• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sadly it seems like only Mewtwo got it, since Crobat and Dragonite has the same cries.

...unless, Mega?

Boss Doggie

I guess the bgm is making it sound weird? I tried comparing on the old cry, seems it's a bit similar.

I guess it's cleaner tho.

I think Noivern meant the mainline pokemon games, and I would agree :p.
So the German name for Fennekin is Fynx? Is there a chance Fennekin might evolve into a Psychic Sphinx?

That's an interesting idea! That would certainly make sense as a defensive pokemon, plus fennec foxes are desert creatures.

Salvadora

I'd be surprised if they remade RSE, because (bar a rather unexpected surprise), the original RSE are still compatible with XY, and you can shift Pokemon from RSE forward to XY. RG and GC were remade because that wasn't possible, thanks to the Gen 2-Gen 3 divide.
Me too.

Unfortunately Money overrules any of that. I just really don't want a remake of R/S/E.

Although I suppose they might put some effort in to improve those games ( music, remove the water etc).

I don't think there's a vid like this, but here's the demo with direct feed audio. Holy shit the music is so awesome!

Dem EWQLSO soundfonts. I wasn't expecting the music to get so samey in terms of instrumentation once they got to better hardware.

EDIT: The fuck? They're using Best Service Accordions, too?

So the German name for Fennekin is Fynx? Is there a chance Fennekin might evolve into a Psychic Sphinx?

I think that might be closer to Lynx than Sphinx.

Toxi

Banned
I wish Giga Impact looked half as cool as Hyper Beam.

Unfortunately Money overrules any of that. I just really don't want a remake of R/S/E.

Although I suppose they might put some effort in to improve those games ( music, remove the water etc).
No, fuck that, the trumpets are brilliant.
maxresdefault.jpg

Zeroth

Me too.

You may not like the trumpets, but RSE easily has some of the best tracks in the series.

I'd be surprised if they remade RSE, because (bar a rather unexpected surprise), the original RSE are still compatible with XY, and you can shift Pokemon from RSE forward to XY. RG and GC were remade because that wasn't possible, thanks to the Gen 2-Gen 3 divide.

I'm inclined to believe availability played a big part on that too, and as of now, playing RSE is pretty hard if you don't use ROMs or bootlegs.

Salvadora

I never really felt it to be honest. In terms of music for me it goes:

1. R/B/Y
  2. G/S/C
  3. D/P/P
  4. B/W
  5. R/S/E

The first three are very close together, but the last two are much further down.

Toxi

Banned
This. I can't remember a single tune from DPt...
I remember Arceus's theme (Which wasn't even in the actual game), the Team Galactic theme, Cynthia's theme, and... Yeah, we're done here.

Black and White had a lot of memorable music, especially the town music; Driftveil and Nimbasa are some of my faves.

Salvadora

RBY had some memorable tunes, but I certainly wouldn't put GSC that high. Maybe Heart Gold and Soul Silver, but vanilla GSC has a really bland soundtrack. RSE has a lot more character.
It has some of my absolute favourite tunes in the series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9pnGS7XF-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAOGtJLMHlc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNAktk9ei8&list=PLCF52D57DCDAF3F94&index=45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6-sqMQJ9s&list=PLCF52D57DCDAF3F94&index=60

It lost a small step in the translation to DS I thought.

Boss Doggie

BW has a dynamic music, what with instruments suddenly playing/stopping when you move/stop, running against terrain, Victory Road progress, etc. Also love the calm melodies it has on certain towns as well as the upbeat battles.

The only music I liked in DPPt were Cynthia, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, and Team Galactic. What did Arceus sound like?

Caladrius

BW has a dynamic music, what with instruments suddenly playing/stopping when you move/stop, running against terrain, Victory Road progress, etc. Also love the calm melodies it has on certain towns as well as the upbeat battles.

The only music I liked in DPPt were Cynthia, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, and Team Galactic. What did Arceus sound like?

They use a very sparse, ominous drum track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6z_1cCvVjA

Dem EWQLSO soundfonts. I wasn't expecting the music to get so samey in terms of instrumentation once they got to better hardware.

EDIT: The fuck? They're using Best Service Accordions, too?
Not sure of the instrumentation or whatnot, but here's an interview where they go over their music setup from BW:

Steinberg | Game Freak and the production of Pokémon

---

I think that DP has good songs here and there - I made a post about the music many moons ago, but I'm too lazy to pull it up right now.

Anura

Not sure of the instrumentation or whatnot, but here's an interview where they go over their music setup from BW:

Steinberg | Game Freak and the production of Pokémon

---

I think that DP has good songs here and there - I made a post about the music many moons ago, but I'm too lazy to pull it up right now.

Honestly I think DP has some of the best tracks of the series

When it comes to music 4/1>3>2>5 (excluding the kanto songs in gen 2) IMO anyways

This actually isn't confirmed. We don't know whether we can transfer Pokemon over from previous gens yet.
I'm kind of hoping we can't...

