• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I would have that thing in question as a Secret Santa present! I really do like... that thing that has been mentioned in passing.

You mean
Moby Dick
?

ho-ho-ho.png

"You'll get your leg bitten off, kid!"

I don't get it. Did zychi edit his post because you guys were talking about Billiechu? Going by Scrafty's quote and response, zychi wasn't in the "wrong thread."

Stage On

You know I've always bought the official strategy guide to go with the games but these days to can get most of the info online easy.

I wonder if it's still even worth getting one for Black and White 2

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
You know I've always bought the official strategy guide to go with the games but these days to can get most of the info online easy.

Honestly I never saw the point of getting a strategy guide for the "counterpart" Pokemon titles , but if it's a habit then why break? Go for it.

ffdgh

jp bw2 have already been out long enough to know about everything.

Kokonoe

Banned
I dislike getting the initial guides because they lack so much Pokemon information, although I still buy them anyways for whatever reason. I've bought every guide since the first one for Red and Blue.

Stage On

I dislike getting the initial guides because they lack so much Pokemon information, although I still buy them anyways for whatever reason. I've bought every guide since the first one for Red and Blue.

Yay I'm not happy about how they've been splitting the guides in two so often these days.

Gen 3 you only needed one book. Now with the exception of Platinum they always come in two parts which is BS.

Luckily for the most part you can skip the second volume since it's usually just a Pokedex but that's not the case with Heart Gold/Soul silver since they withhold all the data on Kanto for the second book.

I get the guides for the pretty pictures. Shame Nintendo Power is going the way of the Dodo, I enjoyed their Pokemon Guides...Versus was pretty decent as well.

Actually 10 days, but I liked this art too much to pass on posting it.

http://pokebw2.tumblr.com/

This Tumblr is doing art each day to count down the B2/W2 release! Ahhh, so much hype! I'm going to burn out before I ever play it.

Most likely due to the OP rules about Black and White 2. Probably misunderstood.

I would much prefer that be the case! It just looked really bad at first glance when I was reading through the thread and catching up. That's an unlucky place to need to edit out a post!

Kokonoe

Banned
Yay I'm not happy about how they've been splitting the guides in two so often these days.

Gen 3 you only needed one book. Now with the exception of Platinum they always come in two parts which is BS.

Luckily for the most part you can skip the second volume since it's usually just a Pokedex but that's not the case with Heart Gold/Soul silver since they withhold all the data on Kanto for the second book.

HeartGold/SoulSilver megabooks are great. I actually have both the pocket one and the larger one.

I get the guides for the pretty pictures. Shame Nintendo Power is going the way of the Dodo, I enjoyed their Pokemon Guides...Versus was pretty decent as well.

Never forget.

I used the stickers (which were little squares featuring every sprite) and would put them on my clear Gameboy cartridge holders.

MikeMyers

Got all the gym badges in my new Leaf Green run, Gyarados took the last 4 leaders out easily.

Bulbasaur needs to learn a stronger Grass move in Leaf Green. :/

Stage On

HeartGold/SoulSilver megabooks are great. I actually have both the pocket one and the larger one.

Well to be honest I was more pissed at the fact it took them so long to release the second volume then anything else, thought I wasn't happy at the double dipping either after how great Platinum's guide was.

I had to work when Platinum came out and asked my mom to pick up my preorder for me. To my surprise she came home with the both the game AND the guide which she had bought for me as a gift :)

Never forget.

I used the stickers (which were little squares featuring every sprite) and would put them on my clear Gameboy cartridge holders.

Ahh yes, I was kinda annoyed when they made a SEPARATE sticker book for the stickers for HG/SS. Nice try jerks.

Busaiku

I still think they'll use N/Team Plasma after the championships to extend it.
I mean what else are they supposed to do until Gen VI comes out.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ahh yes, I was kinda annoyed when they made a SEPARATE sticker book for the stickers for HG/SS. Nice try jerks.

I didn't know that existed, that kinda is lame. I recall being excited while I was much younger to see all the stickers, I'm sure there are others these days that would feel the same with their introductions to Pokemon.

What, how? They can do plenty of things, like release another Pokemon Pinball, give us the sequel to Pokemon Snap or...come up with a Pokemon Collection in the vein of the recent Kirby and Mario Collections.

EDIT: Here's that freaking Pokemon HG/SS Sticker book.

Gen VI coming out in January confirmed!

Nah, I reckon we'll get a World Tournament Senior Cup arc; maybe a few old gym leaders returning into the bargain as well.

Stage On

Man it would be cool if they did it like the games.

Ash wins the Pokemon League and goes to challenge the Elite 4. After beating them he goes to challenge the champion but is interrupted by N and then Ash has to stop Team Plasma.

Man it would be cool if they did it like the games.

Ash wins the Pokemon League and goes to challenge the Elite 4. After beating them he goes to challenge the champion but is interrupted by N and then Ash has to stop Team Plasma.

Why would you ever get your hopes up like this.

Stage On

Why would you ever get your hopes up like this.

Blind optimism I suppose. I'm not exactly holding my breath for it to come true.

Ash went from

Top 16
Top 8 (with reserves)
Top 8 (with out reserves)
Top 4

Although to be fair in the last one he was really top two since he's the ONLY person who managed to take out the Winners Darkrai

So it's not totally unrealistic if he where to actually win, the only question is will the writers finally freaking allow it or not?

