Butt Mothaf*cker."

It would be neat if the subtitle involved PokéBOMB though >_> #egotrip

I'd argue that the X and Y subtitle should be something universal, not just a PokéGAF injoke.

Something like Pokémon X and Y |OT| XtraordinarY, for example.

But better, obviously. I've lost my Zero Shades of Grey mojo. :(

I'd argue that the X and Y subtitle should be something universal, not just a PokéGAF injoke.

It was genius, i tells ya

But there's plenty of time for names... like what, 4 months? (Oof...)

That makes a lot more sense. Having an in-joke that flies past is a bad thing. That example does look a bit tacky, though.

Don't worry, we will end up with 51 shades at the very least next time around. Can't be zero? Then top them! Maybe there is infinite shades.

backlot

I only ever RNG'd in Platinum. It takes a ridiculous amount of steps, but is less error prone then what you are making the others sound like. (Of course, if you mess up while counting during the thing, it's screwed.)
5th gen is like Platinum but with way less counting. It's not a huge deal if you mess up because you can try again so quickly. I had to do like 500 page flips in Platinum to get an HP grass Zapdos. It really sucked.

Stage On

Anyone have any news about when the next volume of Pokemon Adventures is coming out in Signapor?

It's sad that the Viz version is actually going to outpace it soon :( But after 41 volumes I don't feel like switching over.

Wichu

Coin flips were used when breeding to get natures/shininess. There was a separate RNG algorithm used for that part of breeding and the Pokétch as opposed to almost everything else.

I wonder if X/Y's RNG will be cracked. It's much harder to get the basic data (e.g. how exactly the game uses the current time) without an emulator to find the bits in the code that do it - with ever more complicated RNG algorithms, trial and error is out of the question. There is the possibility that it doesn't change much from 5th gen; the only big change from 3rd to 4th gens was that the game used the DS clock.

Top Bottom