• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Soul Beat

If you've never played either, how do you know which pair's better?

I have played both HG/SS and B/W though.

I mean, I like B/W. But HG/SS is still best in my opinion. Though that may chance with B/W2. We'll see.
You and I will get along just fine.

Gh3gr.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
Okay, BW2 it is. I was kind of leaning towards that anyways since it's new. I still feel bad about never finishing Gold though...maybe after BW2.

Yeah, there's always time to finish it later so no worries. For now it's just better to associate with the series, and the good side of playing Black and White 2 is you'll see more Pokemon.

Stage On

I never got around to finishing HG/SS myself.

I finished the main story in SS up to Red but it took me a long time afterwards until I got around to catching Mewtwo and Ho-oh.

My secret shame is I never bothered to catch the two roaming legendary beasts. Too much of a pain in the butt so I settled for the Shiny version Gamestop was giving out instead.

Kokonoe

Banned
With Diamond and Pearl and onward, they made the roaming ones more difficult than they were in the originals. At least it seems that way. Well, Latios wasn't that fun to find either. (threw masterball at first sight)

Stage On

Yeah, there's always time to finish it later so no worries. For now it's just better to associate with the series, and the good side of playing Black and White 2 is you'll see more Pokemon.

The only problem with going backwards is that you can't take Pokemon from newer gens back with you.

With Diamond and Pearl and onward, they made the roaming ones more difficult than they were in the originals. At least it seems that way.

Platinum at least gave you a map with their location on the bottom screen making them easy to track. And Black and White tells you on the billboards.
HG/SS is a pain since you have to pull up your phone then turn it off again afterwards.

Kokonoe

Banned
The only problem with going backwards is that you can't take Pokemon from newer gens back with you.

Not sure why Gamefreak did this, but to be honest I don't really see much of a point of it for me personally because you'll be wanting to play competitively against the version with the most Pokemon anyway.

Don't worry; they fixed that problem in BW2.

Well that's good, it's only until recently that I caught Cresselia in Diamond. To be honest, I kinda held back on trading or whichever cause I was going to go try to catch a Wobbuffet to catch the legendary dogs to make the catching experience "pure" without the need of others Pokemon. Although I lost HGSS a month after I got it so yeah, least I have it now, though.

I'll probably level up something like Haunter so I can catch them easily.

ffdgh

Smeargle with spore and false swipe + dusk, timer or quick balls make roamers less of an issue.....uaually.

Master balls are saved in the off chance I Encounter a explosion/roar/self destruct shiny.

MikeMyers

Meh. Used my Master Ball on Latios in Ruby, Entei in Leaf Green, & Thunderus in White. Didn't really like the Platinum legendaries so didn't capture them, didn't finish SS so never encountered them.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was caught off guard by Entei because I was just heading to the next area to get the next badge and suddenly a wild encounter with this intense music starts playing, and I instantly remember what this song was and saw it was Entei.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think these are the times I've used a Masterball.

Gen I Masterball on Snorlax (First playthrough in like 1998)
Gen II Not sure if I did or not, I think I saved it.
Gen III Latios as it took me forever to even find the thing and I didn't want to risk it.
Gen IV I used it on Mesprit I think.
Gen V First time I ever used it on the main legendary of the game, but I used it on Reshiram as I wasn't really into the game enough to go through all the trouble.

Didn't use any in HGSS, but I didn't catch anything besides Lugia/Ho-Oh. Caught Dialga with a Timeball, caught Groudon with a Dive Ball, caught Mewtwo with a Pokeball, caught Lugia with my trademark Heavy Ball.

Chasing the roaming legendaries is one of my favorite things. It's the running back and forth in a patch of grass for an hour for some 5% encounter I hate.

They censored the hell out of Pokemon Special for America...lol.

Oh and roaming legendaries can go to hell. Thankfully they're gone for now.

CorvoSol

Roaming legendaries are right up there with IVs as the worst thing to come along in the series.

The worst thing in the series is Event Pokemon. I only started cheating at Pokemon and video games in general because having to go to New York to get a Mew is BS even as an 11 year old.

Roaming legendaries are easy to catch. What's the matter with you guys? Any decent-level Pokemon with Mean Look and a few Pokeballs and you're done. I caught all the roaming legendaries that way. I 'member I used Misdreavus to catch Raikou, Entei and Suicune back in the original Silver. Gooood times.

