• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Firestorm

But I think Pokemon is about acquiring the tools. What's the franchise tagline? Gotta catch 'em all, right? Pokemon isnt just about battling because then you'd just be able to select pokemon from a character select screen. That takes away from what makes the franchise what it is. It's not Showdown, and I don't want it to be. I have no connection with my digital creatures in Showdown because I just selected stats and moves and didnt really have to put in any effort. When I win with my BW2 pokemon, I know that there's hundreds of hours behind those wins. EV training, egg hatching, and practice battling. When it comes together, that's what makes Pokemon what it is. At least that's how I see it. If I'm wrong, I don't want to be right.
You're very wrong. It has been a decade since "Gotta Catch 'em All" was removed as the franchise tagline. Training a Pokemon isn't about grinding. It's about building them a certain way. My Slowking was actually bred and even levelled / EVed by my friend. Love the guy. Been using him for 2 years. I know a lot of people who are particularly fond of certain Pokemon they've used and none of it has to do with the breeding process or EVing process. The memories they have are of the battles they've had with it.

I think it's hard to judge this unless you've had both simulator and live tournament practice.

"Nice" is 31/31/x/x/x/31 and either Adamant/Jolly, or bust.

Well, I can aim for 30/31/x/x/x/31 if you guys want by using this as the daddy:

That'd probably be a lot easier, too, since I'd get eggs over twice as quickly.

Adamant is a given, though, since I'm breeding in Black 2.

EDIT: WHAT AM I ON THAT'S A FEMALE
EDIT2: I'll be aiming for 31/31/25+/X/20+/31 on the final T-tar, of course.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You're very wrong. It has been a decade since "Gotta Catch 'em All" was removed as the franchise tagline. Training a Pokemon isn't about grinding. It's about building them a certain way. My Slowking was actually bred and even levelled / EVed by my friend. Love the guy. Been using him for 2 years. I know a lot of people who are particularly fond of certain Pokemon they've used and none of it has to do with the breeding process or EVing process. The memories they have are of the battles they've had with it.

I think it's hard to judge this unless you've had both simulator and live tournament practice.

By the way, Firestorm, I've been meaning to ask your opinion for a while now on what's going with the tiering process for 6th gen OU. Is there any actual battle plan, and do you approve of it? I haven't really been keeping up.

Quest1

That's fair and I can definitely see it that way, but not a lot of us have had live tournament experience. Actually, a majority of people who play Pokemon don't have live tournament experience outside of the online sanctioned ones.

But thinking about what you're saying, yeah you're definitely right. Even without live tournament experience, the fondness I have for my team isn't because of EV'ing or hatching. It was the fact that I built mine through years and years of trial and error and fine tuning aspects of my team so that it can actually compete (if not very well) with other more tried and tested teams through each generation. Each one hatched or caught and EV'd and leveled and taught the right moves. I put in some time, so they mean something to me. It's not totally about the battles to me, but when I do win on the online, against friends, or randomly against others, it does feel good to know that it's because I worked hard to put a team together that makes sense. But I do still have the Arcanine, Salamence, and Rayquaza I hard leveled to 100 from Ruby. Those have sentimental value to me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I can aim for 30/31/x/x/x/31 if you guys want by using this as the daddy:

That'd probably be a lot easier, too, since I'd get eggs over twice as quickly.

Adamant is a given, though, since I'm breeding in Black 2.

EDIT: WHAT AM I ON THAT'S A FEMALE
EDIT2: I'll be aiming for 31/31/25+/X/20+/31 on the final T-tar, of course.

If you can get that and Adamant onto your Tyranitar in under 10 hours, I'll be impressed.

Soodanim

I don't understand why wavedashing and 1-frame links are being compared to IVs. Wavedashing is a skill, learned and practised before being used in a competitive environment. IVs are a random stat.

