• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Haha I was about to say the opposite.

What is the most powerful non-Uber Pokemon from each gen? All I know for sure is GSC-Snorlax.

I have to say both art are just plain weird.

Most powerful non-Uber? Well, that, I'm not up-to-date with competitive battling stuff, so...

Do you think the entire PokéGAF should go cute for a day?

Zeroth

As Exterminieren eloquently put, a community is a place where people with similar tastes get together and talk about stuff, generally their interest. Even within Pokemon, I know there are many people who have different tastes on the various aspects of it, be it the competitive play, anime or even RéBURST.

That said, I think it's ridiculous that a community has to ban "pervy" images because a certain group is bothered by it. And I don't think this because I feel pervy images are essential to this thread (particularly, I don't really mind them), but because it leaves the impression that ultimately there is a certain group of people who don't like certain topics and are imposing such to others. If you don't like it, that's okay, we can spoiler them or post them moderately, but is it really necessary to ban? I'm not talking about ToS-breaking rules, but simple stuff like anime fanart that has been considered "pervy" by some people here.

I think that if we want to act as a community, deciding to what extend things should be discussed is fine. We are not a community when rules are imposed and enforced without much talk on them.

Additionally, I think the use of mod back-seating, even if jokingly, is not really a suitable way to deal with situations here. I'm not talking about situations where that is required, but I think the Chet case was in particular something that could have been discussed within the community, rather than poking a moderator about it. I say this because it shows that the community lacks a certain level of communication which I see as essential for it working as it should, and that involving a third party always leaves an uncomfortable situation to all involved.

Finally, I think the rules in this thread should work as guidelines, and not as rules per see. No other community thread sees the need to add so much restriction to their content, I don't see why we should be different. I think we are all grown up and we can deal with these issues within this thread.

Kokonoe

Banned
True, but I'm definitely coming from a place of bias, because that Charizard image on the Western card is iconic to me.

It certainly is iconic, and the artist did another one.

wHLRC.jpg

I do recall when I use to see all these Ken Sugimori art cards that were only in Japan, I use to wonder who made these, until I found out a few years later. I always wanting to go after the "official art" cards.

Kokonoe

Banned
As Exterminieren eloquently put, a community is a place where people with similar tastes get together and talk about stuff, generally their interest. Even within Pokemon, I know there are many people who have different tastes on the various aspects of it, be it the competitive play, anime or even RéBURST.

That said, I think it's ridiculous that a community has to ban "pervy" images because a certain group is bothered by it. And I don't think this because I feel pervy images are essential to this thread (particularly, I don't really mind them), but because it leaves the impression that ultimately there is a certain group of people who don't like certain topics and are imposing such to others. If you don't like it, that's okay, we can spoiler them or post them moderately, but is it really necessary to ban? I'm not talking about ToS-breaking rules, but simple stuff like anime fanart that has been considered "pervy" by some people here.

I think that if we want to act as a community, deciding to what extend things should be discussed is fine. We are not a community when rules are imposed and enforced without much talk on them.

Additionally, I think the use of mod back-seating, even if jokingly, is not really a suitable way to deal with situations here. I'm not talking about situations where that is required, but I think the Chet case was in particular something that could have been discussed within the community, rather than poking a moderator about it. I say this because it shows that the community lacks a certain level of communication which I see as essential for it working as it should, and that involving a third party always leaves an uncomfortable situation to all involved.

Finally, I think the rules in this thread should work as guidelines, and not as rules per see. No other community thread sees the need to add so much restriction to their content, I don't see why we should be different. I think we are all grown up and we can deal with these issues within this thread.

It got to that point because of why they were being posted, not because they were being posted. Also, Chet Rippo wasn't specifically targeted, it was the discussion that was. Chet Rippo did something else to get banned from the NeoGAF rules, not the PokeGAF rules. (which is the only thing I've been talking about)

This topic is clearly one opinion versus the other on the imagery and discussion part, but this specific type of discussion is much different than topics such as fanart, video games, manga, cards, music, and ideas. This topic has a time and a place, and NeoGAF has plenty of places to discuss it with are used by some of the members here. NeoGAF has it's own rules on this, but this community is based around "Pokemon", not sexual preferences. When it gets to that far, that's where it starts bothering me. For you, you don't mind, for me and a few others it's literally trashing the thread in a bad way.

I understand how that may come across about the imposing, but that's not the goal here. It's the one thing that is universal, and for a Pokemon Community I think it's severely out of place here. That's my opinion.

I'm clearly alone in a lot of opinions in this topic regarding the games and I don't mention anything about that, that would be absolutely ridiculous. Only this topic which isn't unique to Pokemon.

I'm not going to write a well-written speech like the others, but I just want to expand on what Ex and Zeroth said: I know that there are a few of you who probably can't stand me, just as I'm sure that a few of you who consider me a friend. This thread and its posters represent a very diverse group of people from all walks of life, and I feel that limiting their freedom and telling them they can't enjoy what they like is not how a community should function. I'm not upset at Kokonoe at all (I think that some of you should even lay off of her a bit), but I do think that there should be a little less restriction when it comes to the images that may be posted. I'm not a huge fan of said images, but when I see something I don't like, I just leave. Simple as that. I value many of you as both people and posters, and as said before, I don't enjoy watching people I care for being called "perverts" for liking what they like.

