• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kokonoe

Banned
True but look at the Genie for it...he's not playing with power like the original Game Genie!

It's because it lacks this.

cGI8F.jpg

Who decides what information to put in the Pokédex? Most of it doesn't line up with the Pokémon's actual stats. Let's take a look at various Pokémon's Speed for example.

Arcanine is known for its high speed. It is said to be capable of running over 6,200 miles in a single day and night. The fire that blazes wildly within this Pokémon's body is its source of power.

6,200 miles in a single 24 hour period gives an average speed of 258.3 mph. But it only has a base Speed of 95.

It [Rapidash] usually canters casually in the fields and plains. But once a Rapidash turns serious, its fiery manes flare and blaze as it gallops its way up to 150 mph.

So why does Rapidash get 105 base Speed and Arcanine only 95?

When Doduo evolves into this odd breed, one of its heads splits into two. It [Dodrio] runs at nearly 40 mph.

Dodrio gets 100 base Speed for crying out loud!

It [Pidgeot] spreads its beautiful wings wide to frighten its enemies. It can fly at Mach 2 speed.

Mach 2 is 1522.4 mph. But they only gave it 91 base Speed.

Dragonite is capable of circling the globe in just sixteen hours. It is a kindhearted Pokémon that leads lost and foundering ships in a storm to the safety of land.

The earth's circumference is 24,901 miles. So it's pretty much Mach 2; 1556.3 mph to be precise by their terms. And it battles with a measly 80 base Speed!

I demand Professor Oak be put on leave until he can answer for these gross inaccuracies!

I think I'm seeing more and more avatars reverting.

Wow, I feel very drowsy after holding up to stream a movie night - Mewtwo Strikes Back is the first one for the first day of the movie nights. I need to crash... but Owl City is not letting me to.

What do you prefer in a Pokemon, power, speed, or balance?

I think I'm just going to fall back on my "PokéDex entries are written by 10-year-olds" argument and use it to justify every continuity/factual error that Pokémon has.

I'll accept the agility argument for some of them, but I'll use a car analogy for Arcanine and Rapidash, since they are not greatly different in anatomy--size or shape.

A BMW 328i does 150 mph, and a Bugatti Veyron does 258 mph. I don't care how "agile" you make the BMW, there is a point where you can't reason it should ever be faster than the Veyron. The Veyron (Arcanine) would have to have tremendously slow acceleration to be beaten by some piddly 328i (Rapidash).

The real point to the story is, I want Arcanine to have a higher base Speed. :|

6PyVG.gif
M9sr5.gif

They are pretty.

They're my favorite player characters. B2/W2 is a big step backwards. :(

It is indeed. No matter how hard they try, Sailor Leia and Palmtree-head will never replace good old H&H in my heart.

...well they spent 2 years looking for N...But red did stay on top of a mountain for some reason.

Poor Red. Enters Mt. Silver looking for a Larvitar, gets brain damage from the high altitude and forgets how to talk and how to leave.

Esura

Banned
...well they spent 2 years looking for N...But red did stay on top of a mountain for some reason.

Because it's Red. A one man army.

I've yet to play another Pokemon game that really hypes up the previous protagonist like Gold and Silver did for Red. I wonder would B2/W2 do the same for Hilda/Hilbert. Then again, they aren't technically champions if B2/W2 doesn't factor the post game stuff.

When they first announced B2/W2 as direct sequels, I wanted so badly for them to say we would get to transfer EVERYTHING from the first games and keep playing as the same characters. But, alas...

Maybe. I look forward to the day when we get to keep playing each new game/region as if we are continuing from our previous journey and not starting over as some new nobody. :(

I'd even take a Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages situation in the meantime! Two games that eventually connect as one!

Kazzy

When they first announced B2/W2 as direct sequels, I wanted so badly for them to say we would get to transfer EVERYTHING from the first games and keep playing as the same characters. But, alas...

That would have been cool, although I'm sure the logistics of maintaining any sort of balance, would prove to be an absolute nightmare.

That said, I would appreciate a stronger continuity with characters.

That would have been cool, although I'm sure the logistics of maintaining any sort of balance, would prove to be an absolute nightmare.

That said, I would appreciate a stronger continuity with characters.

My solution would be an "Ash" rule. Just like when he moves to a new area, have the game acknowledge you have all of your old Pokémon in storage, but only let you use one of them (and even then limit it to a lower level Pokémon). That way you mostly rely on new stuff. After you become Champion it would unlock all of your old Pokémon to do with as you please!

I would love to play through a new game and have characters acknowledge me as some powerful trainer they'd all heard about.

Esura

Banned
The third goddess in the Legend of Zelda games.

The Oracle of Seasons was named for the oracle Din, and the Oracle of Ages for the oracle Nayru. They originally planned a third GBC game for the oracle Farore, but it got cut along the way.

Oh...didn't know that. Thanks.

I never finished a Zelda game before. I get like 10 or so hours in then I end up dropping.

Oh...didn't know that. Thanks.

I never finished a Zelda game before. I get like 10 or so hours in then I end up dropping.

The two Game Boy Color Oracle games were neat. It didn't matter which you played first, but after beating one of them you could transfer certain items and story decisions to the second game, and certain characters would acknowledge you as the hero from the first game. After beating both, the true ending boss was unlocked and characters from both games joined the story.

That's sort of what I wanted for B2/W2 coming from B/W.

Maybe next time!

Zeroth

I'll accept the agility argument for some of them, but I'll use a car analogy for Arcanine and Rapidash, since they are not greatly different in anatomy--size or shape.

A BMW 328i does 150 mph, and a Bugatti Veyron does 258 mph. I don't care how "agile" you make the BMW, there is a point where you can't reason it should ever be faster than the Veyron. The Veyron (Arcanine) would have to have tremendously slow acceleration to be beaten by some piddly 328i (Rapidash).

The real point to the story is, I want Arcanine to have a higher base Speed. :|

Arcanine has one of the highest BST in the game for non-legendaries, its problem is that the stats aren't specialized into anything (for example, having two base 80 defenses and a 90 base HP). If anything, his stats need to be redistributed so it can get a more appealing role in tems.

MikeMyers

Arcanine has one of the highest BST in the game for non-legendaries, its problem is that the stats aren't specialized into anything (for example, having two base 80 defenses and a 90 base HP). If anything, his stats need to be redistributed so it can get a more appealing role in tems.

I think its his type that ruins him. Fire isn't the best Physical Stab, as its either too weak or has recoil. And its a poor defensive type. Weak to Stealth Rock, weak to Earthquake (common on a lot of Physical Sweepers, and on Sandstream teams), and weak to Water (Drizzle being common).

Still, Arcanine is a cool dude, maybe if he got Dragon Dance and GameFreak made a strong non-recoil Fire Move, he could see some use.

Top Bottom