• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

harmonize

If the Gen VI starters have final evolutions on par with themselves, it'll be: I > VI > IV = II > V = III

Kanto: Squirtle
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Oshawott
Kalos: FUCKING BASED GOD FROAKIE BOW BITCHES

Zeroth

Gen 1: Charmander
Gen 2: Tododile
Gen 3: Torchic
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Oshawott
Gen 6: Not Chespin

It's pretty close with DaBoss'

bulbasaur.jpg

Bam

TrueBlue

Is it worth getting Black 2/White 2 at this point? Just played through the first and really enjoyed it, just don't wanna burn out before X/Y :/

Anura

Gen 1: charmander/balbasaur
Gen 2: totodile/chikarita
Gen 3: treecko/mudkip
Gen 4: piplup/chimchar
Gen 5: snivy
Gen 6: depends on fennekins and froakies evolutions

I always do multi playthroughs to get a feel for the starters and Like most grass starters Serperior tends to fall short later in the game compared to the other starters but unlike other gens he is the only design that is anywhere near decent...

Anyways does anyone still mash buttons or a certain input when throwing pokeballs? Like the infamous down + B?

For me it depends how much attention I am paying to the game

Gen 1 - Charmander
Gen 2 - Cyndaquil
Gen 3 - Torchic
Gen 4 - Chimchar
Gen 5 - Tepig
Gen 6 - Fennekin

Definitely don't have a type preference when it comes to starters...

Also, am I the only one who does at least 3 playthroughs so I have one with every starter?

Wilbur

Banned
Starters is difficult because... eh. I'll do one for each stage

STAGE ONE
Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Tepig

STAGE TWO
Kanto: Charmeleon
Johto: Quilava
Hoenn: Combusken
Sinnoh: Monferno
Unova: Dewott

STAGE THREE
Kanto: Charizard
Johto: Feraligatr
Hoenn: Swampert
Sinnoh: Empoleon
Unova: Samurott

So Fires are better early on but Waters generally have the better final evos. Froakie is my fave Karos tho.

In terms of gen:

STAGE ONE
1 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2

STAGE TWO
4 > 3 > 1 > 5 > 2

STAGE THREE

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5

Wait, you guys get 3 copies of the same game?
Or are you talking about the 2 initial versions and then the 3rd?

Until Black 2 and White 2 I'd just borrow my brother's game and trade my Pokemon onto his copy so I could start again on my game but now I've got all 649 I can't really do that so I just borrow his game once he's done and play through on that, he isn't into Pokemon as much as me really.

Until Black 2 and White 2 I'd just borrow my brother's game and trade my Pokemon onto his copy so I could start again on my game but now I've got all 649 I can't really do that so I just borrow his game once he's done and play through on that, he isn't into Pokemon as much as me really.
I've recently embarked on this quest. How long did it take you? Discounting the event pokemon. Any tips?

I've recently embarked on this quest. How long did it take you? Discounting the event pokemon. Any tips?

I can't be much help to you I'm afraid as this has been a cumulative collection. I originally started on Fire Red, and had about 280 on there and then I traded them all over to Diamond where I got up to about 400. When I got to Gen V I only traded around 150 of them over though so from there it probably took me about a year to get 649 but this wasn't a full time thing, I'd take breaks for months on end etc. The main bits of advice I would give you is not to do what I do and leave all the Egg hatching until the end because that is a massive pain in the arse and really drags when you are so close to completion.

I can't be much help to you I'm afraid as this has been a cumulative collection. I originally started on Fire Red, and had about 280 on there and then I traded them all over to Diamond where I got up to about 400. When I got to Gen V I only traded around 150 of them over though so from there it probably took me about a year to get 649 but this wasn't a full time thing, I'd take breaks for months on end etc. The main bits of advice I would give you is not to do what I do and leave all the Egg hatching until the end because that is a massive pain in the arse and really drags when you are so close to completion.
I'm trying to carry eggs in both my Soul Silver and Black 2 games, but I can't remember what pokemon ability speeds up hatching. I guess I should google it.

Caladrius

I'm trying to carry eggs in both my Soul Silver and Black 2 games, but I can't remember what pokemon ability speeds up hatching. I guess I should google it.