Anyways, that's all I want to say. Thanks.

This topic is clearly one opinion versus the other on the imagery and discussion part, but this specific type of discussion is much different than topics such as fanart, video games, manga, cards, music, and ideas. This topic has a time and a place, and NeoGAF has plenty of places to discuss it with are used by some of the members here. NeoGAF has it's own rules on this, but this community is based around "Pokemon", not sexual preferences. When it gets to that far, that's where it starts bothering me. For you, you don't mind, for me and a few others it's literally trashing the thread in a bad way.

It's based around Pokémon, yes. That doesn't even remotely mean it should only be about Pokémon, and it's misunderstanding the concept of a community to declare otherwise.

Are you aware about how this thread came into existence? It started with a group of like-minded Pokémon fans colonising a next-gen Pokemon thread on the Gaming side, and eventually dragging the thread off-topic with rankings, discussions about other media, and, yes, occasionally a bit of fanart. We were encouraged to start a Community Thread to talk about this stuff as a group without bothering the people on the main board. The intention was never to rigidly stick to Pokemon, and particularly not limiting to the most sanitised aspects of Pokemon; it was simply a thread where people who had a common interest hung out.

And I fail to see conversations based around sexual preferences, beyond the absolute basics. We should all be reasonably mature posters here who can avoid freaking out over someone posting a shot from an anime.

I'm clearly alone in a lot of opinions in this topic regarding the games and I don't mention anything about that, that would be absolutely ridiculous. Only this topic which isn't unique to Pokemon.

I was called a Nazi last week for disliking Gen II. Didn't bother me.

I am not aware of one poster in this thread who's attempted to shut down your opinions in the same way you've attempted to shut down the opinions and preferences of others.

I'm not going to write a well-written speech like the others, but I just want to expand on what Ex and Zeroth said: I know that there are a few of you who probably can't stand me, just as I'm sure that a few of you who consider me a friend. This thread and its posters represent a very diverse group of people from all walks of life, and I feel that limiting their freedom and telling them they can't enjoy what they like is not how a community should function. I'm not upset at Kokonoe at all (I think that some of you should even lay off of her a bit), but I do think that there should be a little less restriction when it comes to the images that may be posted. I'm not a huge fan of said images, but when I see something I don't like, I just leave. Simple as that. I value many of you as both people and posters, and as said before, I don't enjoy watching people I care for being called "perverts" for liking what they like.

Anyways, that's all I want to say. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry. The people who don't like you don't like anything, and that's why we love them. <3

Kokonoe

Banned
I want to apologize for everyone for using "pervert" to describe you as that was quite rude. I merely reached my limit which doesn't happen often and used foul language, for that I apologize.

It's based around Pokémon, yes. That doesn't even remotely mean it should only be about Pokémon, and it's misunderstanding the concept of a community to declare otherwise.

Are you aware about how this thread came into existence? It started with a group of like-minded Pokémon fans colonising a next-gen Pokemon thread on the Gaming side, and eventually dragging the thread off-topic with rankings, discussions about other media, and, yes, occasionally a bit of fanart. We were encouraged to start a Community Thread to talk about this stuff as a group without bothering the people on the main board. The intention was never to rigidly stick to Pokemon, and particularly not limiting to the most sanitised aspects of Pokemon; it was simply a thread where people who had a common interest hung out.

And I fail to see conversations based around sexual preferences, beyond the absolute basics. We should all be reasonably mature posters here who can avoid freaking out over someone posting a shot from an anime.

I understand how community threads are formed, however, the SonicGAF thread was formed in a similar way with a much ruder audience here on NeoGAF. Having a nice place to discuss your favorite things is well, nice, but they don't even allow normal fanart there. (well, the general Sonic kind not the normal kind)

What are the "basics"? The issue here is the part where it appears people are looking at the characters gender like a piece of meat. They aren't real, but what they are discussing goes into the real category. Because one topic is "Pokemon", doesn't mean all things "Pokemon" must be posted and discussed here. I can think of other things as well which I'd rather not.

I was called a Nazi last week for disliking Gen II. Didn't bother me.

I am not aware of one poster in this thread who's attempted to shut down your opinions in the same way you've attempted to shut down the opinions and preferences of others.

I also also called out for disliking Gen V a few times, but that's not we're discussing here. I'm not here to shutdown peoples opinions, and I clearly am not here to shut down preferences as I've clearly mentioned that there is nothing wrong with liking something, but this thread to discuss that specific subject I don't believe is correct.

Gravijah

as i have said countless times before, if you are going to post something that others might not want to see, just mark it and don't link it as an image.

Zeroth

It got to that point because of why they were being posted, not because they were being posted. Also, Chet Rippo wasn't specifically targeted, it was the discussion that was. Chet Rippo did something else to get banned from the NeoGAF rules, not the PokeGAF rules. (which is the only thing I've been talking about)

I wasn't referring to the ban, but to the fact that a mod had to get involved on this. The reasons Chet was banned are up to the moderation and it's not up to me to argue about them.