Like I said before, I think there are plenty of reasonable random and non-random elements involved in putting together a decent team. Natures, genders and abilities are all breedable and still require some luck to get, but it's not half as time consuming and secretive as IVs are. Ditch the IV system. I don't even think it needs replacing. Hidden Power could easily be changed to be based on something else, if not controllable entirely. Just give it a fixed power, perhaps quite low to account for the ability to change it. Done.

edit: didn't realise JoeM was Mr serebii.net. Cool. Love the site. You're still wrong though mate :)

Firestorm

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/370147786500472832

Dear Joe: When you post on NeoGAF, you back up your posts. If you just want your ego stroked, that's what your own forums are for.

By the way, Firestorm, I've been meaning to ask your opinion for a while now on what's going with the tiering process for 6th gen OU. Is there any actual battle plan, and do you approve of it? I haven't really been keeping up.
Smogon went off the deep end by Generation 5 and I stopped paying attention to Smogon rulesets quite some time ago. I think I was a Super Mod there when Blaziken was banned and I didn't even know :p Thought people were joking when I heard about it and then a few months later found out it actually happened. I think people are still arguing about how to do it.

I'm just going to do what I've done since 2010. Play what TPCi and Game Freak set out. Their Video Game Tournament Planner has extensive tournament experience having run Smash Bros. tournaments for quite some time, working for MLG, and currently owning SmashBoards. He's very receptive to fan feedback. Game Freak themselves have been making steps to improve the competitive game with each release of the game and keep an eye on the metagame. Doubles is also a far more entertaining format than Singles. I hope people tuned in for the World Championships livestream and got some insight into the choices that go into every turn!

Looking forward to the next season even if the X & Y events won't be starting until January (unless we get Battle Roads or City Championships on top of Regionals but I doubt that's going to happen).

Toxi

Banned
I know, but they are barriers to entry, and technically catching for the right nature is "busy-work," it's just easier busy work than IVs.

But we are in complete agreement, as far as the mechanic of IVs go. I don't like them and I do wish there was a better system in place to provide genetic variation without affecting competition. And I mentioned before that if EV's training was more difficult, not having IV's would be okay, as long as there's someway to produce genetic variation through another mechanic that doesnt affect stats.
I guess the difference between IVs and Natures is that Natures do add some different strategies for some pokemon, so while they can feel like busy work, you aren't just ticking in a box. I feel the same way about EVs (Which go by so fast now that I never feel like they're busy-work).

@Toxi: For this I'm aiming for 31 IVs in Attack and Speed, two defensive stats over 25, and the last defensive stat still being over 20. Not perfect but from my experience it's more than good enough.
Got it. Good luck getting that. :)

Smogon went off the deep end by Generation 5 and I stopped paying attention to Smogon rulesets quite some time ago. I think I was a Super Mod there when Blaziken was banned and I didn't even know :p Thought people were joking when I heard about it and then a few months later found out it actually happened. I think people are still arguing about how to do it.
Smogon really did go bananas, but I think it's only because Gamefreak went bananas. Things like the awkward Drizzle+Swift Swim ban were in place just because everything was so broken that simply banning Politoed would leave the other weather conditions broken.

UU looks more and more appealing just because all the stupid shit is in OU; it's like OU is the new ubers.

Quest1

Dear Joe: When you post on NeoGAF, you back up your posts. If you just want your ego stroked, that's what your own forums are for.

I'm just going to do what I've done since 2010. Play what TPCi and Game Freak set out. Their Video Game Tournament Planner has extensive tournament experience having run Smash Bros. tournaments for quite some time, working for MLG, and currently owning SmashBoards. He's very receptive to fan feedback. Game Freak themselves have been making steps to improve the competitive game with each release of the game and keep an eye on the metagame. Doubles is also a far more entertaining format than Singles. I hope people tuned in for the World Championships livestream and got some insight into the choices that go into every turn!

Looking forward to the next season even if the X & Y events won't be starting until January (unless we get Battle Roads or City Championships on top of Regionals but I doubt that's going to happen).

That's what Twitter is for too though, haha. But much love to Joe, the man works very hard and does know his stuff. Doesn't mean we can't all disagree from time to time though.

And firestorm, I wish I went to more live events btw, just never had the luck to be in the right regions or the funds to travel. Hell, I only went to Evo the last two years purely because of luck.

