• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

So, one day, long ago, I was with a group of kids after church, and I spotted two of them swapping cards of some sort. I wandered over, and asked, "Oh, what's this for?"

"Oh, it's a game called Pokemon."

sandshrew_base_set_tcgcs60.jpg

Before everything, this was the absolute first thing I saw related to Pokemon. I didn't get to play the card game that day, but I was hooked in a way with the idea of it (the series), facing off against others with monsters.

Kazzy

Before everything, this was the absolute first thing I saw related to Pokemon. I didn't get to play the card game that day, but I was hooked in a way with the idea of it (the series), facing off against others with monsters.

I'm pretty sure my first exposure was the anime, but the TCG came shortly after, when a friend showed me his new Charizard card. It wasn't long before he gifted me a couple of booster packs, I remember getting the Chansey card in my first pack:

ChanseyBaseSet3.jpg

In retrospect, apart from its relative rarity, its pretty damn awful as an actual card!

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually still own my very first Pokemon card, (the first one I ever saw but it was all together in one deck) it was Gyarados from the Overgrowth Deck. It is scratched to oblivion, though. I've owned it since 1998.

(not my picture)

I still remember with Pokemon cards used nifty gems for damage counters.

Soma

9jt8L.jpg

My first holographic card. It was awesome because NO ONE at my school had him yet.

My all time favorite card though was probably my Rocket's Mewtwo

rIH7f.jpg

So sick.

I'm pretty sure my first exposure was the anime, but the TCG came shortly after, when a friend showed me his new Charizard card. It wasn't long before he gifted me a couple of booster packs, I remember getting the Chansey card in my first pack:

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/f/fc/ChanseyBaseSet3.jpg[IMG]

In retrospect, apart from its relative rarity, its pretty damn awful as an actual card![/QUOTE]
The initial wave of popularity passed me by, because that year, I happened to not be in the US. Once I did come back for the 5th grade though, it was this instance that I first caught wind of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think my first was Chansey too, or this Machamp:

7HACR.jpg

I think it was the "headline" card of one of the Base Set decks. I also remember the Pikachu in the OP, mostly because of how unique I thought it looked (compared to the anime.) I loved that card and that art.

Kazzy

9jt8L.jpg

My first holographic card. It was awesome because NO ONE at my school had him yet.

Indeed. I don't think I saw Zapdos for a long while either, and the same goes for Venusaur and Blastoise. I was actually more excited to see those than Charizard, which I was lucky enough to get relatively early. The good/bad thing about the TCG game, though, was that it was so popular that it could quite hard for some to grasp the value of certain cards. It pretty much always devolved into someone wanting to trade whatever foil card they had, in exchange for my Charizard.

Before I actually knew the entire list of the base set, it was quite fun to speculate which of the remaining Pokemon filled out the collection. So many bullshit claims were spread around.

Boney

Banned
when we visited new york back in 99 all I wanted was my pokemon cards along with my brother and a friend of his asked us to get it. They were impossible to find because they hadn't stocked them yet or were sold out. But we got into this super famous toy store, and just when you got to the second floor there was a middle rack with pokemon cards and boy was it awesome.

Me being smart, got the fire and grass set cause my brother had the water grass set, and we got his friend the lame psychic one.

Learning how to play back at the hotel room was just amazing and then when we came home we were the only ones in the entire school with the cards for months and I had to play with my friends by splitting the deck.

Was amazing

unrelated note, less than an hour to finish this omg

CorvoSol

I'm not going crazy, right? This thread is the reason everybody's avatar is currently their favorite pokemon groping Chet Rippo's avatar?

Stage On

I ran a psychic/fighting deck back in the day with Mewtwo, Mr.Mime and Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee as my crew it was great since it was able to beat down a Raindance deck with ease.

Kokonoe

Banned
I liked Dark Charizard and got it in one of the first few rocket boosters I received, but it sure is rather bad in comparison to the original one. For battling I mean.

I liked Dark Charizard and got it in one of the first few rocket boosters I received, but it sure is rather bad in comparison to the original one. For battling I mean.

You're right, too bad it was literally a trading card game where I lived and not much battling actually took place.

Kokonoe

Banned
You're right, too bad it was literally a trading card game where I lived and not much battling actually took place.

From viewing this thread I actually feel a bit of pity for those who didn't get to experience the card game for what it was meant for. It was just as enjoyable as the actual games were. At least people did against the CPU in the gameboy version, though.

You know what I miss? You notice how at the bottom of the card it gives a description of the Pokemon? They stopped doing that after a bit.

Need to complete TCG 2 translated. Too many games for one mortal soul... But hey, it has the rocket/dark cards in it!

Kokonoe

Banned
I also considerably enjoyed making unique competitive decks, such as my Poliwrath/Politoed, Venusaur/Charizard, Colorless, and a lot more. What was great was that you could practically make the game your own compared to a lot of other card games, and I do admit I actually like it more than Yu-Gi-Oh! or any other card game. (Before Gen IV that is)

Probably the only game I've ever been decent at.

Zeroth

I collected them too, lol.

How many kids on the playground actually played vs. collecting them all :D

In my school we had a Magic and Yu-gi-oh fad, but no pokemon tcg fad. I remember once walking into a table with 2 guys playing pokemon tcg, and asked them what the hell they were doing.
They never brought their pokemon cards to school after that :(

Top Bottom