It's fine to have your own opinion, really, that's not something I have a problem with. The issue is that this "sexy" fanart is posted normally in several different communities, and it never got to the point where:

a. People had to create a separate thread for it.
b. The topic had to be banned from the community.

These two factors show that rather than trying to work around this, people have decided to segregate the community in those who like or not this topic, and this is the core of the issue.

I understand how that may come across about the imposing, but that's not the goal here. It's the one thing that is universal, and for a Pokemon Community I think it's
severely out of place here. That's my opinion.

That's your opinion indeed, but sadly it has been carried as a rule. I'm not saying you're at fault here, but that the rules were built with people like you in mind, and this is where all this issue comes from, because no one's opinion should be carried as a rule in a community where many people have different tastes.

Again, your opinion is not an issue. You're free to express them, really, we all have silly opinions on stuff (specially if your name is Gravijah). The only issue is that a lot of the past threads have been carried with a specific set of opinions in mind, and enforced them over others.

If you and others feel bothered by these images, we can limit them to spoiler tags. That way, only those willing to discuss/see them will do so, and those who don't can carry on with their lives. The only thing that shouldn't happen is outright ban the topic, because it brings the issue of a group of people feeling unwelcomed in the thread, being that the original intention or not.

Kokonoe

Banned
If you and others feel bothered by these images, we can limit them to spoiler tags. That way, only those willing to discuss/see them will do so, and those who don't can carry on with their lives. The only thing that shouldn't happen is outright ban the topic, because it brings the issue of a group of people feeling unwelcomed in the thread, being that the original intention or not.

I will compromise on the spoiler tag part. That is fine.

Why is Bianca such a badass in the anime? It's weird.

:lol

She really isn't. She constantly fucks everything up.

She only got as far as she did in the Clubsplosion because Emboar battled a Pokemon with 4x weakness to fighting, and Trip's hilariously shit Conkeldurr.

I will compromise on the spoiler tag part. That is fine.
This is fine by me, yes.

My second thing would be... don't hold grudges over this, those who are still mad. It's good that it was talked about in the first place, so that it doesn't stew in the background.

And third, as an aside, it shouldn't be necessary to threaten people over doing GIF posts, really.

Nevertheless, I want people to come back, because at a basic level, we all talk Pokemon to some extent, and use it as a tool to come together - that's why we have the community thread in the first place. Maybe direct talk away from certain areas, but don't assume that people that don't fit a certain mold aren't suited to post here at all.

---

1273860249142yus9b.jpg

maybe if you didn't stay up all night.

I work all night, I just post from my phone during breaks.

Oh we were on the fanart thing? Eh...I was on Koko's side but don't expect me to be super vocal about pervy fanart. Spoiler tagging is cool though.

Just no posting realistic Pokemon, that stuff is scarier than the ninth circle of hell.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The spoiler tag idea is a fine one, but as to whether or not a group of people will feel unwelcomed, I think it's really an issue of the kind of people we want partaking in the community. What I don't want is for PokeGAF to get a stigma for being the new Sonic Passion. That limits the type of people I want actually posting here, and attracts the type that could further a downspiral. That was the original impetus for the increased restrictions with the new thread.

Gravijah

I work all night, I just post from my phone during breaks.

excuses!

The spoiler tag idea is a fine one, but as to whether or not a group of people will feel unwelcomed, I think it's really an issue of the kind of people we want partaking in the community. What I don't want is for PokeGAF to get a stigma for being the new Sonic Passion. That limits the type of people I want actually posting here, and attracts the type that could further a downspiral. That was the original impetus for the increased restrictions with the new thread.

i wouldn't really worry about that. the art is usually posted tongue in cheek

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
i wouldn't really worry about that. the art is usually posted tongue in cheek

Even still, Firestorm has posted several times about the creepiness of this thread, which is disappointing to me. Whether that itself was tongue in cheek, I might have missed.

I really think you're overthinking this.

Pokemon fandom has far bigger image problems than a few people posting busty fanart.

Even still, Firestorm has posted several times about the creepiness of this thread, which is disappointing to me. Whether that itself was tongue in cheek, I might have missed.

It was mainly the case that other people could see the thread in real life where Firestorm was, IIRC.

Which is fair enough; that's why I don't use public computers to browse GAF.

I don't have any great fondness for the fanart, but I'd rather have good posters and discussion than seeing it eradicated completely.

Gravijah

yes, which is why i have said multiple times that people should start spoilering/tagging such things.

but i wouldn't worry about an influx of creepy people in PokeGAF.

Zeroth

I don't think we should be limiting who posts here or not by their tastes. I don't like creepy people either, but as a community we should be open to everyone, otherwise we stop being a community and become a club.

If you have concerns on what people will think of the people who post here because of what X posts, I wouldn't worry about that. It takes a big (and I say big) push to any community be seen as the next "Sonic fandom", and pokemon is very far from that (specially when the sexy fanart involves human characters ;P).

We really should be open to all kinds of talks. Some are more constructive than others, but don't think it's up to us to judge which is which.

Top Bottom