I think doubles is great and has much more depth than singles, but I'm (and my team is) terrible at it, especially compared to singles 6v6. Do you think VGC will ever adopt the singles format along with doubles?

@Toxi: I would've been done in two eggs if the HP and Sp. Atk IVs the game generated were switched. ><;
If you can get that and Adamant onto your Tyranitar in under 10 hours, I'll be impressed.

Well, if I wanted to just get the T-Tar as quick as possible then I'd breed the X/31/X/X/X/31 Adamant female Axew I got an hour ago with this:

From past experience I can say that it wouldn't take me too long to get the 31/31/X/X/X/31 male. A few hours if I have extremely bad luck, I guess (Usually <1 hour though)? The female Larvitar I have has 31/X/X/X/X/31 so from there I'd just have to cross my fingers. Thanks to Black/White 2's everstone buff pretty much guaranteeing the Adamant and not having to worry about ability it's just a matter of IVs once I get to that point so it shouldn't be too bad. Just depends on how much the game hates me.

I will say that the only reason I breed is because I enjoy it. I do know how to RNG on Black and have done it before and have no issues with it, but I find breeding extremely fun ('cuz I'm weird) so that's what I usually do.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough. I consider trying to get back in every now and again, but I can't take how fast-paced BW2 is; you don't developed a strategy so much as just blitzkrieg everything as quickly as possible. I've dabbled in doubles but ultimately I'm a singles man, doubles just does nothing for me. I watched the World Championships livestream, though, appreciate the skill that went in immensely but not my cup of tea. That leaves me a little reliant on a) the playstyle of each generation, and b) Smogon's tiering given Smogon is nominally in charge of singles as GameFreak doesn't seem to recognise it so much. Right now, both a) and b) aren't really in a good position.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
@Toxi: I would've been done in two eggs if the HP and Sp. Atk IVs the game generated were switched. ><;

Well, if I wanted to just get the T-Tar as quick as possible then I'd breed the X/31/X/X/X/31 Adamant female Axew I got an hour ago with this:

From past experience I can say that it wouldn't take me too long to get the 31/31/X/X/X/31 male. A few hours if I have extremely bad luck, I guess? The female Larvitar I have has 31/X/X/X/X/31 so from there I'd just have to cross my fingers. Thanks to Black/White 2's everstone buff pretty much guaranteeing the Adamant and not having to worry about ability it's just a matter of IVs once I get to that point so it shouldn't be too bad. Just depends on how much the game hates me.

I will say that the only reason I breed is because I enjoy it. I do know how to RNG on Black and have done it before and have no issues with it, but I find breeding extremely fun ('cuz I'm weird) so that's what I usually do.

Ah, that's quite nice, you have a decent stock of well IV'd breeding Pokemon. I always start with my Dittos and proceed from there, so it takes me many more generations to reach the final result. I know I should keep more breeding stock, but trying to diversify into all the different egg groups would be such a big all-in-one effort even if it'd perhaps be less effort in the long run.

Firestorm, I love you.
Ah, that's quite nice, you have a decent stock of well IV'd breeding Pokemon. I always start with my Dittos and proceed from there, so it takes me many more generations to reach the final result. I know I should keep more breeding stock, but trying to diversify into all the different egg groups would be such a big all-in-one effort even if it'd perhaps be less effort in the long run.
You can use the GTS to get good breeding stock, actually. What you do is put up level 1 female babies of competitive Pokemon (preferably with a couple 31s) and ask for "level 9 or under" babies of competitive Pokemon. The majority of the time a competitive Japanese player will give you one of their leftovers. Renaming your Pokemon to "X 31IVs" also helps, and you even even add in "DW" if it has a hidden ability. Putting it up at night is also recommended.

EDIT: I suppose it's good for most of you to know that to help you breed decent mons in X/Y.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Smogon really did go bananas, but I think it's only because Gamefreak went bananas. Things like the awkward Drizzle+Swift Swim ban were in place just because everything was so broken that simply banning Politoed would leave the other weather conditions broken.