Boss Doggie

Very minor, but yay at sex differences between Pokemon still being there (heart-notched tail for female Pikachu is present)

1377287802664bbssy.png

fates

For me the apex of Pokemon music was GSC/HGSS. So many of the themes were incredibly memorable and the Kanto music really was something for those who played RBY (I still feel like HGSS Vermillion City is pure nostalgia in musical form) in addition to being pretty good remixes too.

But there hasn't been a generation where I thought the music was anything less than good. I expect 6 to continue that trend.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe because I have a deep love for chip tune, but I'll always hold that GSC had the best music. HG/SS's remixes were good, but never really did the originals full justice. They "softened" them a little. BW2 is probably the best from the post-chiptune era. Some great tracks there. DPPt is just baaad, although Stark Mountain deserves a shout out.

Caladrius

Oh that was used in the Sinjoh Ruins when Arceus made a baby GenIV legendary right?

Yes.

I actually liked Gen V's soundtrack the best. The Tao dragon's music in particular was refreshing compared to the previous overwrought attempts to make your future slaves seem intimidating.

Toxi

Banned
Admittedly, after seeing the links put up Salvadora, I forgot about the best of GSC. I should replay them again, although my Gold's internal battery stopped working. :(

Pretty much every game after Diamond and Pearl has a fantastic evil team battle theme; hopefully X and Y continue the trend.

B/W had the worst music, plz stahp
Black and White had Nimbasa and Driftveil; that alone easily makes them better than the snore-fest of DPPl.

Kokonoe

Banned
For me, music wise, it's...

Original GS -> Original RB -> Pokemon TCG&TCG2 / Stadium 1&2 -> XD/Colosseum -> RS / DP / HGSS -> FRLG (don't care for this OST much tbh) -> BW2 -> BW1

Love all of the OSTs outside of FRLG and BW games. BW2 did have a pretty cool rival song, though, and BW1's Plasma was the best song in that game. All of those other games have great soundtracks, though.

Kyzer

Banned
DPPt had Eterna Forest, you guys are crazy.

BW sounded like. Idk. Not pokemon.

Emotion is tight tho

Edit: Gym Leaders last stand is also really good.

R/B and GSC were pretty good to me...after that Platinum...the sound on my systems for the longest was either really bad or I was playing on a system that didn't have a standard headphone port (Seriously, who thought this was a good idea for the GBA?) so I'm not as familiar with Pokemon music as others.

And before anyone asks, a lot of times I was playing the system on the light rail to college so I kind of needed the headphones.

DaBoss

BW2 had my favourite music with BW in second place because it is similar to BW2. The rest are probably a close third. I've always enjoyed Pokémon's music. Though D/P/Pt's are the least memorable for me, but that may be due to having the least amount of time spent on those games.

I've always found the dislike towards the music in R/S/E weird.

backlot

I spent like 6 hours total breeding these babies:

I'll do it again if I have to, but I'd like to know why, exactly, it'd be a good thing for people like me to have to do that all over again. >_>
The first two are very good. You can definitely use those online. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with that last Larvitar though.

The first two are very good. You can definitely use those online. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with that last Larvitar though.

I might use it for Doubles. It's slower than all Politoed that are not minimum speed, which speed tie with this, but I have no idea how popular min speed Politoed is nowadays so I don't know how much of an issue not having the perfect 0/1 speed IV would be. I'll probably raise the other Larvitar first and then decide later.

Wow, those are some great pieces of creepy art. I love seeing certain Pokes re-imagined like this. While a good amount of them look almost nothing like their original designs, there are a few who almost look like Mega-evolutions. If Gamefreak was going to make Mega-Nidoking, they need to take inspiration from the Nidoking posted on that tumblr.

Toxi

Banned
Wow, those are some great pieces of creepy art. I love seeing certain Pokes re-imagined like this. While a good amount of them look almost nothing like their original designs, there are a few who almost look like Mega-evolutions. If Gamefreak was going to make Mega-Nidoking, they need to take inspiration from the Nidoking posted on that tumblr.
My personal favorite is the Primeape drawing. It doesn't look anything like Primeape, yet its design has the same "feeling" Primeape is supposed to give off. The Pokemon's own anger gets so over-the-top, it just explodes into a mass of fur and grasping arms and angry eyes. The drawing would honestly make a pretty badass Primeape evolution.

I've always found the dislike towards the music in R/S/E weird.
Like holy shit, all of this is amazing, and it's just the route music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfARFF9S5Jg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzec20s-FlU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOoqKHz_D0w

Kyzer

Banned
This is always a really really daft criticism for anything. Music, Pokémon designs, anything.

Let me rephrase.

B/W's music was a lot less melodic and the change in overall instrumentation felt too foreign at times for me to truly associate it with the type of sounds I came to expect from the series.

X/Y look to be a return to form. Sounds more Masuda-ish.

Top Bottom