• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Rocks.png

I like how I see black when in mobile GAF and using the dark theme.

What if that move ceased to exist?

Kokonoe

Banned
I think Stealth Rock is the best move in the game, or at least one of the top ones. I know Calm Mind, Sword Dance, and other boost moves are there.

Well that depends. If it's just in game during the storyline the computer doesn't switch around much so it's not very effective....

Against other humans however it can be devastating

Yeah I don't play competitively so I never bothered with it. I see your point though.

I've never drawn much. At most I only ever doodle (and fawn over what other people draw). And you can forget about me drawing anything recognizable without being able to see it. I've never been able to put images from my mind to paper.

But I've always wanted to try drawing Arcanine, and I've had Pokémon-mania for the past couple of months, so tonight was finally the night! I used the Blaine's Arcanine trading card as my reference.

It's not so good, but I guess it's okay for an hour's work with my pitiful artistic skills.

I copied it to my computer because I wanted to see if I could do anything with it in GIMP to make it look better. Unfortunately, after I had been messing with it for a while, I realized I had drawn him with a really long head. :(

But I sort of fixed that too! :)

Hooray!

I know it's not great. I just wanted to share. ;~;

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't draw myself, but I plan on taking classes sometime next year. It's something that takes a few years, but I believe anyone can draw if they put enough time and effort into it. Talent makes things faster, though.

Firestorm

Stealth Rock is really only good if you're playing Singles. In Doubles, there's quite a bit of switching but the setup time of even a turn can be very costly. Much more balanced which is why I'm guessing Game Freak hasn't really thought to change it at all.

I can't draw myself, but I plan on taking classes sometime next year. It's something that takes a few years, but I believe anyone can draw if they put enough time and effort into it. Talent makes things faster, though.

This is a good mindset to have.
I try and draw a bit every day but my motivation goes to and fro leading to the occasional lack in progress, still it's getting better slowly but surely.

*is now a teary-eyed not-so-giant yellow armoured chubby dinosaur with axes for cheeks after watching the teary-eyed movie that is also known as Lucario and the Mystery of Mew*

Wichu

You should have seen how terrible I was when I first started drawing. I like to think I'm half-decent now. In other words, practice > natural talent ;)

Eh, that's cool. Always nice to see people get motivated to either draw, write or do whatever. The biggest thing is sitting down and actually doing it! I somewhat taught myself to draw years back but decided writing was more of my forte and decided to stop bothering with drawing altogether. I think about giving it a better shot but then that would cut into time I could use to becoming a better writer so...eh.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whoa, I just read about the latest episode of the anime.
Ash and Giovanni finally have a battle. Jeez, only took like 15 years and five regions.

Kokonoe

Banned
Actually, I'm curious, is the fact that the manga is about fusing with Pokemon the main reason people here dislike Reburst? I know it is for Exterminieren, but for me as I've already posted before, it's just the writing is bad.

Whoa, I just read about the latest episode of the anime.
Ash and Giovanni finally have a battle. Jeez, only took like 15 years and five regions.
Nice to see they're actually using him. He threatened to crush Ash and Pikachu to death unless Meloetta obeyed him, too, so they're giving a nice bit of edge to him as well.
Next week he commands the Kami trio in a battle against Garchomp, Dragonite, Golurk and Pikachu, so they're using him well.
Actually, I'm curious, is the fact that the manga is about fusing with Pokemon the main reason people here dislike Reburst? I know it is for Exterminieren, but for me as I've already posted before, it's just the writing is bad.
Well, in fairness, although I dislike the fusion angle, I could have enjoyed the series were the writing not crap. I have a high tolerance for well-written series with odd premises.

What happens when you have to help out another organizer on the same night for the same movie at a different showtime?

*is again a teary-eyed not-so-giant yellow armoured chubby dinosaur with axes for cheeks*

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The last time I used Stealth Rock seriously in game was fighting Red with a party about 18 levels lower than his. SR plus Hail was a ton of extra damage that I needed against some of his threats.

Kokonoe

Banned
To think about it, Charizard has never really been good in the games. I have a feeling someone is going to edit my post into saying "Charizard has never really been good" now.

Either way, the mixture of fire/flying really hurts when there's Stealth Rock on the field.

To think about it, Charizard has never really been good in the games. I have a feeling someone is going to edit my post into saying "Charizard has never really been good" now.

Either way, the mixture of fire/flying really hurts when there's Stealth Rock on the field.

I've always wondered what if resistances and weaknesses were not based on typing, but were instead manually set by the developers per Pokemon. Basically, typing only affects STAB. What if, then?

Kokonoe

Banned
Purchased HeartGold again since I lost it so long ago, and this game has the best menu system. It's easier to navigate and faster compared to the other DS Pokemon games.

I've always wondered what if resistances and weaknesses were not based on typing, but were instead manually set by the developers per Pokemon.

It'd make things more balanced, but it'd be more confusing overall and Pokemon is suppose to be really simple.

Gravijah

Purchased HeartGold again since I lost it so long ago, and this game has the best menu system. It's easier to navigate and faster compared to the other DS Pokemon games.

autorun & HGSS being the last game to have L=A are the important bits to me.

...oh and borders. borders!

Kokonoe

Banned
autorun & HGSS being the last game to have L=A are the important bits to me.

...oh and borders. borders!

So many borders, but for some reason they nailed my favorite as the default gold/black one. I remember on the original gold I use to use something dotted I think. I like Azalea Town in this. It sounds kinda reminiscent to the GBA Pokemon music like Ruby/Sapphire.

Top Bottom