UU looks more and more appealing just because all the stupid shit is in OU; it's like OU is the new ubers.

Personally, I actually think the problem with Smogon at the moment is the arbitrary nature of the Uber tier that Pokemon are automatically slotted into. I think if you unbanned absolutely everything, you'd end up with a true Ubers tier of Kyogre, Groudon, Arceus and maybe Mewtwo of Pokemon that are just flat out ridiculous, and then beneath it an OU that'd be fairly balanced, consisting of most of the current Ubers and then the top of current OU. Weather would instantly become much more balanced because maintaining a Politoed/Ninetales in the land of Deoxys and co. is hard as fuck. You'd then end up with a UU that looked much like the current OU, but with the really awful stuff removed, but removed for a non-arbitrary reason (i.e., they're being used enough to make into OU). This is total theorymon, but I think you'd end up with something like:

Ban List 1
Mewtwo
Kyogre
Groudon
Arceus

Tier List 1
Genesect
Palkia
Dialga
Rayquaza
Darkrai
Ho-oh
Ferrothorn
Lugia
Forretress
Deoxys-Speed
Deoxys-Attack
Giratina
Excadrill
Latias
Kyurem-White
Kabutops
Zekrom
Blaziken
Shaymin-Sky
Latios
Terrakion
Tyranitar
Espeon
Thundurus
Manaphy
Tornadus-T

Ban List 2
Ninetales?

Tier List 2
Scizor
Jirachi
Keldeo
Heatran
Dragonite
Garchomp
Rotom-Wash
Landorus-T
Breloom
Starmie
Celebi
Skarmory
Mamoswine
Jellicent
Alakazam
Volcarona
Thundurus-T
Salamence
Gliscor
Kyurem-B
Magnezone
Donphan
etc.

That seems like a fairly reasonable state of affairs to me.

Firestorm

Game Freak has three things that they noticeably balance:
  1. Single Player Progression
  2. Doubles (Pick 4 from 6) - Used for tournament play
  3. Singles (Pick 3 from 6) - Popular for laddering
The weather scenario you talk about isn't broken in any of these. For example, in tournaments over the past two years, Politoed + Kingdra were quite popular. Over time, the shift in the metagame was more towards sand and Tyranitar and Excadrill became more popular. By the World Championships, Politoed was barely seen and though Tyranitar was very common, it was mostly because Tyranitar is ridiculous rather than to take advantage of sand with other Pokemon. Abomasnow usage was pretty static I think and Ninetales is a joke unfortunately.

I like the direction that Game Freak is headed in overall. Fairy is something I know the community is apprehensive about because a boost to Steel is the last thing we really need, but who know how it'll work out!
And firestorm, I wish I went to more live events btw, just never had the luck to be in the right regions or the funds to travel. Hell, I only went to Evo the last two years purely because of luck.

I think doubles is great and has much more depth than singles, but I'm (and my team is) terrible at it, especially compared to singles 6v6. Do you think VGC will ever adopt the singles format along with doubles?
Yeah, but you seem to understand a bit of what I'm saying regardless! I would love to go to Evo but this year they had it the weekend immediately following the Pokemon National Championships in North America =( The summer is usually fairly busy for me due to Pokemon Nationals + Pokemon Worlds + PAX so I don't know if I'll ever get the chance x.x More stuff needs to happen in the winter.

As far as changing formats go, no. Even if they did, it would be 3v3 rather than 6v6. I think it would just be significantly less interesting to watch and they're now pushing for livestreams. 30,000 people tuned into watch Pokemon the same weekend that both large events for both Starcraft and DotA were on. I think that's a tremendous start for competitive Pokemon. I know they tried out a 3v3 Singles side tournament at Nationals for a 3DS but it didn't seem to get a lot of attention as a lot of people were still focused on the main event.

You'll need a new team for doubles. I usually recommend people do some reading and then grabbing an established team to test out before building their own.