Roaming legendaries are easy to catch. What's the matter with you guys? Any decent-level Pokemon with Mean Look and a few Pokeballs and you're done. I caught all the roaming legendaries that way. I 'member I used Misdreavus to catch Raikou, Entei and Suicune back in the original Silver. Gooood times.

And then they use Roar, and you're shit out of luck. Fuck roaming legendaries.

MikeMyers

Alright, did the Leaf Green E4 rematch:

LORELEI:
Dewgong - Venusaur
Cloyster - Jolteon
Piloswine - Venusaur
Jynx - Gyarados
Lapras - Jolteon

BRUNO:
Steelix - Gyarados
Hitmonchan - Gyarados
Hitmonlee - Gyarados
Steelix - Gyarados
Machamp - Gyarados

AGATHA:
Gengar - Dodrio
Crobat - Jolteon
Misdreavous - Venusaur
Arbok - Clefable
Gengar - Clefable

LANCE:
Gyarados - Jolteon
Dragonite - Clefable
Kingdra - Gyarados
Aerodactyl - Venusaur
Dragonite - Clefable

BLUE:
Heracross - Dodrio
Alakazam - Jolteon
Tyranitar - Venusaur
Exeggutor - Clefable
Gyarados - Jolteon
Charizard - Jolteon

In terms of kills:
Venuasur: 5
Clefable: 5
Gyarados: 7
Ninetails: 0
Jolteon: 7
Dodrio: 2

And then they use Roar, and you're shit out of luck. Fuck roaming legendaries.

They rarely did that when I battled 'em. I would encounter them, use Mean Look and then the battle would last 5 or 6 turns. That would be enough for me to lower their HP enough so that the next time I encountered them I could just concentrate on catching them. But whatevs.

Cresselia took me 45 Ultraballs and a few other specialty ones.

Ultra Balls are only good for a 2x catch rate increase. Use a Dusk Ball at night or in a cave for a 3.5x chance, a Quick Ball on the first turn for a 4x chance, or a Timer Ball after 30 turns for a 4x chance.

Ultra Balls are pretty bad for legendaries.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ultra Balls are only good for a 2x catch rate increase. Use a Dusk Ball at night or in a cave for a 3.5x chance, a Quick Ball on the first turn for a 4x chance, or a Timer Ball after 30 turns for a 4x chance.

Ultra Balls are pretty bad for legendaries.

I guess this explains why I tend to catch things easier with Dusk Balls sometimes. I'm kinda broke on Diamond for some reason, I didn't fight the Elite 4 a whole lot. I usually carry a few Timer Balls, but never seem to catch with them.

Now if only the first Rayquaza I caught was shiny it'd match the Ultra Ball I caught it with.

MikeMyers

Flareon
Nature: Lonely
252 Atk Evs

Superpower on Support Blissey: 568-670 (87.11 - 102.76%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
Fire Blast on Physical Defensive Skarmory: Fire Blast: 336-396 (100.59 - 118.56%) -- guaranteed OHKO

WALLBREAKER

Edit: Just for UltimateIke

Arcanine (UU Offensive Set):

Close Combat on Support Blissey: (100.92 - 118.86%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Falre Blitz on Physical Defensive Skarmory: (84.73 - 101.19%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

WALLBREAKER

Why, oh why is there no mail on Sundays? I just ordered B2 and W2 on Amazon and it says I won't get them till the 10th even with 1 day shipping. Those extra days are gonna be pure torture. I'll make sure to stay away from here.

ffdgh

Flareon
252 Atk Evs

Superpower on Support Blissey: 568-670 (87.11 - 102.76%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
Fire Blast on Physical Defensive Skarmory: Fire Blast: 336-396 (100.59 - 118.56%) -- guaranteed OHKO

WALLBREAKER

Hmm wouldn't naughty be a better choice?

Flareon
252 Atk Evs

WALLBREAKER

Edit: Just for UltimateIke

Arcanine (UU Offensive Set):

Close Combat on Support Blissey: (100.92 - 118.86%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Falre Blitz on Physical Defensive Skarmory: (84.73 - 101.19%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

WALLBREAKER
If the game were more like the anime, we could team up and be the baddest dudes ever with our Flareon/Arcanine combo. We could even find a Ninetales partner for Drought in Triple Battles.

MikeMyers

If the game were more like the anime, we could team up and be the baddest dudes ever with our Flareon/Arcanine combo. We could even find a Ninetales partner for Drought in Triple Battles.

With Drought weakening Water moves, and Intimidate weakening Earthquake/Stone Edge, that'd be a pretty cool trio.

Top Bottom