Flame body is one of them. slugma and magcargo have it. I think flash fire might be the other.

I collected all 386 pokemon at the time in Emerald, which took about a year and a half. I lost the file to a botched cloning attempt and started over with DP. Getting all 493 afterward took about 250 hours of gametime. for gen V It took me about 50 Hours to get all the Unova pokemon. Those times include however long it took to finish the main game.

Whenever possible hunt at night. Dusk balls have the best overall catch rate then.

Get a strong pokemon with false swipe, mean look and a reliable sleep inducing condition like spore. A high level Smeargle is Ideal for this. Sketch copies teammates' attacks too, IIRC so you don't have to set up a link battle or fight a specific trainer to get the necessary moves.

Save any and all master balls you find for the roamers. As infuriating as the stationary legends can be, that's nothing compared to the trouble you have to get through for roamers.

If a pokemon seems like a pain to get, look up all the methods to find it, there's often an easy way to do it.

At the very least you're probably going to need all the Gen IV and a matching pair of V games to catch all of them.

Oh yeah, I have 350 hours on my Black 2 which is where I did all my evolving and hatching, that's probably inflated quite a lot by me being a very slow player (I'm usually on 50 hours when I beat the E4) and time spent AFC though.

Poor Meganium, the only final evolution of a starter that doesn't look that it would be a menace or a terror. It's more like a cuddly puppy.

Oh yeah, I have 350 hours on my Black 2 which is where I did all my evolving and hatching, that's probably inflated quite a lot by me being a very slow player (I'm usually on 50 hours when I beat the E4) and time spent AFC though.

I beat the elite 4 around the 50 hour mark as well. The back loading of the story was so boring.

Flame body is one of them. slugma and magcargo have it. I think flash fire might be the other.

I collected all 386 pokemon at the time in Emerald, which took about a year and a half. I lost the file to a botched cloning attempt and started over with DP. Getting all 493 afterward took about 250 hours of gametime. for gen V It took me about 50 Hours to get all the Unova pokemon. Those times include however long it took to finish the main game.

Whenever possible hunt at night. Dusk balls have the best overall catch rate then.

Get a strong pokemon with false swipe, mean look and a reliable sleep inducing condition like spore. A high level Smeargle is Ideal for this. Sketch copies teammates' attacks too, IIRC so you don't have to set up a link battle or fight a specific trainer to get the necessary moves.

Save any and all master balls you find for the roamers. As infuriating as the stationary legends can be, that's nothing compared to the trouble you have to get through for roamers.

If a pokemon seems like a pain to get, look up all the methods to find it, there's often an easy way to do it.

At the very least you're probably going to need all the Gen IV and a matching pair of V games to catch all of them.

I don't want hacked pokemon, so ill be doing as much catching on my own as I can. I will probably try and find a breeder or do trades for what I can not catch in the two games I have.

Flame Body or Magma Armor. Volcarona, Magcargo and Magmar.

Thank you.

Toxi

Banned
I see no love for Ivysaur, and it confuses me. Charmeleon is Charmander with a horn and Wartortle looks weird. Ivysaur just looks really natural and its flower really differentiates it from Bulbasaur.

Also, fuck the haters, Meganium is boss because it's a dinosaur.

There are plenty of great grass types. Breloom and Ferrothorn for example.

Touche but as a whole the grass typing suffers from some bad weaknesses and is often coupled with secondary typings that didn't benefit it. Though I really loved that Grass/Water typing quite a bit.

qq more

I see no love for Ivysaur, and it confuses me. Charmeleon is Charmander with a horn and Wartortle looks weird. Ivysaur just looks really natural and its flower really differentiates it from Bulbasaur.

Also, fuck the haters, Meganium is boss because it's a dinosaur.

Wait, it's actually a dinosaur?

In terms of favorite starters, I'm admittedly biased for all Fire.

However, when I first got Red, I will say that for Charmander, I didn't really like its 1st evo [Charmeleon] for some unknown reason, but I did love Charizard.

Squirtle
Totodile
Mudkip
Chimchar
Smugleaf

Those are my favorites. I will be skipping X/Y entirely, but if I had to choose it'd be either Fox or Slippy.

Top Bottom