Refyref

That explains why there was an official stream and all this year.
By the way, your site did a good job on covering it. (And technically, narrating the official stream as well. :p)

Toxi

Banned
Toxi, I'm sorry. :(

:*(

Game Freak has three things that they noticeably balance:
  1. Single Player Progression
  2. Doubles (Pick 4 from 6) - Used for tournament play
  3. Singles (Pick 3 from 6) - Popular for laddering
The weather scenario you talk about isn't broken in any of these. For example, in tournaments over the past two years, Politoed + Kingdra were quite popular. Over time, the shift in the metagame was more towards sand and Tyranitar and Excadrill became more popular. By the World Championships, Politoed was barely seen and though Tyranitar was very common, it was mostly because Tyranitar is ridiculous rather than to take advantage of sand with other Pokemon. Abomasnow usage was pretty static I think and Ninetales is a joke unfortunately.

I like the direction that Game Freak is headed in overall. Fairy is something I know the community is apprehensive about because a boost to Steel is the last thing we really need, but who know how it'll work out!Yeah, but you seem to understand a bit of what I'm saying regardless! I would love to go to Evo but this year they had it the weekend immediately following the Pokemon National Championships in North America =( The summer is usually fairly busy for me due to Pokemon Nationals + Pokemon Worlds + PAX so I don't know if I'll ever get the chance x.x More stuff needs to happen in the winter.
Yeah, I can understand how things might be more balanced in a 3 v 3 singles. The issue with weather in 6v6 is that it's easier to have a balanced team while still having weather powerhouses like Venusaur or Keldeo. With 3 v 3, more of your team is dedicated to a weather user, so a weather creator like Tyranitar that is already strong on its own seems much more useful than one like Ninetales.

I just play online and shoddy, though, and I'll admit I have no clue what is happening half the time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It has always seemed odd to me that actual Pokemon games revolve around 6.vs.6 singles, and yet that's totally unsupported in a competitive arena by GameFreak, and yet the format they do prioritize, 4.vs4. picked from 6 doubles barely appears during the games.

Firestorm

That explains why there was an official stream and all this year.
By the way, your site did a good job on covering it. (And technically, narrating the official stream as well. :p)
Thank you! Half the pictures I see of me (or glimpses I see of me on the livestream) are on my phone or laptop. Got some ideas on how to be a bit more efficient next year =P Scott and Evan did a wonderful job with commentary and I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. There's a feedback thread on both Nugget Bridge and PokeGym if you have comments you want to give TPCi.

By the way, what exactly did the Gamescom demo for Pokémon X & Y actually feature?
There's some videos up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2SX7o6yD0

Can't wait til PAX so I can try it myself!
It has always seemed odd to me that actual Pokemon games revolve around 6.vs.6 singles, and yet that's totally unsupported in a competitive arena by GameFreak, and yet the format they do prioritize, 4.vs4. picked from 6 doubles barely appears during the games.
Agreed. I think they just want to keep single player as simple as possible. Keep in mind that barely any trainer in the game actually has six Pokemon though. Ever since the first Stadium game, they've pushed Pick 3 from 6 (and then 4 from 6 for Doubles). Battle Tower / Frontier / Subway / etc also do the same. I'd love it if the single player campaign mirrored their competitive modes a bit more but I guess that's a ways off.

Especially if we could get some co-op in there! A game filled with multi-battles? yes plz

JoeM86

I did back up my posts, thank you very much. Just because you disagree with them, does not mean I didn't back them up nor does it mean that, as you stated, I don't know anything about the games.

I fail to see how any of my posts here within the last 24 hours were an attempt to have my ego stroked. It seems to me that you're just switching to personal attacks and that isn't nice.

Best town in Pokemon? I think my favorite towns are a tie between Jubilife City and Olivine. Olivine for being a really beautiful location in general for being a nice coastal town and a sweet looking lighthouse. Okay so it's probably Olivine but Jubilife is pretty spiffy looking and I just really like the name of it.

Anura

Best town in Pokemon? I think my favorite towns are a tie between Jubilife City and Olivine. Olivine for being a really beautiful location in general for being a nice coastal town and a sweet looking lighthouse. Okay so it's probably Olivine but Jubilife is pretty spiffy looking and I just really like the name of it.