I mean I don't see any reason why he couldn't win and still go to the next region anyhow. 1 League does not a Pokemon Master make.

Blind optimism I suppose. I'm not exactly holding my breath for it to come true.

Ash went from

Top 16
Top 8 (with reserves)
Top 8 (with out reserves)
Top 4

Although to be fair in the last one he was really top two since he's the ONLY person who managed to take out the Winners Darkrai

So it's not totally unrealistic if he where to actually win, the only question is will the writers finally freaking allow it or not?

I mean I don't see any reason why he couldn't win and still go to the next region anyhow. 1 League does not a Pokemon Master make.

I like to think that Ash won the Lily of the Valley conference because the real winner used Action Replay and should therefor be disqualified :/

Androids were the my favourite villains.

I liked the Ginyu Squad best.

Stage On

I like to think that Ash won the Lily of the Valley conference because the real winner used Action Replay and should therefor be disqualified :/

I'm with you their. The writers really had to go out of their way to "justify" Ash losing that one after all the advancements he'd made over the course of that region.

He was doing so well it really did feel like he should have won the league. This region not so much..

MikeMyers

I like how the Android battles are more physical based. #18 vs Vegeta was awesome.

Alright, finished Victory Road and my team is Venusaur/Gyarados/Jolteon/Dodrio/Ninetails. I have Clefable, but its underleveled. Should I just get Articuno for Lance?

Kokonoe

Banned
All I remember is that Majin Buu arc sucked and dragged on forever.

It did, nothing compared to GT, but it did. I'm not interested in getting into a discussion about it at the moment as I only have time for simple responses currently, but I've picked a part the reasons why before.

Buu saga is poorly written, it's not quite GT, but it's still pretty bad.

1. Gohan's personality completely changes, now that's not to say this isn't possible to change a bit, but Gohan was a completely different person in this arc.

2. Super Saiyan forms and transformation became essentially fodder. In the Cell saga, it was amazing that Gohan was even able to turn Super Saiyan at such an age, but this was due to the fact that he always had a mysterious power inside of him that he couldn't control for more than a few seconds.

In the Buu saga, Goten becomes Super Saiyan sparring with his mother, completely degrading all the transformations that previous took place. Trunks had a similar transformation, and it wasn't due to circumstances and power that it was before.

3. Piccolo is made into a joke, and he was never as frightened and stiff like this ever before. He would fight practically anyone, even if he knew the circumstances weren't in his favor. He gets turned to stone in a blink of an eye by Dabura, which he could've dodged if he wasn't completely paralyzed by an irrational fear.

Dabura's spit is also rather silly in itself with all the Z fighters have endured over the years, surely something like that wouldn't stop them.

4. Goku died defending the earth, and he left the earth up to Gohan. All the character development from since the Saiyan saga had Gohan going through all these trials, and all these comparisons to be that he was the one who would take over his fathers job as Earth's guardian.

They completely disregarded all that development and brought Goku back as a main stay, even though his son was his replacement. It eventually gets to the point where Gohan dies for the very first time because he's knocked out on the ground and Buu destroys the planet with one move.

5. Buu's absorbing is ridiculous. In the fights with Gotenks VS Buu, Gohan VS Buu, etc, they fight as if they're equals or are more powerful. It doesn't make sense that a simple blob on Buu's body has the power to completely contain, and absorb them while rendering them completely useless.

It happened to Gotenks while he was at full power.

6. The Mystic Gohan part makes absolutely no sense. It gets to a point where Gohan is training with this legendary Z Sword because with the training from it, it'll give him the strength to defeat Buu. He lifts up the sword, they break it eventually and out comes the previous Supreme Kai.

He apparently is a Kai that fused with a random witch that apparently can unlock people's power. So he senses that Gohan has immense amount of power stored away that hasn't been unlocked (which Super Saiyan 2 was suppose to be this), and they unlock his power after 5 or more episodes. It was even a theme, all this build up, and what happens when he gets to Buu? After one episode, he is absolutely beat down by Buu and makes no offensive against Buu in any way, shape, or form.

There's more I'm missing, but I'd have to revisit it some more. Buu saga was poorly written, but it's still okay to watch if you don't take it seriously.

Ultratech

Never forget.

Heh, I still have that guide, though it's looking worse for wear these days (the cover's come off completely, and a few pages are about to come out). Funny enough, I still have the stickers intact and perfect.

Also had the original G/S guide from NP for a long time before I gave it to my cousins. Decent guide, but the lack of a 'dex really hurt it.

It did, nothing compared to GT, but it did. I'm not interested in getting into a discussion about it at the moment as I only have time for simple responses currently, but I've picked a part the reasons why before.

Goddamn did I hate that Mystic Gohan crap. All that build up and he promptly got his ass stomped. Was so pissed...

MikeMyers

Many people believe Toriyama wanted Gohan to be the hero and the fans wanted Goku, but it was actually the other way around, Toriyama always preferred Goku, and it was the fans who wanted Gohan as the hero. Eventually Toriyama got sick of the fans complaints and decided it was his series, so he ended it with Goku as the hero.

Stage On

Alright, finished Victory Road and my team is Venusaur/Gyarados/Jolteon/Dodrio/Ninetails. I have Clefable, but its underleveled. Should I just get Articuno for Lance?

Ah don't cop out by using a legendary. I'd be way more impressed if you leveled up Clefable a bit and beat him with that instead.

Top Bottom