I really liked fortee on paper but not in the actual game
Slateport's theme music has that really great and really upbeat opening rift and so did sunny shore

Dang this is harder than I thought it would be...

Firestorm

I think that the deck that won Worlds would cost <$100 to build! Unfortunately the one I linked to would be super cheap aside from the 2 Tropical Beach which pushes it over $200 :(

Quest1

Which pokemon from each generation (outside of starters) would you most like to see get a Mega and what would you want the mega-lution to improve from a in-game standpoint and a design standpoint?

Generation 1: Arcanine (obviously): overall boost in every base stat but not too huge, and a similar design upgrade to Lucario and Blaziken. More angular mane maybe little flames and such coming out from his legs. sharper eyes.

Generation 2: Heracross: Make him faster, and make his design reflect an increase in speed. Less oval shaped maybe? different color? i dunno. Sleeker in general.

Generation 3: Milotic: Maybe a ridiculous HP boost or Drizzle for its ability. Fairy secondary typing. Longer ribbon things and a color shift. In reality, I would want Metagross or Salamence to get the boost, but they're already pretty strong as is, so I went with Milotic.

Generation 4: Electivire: Give him moxie and an increase in speed and watch him work. Embellish his design like Lucario or give his arms long electric whips like like those on his back like Whiplash from Iron Man. (Gen 4 has a lot I'd want actually. Gliscor and Luxray come to mind first).

Gen 5: Carracosta: Give him a stat re-roll like he just did Shell Smash after he megaevolves and let him keep whatever ability he's running with (sturdy). Design wise, lets just make it look like he lost pieces of his shell to be faster.

Edit: Favorite town would be a toss-up between Sunyshore and Cerulean. Sunyshore looks the most interesting and Cerulean based off of nostalgia and Mewtwo.

Toxi

Banned
It's kinda lame how the event Pokes are level 100; don't just hand people a Pokemon that can beat all the non-competitive post-game, Gamefreak.

Caladrius

Am I the only person that feels that Qwilfish should get a mega-evo? A water-poison Pokemon with swift-swim seems like it could have potential.

Toxi

Banned
Wait so how can I get the Dialga?

I have Black and HeartGold
If you have the national dex in Black, you can get it. Go into a Gamestop store (If you live in the United States, it's a different game store in other countries) and use the Mystery Gift option at the main menu.

Or just do it from the parking lot if you hate being pestered by Gamestop employees.

qq more

It's hard to say... Goldenrod City is definitely up there for me.

Even if he is, he looks so cool that I'll use him anyways. Tyranitar was slow as molasses but that didn't stop him from wrecking everything around him...I've learned to like the slowpokes if they can pack a punch.

PK Gaming

Yeah I plan on using it too, but if it's an offensive Pokemon that's slow, that isn't a good sign. It's typing and abilities aren't doing it any favors either. You generally don't see slow offensive Pokemon ever being good in this game (look at Emboar, it's bad because of its abysmal speed) with a few exception (most if not all of which are durable)

Tyranitar is good because it has an amazing ability, and a free Special Defense boost in its pocket. Take away Sandstream and it's total garbage. I don't know how works in doubles, but imagine it's the same thing.

Firestorm

Is there an exact list or do we have to wait for TPCi to release those special decks?
God I hate Facebook's search for groups. I wish someone would make a non-shitty TCG forum and people would move off of HeyFonte. Jason posted his list up here:

1157699_10153118858060125_1690089190_n.jpg

It's on that other site I linked to earlier but if you want 2nd place:

And 3rd Place:

1002354_10152094741701102_1390775138_n.jpg

And 4th Place:

After the crazy Flareon deck lost I was rooting hard for a Darkrai Garbodor. Sad that Dustin lost in Top 4 :(

Daingurse

Was just watching some hands on, offscreen X&Y footage from Gamescom. Game looks great, can't wait to get my hands on it. Game looked nice running on the XL, should look even better on my OG. Dat pixel density.
Bitter launch 3DS Owner who just caved in and bought a handgrip.

Top Bottom